Man City vs Newcastle

Decky

City will score after about an hour, we'll have a real go in the last ten minutes but if ever a game had a nailed on 1-0 home win, its this one tomorrow.

Guest Synthespian

If Sams given Harper (pardon the pun) his word then he should, and probably will stick to it. Yes you need a number 1, but theres no reason why Harper cant be the number 1, its a whole new defence so why not? Given has been number 1 since Robson dropped Harper for the Chelsea FAC semi final game, despite Harper being excellent during our run up until then. At the time Robson said it was one of the hardest managerial decisions hes had to make, and thats because they were very well matched in terms of ability.

Think about what that "promise" means for the entire team.

It means Sam is willing to give a player who "takes his chance" every chance to keep it.

If he doesn't then he's got a team of players who feel they could be dropped for no reason - look at Zogs for proof of that.  He's played fantastically well, and actually adapted to being an attacking wing-back, something he wasn't showing any progress at being able to do under Roeder.

You've got to give people a chance.

Shay could easily walk into any team, but he's got to be sensible as to why he's here.

He's kept a very loyal and professional Steve Harper on the bench for 10 years, and he's got to accept the next 3 months, or 9 months if that's what happens.

I appreciate he's the No.1 for Ireland and wants to add to his caps ... but that's a different matter.

For me, you always play your best players and Given is a superior keeper to Harper. Its about putting out the best eleven, not giving someone a go as he's been a loyal servant over the years.

Guest Rey Mysterio

City will score after about an hour, we'll have a real go in the last ten minutes but if ever a game had a nailed on 1-0 home win, its this one tomorrow.

I echo your sentiments entirely.

Smith - Geremi - Butt

No i was joking

3-1

0-0

2-2

2-0

1-0 (20 shots, 10 on goal)

0-1

3-1

0-2

Ok we aren't the most creative team in the league but we have our moments. 11 goals in 8 games isn't the worst goalscoring ratio. 9 goals in 6 league games.

Smith - Geremi - Butt

No i was joking

3-1

0-0

2-2

2-0

0-1

3-1

0-2

Ok we aren't the most creative team in the league but we have our moments. 11 goals in 8 games isn't the worst goalscoring ratio. 9 goals in 6 league games.

Even though we have scored a few it still doesn't feel like we're creating much, if that makes any sense.

Dont agree with Dyer dont think he has any talent

You had better take to watching another sport then. He was a very important player when we finished 3,4,5. Better than we have at present sadly.

He isnt better if he doesnt play he used to have about 4 good games then go missing

It was more relying on Bellamy Shearer from crosses of Robert and Solano than Dyer

Can't agree but thats what its all about. Certainly that midfield is a country mile stronger than anything we have now. Anyone of the 4 (at that time) would walk into our current side. As would the two forwards.

Agree with that.

Smith - Geremi - Butt

No i was joking

3-1

0-0

2-2

2-0

0-1

3-1

0-2

Even though we have scored a few it still doesn't feel like we're creating much, if that makes any sense.

Yeah we could be creating a lot more but I wouldn't say we wont beat City because we can't create enough. Oba has missed two good chances recently (although I am just going from what others have said about the Arsenal game) I can see him getting one or two soon. Fatty Viduka is probably on a high after Wist Am so if he is fit he will probably be dangerous. Hopefully Enrique will play then we will have two wingers one being the in form Zoggy who can destroy any team when things start to click for him.

Will be a hard game but I wont rule us out, especially with their apparent injuries.

Smith - Geremi - Butt

No i was joking

3-1

0-0

2-2

2-0

0-1

3-1

0-2

The goals we have scored havent really been well set up tbh. Some individual goals and cock ups from the opposition.

Against a very average Villa side we created next to nowt. Against a poor Derby side we did next to nowt. Even against Barnsley it was huff and puff.

Basically our "creative" players arent good enough and we are relying on a lad out of positon at fullback for any spark. Jon's not going to like it but Milner has been piss poor this season. Just not good enough. The other three arent built for the creative role or are playing in positions where they cant do it (although Geremi could if he changed position).

The supply basically has been weak and there is no pace at all. Again, we relied on Zog to outsprint Bowyer for the crucial goal. None of our midfield would have got there (with the possible exception of Geremi and even then I doubt it).

Petrov overdoes it times but he and Elano are a light year ahead of what we have.

We are never winning this, we are too uncreative atm.

If Zoggy plays well, I think we'll win. If he doesnt, I can see us losing due to a lack of chances. Right now hes the only one who looks like hes capable of creating something.

If Zoggy plays well, I think we'll win. If he doesnt, I can see us losing due to a lack of chances. Right now hes the only one who looks like hes capable of creating something.

Spot on. time for a few changes imo

Geremi on the right and Zog on the left. We have enough with Smith and Butt in the middle to bore them to tears.

So does Shay Given get dropped again tomorrow while we wait for him to hand in a transfer request or for Harper to make a mistake??

Goalkeeping rotation policies are really stupid when you have a world class goalie. Successful clubs have a first choice and stick with them ffs.

Look at what happened when Gullit dropped Given in favour of Harper for the '99 Cup Final.

The thought of losing our most consistent player over the last 10 years really pisses me off now.

It doesn't worry me really. Given is very good but Harper is playing well. Too well to be dropped. He had a meeting with Sam and was given his word that he wouldn't be dropped of he got in and performed. He has done that. Not convinced he will keep it up though so I suspect Shay will be back in the near future.

Spot on, that.

Spot on. time for a few changes imo

Geremi on the right and Zog on the left. We have enough with Smith and Butt in the middle to bore them to tears.

I really don't see what Geremi has done to warrant any support for him playing down the right. Each to their own, you are desperate to get the "spotty kid" (blatant issues) out though.