What do you class as success

ToonTastic

Guest bluegeordie

blueyes.gif  I definitely agree with that analysis - this season should not be considered a "success" unless we make it into the top six, but Sam's job should not necessarily hinge upon him doing so, although it may do, depending on a combination of 1) how far short we were to fall from that target, and 2) the particular set of reasons for that shortfall (for instance, if we were to finish 7th when half of our squad had been killed in a freak traffic accident, it would seem a tad unfair to give BS his marching orders ... although I suppose you could argue that it depends upon which half of our squad had perished :shifty:).     

Guest bluegeordie

This season top 8 and good FA Cup run

agreed entirely. we need to do well, but its too much to expect a new manager to come in and instantly move us up from 13th to 6th all in one season! look at villa- they moved up what about 4 or 5 places when oneill came in? if we move from 13th to 8th, and give the fa cup a good go ill be happy this season. we need long term stability, and the injuries arent going to instantly sort themselves out- hopefully this season will be better than last, and so on.

Last season was an aberration. We had a massive injury crisis that meant we couldn't play the same defense for more than 2 games in a row at any point in the season, and forced the manager's hand in the transfer market in that he had to spend most of his budget on a replacement main striker. Even Roeder's harshest critics must concede that we would have had different transfer priorities and had better performances/results last year without those problems. Allardyce inherited a squad which finished 7th under a mixture of Souness (under constant threat of the sack) and Roeder (as a caretaker manager) - hardly a scenario conducive to getting the best out of a team. The only significant departure from that squad was an ageing Shearer, and it had been boosted by the addition of Martins. He had the entire Summer to make his transfers (unhindered by a Summer international tournament) with as big a budget as previous managers have had on average. There may have been a bit of pissing around when Ashley first took over which may have affected some transfers, but other than that the ownership change cannot be used as an excuse for performances on the pitch now.

Barring another major injury crisis, I don't see why it should not be a realistic target for Allardyce to match or better that 7th this season. [That's not to say I think he should be kicked out if we don't get 7th btw before someone accuses me of saying that.]

Sorry :blush:, my post above was referring to the above analysis.

Guest optimistic nit

i'd rather finish 2nd in the prem than win the carling cup.

That needs a little perspective.

I'd rather win the Carling Cup & finish out of the relegation zone than finish 2nd in the league.

I'd rather finish 2nd in the league on a regular basis than win the Carling Cup & finish out the relegation zone.

For where we are now I'd love to win the Carling Cup.

As to the question the simple answer must be silverware & top 6 finishes.

its a good thing they didn't get you to write the offside rule or benitez and redkapp would be even more befuddled than their current state of befuddlement, which is pretty damn befuddled.

Guest RodrigoPalacio

We need a trophy first off, to get rid of that shite statistic.  From then on, I'd take a higher league placing than winning the league cup, not so sure bout the FA though.

For this season, and just this season: top half of the table. This season is a big change in circumstances and personnel both on and off the pitch and we need stability so i'll settle for a top half finish as long as we appear to be heading in the right way.

Subsequent seasons: win a cup obviously, aim for and get top ten, aim for and get top 6, aim for and get inside top 4.

For this season, and just this season: top half of the table. This season is a big change in circumstances and personnel both on and off the pitch and we need stability so i'll settle for a top half finish as long as we appear to be heading in the right way.

Subsequent seasons: win a cup obviously, aim for and get top ten, aim for and get top 6, aim for and get inside top 4.

Within reasonable timescales (probably shorter ones than many are saying - but definitely NOT in the immediate future) the above should be extended to include "Challenging seriously for the title" (as, most recently, in the Robson/Keegan periods) and then "challenging season in, season out" and then, winning the league and a sprinkling of cups, for a prolonged period.

At this club (and with our new owners) we should not be so FRIGHTENED to say this  -  but do NOT expect Ashley/Mort/Allardyce to say anything like this. They are far too clever and professional for that.

Within reasonable timescales (probably shorter ones than many are saying - but definitely NOT in the immediate future) the above should be extended to include "Challenging seriously for the title" (as, most recently, in the Robson/Keegan periods) and then "challenging season in, season out" and then, winning the league and a sprinkling of cups, for a prolonged period.

At this club (and with our new owners) we should not be so FRIGHTENED to say this  -  but do NOT expect Ashley/Mort/Allardyce to say anything like this. They are far too clever and professional for that.

True, but I think we have to learn to walk first before we start running.

I think our new regime are as well aware of that as you and I are.  If not more so.

I think our new regime are as well aware of that as you and I are.  If not more so.

amen

This season?

Top 8 would be a great start. I think its realistic and mos (not everyone) would be happy. After that, just to progress. Sam really has to be given a few years. We need to change the mentallity of this club of stop bloody changing maagers every year and a half.

Guest firetotheworks

This season - Noticable improvement, particularly in defence and a top 8 finish

Next season - Continued improvement and europe

After that pushing for a champions league place

After that who knows.

Guest Synthespian

It's a very good question.

I personally would like us to finish in the top 8, and make significant progress in the FA Cup - now that we've been knocked out of the League Cup.  :crazy2:

Why this?

Well ... I reckon that Big Sam has got a good thing on the run, and I think his prognosis is right that this team is very new and they are starting to learn how to play together.

Well ... we can't afford for that to last a season.

We have got to look at things to have progressed in the New Year.

We don't meet Chelsea until December 29th and Liverpool in November.  Arsenal and Man U we do not meet until the New Year.

That's a much easier start to the season to get things right.

Give us two winnable cup games for the confidence and then allow the team to have gelled properly and we'll be on a march of sorts.

Next season, even if we have to get some reinforcements we've got to aim (if not finish) for the top 3/4.

After some seasons of real dross, qualification for the UEFA Cup will be relative success this season. Overall, Sam's long term goals should be the top 5 and maybe a trophy would be a nice little pipe dream too.

This season: Europe.

Next three or four seasons: Regular European football, decent runs not going out to some pub-team, and hopefully a trophy of some description.

Next ten years: Regular Champions' League football, definitely a trophy of some kind, challenging for the Premiership.