FIFA Tell Refs to Single Out Individuals!

Guest nufc_geordie

Guest nufc_geordie
Former referee Graham Poll says officials at last summer's World Cup were encouraged by Fifa to "look out for" England striker Peter Crouch.

Crouch, 26, is banned for the Euro 2008 qualifier against Israel on Saturday and Poll says that is no surprise.

He told BBC 5live: "Fifa's head of refereeing said, 'look at Crouch, he's a pain and he gets away with a lot. We need to mark him out and look for him'.

"We were shown videos of him. I tried to defend him, being English."

Poll added: "Before last year's tournament in Germany, we watched England's warm-up games.

"We had been out there for two or three weeks before, and it was pointed out the way he used his arms.

"Now, Crouch has been picking up cautions in qualifying and is out of Saturday's match."

Recalled Wigan striker Emile Heskey could be set to partner Michael Owen in Crouch's absence on Saturday.

Crouch will be available when England take on Russia in another crucial Euro 2008 qualifier next Wednesday.

Absolutely disgusting for a governing body of any sport to single out one individual from one nation. If the directive was in general to watch out for players using their arms and then show examples of many players from many countries doing it then fine but to specifically pick out an individual borders on cheating and giving one team an unfair advantage.

Did Crouch not get away with climbing all over the back of a defender to score a header in one of the group games at the World Cup?

Was going to mention that. Pulled his dreadlocks and everything. Kind of a damn shame that you were told to watch a specific player and you still fucked up.

Actually, although Crouch is a bit of a cunt, i was suprised with the number of freekcisk given against him in the World Cup, it  was silly that every time the ball even comes near him the next thing you hear is the ref's whistle.

I agree. I felt that he was penalised unfairly for a number of challenges. In fact, I think the commentators remarked on it as well. This news doesn't surprise me at all.

Former referee Graham Poll says officials at last summer's World Cup were encouraged by Fifa to "look out for" England striker Peter Crouch.

Crouch, 26, is banned for the Euro 2008 qualifier against Israel on Saturday and Poll says that is no surprise.

He told BBC 5live: "Fifa's head of refereeing said, 'look at Crouch, he's a pain and he gets away with a lot. We need to mark him out and look for him'.

"We were shown videos of him. I tried to defend him, being English."

Poll added: "Before last year's tournament in Germany, we watched England's warm-up games.

"We had been out there for two or three weeks before, and it was pointed out the way he used his arms.

"Now, Crouch has been picking up cautions in qualifying and is out of Saturday's match."

Recalled Wigan striker Emile Heskey could be set to partner Michael Owen in Crouch's absence on Saturday.

Crouch will be available when England take on Russia in another crucial Euro 2008 qualifier next Wednesday.

Absolutely disgusting for a governing body of any sport to single out one individual from one nation. If the directive was in general to watch out for players using their arms and then show examples of many players from many countries doing it then fine but to specifically pick out an individual borders on cheating and giving one team an unfair advantage.

I think this goes on with Refs all the time - I made this point after the Villa game, when Viduka got no protection from Laursen's challenges whatsoever, and some one on this site accused me of being mad..!

I have no doubt that Refs SOMETIMES have an agenda, whether it is personal, or dictated from above -

ask Brian Glanville(used to be  Sunday Times football chief reporter) about the Lobo - Solti case involving

Juventus and Derby Co back in 1973...Lobo, the ref for the second game at Derby, was approached by Solti, a 'fixer' and promised big money to give Juve a pen - he informed the Portuguese FA about it(he was Portuguese)and UEFA held a so-called Enquiry afterwards(the game finished goal-less, and Lobo even awarded Derby a pen which they missed).

After Lobo gave his evidence, he was later removed from the FIFA panel of Refs for the WC in 1974,,,,

and, nothing happened........allegedly......according to Brian Glanville.

Draw your own conclusions.

Guest Ridzuan

I think its a fair decision.You might say that FIFA has something against the England team after recent incidents,but I think the referees just want to have a good clean game and I think there is nothing wrong in pointing Crouch out and I would expect more players to have the same fate as well.

I agree, singling out one player like that is pathetic but sadly its no suprise that it was one of our players.  FIFA are a bunch of cheating c***s who always put England at a disadvantage.

which is why we never win owt right?

mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif