Steven Taylor rejects new contract; Liverpool preparing £5m bid?

magorific
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

The way some fans threat him he prob thinks we cant live without him and wants a big wage packet.

Or the way some other fans treat him on here, I couldnt blame him for wanting away

Who treats him bad on here? theres 2 types of people on him imo, 1 group who are deluded and up his arse and another group who realise hes a youngster and makes mistakes, like all youngsters do.

Im shocked to see how wrong you are in that statement. This thread really opened my eyes when it comes to how many in here who arent rating Taylor at all for reason that I cant understand at all, but I hope Sam realise how big a prospect he really is and they end up with a solution which is acceptabel for both of them!

If he's on less than 10K now he could probably easily quadruple his wages if he moved to another Premiership club, so it's only fair that we pay him what he's worth if we want to protect our investment by extending his contract. I'd say somewhere around the 25-30k mark would be fair.

He should be on wages of at least £30,000 a week, other defenders who are worse than him get about £50,000 a week

Lets hope we make him a better offer for him to be like Milner and commit his future to the club

Guest MaetihS

overrated atm.. i think i am the only fan who does not think he is a great or even good defender.  yes i admit he has bags of potential but it remains to be seen that he is able to fulfill them.  For me, he shld be behind CB behind experienced defenders of better pedigree like Roz, Casapa and even Faye.  Him rejecting the contract (unless it is less 10k per week) seems to tell me that he thinks he is already a key player for the club which obviously is not.  The most he is worth now is 15k and to think that his father compares the current contract suituation to that of Stevie G and Carragher is really incredible.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

overrated atm.. i think i am the only fan who does not think he is a great or even good defender.  yes i admit he has bags of potential but it remains to be seen that he is able to fulfill them.  For me, he shld be behind CB behind experienced defenders of better pedigree like Roz, Casapa and even Faye.  Him rejecting the contract (unless it is less 10k per week) seems to tell me that he thinks he is already a key player for the club which obviously is not.  The most he is worth now is 15k and to think that his father compares the current contract suituation to that of Stevie G and Carragher is really incredible.

It is unrealistic to want 20k per week without being a key player? I think he is somewhere between a squad player and a first team player and should be given 25-35k per week. 9k or what ever we pay him now is laughable for a player who is captain for the U21 team and has been an important first team player for Newcastle in serveal years now...

Guest MaetihS

It is unrealistic to want 20k per week without being a key player? I think he is somewhere between a squad player and a first team player and should be given 25-35k per week. 9k or what ever we pay him now is laughable for a player who is captain for the U21 team and has been an important first team player for Newcastle in serveal years now...

Sorry what do you mean several years?? To me he has not a outstanding season yet; always blighted by silly mistakes, rash tackles and sending offs.  I do not mean to knock him..yes for a young player to make these silly mistakes are understandable and i have never blamed him or sounded my displeasure until this contract thing as I feel he has potential and ought to be given time to grow and improve.  that is why for him to have 15-20k per week is very reasonable for his current calibre.  It is just like us being once fresh grad or just out of school seeking job...u start with a lower wage (just like Taylor; at most 3 seasons of average first team football) unless you have outstanding credits.  Tbh, really disappointed with this suituation so far. 

Exactly, why would he accept 15k here when he could and probably would be on 40k elsewhere if he was to move clubs? I wonder how people on here would feel if new people coming into your office doing a similar job would be on three times your wages? Don't think many would happily accept an extension without bothering to negotiate a pay rise..

Taylor has 'AVERAGE' written all over him.

He has likely6 been tapped up by whoever and probably wants John Terry wages for Titus Bramble performances.

If he wasn't a 'local' then he would get the s*** his performances deserve.

Another Dyer scenario in my opinion. Let him go rather than have a useless c*** on £80k pw

Worst post ever tbh :undecided:

Guest MaetihS

Exactly, why would he accept 15k here when he could and probably would be on 40k elsewhere if he was to move clubs? I wonder how people on here would feel if new people coming into your office doing a similar job would be on three times your wages? Don't think many would happily accept an extension without bothering to negotiate a pay rise..

My...are u serious that he is that good that someone will pay him 40k unless its Chelsea who pay average players huge salaries?

