Midfield slot for Emre?

TRon

As much as I think the Smith money could have been used better he is a decent striker, not a great goalscorer but someone who works hard and will worry defenders with his aggressive nature.

He would be Viduka's back up for me but in midfield I just don't think he offers much apart from the fans getting to see that pretty yellow thing the ref seems to carry around with him every game.

This.

Not just as Viduka's back up, though.  Smith and Viduka know each others game from playing together at Leeds, they could be very useful upfront. 

He's totally wasted in midfield.

As much as I think the Smith money could have been used better he is a decent striker, not a great goalscorer but someone who works hard and will worry defenders with his aggressive nature.

He would be Viduka's back up for me but in midfield I just don't think he offers much apart from the fans getting to see that pretty yellow thing the ref seems to carry around with him every game.

This.

Not just as Viduka's back up, though.  Smith and Viduka know each others game from playing together at Leeds, they could be very useful upfront. 

He's totally wasted in midfield.

Would have to be Martins or Owen everytime for me, Smith just doesn't score enough and although Viduka will get his fair share I think his clever play would be wasted a lot of the time with Smith. Martins erratic as he is will (imo) score more of the chances created.

Aye, I'm talking now whilst Owen's out injured.. and if Martins' has one of his anonymous matches, Smith could easily come on and slot up front with Viduka.  Much rather see him than Ameobi.

When we've got Barton, Geremi, Emre and Butt all fit and fighting for a CM spot shirley Smith will have to revert back to being just a forward.

Guest ToonGeneral

If Sam insists on playing a three man midfield then Emre has to be a part of it. I would go with a three of:

Barton      Faye    Emre

With our front six maybe consisting of:

Barton      Faye    Emre

Smith            Viduka        Martins

It seems as if Smith will never dropped.

at home, we should start with

BEYE   CACAPA   ROZEY   ENRIQUE

MILNER  BARTON  EMRE  ZOG

MARTINS   VIDUKA

I'd be much happier with Geremi on the right, and Smith upfront - in preferance over Viduka - alongside Martins.

Barton's best work occurs off the ball going forward, and Emre without having pace akin to Fabregas - ie. who just blows past backtracking midfielders - has the knack of beating a checking/pressing defender by playing the ball laterally past his man with his first touch, and then he generally follows it up with a good feeding ball further forward. He's not in Deco's league, and both similarly don't possess the kind of speed mentioned earlier, but i think he's a similar type of player and his his evasiveness when beating one defender coupled with his passing range would compliment what Barton offers in an attacking sense.   

Milner : still too one-paced for my liking  and i imo uses up too much petrol in the tank on his run prior to releasing his final ball ie. fatigue often plays havok with one's technique, especially under pressure from his opposite number. Whereas C.Ronaldo for all his pace and dribbling ability possesses guile in that he knows when to hold the ball up, when to ride a challenge. Playing the ball past the man all the time results in the attacker getting too close to the bylines and there's not too many guys around who can spear dangerous balls into the box from these positions with consistency. Henry and Ronaldo are a couple, but Milner is far from this exclusive list.

Some might say he's too slow but at least Geremi can ride a challenge, and he doesn't appear to use much fuel when going forward with the ball. In addition Geremi's a far better player technically and his delivery/end product when operating wide, whether it be as a winger for Boro or as a fullback for Chelsea, has looked more threatening in the past.

^why Smith up front rather than Viduka?

A noticeable difference in workrate when either player have operated upfront during their respective careers, or a willingness to operate in either outside channel. Viduka has the technique to hold the ball up and release the ball quickly to his inside running attackers. It's often a thankless job but his willingness to laterally patrol the last defensive line has always been lacking, he's strictly an inside corridor man as opposed to Shearer pre-2002/03, a natural goalbox predator who was still prepared to put in the hard yards for the team.

Martins and Smith can operate in either channel, and as such we'd give the opposing rearguard an everchanging look. *At the moment, whether it's been a 433 or the rarity which is the 442, our frontline is too rigid. There's no versatility, or the ability to change things up on the fly, and as a result we're giving our opposing rearguards' too little variety in the way of defensive match-ups in the final 1/3.......... we're giving them the luxury of slipping into a 'comfort zone' as matches wear one.

