Midfield slot for Emre?

TRon

toptoon still obviously on smack.

Love how Smith will get something out of Lescott because he's "a clever player who can hold the ball up well and bring others into play well" but Viduka won't, despite being a hundred times better at those things than Alan Smith. By the way, just so we're clear, last time Viduka played against Lescott, he scored the winner.

A couple of weeks ago, Shola was more creative and more profilic than Viduka, now it's Alan Smith too? Tip for you - don't say anything and you won't embarrass yourself.

Stop being a moody cretin and lying/making things up/over exagerating things again wullie i haven't ever said that Ameobi is more prolific (and certainly not profilic whatever that is) havei ?  Please point out to me where i have ever said he's more prolific (or profilic) ?    :idiot2:

+ last time Viduka played aginst Lescott it was 0-0 dec 26th 2006 so i don't quite know how you figured he scored, quite a feat considering the score line.  :laugh2:

I'm not a boo boy or unessesarily having a go at Viduka, as i hope he is amazing for us come sunday has another West ham type stormer, gets another couple of goals and rams my words back down my neck, i'd be delighted. I just find him very unmobile at times and if he's not getting any Joy against the very impresive Lescott i hope Sam at least tries Smith in his best position.

Wullie accept that people may sometimes have a different point of view to you, you don't need to be such a cnut about it.  :razz:

Tip for you - Don't open your mouth that way what can't speak can't lie.  O0

Love how Smith will get something out of Lescott because he's "a clever player who can hold the ball up well and bring others into play well" but Viduka won't, despite being a hundred times better at those things than Alan Smith. By the way, just so we're clear, last time Viduka played against Lescott, he scored the winner.

A couple of weeks ago, Shola was more creative and more profilic than Viduka, now it's Alan Smith too? Tip for you - don't say anything and you won't embarrass yourself.

Stop being a moody cretin and lying/making things up/over exagerating things again wullie i haven't ever said that Ameobi is more prolific (and certainly not profilic whatever that is) havei ?  Please point out to me where i have ever said he's more prolific (or profilic) ?    :idiot2:

+ last time Viduka played aginst Lescott it was 0-0 dec 26th 2006 so i don't quite know how you figured he scored, quite a feat considering the score line.  :laugh2:

I'm not a boo boy or unessesarily having a go at Viduka, as i hope he is amazing for us come sunday has another West ham type stormer, gets another couple of goals and rams my words back down my neck, i'd be delighted. I just find him very unmobile at times and if he's not getting any Joy against the very impresive Lescott i hope Sam at least tries Smith in his best position.

Wullie accept that people may sometimes have a different point of view to you, you don't need to be such a cnut about it.  :razz:

:clap:

Viduka is a better but very different player to Smith. Both are better than Ameobi. Think Willie was talking about Oct 2006 when Viduka did score against an Everton side with Lescott in it. To be fair you have rated some complete planks in your time.

Guest Alex20

Given

Cacapa            Rozi

Beye                                          Enrique

Barton

Geremi                                          Nzogbia

Emre

Viduka        Martins

You said that Shola would have created and scored more than Viduka in the opening few fixtures.

Well done, you spotted a typo, have a banana. You've made about a half a dozen in that section I've quoted above. I won't point them out though.

I don't think Viduka has been all that good so far, but his performances have steadily got better (perhaps a fitness issue?). He has blown hot and cold, when he's on form like against West Ham or at times against City his hold up play is very clever and he showed against Boro he can carve a goal out of nothing, if you give him service in the box he will usually make things happen.

He is ridiculously slow though and sometimes entire games can just pass him by. I've read one or two people saying he could have a couple more years left in him but personally I think that's extremely optimistic. We'll be lucky to get this season and next out of him as a reliable first-team player. I don't want to tempt fate but with age his fitness issues will become a greater concern.

Guest jimmy1982

I don't think Viduka has been all that good so far, but his performances have steadily got better (perhaps a fitness issue?). He has blown hot and cold, when he's on form like against West Ham or at times against City his hold up play is very clever and he showed against Boro he can carve a goal out of nothing, if you give him service in the box he will usually make things happen.

He is ridiculously slow though and sometimes entire games can just pass him by. I've read one or two people saying he could have a couple more years left in him but personally I think that's extremely optimistic. We'll be lucky to get this season and next out of him as a reliable first-team player. I don't want to tempt fate but with age his fitness issues will become a greater concern.

yep, i think he was bought more or less for this season. whether or not Big Sam plans to move towards a more expansive style of football over the coming seasons is anybody's guess, but from what we've seen so far he's definitely going for a safety first approach by making his midfield as hard to get through as possible. this is absolutely fair enough given the amount of rebuilding that needs doing, and to me he's planned to build our attacking strategy on just getting the ball into Viduka's feet as quickly as possible and getting him to use his skill and awareness to create opportunities for himself and likes of Milner, Oba, Owen and eventually Zogs and Duff. there is no doubt that when he's on form there aren't many strikers in the league (even in europe) who are much better with the ball played into their feet, and Sam seems to always back himself to get the best out of inconsistent but talented players. beyond this season, when Sam would hope to be getting consistent performances from the majority of the side and a more fluid style of football as players got used to their roles (with hopefully less frequent injuries) i think we'd see a more mobile front man replacing Viduka - maybe this is what Smith was bought for after all. 

