Andy Gray on Newcastle

SUPERTOON

http://www.skysports.com/experts/expert_story/0,19793,12064_2761849,00.html

Sam calls the Toon

It's no great surprise to see Newcastle heading into the weekend sat in fifth - just as it's not a massive shock to see Bolton struggling.

The difference? Sam Allardyce.

It didn't take a genius to work out what was needed at Newcastle and Sam is clearly the right man. He has already made his team tough to play against, just as Bolton were.

Newcastle's defence was always the problem and Sam has tackled that head-on. He has brought in a couple centre-backs in Caludio Cacapa and David Rozehnal and a full-back in Habib Beye and already they are looking better for it.

And the one word to describe a midfield of Nicky Butt, Alan Smith and Geremi is functional. There may not be an abundance of creativity in there, but defensively those three will do a good job.

It's not a criticism of his predecessors, but Newcastle probably needed some discipline. Big Sam is a big man with a big reputation. He doesn't suffer fools gladly and after years of great football going forward but not much else, it it was clearly time to instil some backone.

They always struck me as pretty haphazard in the way they went about their defensive responsibilities and even after six games, the difference is clear. There is still plenty to be done though because in reality, Newcastle should have made an even better start.

I thought their attitude against Derby was all wrong. A newly-promoted side, without a win, Derby where there for the taking, but Newcastle blew it and were deservedly beaten. It might be their best start in six years, but that one game underlined the size of the task in hand.

Balance

It will be interesting to see how they evolve from a playing perspective as well. We all know how Sam liked to do things at Bolton and we all know that Newcastle and their fans are used to open, attacking football. Maybe he will have to strike a balance between the two.

I wouldn't expect that to become clear until midway through the season, but maybe the injury to Michael Owen will give us an insight earlier than expected.

With Michael fit again, Sam was almost forced into playing a 4-4-2. We know he prefers the tight three in the middle of the park and one man up front with the two wider players joining in.

It was a system that brought him success at Bolton down the years and indeed at The Reebok on the opening day of this season.

With Michael out, I just wonder whether he will go back to it with Mark Viduka leading the line and Obafemi Martins and maybe James Milner either side of him.

Whatever happens you have to feel for Owen, you really do. I know exactly what it's like to find yourself in a wretched run of injuries and it must heartbreaking the lad, for Newcastle and of course, for England.

Chance

What people don't realise is that when you come back after such a long lay-off, you tend to try that little bit harder and that's whay it happens. The groin is a classic example of a muscle you can easily pull when you have been out, yet so keen to make a mark that you perhaps over-exert yourself.

As much Owen's absence gives Allardyce the chance to change his system it also gives Martins the chance to show the new manager what he can do. He was unlucky to find himself edged out by Owen's return, particularly after such a good season last year.

There's no doubt Mark Viduka is the first name on the teamsheet though, whatever the system. He is one of the best in the country at what he does and in many ways - for those of you old enough to remember - he reminds of Mark Hughes in his playing days.

He's as strong as an ox, he has fantastic ability and with his back to goal, there are few better.

Horrendous

Whatever system Sam uses, Viduka is the focal point of their attack. He might lack a bit of pace but when he's in and around the box, he can make things happen and bring others into the game very, very well.

His goalscoring record at Middlesbrough stands up to any amount of scrutiny and he showed against West Ham last week, just what a good finisher he is.

Newcastle needed to sort their rearguard out, but tradition and necessity dictates they need a decent centre-forward at the other end and Viduka is just that.

Now all Sam needs to do is keep all his players fit. Newcastle have had an horrendous injury record over the past few seasons and it cannot be down to coincidence.

I remember speaking to Graeme Souness about it a while back and he reckoned it was because the training pitches up there are way too firm - something which seems to be a common problem in the Premier League.

You don't need Sam's medical staff and backroom experts to tell you that pounding the joints and muscles on a rock-hard surface day in, day out, is not what you want to be doing and I am sure if anyone can get to the root of the problem it is Allardyce.

He has tried to play down their start and rightly so. Any improvement on last season's 13th place should be considered a success, never mind bringing the club its first trophy for almost 40 years.

well... i think everything he says makes good sence, good analysis of the newcastle squad!

points quite good out the negatives and positives of the newcastle squad and big sam!

a bit the same as we have said here for a good while, but he puts it in a good roundup of all the treads here!

discuss!  :parky:

"Whatever happens you have to feel for Owen, you really do. I know exactly what it's like to find yourself in a wretched run of injuries and it must heartbreaking the lad, for Newcastle and of course, for England. "

Andy Gray is a c*nt  :rant:

Read the first two lines and was ready to blow a fuse ...... no surprise to see us 5th...my arse.