So far this season we've damaged teams early in our opening halves, *whereas on most occasions we've done very little after the break and i think this 'lack of versatility upfront' has been a contributing factor.

Guest jimmy1982

I'll be very disappointed if we don't see Emre starting on Saturday. People were saying that the defence was looking solid until Man City, when with Cacapa out and Taylor in, we got done. Thing is though, any back four, no matter how good collectively and individually, is helped out by having a midfield and strikeforce who will keep the ball when we win possesion. Whatever you say about Viduka, he is a class footballer and when you knock it into him, the chances are he won't give it away cheaply. This is what we lack with a midfield of Geremi, Smith and Butt. What we've seen of Emre in his two years has been frustrating to say the least, but I've always liked his style of play and he is all about playing short passes, quick one-twos, creating space in the middle and occasionally taking people on. In the absence of Barton we desperately need someone to put his foot on the ball, keep the ball and at least allow us to try to impose something on the opposition. I thought Viduka and Martins looked dangerous on Saturday, and as has been said before, Milner causes problems more often than not against most teams we play, even if his end product doesn't have the consistency we'd like to see. That front three gives us an enviable mix of skills, styles and goal threats, which is why I don't think we necessarily need the 'creative' midfielder that some people have been crying out for, just somebody to keep the ball moving fluidly and reliably through the midfield, providing a link between our ball winners and our match winners.   

I'll be very disappointed if we don't see Emre starting on Saturday. People were saying that the defence was looking solid until Man City, when with Cacapa out and Taylor in, we got done. Thing is though, any back four, no matter how good collectively and individually, is helped out by having a midfield and strikeforce who will keep the ball when we win possesion. Whatever you say about Viduka, he is a class footballer and when you knock it into him, the chances are he won't give it away cheaply. This is what we lack with a midfield of Geremi, Smith and Butt. What we've seen of Emre in his two years has been frustrating to say the least, but I've always liked his style of play and he is all about playing short passes, quick one-twos, creating space in the middle and occasionally taking people on. In the absence of Barton we desperately need someone to put his foot on the ball, keep the ball and at least allow us to try to impose something on the opposition. we just need somebody to keep the ball moving fluidly and reliably through the midfield, providing a link between our ball winners and our match winners.   

:thup:

Agree totally.

Its vital we don't continue with the centre trio of Butt- Smith - Geremi - with the return to match fitness of Emre, for the reasons above Big Sam must start Emre if we are to see improvements on our lackluster midfield display against Manchester City on Saturday.

I know the partnership of Emre and Butt has been tried under previous managers but I would suggest there our best complementary centre two while Joey Barton is injured and it must be a Centre two and not a three if we are to see N'Zogbia thriving down the Left Wing and Martins higher up the pitch alongside Viduka and not wasted deep and wide of a three.

Emre without having pace akin to Fabregas - ie. who just blows past backtracking midfielders - has the knack of beating a checking/pressing defender by playing the ball laterally past his man with his first touch, and then he generally follows it up with a good feeding ball further forward. He's not in Deco's league, and both similarly don't possess the kind of speed mentioned earlier, but i think he's a similar type of player and his his evasiveness when beating one defender coupled with his passing range would compliment what Barton offers in an attacking sense. 

On reflection, the first instinct is usually the right one, and I never really thought Emre was Sam's type of player, so I doubt very much that he'll start against Everton. If Enrique starts at LB then Zog, Viduka and Martins will probably be the front 3. To start Emre, Allardyce would have to drop two from Smith, Butt, Geremi and Milner, and I just can't see him doing that away to Everton. It's not in his nature.

SAM Allardyce believes that the "unique" talents of Turkish playmaker Emre can bring something different to the Newcastle United midfield as the former Inter Milan ace nears a return to full match fitness.

The 27-year-old came through 90 minutes of Reserve team action on Tuesday night, showing his quality with a man-of-the-match display and a sublime first-half free-kick which helped Lee Clark's side to a 2-2 draw.