Guest jimmy1982

Bought for free.

Yes, if he can play most matches this year he'll have been a tremendous signing, as he's shwon already he's still dangerous.

Guest Synthespian

Given

Cacapa            Rozi

Barton

Emre

Viduka        Martins

You'd put Barton WHERE?

You said that Shola would have created and scored more than Viduka in the opening few fixtures.

Well done, you spotted a typo, have a banana. You've made about a half a dozen in that section I've quoted above. I won't point them out though.

:lol:

Given

Cacapa             Rozi

Beye                                           Enrique

Barton

Geremi                                           Nzogbia

Emre

Viduka        Martins

Barton playing defensive midfield? Have you ever seen him play mate? He's the attacking force we're missing in midfield at the moment. It's almost like trying to play Gerrard or Lampard in that role.

Oddly enough, Viduka is totally unsuited to playing Sam's 4-3-3 formation as he doesn't have the pace or high-jumping heading ability to make that work. Viduka has great feet and is a super finisher which makes him a decent 4-4-2 option with pace on both wings and alongside a quick front man. At least we have started altering our play accordingly from the big hoof up the pitch in recognition this isn't going to work with these players.

The next step is to get the midfield to fit the system, whatever that is. Looks like a work in progress.

Guest AceDeuce

Given

Cacapa            Rozi

Barton

Emre

Viduka        Martins

looks like a big red anus

Given

Beye or Taylor    Faye or Rozenhal    Cacapa    Enrique

Geremi or Rozenhal

Martins or Milner    Barton or Smith      Emre      N'Zogbia

Owen or Martins

Back four and holding player remain the same, while the front five can shuffle around during the game.

Barton/Smith can cover the right side, should Martins venture forth.

N'Zogbia can switch places with Emre.

Given

Beye or Taylor    Faye or Rozenhal    Cacapa    Enrique

Geremi or Rozenhal

Martins or Milner    Barton or Smith      Emre      N'Zogbia

Owen or Martins

Back four and holding player remain the same, while the front five can shuffle around during the game.

Barton/Smith can cover the right side, should Martins venture forth.

N'Zogbia can switch places with Emre.

sounds good. i think owen could play the lone striker role, especially if he has good support from the midfield with emre and barton, and wide players who are prepared to come inside. he looks to have beefed up a bit, and is using the ball a lot more intelligently and accurately than he did a couple of years back. a few years ago he was pretty poor when it came to building up an attack and often his side would lose the ball if it went to him, but i can see him doing a job akin to saha or bent for us, though with a bit more sense and a bit less pace.

What I liked best about Emre's role on Sunday was that as soon as he got the ball he had time to measure his options. In what's often been a helter-skelter midifeld he brought a touch of poise and skill. Even if he isn't the final answer, it's definitely something we need in our team.

What I liked best about Emre's role on Sunday was that as soon as he got the ball he had time to measure his options. In what's often been a helter-skelter midifeld he brought a touch of poise and skill. Even if he isn't the final answer, it's definitely something we need in our team.

And there weren't many at times.

Oddly enough, Viduka is totally unsuited to playing Sam's 4-3-3 formation as he doesn't have the pace or high-jumping heading ability to make that work. Viduka has great feet and is a super finisher which makes him a decent 4-4-2 option with pace on both wings and alongside a quick front man. At least we have started altering our play accordingly from the big hoof up the pitch in recognition this isn't going to work with these players.

The next step is to get the midfield to fit the system, whatever that is. Looks like a work in progress.

usually 433 is about getting the ball out to the wings, to wip in a cross for the main striker and the other wing or to play slick balls when the wingers are going inwards... this is a type of playing style viduka would be really good at! so saying he is totally unsuited is just stupid!  unless he is so slow that he cant run from midfield to goal line at all!

the other way is usually to make the odd long ball for the midt striker to head on! however we dont have quick feets at wingers (exept martins, but we know how that works) however, sam guiding for the CB has not been good enough as the CB is still "hoofing" the balls up. so it is what you said, alter the style of play that suits our players, and the first style of play i think would suit both viduka and owen, and the other way with martins (still incredible his jumping skills)