Albert Luque (Thread #3463225)

NSG

It tells you something about the board or who ever decides to keep offering money to a player who really doesnt fancy coming to the north east of england. 

At what point do you say to yourself "hmm, should we really be offering this much money to a player who isn't interested?"

Guest bluegeordie

One thing's for sure, I'd treat any character references written by Samuel Eto'o with a high degree of suspicion  :shifty:

"I employed BTK as my PA for 6 months in 2002-03, and despite the fact that several young women in my immediate neighbourhood went missing during that time, I consider him to be a person of sound character, and indeed any future employer would be lucky to secure his services. Yours sincerely, S Eto'o"   

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2007/09/21/luque-i-came-to-united-for-money-61634-19822811/

Luque: I came to United for money

Sep 21 2007 by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

ALBERT Luque has admitted he never wanted to join Newcastle United but was made an offer “too good to refuse”. Nevertheless, the Spanish winger claims he took a big pay cut to end his life as a “tourist” and escape a club with “no vision”.

The forward joined for £9.5m from Deportivo La Coruña in August 2005 but was sold to Ajax at a £7.5m loss two years later after making a negligible impact. Luque started just six Premier League games, scoring three goals in 34 appearances in all competitions and now claims he never wanted to join the Magpies.

“I gave Newcastle a negative reply when they called,” the 29-year-old recalled. “I was having a great time at Depor. I put in fine performances, lived in a beautiful town and there was no reason to leave. (But) they came up with an offer too good to refuse. I had a talk with then-chairman, Freddie Shepherd, and told him how much I wanted to earn. It was a ludicrous amount, but he didn’t bat an eyelid. The negotiations with Deportivo were also over in no time. (President Augusto Cesar) Lendoiro told Shepherd the asking price was £9.5m and Shepherd simply said ‘yes’ twice.”

Luque joined a full Spanish international and a regular in one of La Liga’s best sides. Many felt a lack of motivation was to blame for his failure to transfer that talent to English football and his comments to Voetbal International do little to dispel the theory.

“I was going to earn lots and lots of money at a club I had never paid attention to before and move to a town I knew nothing about,” he said. “I hardly knew any of my new colleagues and hardly spoke any English. I tore a hamstring in my second league appearance, was on the sidelines for three months and when I returned there was a new manager (Glenn Roeder).

“He ignored me completely. I often started on the bench and even more often was forced to watch from the stands. I never got an opportunity to adapt to the British style.”

Although Luque claimed to get on much better with Sam Allardyce, he had reached the end of his tether when the 52-year-old arrived. “It gradually dawned on me I was not one of Roeder’s signings and no matter how well I did at training, he would only include me in the starting line-up for a cup competition they don’t take seriously in England,” he said.

“Sam Allardyce told me on his first working day I deserved a genuine chance. He had seen me at Deportivo and was sure I couldn’t have lost the knack. I did believe him, but I was fed up with life in Newcastle. After two dismal years I didn’t want to stay any longer. I was frequently linked with Spanish clubs in those two years, but they couldn’t meet my wage demands. I earned an incredible amount and was not willing to let it go. But this summer I came to the conclusion that money is not the only thing in life.

“I told Newcastle’s new chairman, Chris Mort, money was not an issue any more, provided they let me go. I was fed up with leading a tourist-like life.”

Luque blamed the running of the club for the failure to lift a domestic trophy since 1955, and believes they will be much better off now Roeder and Shepherd have left. “They have a lot of potential and money to spend, but no genuine vision on how to run a club or create conditions to ensure success,” he explained. “The stadium is invariably packed and 5,000 to 10,000 fans support their team vociferously at every away game. But the club never raises silverware.

“I was signed alongside Jean-Alain Boumsong, who cost £8m. He did not feature in Roeder’s plans either and was another example of money down the drain. I am glad Shepherd and Roeder have gone and delighted Mort and Allardyce have taken over. They have made a good impression on me. I just hope the players and fans see some success at long last.”

Guest bluegeordie

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2007/09/21/luque-i-came-to-united-for-money-61634-19822811/

Luque: I came to United for money

Sep 21 2007 by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

ALBERT Luque has admitted he never wanted to join Newcastle United but was made an offer “too good to refuse”. Nevertheless, the Spanish winger claims he took a big pay cut to end his life as a “tourist” and escape a club with “no vision”.

The forward joined for £9.5m from Deportivo La Coruña in August 2005 but was sold to Ajax at a £7.5m loss two years later after making a negligible impact. Luque started just six Premier League games, scoring three goals in 34 appearances in all competitions and now claims he never wanted to join the Magpies.