The rest of it is a very accurate observation /comment.... most unusual for Mr Gray.

the first two lines must have skipped my mind! :(

well.. i dont think its a big surprise as well, it was cinda expected! we have not had the toughest opposition, as we could have had someone in the big 4 at the starting fixture!

and a lot of people here think we should have done a lot better! (and i can def see why!)

dough.. dont think its entirly big sams effort! and i think its a bit of a shock to see bolton so low with nearly the same squad

Guest elbee909

"Whatever happens you have to feel for Owen, you really do. I know exactly what it's like to find yourself in a wretched run of injuries and it must heartbreaking the lad, for Newcastle and of course, for England. "

He's also Scottish.

He's also Scottish.

Is he, I always thought he put that horror of an accent on??  :idiot2:  :frantic:

Guest fatshaft

He's also Scottish.

What's the angry icon for?

He just blatantly threw that thing out there about Butt, Smith, and Geremi in midfield knowing their past histories.  Surely he can't have complemented if he's seen it.  The reality is that there are much more functional defensive-minded midfields that could be put out there.

He's also Scottish.

He's a CUNT!!! Irritates the hell outta me, thats why!! Every second its "HHHHHHHHHHHmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" outta his cakehole, I think he's actually lost the plot lately!

PS: Have you ever noticed that he calls John Terry & Stevie 'f*ckin' Gerrard the SKIPPER, Never heard him call captain Geremi or whoever's Captain of other clubs the Skipper, He's a Grade A C*nt!! My opinion, Id go on all day, thankfully for you lot, I Wont  :thup:

He just blatantly threw that thing out there about Butt, Smith, and Geremi in midfield knowing their past histories.  Surely he can't have complemented if he's seen it.  The reality is that there are much more functional defensive-minded midfields that could be put out there.

Agreed.

He's also Scottish.

He's a CUNT!!! Irritates the hell outta me, thats why!! Every second its "HHHHHHHHHHHmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" outta his cakehole, I think he's actually lost the plot lately!

PS: Have you ever noticed that he calls John Terry & Stevie 'f*ckin' Gerrard the SKIPPER, Never heard him call captain Geremi or whoever's Captain of other clubs the Skipper, He's a Grade A C*nt!! My opinion, Id go on all day, thankfully for you lot, I Wont  :thup:

It's more annoying when he calls them "JT" and "Stevie G" as if he's their best fucking mate.  Brown nosing cunt.

Guest elbee909

He's also Scottish.

Is he, I always thought he put that horror of an accent on??  :idiot2:  :frantic:

Well, you missed the point spectacularly.  He can hardly have a massive pro-England bias as a Scot.  There, hope that's clear enough.

Guest Synthespian

Seconded.

Nice to see the defensive unit being improved.

Overjoyed to see a decent right and left back in the squad after two years of complete horse****.

And good to see him drop Steven Taylor for the game after he "reportedly" turned down his new contract.

That'll have jolted his nose a little bit.

He may deserve more than a minimal raise, but he's got to learn about it all as well. :D

He's also Scottish.

Well, you missed the point spectacularly.  He can hardly have a massive pro-England bias as a Scot.  There, hope that's clear enough.

:clap: Well done mate, you have clearly put me in my place!

Guest elbee909

He's also Scottish.

:clap: Well done mate, you have clearly put me in my place!

No problem, anytime. ;)

Guest fatshaft

He's also Scottish.

He's a c***!!! Irritates the hell outta me, thats why!! Every second its "HHHHHHHHHHHmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" outta his cakehole, I think he's actually lost the plot lately!

It was the "and of course for England" bit that you highlighted that I was questioning. Why is that so annoying? Yu've lost me?

Guest johnson293

http://www.skysports.com/experts/expert_story/0,19793,12064_2761849,00.html

Sam calls the Toon

What people don't realise is that when you come back after such a long lay-off, you tend to try that little bit harder and that's whay it happens. The groin is a classic example of a muscle you can easily pull when you have been out, yet so keen to make a mark that you perhaps over-exert yourself.

OO-Er Missus!!!!