What is Alan Smith's role exactly?

TRon

At the moment I'm assuming he's playing as an attacking midfielder. Now in my mind there are two types: the skilful playmaker, or the box to box runner who will get beyond the back four and score a few goals. Smith was never going to be the playmaker, but despite my early reservations about signing him, I thought he could definitely be a goalscoring AM. In three matches so far though, he's barely had a strike on goal. Now we all appreciate his work rate and never say die attitude, but with Butt and Geremi in the middle, shouldn't Smith's role be a bit more attack-minded?

He was as much a spectator as the crowd at times during the boro game.

If his role has been defined to him it either doesn't suit him or he doesn't agree with it.

Same could be said for most of the team - its Big Sam's doing... and its not just him Lord Ferg was trying to get him to play more defensively before the project (of replacing Keane) was abadoned.

I'm not sure Allardyce knows what to do with him either, when we signed him he said that he couldn't turn down the opportunity to sign a player of Smith's quality. So I don't think it was a planned signing.

Sounds a bit like the Duff situation.

The more important question is what role does Alan Smith see himself playing.  Allardyce can put him anywhere on the pitch and give him whatever instructions he wants but his natural instincts will always work against him.  Smith wants to play up front. 

Give him a go up front with Owen or Martins. Seen nothing to suggest he offers much in midfield other than a tackle in emergencies.

He played well at Bolton. Did very little wrong against Villa except to be doing practically the same job as the other two in midfield. With those three we need better from options than Milner and Martins. Said it in pre-season, the players in midfield are too similar and those ahead of them do not have the attributes to compensate for it.

I'm not sure Allardyce knows what to do with him either, when we signed him he said that he couldn't turn down the opportunity to sign a player of Smith's quality. So I don't think it was a planned signing.

Sounds a bit like the Duff situation.

Big Sam doesn't strike me as a man without a plan. Doesn't mean it's the right plan, but at least it's a plan.

Utility player.

Can play a number of positions to a decent level, you know you're always going to get 100% effort when you put him in there and he'll add a bit of bite to your team.

I'm happy to have him here, he's nothing spectacular but he's solid and will help to generally make us a better club as he's a good pro by all accounts.

We also desperately needed to stop being such a soft touch in CM, and he'll help with that.

Utility player.

Can play a number of positions to a decent level, you know you're always going to get 100% effort when you put him in there and he'll add a bit of bite to your team.

I'm happy to have him here, he's nothing spectacular but he's solid and will help to generally make us a better club as he's a good pro by all accounts.

We also desperately needed to stop being such a soft touch in CM, and he'll help with that.

Butt and Geremi are solid enough in CM. With those two in tandem, I would have thought Smith would be given far more license to drive forward than has been the case so far.

Utility player.

Butt and Geremi are solid enough in CM. With those two in tandem, I would have thought Smith would be given far more license to drive forward than has been the case so far.

I think he has tbh, he's just not particularly good at driving forward though.

Utility player.

he's a great example to the young'uns , and imho is a better player than butt .

A very useful player to have; can serve as a midfield 'general', an attacking forward and a frontman, with a great attitude and can score goals. if you watch manyoo his passing game is actually very good and makes some superb (almost flair-like) touches here-n-there. good committed player and still reasonably young.. no complaints from me

I've decided I'm much too fair and nice to our players. So this season I've decided to pick on Alan Smith regardless of how he plays. In that spirit: his role AT BEST should be sweeper. Road sweeper, that is, the useless twat.

does this answer the question ???? i don't think big sam even knows why he brought him in other than midfield cover until barton and duffer return

does this answer the question ???? i don't think big sam even knows why he brought him in other than midfield cover until barton and duffer return

He's brought him in because he predominantly wants to play 4-3-3 and will need 3 CM's. So with only Butt, Geremi, Barton and Emre in the squad, bringing in Smith makes sense. That he can also play up front is a bonus.

Never seen such a blatantly obvious squad signing cause so much mass confusion tbh. :lol:

(Not really directed exclusively at you mate :thup: )

He's our replacment for Scott Parker, his job in the middle basically is to tackle and try to win any ball that the other team have.

where does he fit in then with our entire midfield fit....butt, emre, barton, duffer, milner, n'zogy???

He's brought him in because he predominantly wants to play 4-3-3 and will need 3 CM's. So with only Butt, Geremi, Barton and Emre in the squad, bringing in Smith makes sense. That he can also play up front is a bonus.

Never seen such a blatantly obvious squad signing cause so much mass confusion tbh. :lol:

everyone seems to be pushing for n'zogbia to be in the midfield thought and by all means he is NOT a central midfielder, winger all the way

everyone seems to be pushing for n'zogbia to be in the midfield thought and by all means he is NOT a central midfielder, winger all the way

Agree, I'd play him on the left of the 4-3-3 every single time myself, think he'll be a star there given the chance.

Agree, I'd play him on the left of the 4-3-3 every single time myself, think he'll be a star there given the chance.

so given that.. my midfield trio's when at least three strikers are fit are

1.  milner, barton, n'zogbia

2.  geremi, emre, duffer

don't know if this is how big sam see's it but smith is awfully low in my pecking order and at highest 4th best striker....then again we always have half a squad on the treatment table so good pickup

He's wasted in a midfield 3 unless he's made the designated DM but even then we've got two better suited to that role than him.

If we're going to persist in 4-3-3 then he's gotta play in the front three, he can trap a ball properly and can actually pass to a teammate. That and his energy and constant willingness to run all match would make him ideal as one of the two playing either side of Viduka. Owen and Martin can't play in a 4-3-3 so i'd drop one and move Smith up there instead.

Big Sam bought him so presume he must have a primary role in mind for him other/as well as being a handy 'utility' player.

He's our replacment for Scott Parker, his job in the middle basically is to tackle and try to win any ball that the other team have.

where does he fit in then with our entire midfield fit....butt, emre, barton, duffer, milner, n'zogy???

More of a depth increase by Allardyce, he can play both as a striker and a Midfielder, and surley were not gonna have all of our players fit at one point (ffs we are Newcastle), might start a rotation system in the middle, but for now i am prepared to give him a chance to prove himself, still prefer him over Butt in the middle tbh.