Man City vs Newcastle

Decky

i wonder how smith would do as a DM... works hard, tackles good... altough his distribution has been s*** at times, could acually be a more versatile player then we think

Smith ''tackles good''. He's not impressed me with his tackling ability, he's already picked up 4 yellow cards.

well... scott parker had 17 yellow and a red card (two yellows) in 55 apperances for nufc! thats a yellow card each 2,8 game.

smith has another job as well! usually chases people from att to def! as scott parker did the opposite! as i said... wonder how he would do in the dm pos

but i could only find 4 yellow cards in 9 matches for smith? so thats a yellow card easy 2,25 game! hard to judge as hes only had a few games! but i get your drift!

doesnt mean hes a bad tackler dough!

although its a bit disturbing they all came in second half! is it his temper or just his eager to maintain pressure that causes them?

sry for drifting a bit out of topic :) but cant find any other treads that suits the bill

Scott Parker was a shit tackler too although better than Smith.

Guest Knightrider

i wonder how smith would do as a DM... works hard, tackles good... altough his distribution has been s*** at times, could acually be a more versatile player then we think

Smith ''tackles good''. He's not impressed me with his tackling ability, he's already picked up 4 yellow cards.

well... scott parker had 17 yellow and a red card (two yellows) in 55 apperances for nufc! thats a yellow card each 2,8 game.

smith has another job as well! usually chases people from att to def! as scott parker did the opposite! as i said... wonder how he would do in the dm pos

but i could only find 4 yellow cards in 9 matches for smith? so thats a yellow card easy 2,25 game! hard to judge as hes only had a few games! but i get your drift!

although its a bit disturbing they all came in second half! is it his temper or just his eager to maintain pressure that causes them?

sry for drifting a bit out of topic :) but cant find any other treads that suits the bill

No he wasn't, he often won most of his tackles. Given that tackling itself is a 50-50 thing I think he was quite good at it. What Parker did wrong was he choose to tackle all the time, when there was no need to tackle all the time. Smith on the other hand can't win a tackle to save his life full stop, he's a dangerous player in the tackle and a liability and I prefer our players to stay on their feet unless they have no choice. Pressing is where it's at, which Smith is good at and so was Parker incidentally.

Guest Knightrider

We are due a win at the COMS and I feel the wheels are due to fly off Sven's City at any moment. Sadly I don't think we are the team to bring that about. I'd be happy with a draw though and believe we can come home with a point. A defeat nor a win even wouldn't surprise me though. NUFC and City. My god two of the most predictably unpredictable clubs in football. Anything can happen whenever these two are in action.

No he wasn't, he often won most of his tackles. Given that tackling itself is a 50-50 thing I think he was quite good at it. What Parker did wrong was he choose to tackle all the time, when there was no need to tackle all the time. Smith on the other hand can't win a tackle to save his life full stop, he's a dangerous player in the tackle and a liability and I prefer our players to stay on their feet unless they have no choice. Pressing is where it's at, which Smith is good at and so was Parker incidentally.

Yes he was, Parker was similar to Smith in that every tackle had to be the big spectacular sliding tackle that the crowd often appreciates, you only have to watch Nicky Butt to see that you don't need to go to ground every time you make a tackle, if you continue to do that then you won't be able to get up in time to recover.

As for pressing, Parker didn't press he'd chase, if players were passing the ball around he'd try and close down every one of them like a dog would in the local park chasing the ball, Smith is better than him in that area but both are poor midfielder players.

Guest Knightrider

Yes he was, Parker was similar to Smith in that every tackle had to be the big spectacular sliding tackle that the crowd often appreciates, you only have to watch Nicky Butt to see that you don't need to go to ground every time you make a tackle, if you continue to do that then you won't be able to get up in time to recover.

As for pressing, Parker didn't press he'd chase, if players were passing the ball around he'd try and close down every one of them like a dog would in the local park chasing the ball, Smith is better than him in that area but both are poor midfielder players.

But Parker often won his tackle so therefore he wasn't a shite tackler, in that he could win the ball and often did. I disagree with you regarding pressing, he was good at it, but like with his tackling (where we agree), he did it all the time, meaning he'd cross parts of the field that he was meant to be protecting (space) or sticking to, i.e. he went everywhere on one big tackling and pressing rampage. Doesn't mean he couldn't do both though. Discipline was his issue, and not so much ability in the tackle/pressing. That and a lack of brains on the touchline to spot this, do something about it, and put such things to better use.

Scott Parker was a s*** tackler too although better than Smith.

But Parker often won his tackle so therefore he wasn't a s**** tackler, in that he could win the ball and often did. I disagree with you regarding pressing, he was good at it, but like with his tackling (where we agree), he did it all the time, meaning he'd cross parts of the field that he was meant to be protecting (space) or sticking to, i.e. he went everywhere on one big tackling and pressing rampage. Doesn't mean he couldn't do both though. Discipline was his issue, and not so much ability in the tackle/pressing. That and a lack of brains on the touchline to spot this, do something about it, and put such things to better use.

1. parker is not a bad tackler! but does hit em head on sometimes for sport and crowd (remember the scott parker tackle on joe cole mackems.gif )

the thing with parker that he does not judge the times for tackling as good as butt, butt sees more times when he can stay up and just take the ball than tackle. ill give you that! but that does not mean parker is a bad tackler.

2. the discussion wernt about tackling in it self but if smith could do as an DM, does he have the workrate, tackle, pressing (closing down the bag) and so on, that could with the right guidance (aka sam) be a good DM? as for now he doesnt look like a winger or a att midfielder in my eyes. and we probably wont use him up front as he looks like 6th (omg ameobi) in the line for the striker role!

