Do We Need Faye?

Kev

Smith is the signing that I still can't understand. 4th choice striker at best, and not a midfielder in a million years.

Seems like Smith is the target of the moaners these days.

We have 4 PL quality strikers but they won't complement each other across all 6 permutations imo. Viduka or Smith alongside Owen or Martins is how I see it.

I don't want to see Viduka up front with Smith or Owen up front with Martins in 4-4-2, which I prefer. If Owen doesn't combine well with Martins that means if Viduka is injured we would be stuck with a shite attacking combination. Surely you can see that?

We need 4 decent strikers, so we needed to sign another one. Smith is a decent player who was available. What is your problem with having 4 strikers? Why are you trying to slot them into an order of merit based on 1st-4th?

I agree with what you say, I just think that Smith has been signed as a midfielder.

Smith is the signing that I still can't understand. 4th choice striker at best, and not a midfielder in a million years.

Seems like Smith is the target of the moaners these days.

We have 4 PL quality strikers but they won't complement each other across all 6 permutations imo. Viduka or Smith alongside Owen or Martins is how I see it.

I don't want to see Viduka up front with Smith or Owen up front with Martins in 4-4-2, which I prefer. If Owen doesn't combine well with Martins that means if Viduka is injured we would be stuck with a shite attacking combination. Surely you can see that?

We need 4 decent strikers, so we needed to sign another one. Smith is a decent player who was available. What is your problem with having 4 strikers? Why are you trying to slot them into an order of merit based on 1st-4th?

I agree with what you say, I just think that Smith has been signed as a midfielder.

I hope you're wrong.

Smith has came in a replacement for Dyer which is what Allaryce as good as said at the time.

He also said on an interview with Newcastle World that he has four fantastic strikers before naming Owen, Martins, Viduka and Ameobi, I think it's fair to say Smith is going to be a player that fills in everywhere but mainly in midfield unless we have a striker crisis.

Smith has came in a replacement for Dyer which is what Allaryce as good as said at the time.

He also said on an interview with Newcastle World that he has four fantastic strikers before naming Owen, Martins, Viduka and Ameobi, I think it's fair to say Smith is going to be a player that fills in everywhere but mainly in midfield unless we have a striker crisis.

Sam out. What a wanker. I mean, sack the Board, they aren't doing what I want.

Sam out. What a wanker. I mean, sack the Board.

Very good.

Sam out. What a wanker. I mean, sack the Board.

Very good.

Seriously. He's doing a good job, we're on the right lines but you have to wonder about how well he can ultimately do at this club if it's true he rates Ameobi.

i don't think smith is much better than ameobi tbh. they're both half-decent reserve strikers but nothing more. smith's problem is that he's ok in a number of different positions without excelling in any of them. not a bad player to have in your squad and you can't knock his work rate but not the wisest way to spend £6m of our budget.

Did SA actually say that? I thought he said Smith wasnt Dyers replacement and after we bought Smith and still had Dyer SA said if Dyer is sold he will look for a replacement.

I dont understand the shit Smith is getting on here TBH. This aint aimed at you Baggio but the general tone of a few people, Smith may not be the most gifted player but that doesnt make him a shit player. So far i wouldnt say he's been shit or that he's been outstanding. I thought he had a good game against Bolton but average games for the rest.

I'd agree Smiths best position is up front and ideally i'd prefer him to be rotated with the other strikers and not used in the midfield unless we have too.

How come Smith is getting a lot of shit yet Viduka aint? I havent been impressed with Viduka but that doesnt mean im gonna write him off.

Did SA actually say that? I thought he said Smith wasnt Dyers replacement and after we bought Smith and still had Dyer SA said if Dyer is sold he will look for a replacement.

I dont understand the shit Smith is getting on here TBH. This aint aimed at you Baggio but the general tone of a few people, Smith may not be the most gifted player but that doesnt make him a shit player. So far i wouldnt say he's been shit or that he's been outstanding. I thought he had a good game against Bolton but average games for the rest.

