Steven Taylor

SUPERTOON

Do you not think Taylor's age being used to explain his shortcomings should be balanced against all the first team starts he now has? 100+ in competitive games iirc.

Again that just shows our over reliance on a young defender.

Shows how shit we really are. When you having to play someone so young (and a defenders greatest asset is his experience) for so long and so frequent while playing poorly reflects more on the club than it does him.

Another excuse tbh. He should have learned a hell of a lot and progressed during that time. He hasn't. And he's got a lot of experience.

He's never experienced playing in a decent side, and it tells.

That's another excuse imo. He would probably have benefitted from playing alongside a Campbell-type CB, I accept that. But I don't see how that would have improved him that much. What other players get the same excuses made for them though? It's never his fault in the eyes of his fans. It's always the midfield in front of him, the bloke alongside him etc.

If you that desperate to get rid of him, which players would you get rid of before him?

Is he number one? 2 3 4 7?

Changing tack now I see. I'd be happy to let him go for good money, I'd be happy for him to stay (in the short-term, i.e. next season) if he's number 4 CB.

Good money for a shit player? So £1m if that since he's that shite and has no redeeming qualities as a defender. You be happy with that?

It's absolute hilarious the way you try to twist things. All you've done is provide excuses for him and not said once what's good about him. Given he's young and English and played a lot for the under 21s it's not beyond the realms of possibility that someone would pay over the odds for him, is it? Maybe even £4-5m. However, the idea that (hypothetically) someone paying that for him makes him a good player is as unsound as saying Bramble was good because we payed Ipswich that much.

Do you not think Taylor's age being used to explain his shortcomings should be balanced against all the first team starts he now has? 100+ in competitive games iirc.

Again that just shows our over reliance on a young defender.

Shows how shit we really are. When you having to play someone so young (and a defenders greatest asset is his experience) for so long and so frequent while playing poorly reflects more on the club than it does him.

Another excuse tbh. He should have learned a hell of a lot and progressed during that time. He hasn't. And he's got a lot of experience.

He's never experienced playing in a decent side, and it tells.

What about say someone like Richards? Who last season had been playing in awful Man City sides, yet was still showing his ability?

The same Richards who should of conceded two pens in one match last night? The same Richards who's looked better for England than Citeh this season?

Fancy that he had one bad game. You're completely ignoring my point about last season as well. Congratulations.

You are comparing Taylor to England's hottest defensive prospect, yet people get ridiculed for comparing Taylor to Terry.

Jesus wept tbh.

No. I was going an example of a defender shining in a poor side.

You still haven't answered my question as well as to what he is actually good at.

Poor side aye, but one which defensively had some continuity not to mention a certain Dunne playing out of his skin and in the form of his life. Taylor had Bramble, or equivalent.

Why should i? Whatever i say you'll dismiss so i cannot be arsed to go through the motions.

It's funny how you'll defend him to the hilt TT but not even answer what he's good at. I suspect that's because you know that'll be swiftly debunked.

All this crap about putting him alongside a better defender...if I just saw him doing the basics right I could go along with it. Defenders who don't mark won't look good next to anyone. Taylor's forte is waving his arms around and then standing in front of the goal trying to block incoming shots with his body or hands whichever it takes. He's bigger than Cacapa so at least that's something he does better.

Exactly! This is the thing for me too! Just show me something!

It's like I said about Wheater, he's not the most amazing or talented prospect, but you know what he's about. He is strong and he bullies a good number of strikers. He is also quite dominant in the air.

What does Taylor give our defensive unit? I can't think of one thing he consistently provides for us. Not one!

It's funny how you'll defend him to the hilt TT but not even answer what he's good at. I suspect that's because you know that'll be swiftly debunked.

Again:

Why should i? Whatever i say you'll dismiss so i cannot be arsed to go through the motions.

Its also equally as funny why you haven't listed who should go before him, and lets play a little game, who should replace him.

I guess he's the 1st out of the door, replaced with John Terry or Nesta.

Again:

:lol: All you have to do is list what you think he's good at. If I disagree, so what. Name one fucking thing he's good at. Don't say defending btw :razz: I want specifics. If you're going to take the 'why should I?' attitude, why even try and defend him. You're not answering says it all man.

Again:

Its also equally as funny why you haven't listed who should go before him, and lets play a little game, who should replace him.

Noted the edit. He wouldn't be first out the door, although I never said he would be, nor did I say we'd automatically replace him with a world class CB either. You know that though. It's clutching at straws. Plus, I've already said under what circumstances I'd happily see him leave and stay. Obviously the likes of Barton, Carr and some others would be shown the door first if it was down to me.

Again:

:lol: All you have to do is list what you think he's good at. If I disagree, so what. Name one fucking thing he's good at. Don't say defending btw :razz: I want specifics. If you're going to take the 'why should I?' attitude, why even try and defend him. You're not answering says it all man.