And Big Sam is adamant that, despite rumours suggesting otherwise, the 47-times capped star will not be leaving Tyneside in January, the United boss instead insisting that Emre could play a key role for the Magpies this season.

"In many ways, Emre is unique for us at the moment because of his passing ability and the way he can unlock the back door in teams," said the 52-year-old manager.

"We will need a player who can do that at times. He has a fantastic eye for a pass and he is also left-footed, which is something different again.

"He is not the same type of player as the other midfielders and he can definitely bring something extra when he is full fit.

"It's just a case of getting him fit and keeping him fit."

Emre told Newcastle World TV last week that he was determined to fight for his place in the United side and was quick to rubbish newspaper reports suggesting he had tried to engineer a move back to Turkey.

And Allardyce too has spoken of his desire to keep the former Galatasaray youngster at St.James' Park.

"I've not got a large enough squad to be thinking about losing any players and I do not want to sell Emre," added the former Bolton boss.

"The squad is just about big enough this season, but I will not be looking to lose anyone.

"Emre's problems have been injuries. He had an injury at the start of the season, went away on international duty and came back with another little problem which has taken longer than we expected to clear up.

"He's just getting back involved, but he will be going away on international duty again next week.

"I just hope, this time, he doesn't come back injured again. We want to have him fit and available because he adds something different to the squad when he is fit."

SAM Allardyce believes that the "unique" talents of Turkish playmaker Emre can bring something different to the Newcastle United midfield as the former Inter Milan ace nears a return to full match fitness.

The 27-year-old came through 90 minutes of Reserve team action on Tuesday night, showing his quality with a man-of-the-match display and a sublime first-half free-kick which helped Lee Clark's side to a 2-2 draw.

And Big Sam is adamant that, despite rumours suggesting otherwise, the 47-times capped star will not be leaving Tyneside in January, the United boss instead insisting that Emre could play a key role for the Magpies this season.

"In many ways, Emre is unique for us at the moment because of his passing ability and the way he can unlock the back door in teams," said the 52-year-old manager.

"We will need a player who can do that at times. He has a fantastic eye for a pass and he is also left-footed, which is something different again.

"He is not the same type of player as the other midfielders and he can definitely bring something extra when he is full fit.

Emre told Newcastle World TV last week that he was determined to fight for his place in the United side and was quick to rubbish newspaper reports suggesting he had tried to engineer a move back to Turkey.

And Allardyce too has spoken of his desire to keep the former Galatasaray youngster at St.James' Park.

"I've not got a large enough squad to be thinking about losing any players and I do not want to sell Emre," added the former Bolton boss.

"The squad is just about big enough this season, but I will not be looking to lose anyone.

"Emre's problems have been injuries. He had an injury at the start of the season, went away on international duty and came back with another little problem which has taken longer than we expected to clear up.

"He's just getting back involved, but he will be going away on international duty again next week.

"I just hope, this time, he doesn't come back injured again. We want to have him fit and available because he adds something different to the squad when he is fit."

Sounds promising, hopefully BS can see what we think and start Emre v Everton. As long as BS gives him a license to go forward and doesn't instruct him to stay back.

Good to hear. Like Emre or not, there has to be a place for him against Everton (assuming he's fit to play). This is a massive game with the international break coming up, we can't afford to mess about. We will need to get the ball down and start playing some one-touch passing football because we haven't been doing that much at all lately.

Guest Synthespian

I think Emre should have already proved himself as the wonderful player he is!  :shifty:

I've actually been disappointed with his performances (as a whole) and think he still should be doing a lot better.

However, I agree with the analysis and that he should have a place found for him.

Good to hear Allardyce himself saying it, although from the sound of it Emre isn't going to be starting just yet. I think after Saturday, Sam will be more cautious than ever and will be more concerned about getting the defence right.

Justifying my team v Everton

GK Given - He's the best around, Harper's bloody good too though so either or.

RB Beye - The best RB we have looks pretty good too so far, we've been crying out for a decent RB like this for ages especially considering Car!

CB Taylor - He WILL get better! Cacapa is injured anyway and we need the defence to start gelling so no Faye just yet imo

CB Roze - Good on the deck and gets forward well seems to be weak when challenging for headers though.