I'd agree Smiths best position is up front and ideally i'd prefer him to be rotated with the other strikers and not used in the midfield unless we have too.

How come Smith is getting a lot of shit yet Viduka aint? I havent been impressed with Viduka but that doesnt mean im gonna write him off.

When we agreed a deal with West Ham the first time around Allardyce came out and said that his replacement would be revealed tomorrow, the next day we signed Smith, from what I remember Allardyce said the money we got from Dyer when he did finally leave would be reinvested in the team.

Smith is offering nothing, he gets stuck in in midfield but so will Faye when he plays at a fraction of the price, he's been a passenger in our last few games and he hasn't really offered us anything when we attack, as a team we have been struggling to create much and when you've spent £6 million on a player to play in midfield even though he's got few qualities to offer us then the fans are going to knock him.

He's also only managed 3 goals in his last 79 games which is fucking attrocius.

When we agreed a deal with West Ham the first time around Allardyce came out and said that his replacement would be revealed tomorrow, the next day we signed Smith, from what I remember Allardyce said the money we got from Dyer when he did finally leave would be reinvested in the team.

Smith is offering nothing, he gets stuck in in midfield but so will Faye when he plays at a fraction of the price, he's been a passenger in our last few games and he hasn't really offered us anything when we attack, as a team we have been struggling to create much and when you've spent £6 million on a player to play in midfield even though he's got few qualities to offer us then the fans are going to knock him.

Get the blinkers off man. He's not being played to his strengths, nor was he at manure most of the time from what I saw of them. People who have said he's a victim of his versatility have got it spot on. I think some people just don't like him, hence stuff I've read in the past making out he's a bad lad, assuming his aggressive attitude on the field spills over into his general lifestyle when in fact off the field he's a model professional. There's a negative bias against him from a lot of people, not saying you in particular, but it's pretty obvious in a number of threads and more than a bit sad.

Get the blinkers off man. He's not being played to his strengths, nor was he at manure most of the time from what I saw of them. People who have said he's a victim of his versatility have got it spot on. I think some people just don't like him, hence stuff I've read in the past making out he's a bad lad, assuming his aggressive attitude on the field spills over into his general lifestyle when in fact off the field he's a model professional. There's a negative bias against him from a lot of people, not saying you in particular, but it's pretty obvious in a number of threads and more than a bit sad.

I've got no blinkers on, I've seen from his time both here and at Man Utd that he's a shite midfielder who offers fuck all in attack apart from plenty of graft, I'm well aware that he started out as a striker and that's his best position but that isn't much good to us while he's jumping into tackles like some sort of fucking madman in midfield is it?

Btw he isn't that good as a striker either, certainly not as good as either Owen, Martins or Viduka, so what have we got? £6 million spent on a player that isn't good enough to start in attack or midfield, at the same time we've sacrificed signing a creative player with pace to accommodate him, you're right people don't like him but that's because he's an average plodder rather than them disliking him as an individual.

I find it funny how you were happy to knock Parker all the time yet jump to the defence of Alan Smith, even though he's like an identical clone of him in midfield.

I've got no blinkers on, I've seen from his time both here and at Man Utd that he's a shite midfielder who offers fuck all in attack apart from plenty of graft, I'm well aware that he started out as a striker and that's his best position but that isn't much good to us while he's jumping into tackles like some sort of fucking madman in midfield is it?

Btw he isn't that good as a striker either, certainly not as good as either Owen, Martins or Viduka, so what have we got? £6 million spent on a player that isn't good enough to start in attack or midfield, at the same time we've sacrificed signing a creative player with pace to accommodate him, you're right people don't like him but that's because he's an average plodder rather than them disliking him as an individual.

I find it funny how you were happy to knock Parker all the time yet jump to the defence of Alan Smith, even though he's like an identical clone of him in midfield.

Completely agree with your post and did wonder about the Parker thing myself but didn't want to get into an argument with HTL about it  :laugh:

We need Faye to compete with Butt.

Smith might be a better option as the right side of a front 3 than Owen as i think he'll work harder for the team, he'll defend from the front very effectively as well.

Sam might also see him as a Nolan type goal scoring midfielder.

Saying that, wasn't excited at all about Smith signing. Give them all time though to settle, maybe by Xmas before judging.

What a laugh, mate. There is no comparison between Parker and Smith. None at all. Why are you comparing a player being used out of position with a player who was consistently used in his strongest position? 

His best position is up front, he's better than Viduka and should start alongside Owen. He's not a midfielder trying to offer something in attack as you put it, so he wouldn't do that well. The fact the manager selects him out of position is a problem but there's nowt I can do about that. If Allardyce never comes to his senses about Smith I'll see it as an asset wasted. As for people disliking him because he's an average plodder...what a load of rubbish.

I dont understand the s*** Smith is getting on here TBH. This aint aimed at you Baggio but the general tone of a few people, Smith may not be the most gifted player but that doesnt make him a s*** player. So far i wouldnt say he's been s*** or that he's been outstanding. I thought he had a good game against Bolton but average games for the rest.

How come Smith is getting a lot of s*** yet Viduka aint? I havent been impressed with Viduka but that doesnt mean im gonna write him off.

He's also only managed 3 goals in his last 79 games which is f****** attrocius.

I've got no blinkers on, I've seen from his time both here and at Man Utd that he's a s**** midfielder who offers f*** all in attack apart from plenty of graft, I'm well aware that he started out as a striker and that's his best position but that isn't much good to us while he's jumping into tackles like some sort of f****** madman in midfield is it?

What a laugh, mate. There is no comparison between Parker and Smith. None at all. Why are you comparing a player being used out of position with a player who was consistently used in his strongest position? 

His best position is up front, he's better than Viduka and should start alongside Owen. The fact the manager selects him out of position is a problem but there's nowt I can do about that. If Allardyce never comes to his senses about Smith I'll see it as an asset wasted. As for people disliking him because he's an average plodder...what a load of rubbish.

i think smith is only being used wide right because with no proper left back match fit (enrique) we need to put n'zogbia there meaning the best available person to play left is milner,leaving a space on the right hence smith.

playing smith up front in a 3 is something worth a try,however if he plays 4-4-2 id play him as the attacking midfielder

i don't think smith is much better than ameobi tbh. they're both half-decent reserve strikers but nothing more. smith's problem is that he's ok in a number of different positions without excelling in any of them. not a bad player to have in your squad and you can't knock his work rate but not the wisest way to spend £6m of our budget.

Since when did you see Ameobi get half as involved in a game as Smith does ?

Even if he's having a bad one, Smith never hides and gives 100% - I can't recall Ameobi ever tackling back like Smith does consistently.

All teams need players now who can play in a number of positions and even if they aren't brilliant, 100% effort is better than one flash of skill every blue moon...

I dont understand the s*** Smith is getting on here TBH. This aint aimed at you Baggio but the general tone of a few people, Smith may not be the most gifted player but that doesnt make him a s*** player. So far i wouldnt say he's been s*** or that he's been outstanding. I thought he had a good game against Bolton but average games for the rest.

How come Smith is getting a lot of s*** yet Viduka aint? I havent been impressed with Viduka but that doesnt mean im gonna write him off.

I've got no blinkers on, I've seen from his time both here and at Man Utd that he's a s**** midfielder who offers f*** all in attack apart from plenty of graft, I'm well aware that he started out as a striker and that's his best position but that isn't much good to us while he's jumping into tackles like some sort of f****** madman in midfield is it?

