Steven Taylor

SUPERTOON

Guest Knightrider

I think he needs to start learning and start learning quick. He's young - yes, but he's had (iirc) over 70 starts for the first team now. What I am getting at is, he needs to know what his strengths are and what his weaknesses are and use this knowledge to be the best player he can be. He isn't slow but he isn't blessed with lightning pace either, so he needs to start reading the game a bit better. I also think he thinks he's a better footballer than he is and this sometimes gets him into trouble. I think he's a bit better than your average 'safety first' hoof it into the stands, typical English defender but he needs know when to play and when to just clear the ball. He's also rash at times (like on Sunday) and I know he's young but he'll only improve if he learns from these mistakes. As for his strengths - he is a big, strong, powerful lad and I think he needs to be the centre-half who normally attacks the high balls. I think sometimes he fancies himself as the one who is sweeping - not his game imo. Basically, he needs to play to his strengths and not believe his own press / get carried away by the England call-up, etc.

Agree with most of that, especially reading of the game, if he does that just a little bit more, half the issues that effect him or are perceived to effect him will go away because really, that's what being a defender is all about. However not many 21 year-olds are excellent readers of the game, this can only come with good coaching, guidance and experience, something Taylor has lacked or lacks.

I think he needs to be the lead defender, the defender who attacks the ball, or pushes up, who gets on the ball and comes out with it, partnered with someone who stands off and reads play, who will organise and guide from his position. I'm not sure Rozzy is that player, Maybe Cacapa is?

Anyway we shouldn't be too hard on Taylor, we should indeed be encouraged that we have a young defender with his talent or potential on our books. I guarantee if we put him on the market tomorrow for say £5m, Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool would all show an interest because there aren't many English defenders with his ability and potential around.

I'm sick of seeing his every mistake or flaw highlighted and then exaggerated, it used to be his good points  that got exaggerated but it seems he doesn't have any anymore, even being a Geordie gets picked up on and used against him.

Watch him for England under 21s, he's immense. He's had a few moments like for them, a red card, an own goal and some rash decisions but in general whenever I've seen him he's been head and shoulders the best defender on the pitch and showed real potential. People were wanking over Richards play for England the other night. I saw Taylor for the under 21s bring the ball out of defence, sidestep a few players, play the ball to the right flank, get himself in the box and then send a header from the resulting cross just over. He's a really good footballer, never mind defending. People need to stop expecting too much and being so negative about a bairn's game (in football terms).

Problem is (and people have acknowledged they do this before) when people start to overrate a player there is a group who will decide they need to balance it out and go the other way. Half the time they don't even believe what they are saying but its obvious when they are doing it because the first things they come out with are "well people are claiming him to be the next John Terry" etc..

Then they are idiots, judge a player on merit.

I think he needs to start learning and start learning quick. He's young - yes, but he's had (iirc) over 70 starts for the first team now. What I am getting at is, he needs to know what his strengths are and what his weaknesses are and use this knowledge to be the best player he can be. He isn't slow but he isn't blessed with lightning pace either, so he needs to start reading the game a bit better. I also think he thinks he's a better footballer than he is and this sometimes gets him into trouble. I think he's a bit better than your average 'safety first' hoof it into the stands, typical English defender but he needs know when to play and when to just clear the ball. He's also rash at times (like on Sunday) and I know he's young but he'll only improve if he learns from these mistakes. As for his strengths - he is a big, strong, powerful lad and I think he needs to be the centre-half who normally attacks the high balls. I think sometimes he fancies himself as the one who is sweeping - not his game imo. Basically, he needs to play to his strengths and not believe his own press / get carried away by the England call-up, etc.

Agree with most of that, especially reading of the game, if he does that just a little bit more, half the issues that effect him or are perceived to effect him will go away because really, that's what being a defender is all about. However not many 21 year-olds are excellent readers of the game, this can only come with good coaching, guidance and experience, something Taylor has lacked or lacks.

