Steven Taylor

SUPERTOON

Should not be sold, if he can be developed into a defender who can hold his own at the level we are looking for he will be a great asset. You need a couple of players who truly feels for the club and can inspire the rest, Terry and Lampard for Chelsea, Carragher and Gerrard for Liverpool, Scholes, Neville and Giggs for Man Utd etc. Maybe Taylor along with players like Given and maybe Barton can fill that role for us in the future.

21 year old central defender who isn't the finished article, we wont have that at Newcastle no no no! Sell him now!

That Woodgate is a bit shit aswell like, completely outmuscled by Viduka yesterday, can't believe he managed to get a shot away so easily! Not the first time either, seem to remember him and Given fucking up at Wolves to cost us a goal, shocking defender in all honesty! Kind of reminds me of that other poor defender,  Sol Campbell! Diving in at Robert like a complete idiot, probably why he never made it as a top defender aswell.

21 year old central defender who isn't the finished article, we wont have that at Newcastle no no no! Sell him now!

That Woodgate is a bit shit aswell like, completely outmuscled by Viduka yesterday, can't believe he managed to get a shot away so easily! Not the first time either, seem to remember him and Given fucking up at Wolves to cost us a goal, shocking defender in all honesty! Kind of reminds me of that other poor defender,  Sol Campbell! Diving in at Robert like a complete idiot, probably why he never made it as a top defender aswell.

Good points well made.

Shouldn't be sold. No way. However, he should not be in the first team either, as he just isn't that type of talent. He should spend the next couple of seasons on the bench learning behind Roz and Cacapa. He can then take over from Cacapa in a couple of seasons when he will still just be 23 and in a far better position to handle first team responsibilities.

The whole thing makes me laugh, some people are so deluded its unreal.

So he isn't as good as Ferdinand or Terry were at his age, fuck a duck! The lad isnt as good as the two best centre backs in the league were, get rid!

Then people say you are making excuses for the lad when you point out some of his partners over the last few years! Im sure John Terry didn't learn a thing playing alongside Desailly! The whole Gazza comparison is a pile of piss aswell, you really don't want individuals in defence and if Gazza made a fantastic run and lost the ball (ie made a mistake) it is quite likely its going to be a hell of a lot less damaging than if Taylor does it. But then I suppose "proper" defenders don't ever make mistakes! Just hope I live long enough to see one of these magical creatures!

That Woodgate is a bit s*** aswell like, completely outmuscled by Viduka yesterday, can't believe he managed to get a shot away so easily!

Well he didn't actually. Woodgate marked him superbly and it took a supreme piece of skill and strength to actually score a goal from that position. I don't think Mido had to work quite as hard for his goal and Taylor was at fault. That doesn't mean he's a bad player, or that he's about to be sold, just that he's still not ready to be a first team regular IMO.

That Woodgate is a bit s*** aswell like, completely outmuscled by Viduka yesterday, can't believe he managed to get a shot away so easily!

Well he didn't actually. Woodgate marked him superbly and it took a supreme piece of skill and strength to actually score a goal from that position. I don't think Mido had to work quite as hard for his goal and Taylor was at fault. That doesn't mean he's a bad player, or that he's about to be sold, just that he's still not ready to be a first team regular IMO.

I knew Woodgate wouldn't be at fault in any way :lol:

I wouldn't sell him any price, he makes a few mistakes, but he's still only 21 and overall looks very promising. I think he's only going to get better.

... is pretty much exactly what Allardyce would say.

Guest Magpiecn

Shouldn't be sold. No way. However, he should not be in the first team either, as he just isn't that type of talent. He should spend the next couple of seasons on the bench learning behind Roz and Cacapa. He can then take over from Cacapa in a couple of seasons when he will still just be 23 and in a far better position to handle first team responsibilities.

Good points.

I wont sell at this moment.Taylor isnt as good as Terry when JT was at 21,but it doesnt mean Taylor wont be as good as Terry does now when hes at 27

Very harsh comparing him to Terry and Ferdinand. I don't see people comparing Milner to Beckham or N'Zogbia to Ribery and criticising them. Totally unfair.

It has been so difficult in recent years for a centre back to break into the England team that Carragher has given up trying. To suggest that Ferdinand and Woodgate broke in at a young age means nothing, very few top class defenders break through that early.