He deserve to get between 40 50 k per week if he commits his 8 years future with us. The contract that has been offer to him was 5 years on the opition of 3 and that is long time you can say his entire career. I like the guy and we have to secure him with decent offer. It sickness me the likes of Babayaro gets more than what he gets.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Sorry what do you mean several years?? To me he has not a outstanding season yet; always blighted by silly mistakes, rash tackles and sending offs.  I do not mean to knock him..yes for a young player to make these silly mistakes are understandable and i have never blamed him or sounded my displeasure until this contract thing as I feel he has potential and ought to be given time to grow and improve.  that is why for him to have 15-20k per week is very reasonable for his current calibre.  It is just like us being once fresh grad or just out of school seeking job...u start with a lower wage (just like Taylor; at most 3 seasons of average first team football) unless you have outstanding credits.  Tbh, really disappointed with this suituation so far. 

I do think that you pay for potential too and not just the level they are on atm. And yes Taylor has been very important for us in the last seasons where we could easily have been included in the relegation battle if it wasnt for him who was the only one who was close to being consistently good which is rewarded now by given him the armband at the U21.

He's been in and around our squad for the last three seasons.. During that time he has been our most reliable defender, even though he was very young and only learning himself. You talk about outstanding credits, but I fail to see how he could have much better credits than being one of the best defensive talents of his generation and having been invited for the England senior team already, as well as outperforming players who were older, more experienced and much, much better paid than him. Again, if this were you, would you accept a much lower pay than your new colleagues if you had obviously contributed to a high extent to your work place just because you are younger and less experienced and had been around for a while (the loyalty factor)? I sure as hell wouldn't, which is one of the reasons why I've left my previous place of work..

He deserve to get between 40 50 k per week if he commits his 8 years future with us. The contract that has been offer to him was 5 years on the opition of 3 and that is long time you can say his entire career. I like the guy and we have to secure him with decent offer. It sickness me the likes of Babayaro gets more than what he gets.

£30k at a push.

He's an important part of the 1st team whether people like it or not, and that should be the mark he should be aiming for, £25k would be more reasonable, if he's reject an offer like that then he's mad.

It all depends on how much the other players are getting paid. Is Emre getting £60k+ a week? Is Duff or Barton on the same? Is Babayaro & Carr sitting pretty on £30k? Is Owen really hitting close to the £100k mark?

If these are true figures, the lad deserves more than £30k a week, as he's provided more to the club than any of those players mentioned, and will no doubt provide more in the future as well.

Guest MaetihS

I think the best way is to ask him to give us a real good solid season this year before the board offers him a 30k pay package.  We do not want another Dyer case whereby he gotten his pay via hype and not real performances on the field.  To think this pay thing comes up after all the hype on Taylor.  Like Shearer says, he is far from being a good defender and it worries me that he is listening to all the hype and thinks that he is terry but currently he is not even a micah richards.

My...are u serious that he is that good that someone will pay him 40k unless its Chelsea who pay average players huge salaries?

You are obviously out of tune with footballer's wages nowadays. What do you think somebody like Curtis Davies will be getting at Aston Villa considering they paid over 8 million to WBA for his signature, or Bale at Spurs? And it won't be just Chelsea willing to pay that too. Wasn't Liverpool quoted with an interest in Taylor not so long ago..?

I don't understand why an U21 Captain/ England B Team International cannot have wages as much as a player that just won his first U21 cap.

Anyway, no one should bottle Taylor unless he really knows how much he's offered by the club.

My estimation is somewhere like 15000-20000, while his demand is 30000.

However it's definitely true that he can earn 30k+ somewhere else---if he leaves as a bosman, it may increase to 50k.

I think the best way is to ask him to give us a real good solid season this year before the board offers him a 30k pay package.  We do not want another Dyer case whereby he gotten his pay via hype and not real performances on the field.  To think this pay thing comes up after all the hype on Taylor.  Like Shearer says, he is far from being a good defender and it worries me that he is listening to all the hype and thinks that he is terry but currently he is not even a micah richards.

It's the club that wants to extend his contract though, not the player taking the initiative. Let's wait for another year so he has only one season left and lose him for a pittannce or be in a much worse negotiation position when other teams will be tapping him up and offering him much more than we would have to offer now to protect our investment..

Guest sittingontheball

Slow news week - bloody internationals!  Bring on Derby!

This will all blow over.  Negotiations conducted via the media are not my cup of tea though, I must say.

Having a wage ceiling does not mean all the other players earn relative to the highest earner, i.e. Spurs with 45k limit would have their top players on 45, first team players at 30k squad players at 15 etc.. Players who consider moving to Spurs would still be looking close to their market value in terms of wages, wage limit or not.. Why would a player who could earn 40k elsewhere joing Spurs for half just because their highest paid player is on 45k? If it was that simple every club would set a limit and adjust their offers accordingly. It's an open market however..