His best position is up front, he's better than Viduka and should start alongside Owen. The fact the manager selects him out of position is a problem but there's nowt I can do about that. If Allardyce never comes to his senses about Smith I'll see it as an asset wasted. As for people disliking him because he's an average plodder...what a load of rubbish.

i think smith is only being used wide right because with no proper left back match fit (enrique) we need to put n'zogbia there meaning the best available person to play left is milner,leaving a space on the right hence smith.

playing smith up front in a 3 is something worth a try,however if he plays 4-4-2 id play him as the attacking midfielder

madras,

I can't see even the slightest reason why you think Smith is suitable for an attacking midfield role. Obviously I see different attributes in the player.

madras,

I can't see even the slightest reason why you think Smith is suitable for an attacking midfield role. Obviously I see different attributes in the player.

Not directed at me but i'm joining in anyway.

As i said, not thrilled about his signing but i am wondering if SA thinks he could do a similar job to Kevin Nolan, i.e. midfielder with a good engine and gets stuck in and arrives late in the box to score a few goals and is decent in the air. As he is a striker (originally) i guess his finishing will be better than say, Emre, Butt, Geremi and i've never seen him shirk an aerial challenge.

If SA thinks he might be applicable to a Nolan type role, don't you think he's got the necessary attributes?

I realise that this all based on a massive supposition from me that SA doesn't see him as a DM!

I think we need Faye.

The most disappointing this about Smith's game for me has been his composure in the box.  He's meant to be a striker, yet on the few occasions that he's popped up in the box after a good late arriving run, he's dribbled in some weak efforts on goal.  I could forgive the rest if he was at least a goal threat.  As is, he has some way to go to merit a place in the team when all are fit.

madras,

Not directed at me but i'm joining in anyway.

As i said, not thrilled about his signing but i am wondering if SA thinks he could do a similar job to Kevin Nolan, i.e. midfielder with a good engine and gets stuck in and arrives late in the box to score a few goals and is decent in the air. As he is a striker (originally) i guess his finishing will be better than say, Emre, Butt, Geremi and i've never seen him shirk an aerial challenge.

If SA thinks he might be applicable to a Nolan type role, don't you think he's got the necessary attributes?

I realise that this all based on a massive supposition from me that SA doesn't see him as a DM!

I don't really. I've only ever been impressed with him when he's played as a striker, which seems to be few and far between at both Leeds and manure but it's enough for me. As a midfielder I wouldn't have signed him.

I don't mind Smith, though not a massive fan and wasn't especially 'pro' his signing (wasn't really against, either), has he actually been played in his proper position, yet? Aye, he's akin to Parker in midfield becuase, like Parker, he hasn't got the attributes of an effective central midfielder. He'll tackle and bite, but he ain't got spark, and he's hardly box-to-box.

And right-wing? Jesus Christ.

Viduka's been shite. Ameobi led the line well against Barnsley but... dunno, Smith's got more potential. I wouldn't be against Smith starting upfront alongside Owen against Derby. Viduka wouldn't be a bad impact substitute at all (providing he switched with Smith, not Owen, logically).

Viduka will still be an important player for us this season, he hasn't really had a proper rest yet from last season but unfortunately Sam has had to throw him in as soon as possible when he himself admitted we would have rather used him later in the season.

Australia playing during this international break? If not he should get a bit more rest.

If you've watched him play for us this season it would be pretty obvious why I was referring to him being similar to Parker, he offers nothing apart from the wild sliding tackle. He's not a patch on Viduka as a striker either so you've sort of gone to the extreme to try and prove your point, Viduka was even the better striker than him at Leeds. People don't like him because he's average, you seem to find that hard to take for some reason but I seem to remember you having trouble accepting that people thought Bowyer was average too.

Viduka will still be an important player for us this season, he hasn't really had a proper rest yet from last season but unfortunately Sam has had to throw him in as soon as possible when he himself admitted we would have rather used him later in the season.

Australia playing during this international break? If not he should get a bit more rest.

Don't disagree. Viduka and Owen firing on all cylinders, i just cannot wait for. I don't think it'll take overly long; just get the feeling that Viduka's played too much. Maybe the injury at the weekend is evidence of that? Should have been used more sparingly so far, imo - but what do i know?