I think he needs to be the lead defender, the defender who attacks the ball, or pushes up, who gets on the ball and comes out with it, partnered with someone who stands off and reads play, who will organise and guide from his position. I'm not sure Rozzy is that player, Maybe Cacapa is?

Anyway we shouldn't be too hard on Taylor, we should indeed be encouraged that we have a young defender with his talent or potential on our books. I guarantee if we put him on the market tomorrow for say £5m, Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool would all show an interest because there aren't many English defenders with his ability and potential around.

I'm sick of seeing his every mistake or flaw highlighted and then exaggerated, it used to be his good points  that got exaggerated but it seems he doesn't have any anymore, even being a Geordie gets picked up on and used against him.

Watch him for England under 21s, he's immense. He's had a few moments like for them, a red card, an own goal and some rash decisions but in general whenever I've seen him he's been head and shoulders the best defender on the pitch and showed real potential. People were wanking over Richards play for England the other night. I saw Taylor for the under 21s bring the ball out of defence, sidestep a few players, play the ball to the right flank, get himself in the box and then send a header from the resulting cross just over. He's a really good footballer, never mind defending. People need to stop expecting too much and being so negative about a bairn's game (in football terms).

Rozenhal looks that sort of player to me actually. He definitely likes to 'sweep' while his partner attacks the ball. Cacapa is more like Taylor, judging by the little I've seen of him, in that he likes to attack the ball too (despite his being quite short for a Premier League centre-half).

Guest Knightrider

Rozenhal looks that sort of player to me actually. He definitely likes to 'sweep' while his partner attacks the ball. Cacapa is more like Taylor, judging by the little I've seen of him, in that he likes to attack the ball too (despite his being quite short for a Premier League centre-half).

From what I've seen Rozenhal seems to like doing both, attacking and sweeping. He has a tendency to vacate his position, push up right on his man and get himself spun or taken out of the game. He's done this a few times now which has resulted in attacks on our goal or him having to track back furiously, or for another player to vacate his own position to fill in. He's also cocked a few challenges higher up the pitch after losing it or being spun too easily. He doesn't do this well and should stick to sweeping which he has impressed me greatly with. That said, I wouldn't be too worried as I think this is mostly due to his settling in and wanting to do well. He looks a very good player for us.

I've noticed that our defence seems to be backing off the ball so much more so than they've done in the past. Hopefully this is something that's meant to happen and not them being afraid of being told off by BS after getting skinned by the attacker or something equally dodgy.

From what I've seen Rozenhal seems to like doing both, attacking and sweeping. He has a tendency to vacate his position, push up right on his man and get himself spun or taken out of the game. He's done this a few times now which has resulted in attacks on our goal or him having to track back furiously, or for another player to vacate his own position to fill in. He's also cocked a few challenges higher up the pitch after losing it or being spun too easily. He doesn't do this well and should stick to sweeping which he has impressed me greatly with. That said, I wouldn't be too worried as I think this is mostly due to his settling in and wanting to do well. He looks a very good player for us.

Yeah, spot on assessment.

He is good and a steal at the price.

He is good and a steal at the price.

I agree, I just thought it summed up how he's done so far. Trying a bit too hard perhaps and not sticking to what he's good at. I like the look of him though.

I reckon Rozenhal is, on the evidence so far,one of the best value-for-money buys of the summer.

As has been pointed out, he does sometimes have a tendency to be caught upfield, but this doesn't happen often.

He is a very mobile CB, and that is what modern Central defending is all about - mobility and comfort on the ball as well as being able to tackle.If Capaca turns out to be similar(and he looked good in his short appearance on Sunday)then Sam has made 2 really excellent signings - the sort that none of our recent managers - an I include SBR in that assessment - have seemed able to pull off.

They have all spent huge amounts on players, but very few have come close to being as good value as these 2 seem to be, bearing in mind the financial outlay.

I reckon Rozenhal is, on the evidence so far,one of the best value-for-money buys of the summer.

As has been pointed out, he does sometimes have a tendency to be caught upfield, but this doesn't happen often.

