Left Wing Head Ache

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest optimistic nit

If Duff returns and plays to his real ability he should be used on the right with Zog on the left, swapping over as they see fit during play.

good shout.

i think allardyce should (and i know he will) do the same thing when duff gets back, as he is doing for our keeper. which will be good for zoggy, as before he was straight out of the team when duff got back. i really don't like any of our rw options though, so i would play duff there. milner can do well, but his performance at derby soured my view on him massively.

If Duff returns and plays to his real ability he should be used on the right with Zog on the left, swapping over as they see fit during play.

Milner, although erratic, can beat his man. Milner, although erratic, can put in a good cross. Milner can shoot, and score, n'all.

Duff can do jack s***.

I keep forgetting he plays for us.

Sorry but Milner can do neither of these you listed above...

Was f****** s**** last season, he wasn't on 'top form' - ever. What is this top form, btw? Season 04/05? He's been on the downfall since then, was God awful last season, is a year older, is a major injury worse off, blah blah. Plus, not only is he s****, he acts like a w****** on the pitch.

Not a player i hold hope out for.

From his blackburn days, Duff would be amazing...Only if he recaptures his Blackburn and early Chelsea days...

I think the question should be Milner or Duff on the right...

That is a better question and the answer is simple: If Duff is back to his best then he is MILES better than Milner...Milner is AVERAGE; A decent squad player...

That is a better question and the answer is simple: If Duff is back to his best then he is MILES better than Milner...Milner is AVERAGE; A decent squad player...

True, but if Duff just play similar to Milner's level then I'll prefer Milner.

what about if sam converts duff to more of an atacking midfielder role.  ?    Bartons understudy.  AM thinking medium term here.  Assuming we get into europe  again then next year we will rely on squad rotation.

duff should be playable for either of zog, barton or milner.  This could be very useful if we get  fixture congestion from a domestic cup run and uefa games.

For the rest of this year he should be a squad player/benchwarmer.

Even if Duff was (with 'was' being the key word here) better than Milner, he's knocking on a bit, whereas Milner still has plenty of time to improve.

Everyone keeps saying he's a squad player at best, and they make this judgment by how he played under Souness and Roeder. All of our player were crap back then.

IIRC, Milner was our best player last season, playing on the right. Give the lad a chance playing where he wants to in a decent squad man. :(

Everyone complained when he went to Villa so Solano could return here, then everyone wanted Freddy to keep him when it looked like we were selling him, then he came back, played great... now everyone wants him to sit on the bench, I don't get it? :/

Zoggy has proved he is good enough to keep the left wing slot for himself with the few minutes he has had up front this season. Duff has never played well for us and we are all waiting for him to recover his Blackburn form...

He will be good competition for zoggy and it will be good to have some pressure on our players.

I think we should be looking at buying somebody in Jan for the right wing, not necessarily to replace Milner but somebody to cover that position. We are very short in this area now that Solano and Dyer have left, if milner got injured we would have to put up with smith on the right.....aaaaarrrggghhhh!

For now,I would rather stick with Zoggy because Duff hasnt shown me enough of what he can do since coming here from Chelsea,and he is prone to injury.But it would be interesting to see how he perform once he is back from his injury,and hopefully he can give a good performance and fight with N'zogbia for the left slot,if Big Sam decided to play him there.Right now,I dont know whether N'zogbia should stick to left back or left midfield.

Milner, although erratic, can beat his man. Milner, although erratic, can put in a good cross. Milner can shoot, and score, n'all.

Duff can do jack s***.

Utter nonsense.

Obviously Zoggy. Very big 'IF' Duff gets back to top form. Zoggy's player of the season so far and absolute class atm It'd be a nice problem to have 'IF' Duff recaptures some great form. We need a squad that gives us these options because we'll undoubtably have injuries.

I think like most Zoggy for LW but BSA seems to love him at LB, i woulden't be hugely shocked if he plays Zoggy LB and duff LW! Although Enrique and Zogg it is for me. 

Duff can do jack s***.

Utter nonsense.

Sorry but HE CAN'T...We will never be a threat from right wing until we find a replacement for Solano...

Milner is a squad player once BSA finds the new Solano

As mentioned, pretty big "if" - as big as they come really, not far off "if Luque gets his confidence and touch back..." standards.

He was s*** for Chelsea for some time when we signed him. Hes been s*** for us in the exact same way. Im not one to say anything is impossible, but by all signs the Damien Duff of old that could tare teams apart is finished, and instead all thats left is a timid, workmanlike winger who will provide one or two assists and goals every dozen or so games. And its got nowt to do with the team, manager, players around him, etc, since as mentioned, his dire form for us is exactly what I saw for Chelsea for at least 1 and a half seasons prior to us signing him, except that it was hidden better in a title challenging side.

At this point in time, hes an average squad player who is by no means top class and is purely living off reputation.

I think you have alot of faith in players who had their best years several seasons ago, since youve held the same stance with Bowyer, Smith and Duff too, players who havent performed well for a few seasons now - maybe thats commendable since when they played well they were good players, but on the other hand I think thats too much faith to be putting in players who are giving no indication at all of turning back the clock.