Cant believe people want to drop Taylor

he should play at right back learning more about being a defender with rozenhal and cacapa in the middle with n'zogbia or enrique at left back

we have got a good few young players that will only get better...taylor, milner, n'zogbia and even martins

Good points.

I wont sell at this moment.Taylor isnt as good as Terry when JT was at 21,but it doesnt mean Taylor wont be as good as Terry does now when hes at 27

I am not sure if Terry is any good at 21. Pretty sure he wasn't playing regular first team football is all I could say.

You have Cacapa and Rozenhal who are both good readers of the game, and good organiser of the defense. Cacapa is vastly experienced and rich in leadership quality.

Taylor should stay and learn. This is the first time he has some competent seniors to look up to. If in a year or two he hasn't shown any sign of improvement or capacity to learn, then get rid.

So he isn't as good as Ferdinand or Terry were at his age, f*** a duck! The lad isnt as good as the two best centre backs in the league were, get rid!

Then people say you are making excuses for the lad when you point out some of his partners over the last few years! Im sure John Terry didn't learn a thing playing alongside Desailly! The whole Gazza comparison is a pile of piss aswell, you really don't want individuals in defence and if Gazza made a fantastic run and lost the ball (ie made a mistake) it is quite likely its going to be a hell of a lot less damaging than if Taylor does it. But then I suppose "proper" defenders don't ever make mistakes! Just hope I live long enough to see one of these magical creatures!

I think people just want to point out that he isn't going to be the panacea that some deluded folk think he will. He's nowhere near Micah Richards in any position on a football pitch, or Wes Brown at the same age. Lower expectations might help the lad, he'a not bad but a long long way from the finished article.

Nb: You clearly never saw Gazza in 1986/87 did you? He was as disciplined a midfielder as we have had. without that discipline we were down.

One day you might benefit from watching things at SJP Jon, you get to see people off the ball as well as on it.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Taylor has made a poor start to the season. But he is still a useful squad player.

With Faye being signed Taylor will be the 4th choice centre back.

But there's nothing wrong with having a bit of strength in depth. something we've lacked in recent years.

So he isn't as good as Ferdinand or Terry were at his age, f*** a duck! The lad isnt as good as the two best centre backs in the league were, get rid!

I think people just want to point out that he isn't going to be the panacea that some deluded folk think he will. He's nowhere near Micah Richards in any position on a football pitch, or Wes Brown at the same age. Lower expectations might help the lad, he'a not bad but a long long way from the finished article.

Nb: You clearly never saw Gazza in 1986/87 did you? He was as disciplined a midfielder as we have had. without that discipline we were down.

One day you might benefit from watching things at SJP Jon, you get to see people off the ball as well as on it.

If you can't see the point about comparing a midfielder with a defender then you are to fucking thick to have a conversation with.

I was at the last home game, ohhh look at me superfantastic aren't I! Idiot!

Very harsh comparing him to Terry and Ferdinand. I don't see people comparing Milner to Beckham or N'Zogbia to Ribery and criticising them. Totally unfair.

It has been so difficult in recent years for a centre back to break into the England team that Carragher has given up trying. To suggest that Ferdinand and Woodgate broke in at a young age means nothing, very few top class defenders break through that early.

Micah Richards did. I'll reiterate. Taylor is decent. Not the top class centre half people seem intent on assuming he will be. The likes of Woodgate and Ferdinand were way better at his age, as is Richards.

I have no problem with the lad. I think he will do well if he gets his head sorted out and realises he needs to concentrate on himself rather than try to be captain courageous. He's fine, just not as good as those mentioned here at comparable ages. Richards doesnt seem to have been affected too greatly by life with mediocre centre halfs and a revolving managers door either.

Guest Sniffer

No central defenders will look that good at Newcastle until we get in two decent fullbacks taht don't  leave them exposed.

Would not sell Ramage, never mind Taylor.  We need bodies. Simple as that.

As for Taylor's potential it's certainly useless to be making any judgements right now. For every Alan Shearer banging the goals in at age 17, there's a player like Drogba who's hardly even noticed before his mid-twenties.

Players develop at a different pace. Just because Taylor isn't as good as Richards right now doesn't mean he won't be at any point in his career. (Two very different types of defenders, anyway.)