LB Enrique - The best LB we have and looks very very promising/exciting imo

RB Milner - The best RW we have, think he's great myself and don't understand his critics at all.

DM Geremi - seems to be the better one better than Butt and smith, covers lots of ground and passes better.

AM Emre - We are crying out for more creativity and he could be just the man to provide it. (fingers crossed)

LW Zoggy - Our player of the season, we need to let him play to his strengths much more i.e. attacking the opposition down the flank/cutting inside.

CF Martins - Hard working, quick as you like, can score goals from nothing and a real livewire/handfull for any opposition.

CF Smith - Clever player, a real grafter, much more mobile than Viduka, will hold the ball up well and bring others into play well. Woulden't be gutted if we did start with Viduka or at all surprised i'd just like to see Smith in his preffered role, as i think Viduka will not get any change out of Lesscot at all just like he he hasn't with most decent defences barring West ham this season.

Harper - Unlucky not to start

Faye - Like the look of him could be good, but we need some stability at the moment, bring him on at some point.

Butt - goodish but not great

Viduka - He'll probably start but i'd preffer to see smith.

Owen?? - Could he be fit enough?

In response to Toptoon's post...

As much as i'm eager to see Smith enforced in his natural role, anything other than a Viduka/Martins partnership against (in a 4-4-2 formation, might i add) would be madness. As for Smith, he really needs to be on the bench against Everton, now that we can field Milner and N'Zogbia on the wings. If i see Smith's name squeezed into the teamsheet on Sunday, i'll be bloody annoyed.

As for Emre, i'd 100% have him in the team, alongside Geremi, if he were fully fit. Crucial that we drop Butt and Smith. Pointless having them in the team at home at the moment, and particularly in this game. With Geremi and Emre (Geremi and Barton when he comes back), we'd finally be able to have a centre-midfield that operated specific roles, rather than it being two defensive mids alternating throughout the game (defense to attack, and visa versa).

In response to Toptoon's post...

As much as i'm eager to see Smith enforced in his natural role, anything other than a Viduka/Martins partnership against (in a 4-4-2 formation, might i add) would be madness. As for Smith, he really needs to be on the bench against Everton, now that we can field Milner and N'Zogbia on the wings. If i see Smith's name squeezed into the teamsheet on Sunday, i'll be bloody annoyed.

As for Emre, i'd 100% have him in the team, alongside Geremi, if he were fully fit. Crucial that we drop Butt and Smith. Pointless having them in the team at home at the moment, and particularly in this game. With Geremi and Emre (Geremi and Barton when he comes back), we'd finally be able to have a centre-midfield that operated specific roles, rather than it being two defensive mids alternating throughout the game (defense to attack, and visa versa).

Agree with most of what you say. There's no way that i'd start Smith on the wing either, possibly midfield but i think we have better options. I may be wrong but i just don't rate Viduka all that highly and i'll be surprised if he has another good game for us come the weekend. Viduka was outstanding against W/ham as they stood off him and let him play, I don't think Everton will do that, they'll be tight on him as most teams have been and he'll  imo contribute next to nothing again. i.e. in every game this season barring W/ham and the ONE addmittedly top class goal V boro. I'd like to see Smith given a go. Perhaps start with Viduka and if its clear its going to be another one of those days bring Smith on or vise versa.

I think viduka is pure class.  That little back heel he did on mancity would have resulted in a goal if butt'd gone for it.  Genius

Ameobi does bloody loads of them too!  :lol: That one for Shearer when he broke the record was class if it was ronaldinho .........

Viduka just doesn't do enough for me, in saying he may prove me wrong this weekend, i just have my doubts over him.

toptoon still obviously on smack.

Love how Smith will get something out of Lescott because he's "a clever player who can hold the ball up well and bring others into play well" but Viduka won't, despite being a hundred times better at those things than Alan Smith. By the way, just so we're clear, last time Viduka played against Lescott, he scored the winner.

A couple of weeks ago, Shola was more creative and more profilic than Viduka, now it's Alan Smith too? Tip for you - don't say anything and you won't embarrass yourself.