Sam - Oba can fill Owen's Boots

Skirge

like i said in another thread, if martins can improve his finishing, aerial ability, control, passing, movement and occasionally show us how quick he is, he'd be a great replacement for owen.

Owen has been no better for Newcastle than Martins has.

I suspect if you compare their goals per games ratio, Owen'd be miles ahead.

I mean overall

True. But if we could get him fit, history suggests he would be invaluable to us.

I only hope that Martins will get to play all of the time and we stick with him.

If I had to sell Martins or Owen, it would definitely be Owen. Martins' only problems at Newcastle will be the fans (who will condemn him after a few games without scoring) and Owen, who will always automatically start because of his History.

I noticed a post on here a while ago about this forum being in contact with the club and they will listen to our views etc, well, tell them to give Martins a start in every game from now until the end of the season, I bet he'll get more goals than Owen would.

By the way, I'm a Martins fan. :p

-edit- Oh and while you're telling the club this, ask them to play Smith or Viduka upfront with him, instead of Ameobi. ;)

like i said in another thread, if martins can improve his finishing, aerial ability, control, passing, movement and occasionally show us how quick he is, he'd be a great replacement for owen.

I mean overall

True. But if we could get him fit, history suggests he would be invaluable to us.

Just looked it up, its closer than i thought it would be to be honest

Martins  Appearances 48 Goals 20 

Owen Appearances 18 Goals 9

I suspect if you compare goals scored in their time at Newcastle I think you'll find Oba will be ahead.

Fact is: Owen has barely played for us. Oba is much more a permanent fixure in our side than Owen... you can't replace someone who barely plays.

I mean overall

He's not the player he was though is he?

Similar to Shearer when he came back from his injury, he's still deadly in front of goal but he needs the chances to be put on a plate for him, the long ball football we play is no good to him and if he isn't scoring he's offering nothing.

I mean overall

Just looked it up, its closer than i thought it would be to be honest

Martins  Appearances 48 Goals 20 

Owen Appearances 18 Goals 9

Didn't realise that, actually. It seems like Owen was banging them in almost every appearance and Oba would go 3, 4 matches without even scoring.

Another way of looking at this would be

"Owen's injured - thank God we've got someone as good as Oba who can come into the team!"

In the circumstances he's not the worst deputy is he?

Can't remember a time where we've he had so much quality in the striking set-up.

I'm very happy that we have such a very good striker in Martins...He has a big future ahead of him if he keeps working hard and Allardyce should congratulate him for his attitude and give him more of a chance to improve on last year's performance...Some of you have a short memory and forgot how his 17 goals last year were scored in a shit team managed by not a very competent manager...If given the same chance this season, Martins should be doing even better, not just scoring but also assisting others like he did for Owen and N'Zogbia from 6 games...

We need pacy players and Martins has that and more...There is no debate in my opinion that we should keep him, of course we should as well as Owen...The one we need to replace is Shola and if we can get Ashton or Anelka then that will be perfect (not easy though to keep everyone happy but if you have a lot of comps then you can always rotate players)

This has been a difficult time for Martins. He will have been told by his agents at the Stellar Group that United were prepared to sell him in the close season and that there were no takers.

Someone please, please tell me where I missed this, or is Anal just being a c***?

Don't worry, if Martins hits a purple patch of form soon he'll rekindle the "Wenger Interest" soon enough.

Same applies - re. interest from Arsenal - to N'Zogbia, somebody with a 'poor attitude' according to the Chronicle's resident pisshead and another of our French/African contingent who won't touch Oliver with a bargepole in the form of interviews/exclusives etc, if he continues to rediscover his late-season form from a couple of seasons back.

At the moment I would rather see Martins in the team. Everytime Owen gets a tackled I am always worried that he'll be crocked. Hopefully Oba will come into his own now that Owen is injured. I think Viduka will be an ideal partner for Oba. As long as we can get service to our front two I can see them being a very dangerous pair. When Viduka is playing like he did v West Ham he is almost unplayable.

Hey,

know its a pit out of topic, but couldnt post it anywere else :p (as i cant create posts)

anybody heard of this Kerlon Souza who plays in Cruzeiro, just seen a couple of videos where he uses the seal trick (nod the ball on your head past opponents) where he just goes by everyone :p absolutly a lovely trick... seems like a good athlete and has been very proven in brazil at the age of 19...

last i heard manu arse and midd where out to get him

anyone?

Hey,

know its a pit out of topic, but couldnt post it anywere else :p (as i cant create posts)

anybody heard of this Kerlon Souza who plays in Cruzeiro, just seen a couple of videos where he uses the seal trick (nod the ball on your head past opponents) where he just goes by everyone :p absolutly a lovely trick... seems like a good athlete and has been very proven in brazil at the age of 19...

anyone?

Aye but all you have to do to stop him is stand in his way.  Its not like dribbling on the ground where if you have quick feet you can knock it round them and put them off balance.  Its just that it confused people at first because they didn't expect it.  He is actually a decent all round player though.

Hey,

anyone?

Aye but all you have to do to stop him is stand in his way.  Its not like dribbling on the ground where if you have quick feet you can knock it round them and put them off balance.  Its just that it confused people at first because they didn't expect it.  He is actually a decent all round player though.

yeah, thats cinda the point, looks like a round player with some skill, the seal trick only works for so long until someone challenges his body....

Hey,

anyone?

yeah, thats cinda the point, looks like a round player with some skill, the seal trick only works for so long until someone challenges his body....

Read somewhere his manager wouldn't let him do it anymore, as it was disrespectful to his opponents :lol:

Hey,

anyone?

Read somewhere his manager wouldn't let him do it anymore, as it was disrespectful to his opponents :lol:

isnt that the fun of it?? hilarious :p

if i had one kid who could do that here... man ill had him do that every game, what do you think is going on in the defenders head when he just passes them as a fucking seal :p

btw it was invented by daniel braathen :)

A fit Owen compared to a fit Martins is a total no brainer.

Owen everytime for me. Martins is a scorer of spectacular goals, Owen is a goalscorer.

That is also what Allardyce has said, and he's spot-on.

Guest Harry-Norway

i prefer Oba before Owen,Owen like Emre only preform in international games,start bleeding for your club,the are paying your money :tickedoff:

Guest BigSamsBarmyArmy

I'd rather have Martins here than Owen, Martins is younger (arguably)... He is fitter, faster, less composed but he will improve with age and appearances.. He is likely to be linked with moves away if he is a regular starter and happy here.

Fully agree. Owen is good but so is Oba. In an ideal world they'd play together.