What is Alan Smith's role exactly?

TRon

Seeing as how Viduka is now injured, Ameobi not really a first choice striker, Martins going missing during the ANC, he might still have a role up front this season. Maybe Big Sam's one step ahead of us. Not sure he merits a place in the side right now, but if you look at the bigger picture, he might prove an important member of the squad over the season. In which case it will arguably have been £6m well spent.

Seeing as how Viduka is now injured, Ameobi not really a first choice striker, Martins going missing during the ANC, he might still have a role up front this season. Maybe Big Sam's one step ahead of us. Not sure he merits a place in the side right now, but if you look at the bigger picture, he might prove an important member of the squad over the season. In which case it will arguably have been £6m well spent.

....and slowly but surely Smudger began to enter the consciousness of the unwilling. bluerazz.gif

....and slowly but surely Smudger began to enter the consciousness of the unwilling. bluerazz.gif

but remains not good enough.

But you were rubbishing Viduka before last week, since then he has faced and defeated Woodgate to score an absolute pearler in the Tyne -T ees derby.

But you were rubbishing Viduka before last week, since then he has faced and defeated Woodgate to score an absolute pearler in the Tyne -T ees derby.

scored one good goal, and has otherwise looked like a fat lumbering cretin, yes. Go him.

Smith is not a good striker, simple as that. All the "combative" attitude in the world doesn't make up for the fact that he doesn't score or create enough to make him worth anywhere near £6m, or provide any real value to us. We need another striker, and Smith is not it.

You will always have people who are so negatively biased they can't see the obvious......they'll get there in the end.

He isn't worth 6m though. Remember Sam got Geremi, an excellent player who's also versatile, for free. Smith's a decent player, don't get me wrong, but he's not worth 6m, especially if it seems he's only cover for players who'll only be gone for a month during which we play against teams we normally get beat.

£6m doesn't buy you much these days though. I'd prefer Ryan Babel, but he wasn't available to us. At a push I wouldn't complain if Smith played up front with Owen or Martins, but I'd be concerned if he lined up next to Viduka. They might have been successful together at Leeds but both are more suited to playing just off a natural finisher these days.

I'll be happy to see Smith up front with Owen in a 4-4-2. He's definitely good enough.

on the basis of what, exactly?

Whatever I post will be rejected by you, I think there's little point bothering myself too much, so I'll just write a couple of lines in reply.

I think he's a decent player, others do too and you and a few others don't. I think his best role is the one currently being occupied by Viduka but I think Smith can  do that role better than Viduka if given a run. I hope FS uses Smith as a partner for Owen because that's his best chance of doing well for us. After saying that, even if Smith does go up front and does well, I don't think anything he does will convince you and a few others that he's a decent player.

I'll be happy to see Smith up front with Owen in a 4-4-2. He's definitely good enough.

Whatever I post will be rejected by you, I think there's little point bothering myself too much, so I'll just write a couple of lines in reply.

I think he's a decent player, others do too and you and a few others don't. I think his best role is the one currently being occupied by Viduka but I think Smith can  do that role better than Viduka if given a run. I hope FS uses Smith as a partner for Owen because that's his best chance of doing well for us. After saying that, even if Smith does go up front and does well, I don't think anything he does will convince you and a few others that he's a decent player.

I would agree. I think Smith could play as a sort of target man in the way Paul Goddard used to - hold the ball up and play in a striker like Owen. I would think at some point in the season we'll be glad to have the option.

I think he's a decent player, others do too and you and a few others don't. I think his best role is the one currently being occupied by Viduka but I think Smith can   do that role better than Viduka if given a run. I hope FS uses Smith as a partner for Owen because that's his best chance of doing well for us. After saying that, even if Smith does go up front and does well, I don't think anything he does will convince you and a few others that he's a decent player.

Yes, clearly the "few" (probably the majority in honesty) who don't think he's that good are wrong, and you are right, based on the fact that he was never a prolific goal scorer, and played fairly poorly in a non-goalscoring role.

Whats the status on viduka now then? How bads his injury?

nothing a big pie won't fix.

Don't know what your problem is with Viduka, so far you have been proven wrong. I said he was a class player based on what he produced last season, which you laughed at. For us this season he's scored one goal against one of England's finest defenders and it was a goal that had class stamped all over it. These are the facts, plain and simple.

Don't know what your problem is with Viduka, so far you have been proven wrong. I said he was a class player based on what he produced last season, which you laughed at. For us this season he's scored one goal against one of England's finest defenders and it was a goal that had class stamped all over it. These are the facts, plain and simple.

I'm not on either side of the arguement but I wouldn't call 1 goal in 4 games showing his class. Not to mention in the first 2 games he was pretty much non-existant.

one goal. How many games?

And you call that class? And he's been shit in the other games.

I'm not on either side of the arguement but I wouldn't call 1 goal in 4 games showing his class. Not to mention in the first 2 games he was pretty much non-existant.

That goal was class whichever way you look at it. His record last season and everywhere he's played has been class whichever way you look at it. I'm not about to put the thumbs down sign after 4 games here, because I think he's a clever player who holds the ball up well and uses it intelligently. Personally I think he's a much better player when it's played to feet, I don't think the long high ball does him any favours.

That goal was class whichever way you look at it. His record last season and everywhere he's played has been class whichever way you look at it. I'm not about to put the thumbs down sign after 4 games here, because I think he's a clever player who holds the ball up well and uses it intelligently. Personally I think he's a much better player when it's played to feet, I don't think the long high ball does him any favours.

he's far better with the ball to his feet certainly - and i'll avoid the obvious "too heavy to jump" joke there.

I think he had a good season last season, but i recall him being of very variable use at Boro.

We can't really afford to only have one goal-scoring striker on the pitch at any given time, in my opinion, which does not bode overly well for him, as i don['t think he will score many at all this season. as a stop-gap, maybe he's worth it (if he keeps Ameobi off the pitch, thats got to be a good thing) but Viduka for me isn't a long - or even medium - term answer.

Glad to have Smith here, good/decent player imo

Might struggle to get in the team once Bartons back as he'll be in competition with Butt, Faye, Geremi, Emre and possibly Zoggy too, for one of two other CM spots. We now seem to have a properly balanced squad with big competition for places which we haven't had in a while!!!  This is BS's 1st Transfer too! The future looks very bright imo!

Glad to have Smith here, good/decent player imo

Might struggle to get in the team once Bartons back as he'll be in competition with Butt, Faye, Geremi, Emre and possibly Zoggy too, for one of two other CM spots. We now seem to have a properly balanced squad with big competition for places which we haven't had in a while!!!  This is BS's 1st Transfer too! The future looks very bright imo!

talk to some Man UTd fans (ones who actually go to the game) about his prowess as a midfield player.

You have got to be kidding? Other than score one admittedly good goal he has been very very disapointing. He's been marked out/completely dominated by his markers, he's not created anything or been able to hold the ball up and he'd looked as dangerous as..... pattison. Martins and Owen have to start imo

You have got to be kidding? Other than score one admittedly good goal he has been very very disapointing. He's been marked out/completely dominated by his markers, he's not created anything or been able to hold the ball up and he'd looked as dangerous as..... pattison. Martins and Owen have to start imo and i'd have Shola in over Viduka

Not created anything? He set up our best chance against Villa, a great chance for Martins against Boro, set up Owen twice on Saturday - once when he should have scored and then when his goal was wrongly disallowed.