Team Spirit.

jimmymag

Interested to read the following points Taylor made in The Journal this morning:-

“We’ve got players here now who really want to play for this club, it's not all about the money,” he said, his criticism thinly-veiled. “In the recent past, people have said that the players were paid too much, but the players now are just concerned about working hard for each other.

“There were lads who got stick at the training ground last season and it was difficult experience when we were out there training. We didn’t get the performances we would have expected from top-quality players, but they’ve gone and I hope we can start a new era where we all play for each other.”

I wonder who he's referring to about players getting stick on the training ground. I read somewhere that Barton gave Dire stick for having a go at Pattinson after he made a poor pass in training, perhaps Dire didn't want to get on the wrong side of Barton so that may have hastened his departure.

Team spirit is a huge part of a successful football club and I'm glad to hear that it's improving at NUFC.

Its all been positive vibes coming out of the team the last few months and it does seem we had a few knackers who were taking the p*ss recently. It has got to be Dyer i would imagine as the other lads we sold seemed to be decent professionals (Parker,Sibierski,etc). Probably why Bowyer sparked him a couple of years ago. I read Smith is playing a big part behind the scenes all nice to hear  :thup:

I think all the players BS has bought should have a positive effect on the team spirit. They are all professionals, sure JB has a checkered history but i have a feeling he will be here for a long time if things go well, he certainly has passion on the pitch. From last season, we can certainly see the value of team spirit and passion, makes players go that extra mile. You might disagree, but players like Gerrard have that passion, and its what can set him above the rest in nasty situations.

From what we have heard this season the team spirit and confidence seems to be great, a few wins and it'll soar. Faith in the manager is also very important, and the contrast from now to 4 months ago is amazing.

Might be a reason why Sam prefers african based players because they come from hard working background. Whilst compared to modern day british bling boys and lazy europeans.

On the other hand, signings like Smith and Barton will only improve the hard working philosophy at the club.

Interested to read the following points Taylor made in The Journal this morning:-

?We?ve got players here now who really want to play for this club, it's not all about the money,? he said, his criticism thinly-veiled. ?In the recent past, people have said that the players were paid too much, but the players now are just concerned about working hard for each other.

?There were lads who got stick at the training ground last season and it was difficult experience when we were out there training. We didn?t get the performances we would have expected from top-quality players, but they?ve gone and I hope we can start a new era where we all play for each other.?

I wonder who he's referring to about players getting stick on the training ground. I read somewhere that Barton gave Dire stick for having a go at Pattinson after he made a poor pass in training, perhaps Dire didn't want to get on the wrong side of Barton so that may have hastened his departure.

Team spirit is a huge part of a successful football club and I'm glad to hear that it's improving at NUFC.

Dyer having a go at Pattinson for making a bad pass doesn't strike me as a very good example of him being only in it for the money.

Guest justin99.

Might be a reason why Sam prefers african based players because they come from hard working background. Whilst compared to modern day british bling boys and lazy europeans.

What African players has Newcastle been linked with?

What African players has Newcastle been linked with?

Faye, Geremi, Beye (?), Diouff, Dioup...

Guest jimmy1982

Agree with all this, its so important in football at any level, and probably even more in the premier league when there's so much pressure on individuals due to all the money thats riding on every single decision/pass/attempted tackle. must make a big difference to players with more fragile confidences if they think they're teammates aren't going to have a go as soon as they misplace a pass - maybe we are seeing the effect of this with Zogs already.

Now that Luque's gone, hopefully that's the last one in a long line of players who, from the outside at least, didn't seem to be bothered too much about the collective. Some people haven't been too impressed by Smith's performances so far, but he seems to be one of those who gets behind his team mates, and just about every article I've ever read about him has mentioned what a dedicated professional he is. I remember KK saying Killer was his most important signing ever because of the effect he had on team spririt in what was the clubs biggest ever crisis. Whatever doubts there are about Bartons temperament, he seems to have a pure passion for playing and expects the same from team mates - as the Dabo incident shows he doesn't accept people not giving everything in training. I bet Shearer was the same in training (although he knew when to pull back and not beat someone to a pulp), Roy Keane definitely was. Hopefully we should start to see the benefits of this kind of attitude consistently on Saturdays from now on.

?We?ve got players here now who really want to play for this club, it's not all about the money,? he said, his criticism thinly-veiled. ?In the recent past, people have said that the players were paid too much, but the players now are just concerned about working hard for each other.

?There were lads who got stick at the training ground last season and it was difficult experience when we were out there training. We didn?t get the performances we would have expected from top-quality players, but they?ve gone and I hope we can start a new era where we all play for each other.?

Dyer having a go at Pattinson for making a bad pass doesn't strike me as a very good example of him being only in it for the money.

Dire's whole career at NUFC is proof enough that he was only here for the money but that's not the point I was making. Dire and his like weren't/aren't interested in fostering good team spirit, nurturing young talent and trying to be a "model" pro others would look up to which would, ultimately, benefit the club. In fact Dire was the exact opposite.

We've lacked proper team spirit for ages - even in SBRs time, there were fall-outs with Shearer & Bellamy and the constant undercurrent of dissatisfaction expressed by the senior pros like Speed & Shearer regarding the attitudes of Dyer & his ilk.

KK generally had a good Dressing room, but I reckon the 92/93 promotion side had a better spirit than any of its successors .

Its very difficult to keep a decent squad of players happy in the Prem, but it looks as if BSA has bought players who will pull together - add that to a more professional control from the top and you have the basics for building a good CLUB in every sense of the word - I bet none of the players view the new Board with the same lack of respect they had for the previous one, and no wonder - these guys look as if they mean it....

Guest jimmy1982

Good example of what a w****** Dyer is though.

Aye, and its a bit hypocritical of dyer to do something like that, considering what a model pro he's been for us... The same player who gave an interview to one of the papers a couple of years ago, saying there were days he couldn't motivate himself to get out of bed for training cos he was depresed (presumably depressed at being paid 60k+ a week to play football). If he had any decency or humility about him he would have kept his head down in every single training session until the end of his career.