The Goalkeeper Issue

Sparks

Guest sittingontheball

If he's playing Harper because he thinks he's better, he should keep him in even if he makes a mistake. You only change on a run of errors.  Keepers need confidence like everyone else.

Given for me all the way.

We have one of the best 'back up' keepers in the premiership and that's Harper. Given is and always will be, until retired, our No.1 keeper! Well done to Harper while Given was injured, but there shouldn't be any problem choosing the keeper when both are fit.

Guest michaelfoster

i think as Shay was injured, Harper got his chance, now they are both fit its Harper's place too lose. I think Harper was a fair way off his line so he's lost his chance & Given should get his place back

This annoys me, yes Harper is playing good but surely Shay should be given (pun) some kind of chance? He is a better keeper imo, its a shame that now when we finally have a good defence that Shay isnt number 1 goalie.

Exactly, you can't just go around benching Harper when he is in top form, it'll ruin him and it won't do Given any favours either.

Harper is playing very well, he should keep his spot and the onus is on Given to earn his spot back, which will require some outstanding work in the cup matches. The competition can only help the club.

Just 2 thoughts

1. I just hope no one will bash Harper just because he's chosen to be the starter. He's playing well and it's not his fault for forcing Given on bench.

2. If Given won't be picked against Arsenal there must be something happened. Probably a bust up with Big Sam.