Champions League/Waffa Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday

Fugazi

Today confirms that Newcastle are the 5th best English team in Europe.

They may as well give us an automatic place in the competition every season.

Or we could just hire a manager who knows what the word "tactic" means. We'd do okay then.

Moyes got out of jail big time tonight.

Or we could just hire a manager who knows what the word "tactic" means. We'd do okay then.

Anichebe & Lescott did.  Can't understand why you signed Yakubu at all

Guest jamesmartinsmith

£11.5 million wasn't it?

Me neither, said so at the time.

Lazy, fat, shocking first touch and requires service on a plate to score goals and the whole team to be built around him. That just won't happen at Everton.

That's before we even consider the price tag! Awful signing.

Me neither, said so at the time.

Lazy, fat, shocking first touch and requires service on a plate to score goals and the whole team to be built around him. That just won't happen at Everton.

That's before we even consider the price tag! Awful signing.

Every club has one or two.  The secret is not to piss away the majority of your summer budget on them, as we've done in the past

Moyes is an idiot period. How do you pay £11.5 million for Yakubu and then give up on him so quickly! He's already benching him all the time. It's Beattie all over again. Once he did the deal he had to stick with him and get his confidence up till he ran into some form.

Yakubu is not the perfect striker but at the end of the day he has the ability to score 20 goals a season. What the hell is Moyes thinking? If all he wanted was players who graft and give 100% all game he should have had nothing to do with Yakubu as he just isn't that type of striker.

Awful management. If you think Yakubu is poor wait till you see how he plays when he gets into a sulk! You better hope Harry is still interested in January. Funny thing is I bet Yakubu would be flying right now if he had gone to Portsmouth instead. Harry just knows how to handle these tye of players and get the most out of them. Moyes is so limited.

Moyes is an idiot period. How do you pay £11.5 million for Yakubu and then give up on him so quickly! He's already benching him all the time. It's Beattie all over again. Once he did the deal he had to stick with him and get his confidence up till he ran into some form.

Yakubu is not the perfect striker but at the end of the day he has the ability to score 20 goals a season. What the hell is Moyes thinking? If all he wanted was players who graft and give 100% all game he should have had nothing to do with Yakubu as he just isn't that type of striker.

Awful management. If you think Yakubu is poor wait till you see how he plays when he gets into a sulk! You better hope Harry is still interested in January. Funny thing is I bet Yakubu would be flying right now if he had gone to Portsmouth instead. Harry just knows how to handle these tye of players and get the most out of them. Moyes is so limited.

Swap with Nugent.  Everybody's happy!

Swap with Nugent.  Everybody's happy!

Excellent point! Moyes did want Nugent didn't he. Although he too has looked awful. The differnce in prices for the two would be a problem too.

You have to wonder why Moyes was unwilling to pay £5 million for Nugent but happy to spend £11.5 million on Yakubu?!

He's absolutely nuts.

Erm, cos Yakubu is twice the player Nugent is?

People have to be careful with Everton. They've got more than enough quality to jump up and bite the likes of ours and City's arses.

Problem is though he clearly isn't Moyes' cup of tea as Moyes is showing. He clearly would have preferred Nugent who will run around frantically like a headless chicken without doing anything worthwhile. 100% graft and all that jazz ...

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Yakubu is a proven Premiership goalscorer. In 157 games he has scored 61 goals, that's a Premiership strike rate of 1 goal per 2.5 games. He's 25 in November and has scored 14 goals in 32 games at International level.

Statistically he is one of the best strikers in the league and I can't see why everyone is being so hasty to put him down. £11 million is not a lot these days, Alan Smith cost £5 million less! I think that in time, he and Johnson will form a formidable partnership, but he obviously needs time to settle.

Some football supporters are so impatient.

Yakubu is a proven Premiership goalscorer. In 157 games he has scored 61 goals, that's a Premiership strike rate of 1 goal per 2.5 games. He's 25 in November and has scored 14 goals in 32 games at International level.

Statistically he is one of the best strikers in the league and I can't see why everyone is being so hasty to put him down. £11 million is not a lot these days, Alan Smith cost £5 million less! I think that in time, he and Johnson will form a formidable partnership, but he obviously needs time to settle.

he is a good goalscorer but he doesn't exactly offer much different to Johnson and needs others to deliver and create for him. also when johnson is out Yakubu looks as unsuited for the lone striker, or up with someone as erratic and lightweight as Mcfadden, as Owen would in the same situation.

How many of those goals were penalties? I'd guess, a sizeable amount. And are you counting his season in the Championship with Portsmouth in that appearance/goals ratio?

Yakubu is so unsuited to our team for so many reasons it's ridiculous. I said from the first day we were linked him that I didn't want him here because he would be a failure, another Beattie. Everything we've seen so far suggests I was completely right, he's actually been worse than I predicted  he would be.

I'll eat my hat if he's a success at Everton.

johnnypd- Yakubu and Johnson couldn't be more different. Confused by your comments there.

How many of those goals were penalties? I'd guess, a sizeable amount. And are you counting his season in the Championship with Portsmouth in that appearance/goals ratio?

Yakubu is so unsuited to our team for so many reasons it's ridiculous. I said from the first day we were linked him that I didn't want him here because he would be a failure, another Beattie. Everything we've seen so far suggests I was completely right, he's actually been worse than I predicted  he would be.

I'll eat my hat if he's a success at Everton.

johnnypd- Yakubu and Johnson couldn't be more different. Confused by your comments there.

i don't mean that they are the same player, but they're both number 9s, is what i meant, rather than one being a goalscorer or the other a creative number 10, so yakubu doesn't offer much different from johnson, things that johnson can't do to things that would complement johnson's style of play, to justify such a high fee for his transfer. a bit like owen and martins, totally different players but both occupy similar roles in the team so it is usually either/or.