Last gap defending (tackling, blocks, clearances), which seems to be the only thing that saves us from cricket scores.

I think he's a good all rounder, and all those skills would be brought forward in a solid team, and if KK gets his act together, Taylor will shine in the future.

Again:

Noted the edit. He wouldn't be first out the door, although I never said he would be, nor did I say we'd automatically replace him with a world class CB either. You know that though. It's clutching at straws. Plus, I've already said under what circumstances I'd happily see him leave and stay. Obviously the likes of Barton, Carr and some others would be shown the door first if it was down to me.

Just Barton & Carr?

What about Ramage, Butt, Duff, Owen, Ameobi, Viduka, Emre, Milner, Enrique, Cacapa all which provide a hell of a lot less to the team than Taylor.

Again:

Just Barton & Carr?

What about Ramage, Butt, Duff, Owen, Ameobi, Viduka, Emre, Milner, Enrique, Cacapa all which provide a hell of a lot less to the team than Taylor.

Isn't that changing the subject a bit?

For the record, some of those would go before him too, aye. Although they wouldn't all be before him. Anything but answer the questions you've been posed though eh?

Again:

Just Barton & Carr?

For the record, some of those would go before him too, aye. Although they wouldn't all be before him. Anything but answer the questions you've been posed though eh?

What more do you want for me, and i'm not going to be bullied into the argument you want.

Again:

Last gap defending (tackling, blocks, clearances), which seems to be the only thing that saves us from cricket scores.

I think he's a good all rounder, and all those skills would be brought forward in a solid team, and if KK gets his act together, Taylor will shine in the future.

That's fair enough. I don't agree one bit but I honestly would love nothing better than being proved wrong about him.

Again:

Just Barton & Carr?

What more do you want for me, and i'm not going to be bullied into the argument you want.

See above. I wasn't trying to bully you into anything btw, you entered into this.

What was he doing for Ronaldo's goal for two nil? Ronaldo was running at him, while Taylor was running backwards as usual. You know why he did the full circle turn? he was looking behind him to see where the posts was so he could make a fantastic goal line clearance - or failing that a flying save followed by the 'shot in the gut act' on conceding a pen. Priceless.

Again:

Just Barton & Carr?

See below. I wasn't trying to bully you into anything btw, you entered into this.

My point was about the state of the club, yet i wasn't allowed to talk about the surroundings of Taylor only Taylor himself, any time i did try to put it across i get accused of side tracking.

What was he doing for Ronaldo's goal for two nil? Ronaldo was running at him, while Taylor was running backwards as usual. You know why he did the full circle turn? he was looking behind him to see where the posts was so he could make a fantastic goal line clearance - or failing that a flying save followed by the 'shot in the gut act' on conceding a pen. Priceless.

Again people bench marking him against the worlds greatest of talents.  bluelaugh.gif

Again people bench marking him against the worlds greatest of talents.  bluelaugh.gif

That goal had absolutely nothing to do with Ronaldo being world class btw.

No it had everything to do with NUFC being shite and a push over, not just Taylor tbf.

Carrick?  A man running at him with the ball while a second man makes a run is a situation he'll face fairly regularly in top flight football.  It didn't matter who the opposition was, he fucked up.

Like I said before about him, he is truly world class at blocking shots.

Trouble is, you only need someone that is good at that when the team is under the cosh, and I don't really want to see us under the cosh all the time.

None of his other attributes are better than average right now, actually I lie, he is also better than many defenders in front of goal, but that's probably it.

I don't particularly remember Carragher being much better at 22, so there is still hope, but I don't want to see him starting on a regular basis, but a squad role with the chance to play fairly regularly alongside a top CB may help him develop.

I think Taylor would be a very effective player to have on the bench though, as he could come on for a striker when we are trying to defend a lead, we'd keep the original defensive unit intact, but use Taylor as a defensive 'headless chicken' to try and close everything down. Also, if we were chasing a game, he could be used as an emergency striker off the bench, and then slot back into defence if and when we get the score back to how we want it.

No it had everything to do with NUFC being shite and a push over, not just Taylor tbf.

Another excuse. He had a mare for that man. You might rate him but you can't argue with that.

I don't want to go on about this, but Taylor for me lacks one of the basics. He doesn't know how to man-mark, he just defends a general area in front off goal. Kaka was spot on when he compared him to Wheater who has come on in leaps and bounds while Taylor still defends like a kid in a local park

If we got rid and replaced him with Wes Brown on a free we would be better off defensively. Even bringin in his under 21 teammate Onuoha would make us better defensively.

This is in reply to TT's question of who we replace him with. It's not that hard to replace Steven Taylor. I would even give Edgar a run of games as soon as we're safe to see what he's about too. I suspect he is a better player also.