He is a very mobile CB, and that is what modern Central defending is all about - mobility and comfort on the ball as well as being able to tackle.If Capaca turns out to be similar(and he looked good in his short appearance on Sunday)then Sam has made 2 really excellent signings - the sort that none of our recent managers - an I include SBR in that assessment - have seemed able to pull off.

They have all spent huge amounts on players, but very few have come close to being as good value as these 2 seem to be, bearing in mind the financial outlay.

Rozehnal is a looking good to be honest. Cacapa looked strong and pacy and on that basis I would quite happily let the three (or 4 if Faye is here) use their talents in different situations. Taylor will get a game but I can't help but feel he will have a fair old struggle on his hands. In many ways it will do him the world of good. He got in the side on reputation as a good youngster. So far he has believed his own press. It's time he worked on his weaknesses. If he does that then he may well end up a good Premiership player. Good luck to the kid.

Rozehnal is a looking good to be honest. Cacapa looked strong and pacy and on that basis I would quite happily let the three (or 4 if Faye is here) use their talents in different situations. Taylor will get a game but I can't help but feel he will have a fair old struggle on his hands. In many ways it will do him the world of good. He got in the side on reputation as a good youngster. So far he has believed his own press. It's time he worked on his weaknesses. If he does that then he may well end up a good Premiership player. Good luck to the kid.

Good post, agree with all of that.

We really are in trouble if some "supporters" believe that Taylor isn't good enough for us!

Decent Premiership club (prone to shooting itself in the foot) has a decent Premiership player (prone to dropping the odd clanger). Ceteris paribus. Personally I'd rather get away from that Jimmy and demand better. Much as I am derided for pointing out the failings of our young players, well it's just that they arent very good. Not bad, just not going to take us very far. We need better if we intend to end the current state of mediocrity, particularly when other teams of similar size are investing so heavily in (or already have) better.

Decent squad players. That's what they should be. If those two are in the first team next year then we can conclude the manager and owner have very little ambition.

He's widely viewed as one of the most promising young English centre backs. Pearce and Maclaren both rate him highly and expect him to progress and challenge for the full England side in time. As I said previously, if he's not good enough for us we are in trouble. Do we go down the Marcellino and Bramble route or do we nurture and support one our own? There is only one option for true supporters of NUFC.

I agree with most of what you have said there, but I cant say I've seen signs of Taylor believing his own press. He seems like a decent professional... unless I've missed something.

I agree with most of what you have said there, but I cant say I've seen signs of Taylor believing his own press. He seems like a decent professional... unless I've missed something.

I think it's more a case of him thinking he can do things he can't, especially in possession, than him thinking he's a Billy Big Bollocks.

We really are in trouble if some "supporters" believe that Taylor isn't good enough for us!

Decent Premiership club (prone to shooting itself in the foot) has a decent Premiership player (prone to dropping the odd clanger). Ceteris paribus. Personally I'd rather get away from that Jimmy and demand better. Much as I am derided for pointing out the failings of our young players, well it's just that they arent very good. Not bad, just not going to take us very far. We need better if we intend to end the current state of mediocrity, particularly when other teams of similar size are investing so heavily in (or already have) better.

Decent squad players. That's what they should be. If those two are in the first team next year then we can conclude the manager and owner have very little ambition.

He's widely viewed as one of the most promising young English centre backs. Pearce and Maclaren both rate him highly and expect him to progress and challenge for the full England side in time. As I said previously, if he's not good enough for us we are in trouble. Do we go down the Marcellino and Bramble route or do we nurture and support one our own? There is only one option for true supporters of NUFC.

The last bit made me giggle. Believe me, if we had Terry, Woodgate, Ferdinand and Carragher here then I would quite happily sell him. That would be the only option to the true supporter of NUFC surely?

The last bit made me giggle. Believe me, if we had Terry, Woodgate, Ferdinand and Carragher here then I would quite happily sell him. That would be the only option to the true supporter of NUFC surely?

That's exactly the type of attitude that does my box in. We can all pick the dream team we'd like to see in black and white shirts and too many people compare theirs with what we've got and are inevitably disappointed. It's a post Sky syndrome and probably got something to do with those poxy Premiership manager games a lot of you like to play.

