Middlesbrough 2 - 2 Newcastle - 26/08/07 - Post match reaction from page 18

Dave

Alright then - it has fuckall to do with him looking like the shoe bomber, we are all bigoted, we hate all black people, asian people and anyone with a different race to us.

Thats why we sing N'Zogbia's name, or Geremi is our captain.

Nice spin, Flintoff.

Guest Andrew Flintoff

The players used to call Andy Griffin 'Fred West' due to his likeness to the Cromwell St Murderer.

You're not allowed to take the piss out of anyone remotely foreign now. Was calling Hasselbaink a 'fat Eddie Murphy' racist too?

My point exactly, but don't express it SSR or you become racist by proxy.

The players used to call Andy Griffin 'Fred West' due to his likeness to the Cromwell St Murderer.

You're not allowed to take the piss out of anyone remotely foreign now. Was calling Hasselbaink a 'fat Eddie Murphy' racist too?

I hardly think that's the same as calling a Muslim player a terrorist, is it? If you can't see how that could be misconstrued or thought to be racist, you're thick as two short planks, mate.

I hardly think that's the same as calling a Muslim player a terrorist, is it? If you can't see how that could be misconstrued or thought to be racist, you're thick as two short planks, mate.

Plankist.

(Some tremendous hand-wringing on here at the moment.)

My point exactly, but don't express it SSR or you become racist by proxy.

When in a hole.........

Guest michaeljbuck

Err, surely the first example he gave, which was calling Andy Griffin "Fred West", is just as bad? He's calling somebody a serial killer based on their appearance. Or does that excuse only work for ethnic minority players?

Err, surely the first example he gave, which was calling Andy Griffin "Fred West", is just as bad? He's calling somebody a serial killer based on their appearance. Or does that excuse only work for ethnic minority players?

I can understand if some fans are trying to wind him up, but calling a Muslim player a terrorist--regardless of how much he looks like the fucking shoe bomber--is sailing fucking close to the wind, as well you know.

Lets not fucking kid people or put spin on it. Mido got the abuse about being a  shoe bomb/terrorist because he is Arab a & a Muslim. Griffin got dubbed Fred because some of his features look like Fred West. Hardly the same is it, Shola getting monkey noise's from the holier than fooking Christ himself Boro fans last season is in the same category as some of the stuff Mido got his way.

Even if he looks (looked) like the Shoe Bomber ffs?

You're making a proper tit of yourself. Why not just stop? Then I can uncurl my toes.

No, man. Regardless of how he looks, you can't call a Muslim a fucking terrorist without expecting to get some flak and be branded a racist. Call him a fat, useless, workshy tosser.

If it was about race, how come Tuncay didn't receive the same abuse?

I can guarantee you that Tuncay won't have found it funny. Doubt very much that Emre would see the funny side either.

-

No one has a problem if that was the reason i.e JFH getting the fat Eddie stuff BUT lets not kid anyone Mido got the abuse because he is a Arab Muslim. Most of our fans would only know what the shoe bomber looked like when his size 9's are exploding.

Guest Andrew Flintoff

Why the hell would they call him the shoe bomber then if it had nowt to do with...the shoe bomber??

lived and worked in saudi arabia for a long time and, YES the mido chants were rascist- if he looked like the shoe bomber and wasn't a muslim it might have been all right.

that said though, i still have a lot of saudi mates and we're always making jokes about terrorism and islam- but it's a trust thing and 3,000 fans shouting slurs at mido is hardly the same thing.

I though he just generally had a bomb in this little ditty, I can't remember it being specifically in his shoe?

The Fat Eddie Murphy thing proves the point, no-one suggested that was racist even though it was comparing one black guy to another black guy.

If it was about race, how come Tuncay didn't receive the same abuse?

He is a European Muslim & not a Arab Muslim, its it mainly/always your Arab/Asian Muslim that gets the terrorist baiting. Anelka another Euo Muslim has never got Muzzy abuse that I know of  & doubt your black African Muslim like Faye at Bolton has either.

Why the hell would they call him the shoe bomber then if it had nowt to do with...the shoe bomber??

Mob mentality, someone makes a witty song others join in because it sounds funny & are so glum they don't realise that it is racist.

I though he just generally had a bomb in this little ditty, I can't remember it being specifically in his shoe?

The Fat Eddie Murphy thing proves the point, no-one suggested that was racist even though it was comparing one black guy to another black guy.

there's a difference likening someone to a famous actor because of looks and likenenig somebody to a radical "islamic" terrorists becaues of his religion. honestly the ignorance on this forum is unbelievable

there's a difference likening someone to a famous actor because of looks and likenenig somebody to a radical "islamic" terrorists becaues of his religion. honestly the ignorance on this forum is unbelievable

That was exactly my point mate, people are sayign it's acceptable and no different that that.  I'm pointing out no-one accused people signing that of being racist because it's a totally different kettle of fish.

That was exactly my point mate, people are sayign it's acceptable and no different that that.  I'm pointing out no-one accused people signing that of being racist because it's a totally different kettle of fish.

ah.. right.. got the wrong impression there