What do you think we need to get in/get out in January to have a top 4 squad?

Guest Deep456

Someone better than James bloody Milner

You really need to get over it :lol:

Although tbf it sounds like once again he was the worst player on the pitch by miles.

To be fair, I've concerns about how much good Milner is ever going to be for us.

If we're going with this 4-3-3 for the long haul, Milner in either wide role will be detrimental to the team. If we're hoping to play 4-4-2 he'll be good to have, but judging by the Winger-CM ratio in our squad, I'd bet we'll be at 4-3-3 more often than not.

Shame, as I like Milner. Just not sure he'll fit into what we want to do, out wide anyway.

Although tbf it sounds like once again he was the worst player on the pitch by miles.

To be fair, I've concerns about how much good Milner is ever going to be for us.

If we're going with this 4-3-3 for the long haul, Milner in either wide role will be detrimental to the team. If we're hoping to play 4-4-2 he'll be good to have, but judging by the Winger-CM ratio in our squad, I'd bet we'll be at 4-3-3 more often than not.

Shame, as I like Milner. Just not sure he'll fit into what we want to do, out wide anyway.

Milner is a good player who can at the very least cover a number of positions for us. He is still young and is only going to get better, when looking at players leaving the squad he should be nowhere near the top of the list.

Pie obviously has some issues because out of all the players in the squad (Ramage, Carr, Babayaro, Smith etc..) he always go straight for Milner. One of our best players last year.

I have concerns with going with 4-3-3 for the long haul, I'm sure it won't be the best tactic for every game.

To have a team proficient and comfortable in more than one formation would be a real headache for any opposition manager as he would never be sure what to expect.

Milner is a good player who can at the very least cover a number of positions for us. He is still young and is only going to get better, when looking at players leaving the squad he should be nowhere near the top of the list.

Pie obviously has some issues because out of all the players in the squad (Ramage, Carr, Babayaro, Smith etc..) he always go straight for Milner. One of our best players last year.

He is very average tbh. Certainly he is nowhere near the standard of Robert, Ginola or Solano. Players who have played in top 4 sides. Smith has also played in top 4 sides for two different clubs. Far better footballer than Milner.

Didn't we play 4-4-2 today?

Yes, but I'd be very shocked if that's our long term plan.

We've got Milner, N'Zogbia and Duff if he ever returns, those are our only wingers.

Meanwhile we've Butt, Geremi, Smith, Emre and Barton who are CM's.

Pie is likely just trying to wind you up tbh. ;)

We need something different a bit of flair.Def have ta get a creative midfielder in,would love Deco and would be a possiblity if he doesnt get much playing time or Gudjohnsen even!

We got rid of alot of dead wood but there still some there we need to get rid of!Ramage,Carr,Babs and the jurys out for Smith but people should give him a chance could come good yet!Also like to get a tall centre forward in.Viduka has struggled and is a bit injury prone while Shola is pretty frustating to be nice!I think Adriano would be a good gamble,if we got him around the 6 or 7mil mark but wouldnt pay anymore!He would be a risk but Sam is good with those sort of players!

Then lastly would get a covering left back for Enrique!

I don't think Owen will work in a 4-3-3 so will Allardyce persist with a formation that doesnt suit our best striker? Not so sure.

Reckon he'll sell him at the first opportunity myself, or will try and tamper with the formation to try and accomodate him somehow in the meantime.

If he intends persisting with 4-4-2, we better pray N'Zogbia and Milner stay fit.

Geremi used to be a right winger didnt he?

He USED TO, yes.  O0

I am sure at 28 years old its not completely out of the question that he could still do a job there. O0

Agreed, but I think he's changed his game a lot since then and would be pretty much wasted there now. The fact that we played Smith there today with Geremi in the middle speaks volumes. O0

Its still an option and we have Emre and Barton to come back. I think Barton would be wasted in a 4-3-3 or at least not used to his best ability. As said Owen would suffer aswell. Maybe he will do it but I think the signs suggest a 4-4-2 at the moment. Its what Allardyce has preffered since Owen has been starting.

We will be fine once Enrique is fit and Zog/Milner will be on the flanks. Duff is also still here don't forget.

Still not really up there with players who make a difference like Robert or Ginola. Duff needs to rediscover his form but he is capable. Zog may do it. Milner simply won't. Sorry about that Jon. He is in the position where we can't afford a not much better than average player. He is just that.

We will be fine once Enrique is fit and Zog/Milner will be on the flanks. Duff is also still here don't forget.

Still not really up there with players who make a difference like Robert or Ginola. Duff needs to rediscover his form but he is capable. Zog may do it. Milner simply won't. Sorry about that Jon. He is in the position where we can't afford a not much better than average player. He is just that.

So who realistically could we get for right wing? I can't think of anyone realistic.

Guest Hodgson09

Basically we need facial hair and lots of it. Men with facial hair are scary and tough, it will intimidate the opposition and will allow us to win more matches.

Cacapa has facial hair and look how good he is, you all know I'm right, I would grow some facial hair myself but for some reason it just doesn't grow properly.

Imo if the players all have beards we will win the league.

Geremi used to be a right winger didnt he?

He USED TO, yes.  O0

I am sure at 28 years old its not completely out of the question that he could still do a job there. O0

Agreed, but I think he's changed his game a lot since then and would be pretty much wasted there now. The fact that we played Smith there today with Geremi in the middle speaks volumes. O0

I reckon it speaks volumes about Geremi's influence that Allardyce would stick Smith out in a position he's clearly incapable of being effective in.

Zoggy - Butt - Barton - Geremi

Anyone? If Milner's injured of course. Reckon that would be a cracking midfield. Hard to break down, industrious and having a creative/attacking spark.

We should stick with the 4-4-2. We've shown that we're better playing this formation. Viduka's more involved, the formation suits Owen, Milner and Zoggy become more effective and there's a variety to our attacking play which is non-existent when we play 4-3-3. In time, the players might be trained into being good with the 4-3-3 but for now, we have to stick to the 4-4-2.