That's exactly the type of attitude that does my box in. We can all pick the dream team we'd like to see in black and white shirts and too many people compare theirs with what we've got and are inevitably disappointed. It's a post Sky syndrome and probably got something to do with those poxy Premiership manager games a lot of you like to play.

Lots of assumptions there Jimmy. Mostly inaccurate. Pretty lame way to get your point across too. So let me get this right. You would prefer a worse footballer provided he came through the academy? You're a strange boy.

Let me ask you this, if we had those 4 would you still want Taylor in the side? If not, why not?

Under what circumstances would any club in the world have all those four? ???

That's not the point. Jimmy claims there is only one course of action for 'true supporters of NUFC' and that is to nurture Steven Taylor.

It isn't. In my view we probably will have 3 better players ourselves by this Friday in his position. I took it to the extreme and pointed out that is wasn't the only option.

Getting better than you already have is a far more sensible option. Those 4 are a country mile better.

Just my view though.

Lots of assumptions there Jimmy. Mostly inaccurate. Pretty lame way to get your point across too. So let me get this right. You would prefer a worse footballer provided he came through the academy? You're a strange boy.

Let me ask you this, if we had those 4 would you still want Taylor in the side? If not, why not?

Woodgate is a crock, Carragher and Ferdinand are nearly 30. I would probably loan him out :razz:

You need a reality check "boy"!

We don't have, and never will have, the players you mentioned. Like I said stop playing Premiership Manager and start supporting the team we do have. This includes forgiving the odd mistake from young, home grown talent who are still learning their trade.

Guest Darth Toon

I think his actual biggest flaw is trying to be too clever, the manager pin pointed this when he picked up an injury in a friendly, when all he had to do was put it out of play. This attitude permeates every part of his game at the moment, whether it be a sly push, tug, or over playing the ball when coming out with it. Fix that and you fix a lot of problems. Add some experience alongside him, good coaching and give him a few years to mature, then we'll all be in a much better position to judge.

That's a decent point - taking John Terry as an example, he rarely does anything spectacular that stands out in a game, but he does all the defensive basics, very, very well. That should be Taylor's model, to be solid on a consistent basis, rather than trying to be a ball-playing continental-style centre back, which he's never going to be.

We don't have, and never will have, the players you mentioned. Like I said stop playing Premiership Manager and start supporting the team we do have. This includes forgiving the odd mistake from young, home grown talent who are still learning their trade.

So you have come to the conclusion that you were indeed talking nonsense then Jimmy? It's not the only course of action? Just pointing out the problem with that sort of comment.

Of course we forgive the odd mistake. It's not unconditional love though, is it? He's ok. As I mentioned earlier.

Nb: What the fuck is Premiership Manager?

Does supporting the team include booing players who may well have turned out for us pre-season?

So you have come to the conclusion that you were indeed talking nonsense then Jimmy? It's not the only course of action? Just pointing out the problem with that sort of comment.

Of course we forgive the odd mistake. It's not unconditional love though, is it? He's ok. As I mentioned earlier.

Nb: What the fuck is Premiership Manager?

Does supporting the team include booing players who may well have turned out for us pre-season?

No, I haven't come to that conclusion and I'm rather bored with your condescending attitude.

IMO Taylor should always play with one of the other experienced centre backs we've recently bought. He is learning, he is progressing and I still think he will be a great player for NUFC.

I'll ignore your last "point" as it doesn't have any relevence to this thread.

Nb: What the f*** is Premiership Manager?

No, I haven't come to that conclusion and I'm rather bored with your condescending attitude.

IMO Taylor should always play with one of the other experienced centre backs we've recently bought. He is learning, he is progressing and I still think he will be a great player for NUFC.

I'll ignore your last "point" as it doesn't have any relevence to this thread.

Course the last point does, after your insistance that we 'support the team'. Maybe you're jsut a bit embarrassed about the contradiction.

As for Taylor being a 'great' player. Hope he is. Convinced he won't be.