Local Hero/Going Home - Bring it back?

Guest Geordiesned
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Magpie007

change is good and local hero was good for the Alan Shearer era but now that's over move on - we have had are best home start to the prem season is some time so if it's not broke do not fix it  :coolsmiley:

I thought the Blaydon Races was canny today. Need to put O Fortuna on before the daft Premier League thing, then let BR ring around the ground for a couple of minutes as the teams get into position.

I thought the Blaydon Races was canny today. Need to put O Fortuna on before the daft Premier League thing, then let BR ring around the ground for a couple of minutes as the teams get into position.

Local band has recorded a new version, they played it before the second half.

It was alright, apart from the 'gaaaaning' bit. It tickled me that the PA chap turned it down a few times too, to see if anyone was joining in. They weren't. :laugh:

How about before a game, as a test, there is no music played and the crowd generate the atmosphere? Only announcements and the team read out by pa_guy. It seems the club are willing to listen to suggestions after the Journal did a few questionnaires recently.

How about before a game, as a test, there is no music played and the crowd generate the atmosphere? Only announcements and the team read out by pa_guy. It seems the club are willing to listen to suggestions after the Journal did a few questionnaires recently.

It's been done, by accident last season when the PA didn't work, and the atmosphere was completely dead. The music gets people in the mood.

Wasn't it the Pompey game the season before, when Shearer broke the record? I thought the atmosphere was class that day.

Nah it was last season definitely.

I mean, it might have happened then too, but last season when it happened the atmosphere was dead.

I was at every match last season and don't remember it happening.

United bosses set to bring back anthem

Nov 5 2007 by Paul James, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United chiefs are set to reinstall the fans’ favourite black-and-white anthem to St James’s Park after they changed their tune for Saturday’s match.

But while the Portsmouth game did not signal a return for Mark Knopfler’s theme from Local Hero to the tannoy, it is due a return to send fans home at the end of home games.

Journal readers have voted in their hundreds for the song, Going Home, to be reinstated for the team’s run-out on to the pitch, after it was ditched this season in favour of Sham 69’s If The Kids Are United.

Our poll was launched after readers complained that Knopfler’s song had gone after a decade as the St James’s anthem.

Local Hero won the vote by a landslide with 1,903 votes. Only 16 people voted for If The Kids Are United, with The Blaydon Races winning 95 votes and 42 supporters calling for no music to be played and for the fans to generate their own pre-match atmosphere.

On Saturday the Sham 69 song was replaced by an upbeat, modern version of The Blaydon Races, sung by the Longsands, a Cramlington-based band, which was played again as the teams ran out for the second half.

But the change failed to give the team the desired boost, with the black-and-whites putting in easily their worst home performance this season and losing 4-1 to the Hampshire side.

During The Kids Are United era, United were unbeaten at St James’s Park with four wins and a draw giving the team their best home start to a season for 11 years.

Last night, a club spokesman said they had been looking for a new version of The Blaydon Races for some time, and the intention was to play the Geordie favourite at the beginning of each half in the future.

He said the new pre-match Premier League ritual of the opposing teams lining up to shake hands, to the new official league anthem, made it difficult to find a song to fit in.

He said: “The Blaydon Races is the song Newcastle United are known for throughout the world, and it will be played as the teams come out and at half time.

“We’re looking at Going Home as a song to play at the full-time whistle. We’ve got two songs that are popular with the fans that can both be played as part of match days.”

Yesterday Frank Gilmour, of the Newcastle United Independent Supporters Association, said: “It’s still got to be Local Hero for me. The Blaydon Races is Geordie folklore although it has never been played as the team runs out.

“If they’re not going to have Local Hero I would rather have The Blaydon Races than Sham 69. What a group from Essex have got to do with Newcastle United, I don’t know.

“There’s an argument now for bringing back Sham 69 because they changed it and look what happened. But I don’t think that affected yesterday’s performance.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2007/11/05/united-bosses-set-to-bring-back-anthem-61634-20061191/