Middlesbrough 2 - 2 Newcastle - 26/08/07 - Post match reaction from page 18

Dave

Guest Andrew Flintoff

So if this was a racist attack and a disgraceful slur, how come Tuncay wasn't "abused". What about Emre - if it's racism the player doesn't need to be present to be attacked. What about the black players on show, who's names were being chanted and supported?

Attempted moral highground...check.

Guest Ridzuan

I believe whatever that has been said should be forgotten,whether it was meant to be racist or not and that we should try to avoid such chantings in future matches.

Racism is deliberate targetting of one type of race, n'est-ce pas? This was one fella who looked like the shoe bomber.

It's not simply because he's a muslim egyptian then, in a league where there are few arab looking players?  I thought the shoe bomber was a guy with a pony-tail and a beard?

Tuncay and Emre aren't the same race as Mido, are they?  ???

Guest Andrew Flintoff

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1730000/images/_1731568_reid2_ap300.jpg

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/images/articles/2762-7.jpg

Racism is deliberate targetting of one type of race, n'est-ce pas? This was one fella who looked like the shoe bomber.

This country is full of people trying to attatch the racism tag to everything they can in attempt to get a moral foothold.

Exactly my thoughts on this, although we can't be surprised that the newspapers are going to milk it for all its worth.

Bit of a stretch nowadays like

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d1/Richard_reid.jpg/200px-Richard_reid.jpghttp://images.sportinglife.com/07/08/330/Mido_Middlesbrough_557102.jpg

I see the shoe bomber has had his hair cut & is a boro fan, what is Mido doing in a orange boiler suit.

Guest Andrew Flintoff

Course it's a stretch nowadays but that song's been going around since he came over here man, it's probably not acceptable but to call it racist and call everyone bigoted is just ridiculous given that we have Islamic, black, foreign, asian players worshipped past and present. It's a stupid song designed to get a reaction and got it.

If i am to be honest like i have said on te TU forum.

Although i did get carried away , joining in with the chants etc , it was a little bit out of order , but was it not those twats who were calling kieron dyer a rapist and making monkey noises when shola got on the ball last season?

A town full of rapists , bath snatchers , i heard it all last season and this season , so just because out chanting is loud and well heard we get done for it. hmm...

May mean another allocation cut for when we go there next season again OR that  aswell as a big fuck off fine.

P.S. Whats the odds , SHOW RACISM THE RED CARD CAMPAIGN is bigged up at SJP on wednesday and saturday!

This country is full of people trying to attatch the racism tag to everything they can in attempt to get a moral foothold.

You're wrong and sounding increasingly like a sixth former.

Guest Andrew Flintoff

Mate I'm 22 year old, I'm not an idiot and I know racism when I see it. This wasn't, it was a stupid song designed to get a reaction, and it did. End of.

it's probably not acceptable but to call it racist and call everyone bigoted is just ridiculous given that we have Islamic, black, foreign, asian players worshipped past and present

We used to have Tony Cunningham play for us in 1980's & a large portion of crowd used to give out racist abuse to likes of Bobby Barnes, Viv Anderson, John Barnes etc.  Just because we have some players that tick a few boxes dont mean we cant have some racists in our ranks. When Cole or Sir Les used to miss a sitter sometimes you would hear "Useless black b******".

Guest Andrew Flintoff

it's probably not acceptable but to call it racist and call everyone bigoted is just ridiculous given that we have Islamic, black, foreign, asian players worshipped past and present

We used to have Tony Cunningham play for us in 1980's & a large portion of crowd used to give out racist abuse to likes of Barnes, Viv Anderson, John Barnes etc.  Just because we have some players that tick a few boxes dont mean we cant have some racists in our ranks. When Cole or Sir Les used to miss sitter sometimes you would hear "Useless black bastard".

I agree mate but society and football have moved on since those days. They were dark days, everyone accepts that and we have all made a big effort to distance ourselves from that past - I agree it was probably out of order but no-one is having a go because he's Islamic, or genuinely believes he's a paedo. It's a stupid song, nowt more.

Mate I'm 22 year old, I'm not an idiot and I know racism when I see it. This wasn't, it was a stupid song designed to get a reaction, and it did. End of.

Then try to think like one. It was a racist song that was designed to get a reaction. It's embarrassing reading people try to defend the indefensible.

Guest Andrew Flintoff

No it was a song mocking the fact the he does (did) look like the Shoe Bomber gadgy. I'm not being told what to think and not to think, my opinion is that it has fuck all to do with race and more to do with appearance, in the same way that Mark Viduka is a "fat, Aussie bastard".

We used to have Tony Cunningham play for us in 1980's & a large portion of crowd used to give out racist abuse to likes of Barnes, Viv Anderson, John Barnes etc.  Just because we have some players that tick a few boxes dont mean we cant have some racists in our ranks. When Cole or Sir Les used to miss sitter sometimes you would hear "Useless black bastard".

I recall the chant "He's black, he's broon, he's playing for the Toon, Cooningham, Coonighham" back then.

Back then racism was far more prevalent, although even then it died out at some grounds much later than others.

Obviously, given the make-up of the area around Villa Park, we hear it more often than at some other grounds, and it almost always comes from fans of teams from less multi-ethnic areas (and, if I'm entirely honest about it, one of the worst examples of it in recent years was from Newcastle fans before the game). Does this mean "Newcastle fans are racist"? No.

The point is:

1. Racism is wrong regardless of who it is targetted at.

2. Getting pissed and carried away whilst on an away trip does not excuse it.

3. A few pricks chanting racist crap in an away support of 3000 doesn't mean the entire support is racist, it just means there are a few underevolved morons there.

4. Suggesting that chanting things about shoe bombers at a player of Arab descent is not racist is deluded, and only a small step away from that ludicrous "'Paki isn't an offensive word, it is just an abbreviation, like Aussie' argument".

No it was a song mocking the fact the he does (did) look like the Shoe Bomber gadgy. I'm not being told what to think and not to think, my opinion is that it has fuck all to do with race and more to do with appearance, in the same way that Mark Viduka is a "fat, Aussie bastard".

you're embarrassing.

No it was a song mocking the fact the he does (did) look like the Shoe Bomber gadgy. I'm not being told what to think and not to think, my opinion is that it has f*** all to do with race and more to do with appearance, in the same way that Mark Viduka is a "fat, Aussie b******".

There is a lot of shite spoken on this forum. This one takes the biscuit. Embarrassed for you.

Guest Andrew Flintoff

Alright then - it has fuckall to do with him looking like the shoe bomber, we are all bigoted, we hate all black people, asian people and anyone with a different race to us.

Thats why we sing N'Zogbia's name, or Geremi is our captain.

The players used to call Andy Griffin 'Fred West' due to his likeness to the Cromwell St Murderer.

You're not allowed to take the piss out of anyone remotely foreign now. Was calling Hasselbaink a 'fat Eddie Murphy' racist too?

Alright then - it has fuckall to do with him looking like the shoe bomber, we are all bigoted, we hate all black people, asian people and anyone with a different race to us.

Thats why we sing N'Zogbia's name, or Geremi is our captain.

Grow up.