The persistent Smith bashing on this site is becoming tedious. The scenario reminds me of when we signed Gary Speed and he was originally shoved out of position on the left wing. He wasnt great there but gradually worked his way into his true position and became a very good servant to the club. People are seemingly queuing up to write Smith off- i wish over the years we had more people with his attitude and willingness to put the team before his own personal agenda (eg Dyer). The lack of anything resembling patience by some of the posters on here is beyond ridiculous.

The persistent Smith bashing on this site is becoming tedious. The scenario reminds me of when we signed Gary Speed and he was originally shoved out of position on the left wing. He wasnt great there but gradually worked his way into his true position and became a very good servant to the club. People are seemingly queuing up to write Smith off- i wish over the years we had more people with his attitude and willingness to put the team before his own personal agenda (eg Dyer). The lack of anything resembling patience by some of the posters on here is beyond ridiculous.

Its par for the course. Plenty people on here with opinions based on fuck all. He couldn't kick Dyers arse tbh as a footballer but nowt wrong with his willingness or his versatility. People hammered Bellamy before he played a game and your Speed reference is spot on.

Personally i'd rather we had two talented wasters and two talented grafters - Dyer, Speed, Solano and Robert to the mediocrity we have now but each to their own.

Interesteing comparison. Speed got lots of criticism even when he was playing in the middle though - and TBF he was also playing a position that was not natural for him. He came here as an Attacking CM was moved out to play LW and then was eventually partnered with Dyer to play DCM. I doubt Smudger will ever be as well liked as Speed because ultimately Speed was a good lad whereas Smudger has always been a bit of a dick. Personality will have as much as an influence as ability when people pass judgement on him.

We are due a win at the COMS and I feel the wheels are due to fly off Sven's City at any moment. Sadly I don't think we are the team to bring that about. I'd be happy with a draw though and believe we can come home with a point. A defeat nor a win even wouldn't surprise me though. NUFC and City. My god two of the most predictably unpredictable clubs in football. Anything can happen whenever these two are in action.

Aye we're two unpredictable sides at the best of times, but with two new owners, managers and teams in place, anything could happen tomorrow.

I don't think City are all that personally, thing is we don't really know how good we are ourselves yet. Arsenal and Villa are the only decent sides we've played, possibly West Ham too. Two of those sides have found us out but we looked decent at times against West Ham. I think these next three games (Man City, Everton & Tottenham) will give us a good examination. It's a bit concerning that after those three we still haven't played any of the top four, it adds a lot of weight to those games IMO. This is why I feel a lot of fans don't appreciate the easy start we've had.

Dont agree with Dyer dont think he has any talent

You had better take to watching another sport then. He was a very important player when we finished 3,4,5. Better than we have at present sadly.

You had better take to watching another sport then. He was a very important player when we finished 3,4,5. Better than we have at present sadly.

He isnt better if he doesnt play he used to have about 4 good games then go missing

It was more relying on Bellamy Shearer from crosses of Robert and Solano than Dyer

He had a couple of good seasons that helped us. Certainly werent a one man team. Robert, Nobby, Shearer, Bellas were just as impotant.

Much rather have Smith than Dyer. Better person, harder worker, and not likely to burn £50 notes in my face while laughing.

Guest Knightrider

I'd kill for a Gary Speed in our midfield, I never understood the stick he got which bordered on ridiculousness at times. He was a great player for us, one of those players who were very much underrated. He's still going strong today as well. Top player and a top bloke. He'll be back here one day I feel.

He isnt better if he doesnt play he used to have about 4 good games then go missing

It was more relying on Bellamy Shearer from crosses of Robert and Solano than Dyer

Can't agree but thats what its all about. Certainly that midfield is a country mile stronger than anything we have now. Anyone of the 4 (at that time) would walk into our current side. As would the two forwards.

So does Shay Given get dropped again tomorrow while we wait for him to hand in a transfer request or for Harper to make a mistake??

Goalkeeping rotation policies are really stupid when you have a world class goalie. Successful clubs have a first choice and stick with them ffs.

Look at what happened when Gullit dropped Given in favour of Harper for the '99 Cup Final.

The thought of losing our most consistent player over the last 10 years really pisses me off now.

So does Shay Given get dropped again tomorrow while we wait for him to hand in a transfer request or for Harper to make a mistake??

Goalkeeping rotation policies are really stupid when you have a world class goalie. Successful clubs have a first choice and stick with them ffs.

Look at what happened when Gullit dropped Given in favour of Harper for the '99 Cup Final.

The thought of losing our most consistent player over the last 10 years really pisses me off now.

It doesn't worry me really. Given is very good but Harper is playing well. Too well to be dropped. He had a meeting with Sam and was given his word that he wouldn't be dropped of he got in and performed. He has done that. Not convinced he will keep it up though so I suspect Shay will be back in the near future.

Harper is doing well yes, but Shay would do just as well if not better because he is better quality so it still doesnt make sense. Harper has had a decent run in the team this season with 6 prem appearences, its now time to give us back Shay.

Guest firetotheworks

If Sams given Harper (pardon the pun) his word then he should, and probably will stick to it. Yes you need a number 1, but theres no reason why Harper cant be the number 1, its a whole new defence so why not? Given has been number 1 since Robson dropped Harper for the Chelsea FAC semi final game, despite Harper being excellent during our run up until then. At the time Robson said it was one of the hardest managerial decisions hes had to make, and thats because they were very well matched in terms of ability.