Daily Mail- Gufftastic

NG32

From the BBC gossip page -

Newcastle keeper Shay Given will have 'showdown' talks with manager Sam Allardyce when he returns from international duty after being replaced by Steve Harper in goal against Wigan at the weekend.
(The Daily Mail)

How do they get away with writing such guff.  Surely they researched the fact that Given has had an injury.

From the BBC gossip page -

Newcastle keeper Shay Given will have 'showdown' talks with manager Sam Allardyce when he returns from international duty after being replaced by Steve Harper in goal against Wigan at the weekend.
(The Daily Mail)

How do they get away with writing such guff.  Surely they researched the fact that Given has had an injury.

and still a lot of idiots fans who believe what they see in the press.

how do they expect us to believe they find out about this, shay first tells his agent

"Ahm gen te hef shaydayn tayks wi beg saym so ah am"

and the agent is like "oooh I'll get straight on to the mail old boy"

They know he was injured (obviously)

Given aiming for Allardyce showdown

Newcastle's Shay Given will have showdown talks with Toon boss Sam Allardyce when he returns from international duty next week.

The Ireland goalkeeper, who will earn his 81st cap against Slovakia on Saturday, returned after groin injury in the Carling Cup on Wednesday but Steve Harper was recalled for Saturday's Premier League win over Wigan.

I asked a theoretical question a while back saying pretty much how would folk feel if Sam replaced Given with Jussi.

I did ask because I thought if Sam got the job he would look for a keeper with a bit more presence between the sticks.

....rather than one who's good at stopping goals going in?

I sure the report is "wide of the mark". However, if it were true I think it would be poor from Given. Harper is playing well at the moment and deserves to keep his place for now. For me Given is the better keeper and he will get his place back sooner rather than later.

Guest Ebolarama

how do they expect us to believe they find out about this, shay first tells his agent

Not that I'm giving this gossip any value at all, but that's probably exactly what would happen if Shay genuinely was unhappy. His agents leaks that he's unsettled to the rags, other clubs start registering their interest, etc. Once again, not that I'm saying this is what is happening. This gossip is just a load of old bollocks.

Not that I'm giving this gossip any value at all, but that's probably exactly what would happen if Shay genuinely was unhappy. His agents leaks that he's unsettled to the rags, other clubs start registering their interest, etc. Once again, not that I'm saying this is what is happening. This gossip is just a load of old bollocks.

Think about it, it's five days after the transfer window shut, it doesn't reopen for another four months, so even if Shay wants away he'd be sitting on the bench for those four months. Do you honestly think he's that stupid after seeing the reception Dyer/Luque/all the rest of the now departed trash received from fans for wanting away?

Nee fookin chance.

It's just some twat of a journo that's remembered/researched that Shay once asked for a transfer when Harper had a spell between the sticks, before there was a transfer window I might add.

I sure the report is "wide of the mark". However, if it were true I think it would be poor from Given. Harper is playing well at the moment and deserves to keep his place for now. For me Given is the better keeper and he will get his place back sooner rather than later.

Teh story is shite - it'll get recycled over the next week, then die its deserved death.

Along the lines of what the Crumpy one said, Shay isn't very good with corners/set pieces as he isn't very good at coming off the line to punch the ball away when it is in and around him.

We all know Sam hates nothing more than being bad at defending and executing set pieces. Not saying there is anything in this but Crumpy mentioned something along the lines of Sam prefering a bigger keeper ages ago, even before Sam was hired I believe!

Doesn't Jussi's contract run out at the end of the season too? Hmmmm ...

Along the lines of what the Crumpy one said, Shay isn't very good with corners/set pieces as he isn't very good at coming off the line to punch the ball away when it is in and around him.

We all know Sam hates nothing more than being bad at defending and executing set pieces. Not saying there is anything in this but Crumpy mentioned something along the lines of Sam prefering a bigger keeper ages ago, even before Sam was hired I believe!

Please follow the following instructions:

Open eyes.

When you realise it is dark try to turn head.

After finding it difficult, put your hands upon your neck and try to feel your head.

When you find something is stopping your hands from travelling further up your neck to your head, feel what is blocking your way.

When you realise it is soft and skin like, again place hands around neck and pull your head out of your arse!

Open eyes.

After finding it difficult, put your hands upon your neck and try to feel your head.

When you find something is stopping your hands from travelling further up your neck to your head, feel what is blocking your way.

When you realise it is soft and skin like, again place hands around neck and pull your head out of your arse!

Ha ha ha ha ... nice one.

Just having some fun with the story. However, I wouldn't write it off completely. I'm sure Given would have liked to lpay against Wigan last weekend.

Open eyes.

Ha ha ha ha ... nice one.

Just having some fun with the story. However, I wouldn't write it off completely. I'm sure Given would have liked to lpay against Wigan last weekend.

and i'm sure he didn't mind not doing so.

Guest Toonarama

Without wanting to support anything in such a fascist rag Shay Given's demeanour in the warm up prior to the Wigan game did suggest he was seriously miffed off.

Sitting down talking to the keeping coach for long time then taking a sabbatical lying on the ground for another few minutes.

he may just have been enjoying the sunshine but he wasn't smiling

Without wanting to support anything in such a fascist rag Shay Given's demeanour in the warm up prior to the Wigan game did suggest he was seriously miffed off.

Sitting down talking to the keeping coach for long time then taking a sabbatical lying on the ground for another few minutes.

he may just have been enjoying the sunshine but he wasn't smiling

We shoudl be pissed off if he IS happy at not being in the side.

Even the shit-stirring hacks have given stories that have fuck all ion them, and STILL we fall for it.

There are quotes. Seems a bit sensationalist either way.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_2709263,00.html

The 31-year-old goalkeeper no longer seems to be the regular number one choice on Tyneside after a recent spell on the sidelines and is preparing himself for showdown talks with the Toon boss.

"I'll have a chat with him. I'm not sure what his thinking is or whatever," Given said. "I've gone away with Ireland so I haven't had time to sit down with him, so I'll have to do that when I get back after these games.

"Obviously I've been out for a while with my groin and I played on Wednesday night (in the Carling Cup), so maybe he felt that it was better for me not to play on Saturday and put too much pressure on it.

"It's good to have competition in every position in the club, so if that's the case then I'll have to see what happens.

"It's hard to say what his thinking is for the future - I'm really just focusing on these games now. I'm excited about playing in two massive games and getting away, I suppose, from the club."

Given, from Donegal, will become Republic of Ireland's most capped goalkeeper should he play as expected against Slovakia on Saturday. He will surpass Packie Bonner's record of 80 appearances.

Hardly seems like he's wanting out or anything like that, though I would say it's a bit of a shame he can't just respect the fact that Harper is doing quite well for us at the moment and just get on with it. I'm sure the minute Harper makes a major error or suffers another ill-timed injury, Shay will be straight back in the team and won't get dislodged again unless he gets another injury himself.

There are quotes. Seems a bit sensationalist either way.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_2709263,00.html

The 31-year-old goalkeeper no longer seems to be the regular number one choice on Tyneside after a recent spell on the sidelines and is preparing himself for showdown talks with the Toon boss.

"I'll have a chat with him. I'm not sure what his thinking is or whatever," Given said. "I've gone away with Ireland so I haven't had time to sit down with him, so I'll have to do that when I get back after these games.

"Obviously I've been out for a while with my groin and I played on Wednesday night (in the Carling Cup), so maybe he felt that it was better for me not to play on Saturday and put too much pressure on it.

"It's good to have competition in every position in the club, so if that's the case then I'll have to see what happens.

"It's hard to say what his thinking is for the future - I'm really just focusing on these games now. I'm excited about playing in two massive games and getting away, I suppose, from the club."

Given, from Donegal, will become Republic of Ireland's most capped goalkeeper should he play as expected against Slovakia on Saturday. He will surpass Packie Bonner's record of 80 appearances.

Hardly seems like he's wanting out or anything like that, though I would say it's a bit of a shame he can't just respect the fact that Harper is doing quite well for us at the moment and just get on with it. I'm sure the minute Harper makes a major error or suffers another ill-timed injury, Shay will be straight back in the team and won't get dislodged again unless he gets another injury himself.

"Showdown" might be too strong a way of putting, but don't people remember Shay slapping in a transfer request the last time Harper got the nod ahead of him when he was fit?