“I gave Newcastle a negative reply when they called,” the 29-year-old recalled. “I was having a great time at Depor. I put in fine performances, lived in a beautiful town and there was no reason to leave. (But) they came up with an offer too good to refuse. I had a talk with then-chairman, Freddie Shepherd, and told him how much I wanted to earn. It was a ludicrous amount, but he didn’t bat an eyelid. The negotiations with Deportivo were also over in no time. (President Augusto Cesar) Lendoiro told Shepherd the asking price was £9.5m and Shepherd simply said ‘yes’ twice.”

Luque joined a full Spanish international and a regular in one of La Liga’s best sides. Many felt a lack of motivation was to blame for his failure to transfer that talent to English football and his comments to Voetbal International do little to dispel the theory.

“I was going to earn lots and lots of money at a club I had never paid attention to before and move to a town I knew nothing about,” he said. “I hardly knew any of my new colleagues and hardly spoke any English. I tore a hamstring in my second league appearance, was on the sidelines for three months and when I returned there was a new manager (Glenn Roeder).

“He ignored me completely. I often started on the bench and even more often was forced to watch from the stands. I never got an opportunity to adapt to the British style.”

Although Luque claimed to get on much better with Sam Allardyce, he had reached the end of his tether when the 52-year-old arrived. “It gradually dawned on me I was not one of Roeder’s signings and no matter how well I did at training, he would only include me in the starting line-up for a cup competition they don’t take seriously in England,” he said.

“Sam Allardyce told me on his first working day I deserved a genuine chance. He had seen me at Deportivo and was sure I couldn’t have lost the knack. I did believe him, but I was fed up with life in Newcastle. After two dismal years I didn’t want to stay any longer. I was frequently linked with Spanish clubs in those two years, but they couldn’t meet my wage demands. I earned an incredible amount and was not willing to let it go. But this summer I came to the conclusion that money is not the only thing in life.

“I told Newcastle’s new chairman, Chris Mort, money was not an issue any more, provided they let me go. I was fed up with leading a tourist-like life.”

Luque blamed the running of the club for the failure to lift a domestic trophy since 1955, and believes they will be much better off now Roeder and Shepherd have left. “They have a lot of potential and money to spend, but no genuine vision on how to run a club or create conditions to ensure success,” he explained. “The stadium is invariably packed and 5,000 to 10,000 fans support their team vociferously at every away game. But the club never raises silverware.

“I was signed alongside Jean-Alain Boumsong, who cost £8m. He did not feature in Roeder’s plans either and was another example of money down the drain. I am glad Shepherd and Roeder have gone and delighted Mort and Allardyce have taken over. They have made a good impression on me. I just hope the players and fans see some success at long last.”

I know it's a little long, but it's hard to think of a more appropriate epitaph for the previous regime than these quotes. They're also a pretty persuasive argument for the re-introduction of the death penalty, imho ...

Has said he didn't want to sign for NUFC, only signed for the ludicrous money. Reckons Roeder is a t*** but thinks the new management will go on to succeed.

Pretty much what most of us thought. What a waster/wanker. Hope he tears his hamstring again or alot worse. Twat is laughing all the way to the bank though at our expense.  >:(  How can anyone seriously feel sorry for him? He's the epitomy of a foriegn mercenary from hell! Good riddance to a horrible piece of shit. We are still paying for Soumess's numerous mistakes.

I personally doubt he had any interest in doing well here but like he said the money is what did it for him, I admire his honesty but it does go to prove he was a waste of space and that Freddy was/is a total fkn idiot!!!

We are still paying for Soumess's numerous mistakes.

It was Fredricks negotation skills that signed him.

Souness wanted Boa Morte iirc - but the club wouldn't meet Fulham's valuation. I am not a Souness supporter (are there any?) but I am not convinced that he had much to do with Luque joining us.

Guest bluegeordie

So no one here would have done the same? (as luque)

I don't consider myself a saint, but honestly Gray, my answer is "no". There is no reason why a player can't have money and integrity, and even if it can prove a more arduous path, it's the one that I believe I'd opt for. This is especially true in the likes of Luque's case,  in that he can hardly have been on the breadline in Spain.

Also, even if I did succumb and sell out completely, I'm sure that I'd harbour sufficient guilt and shame to prevent me making the sorts of comments that are attributed to Luque in The Journal.   

Guest Stephen927

If I was offered that amount of money, I'd have to seriously consider it.

You have to question the board's decision to throw money at a player who wasn't at all keen on moving. Just another example of the bad management that this club has experienced over the years, hope we can now continue to turn the corner, and continue to sign players who want to play for this club.