Milner wants call-up

Dokko

James Milner has underlined his ambition to play for England.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_2783537,00.html

The Newcastle winger is the most capped player at Under-21 level, but he feels he is ready to make the step-up to the senior squad.

"I want to play for England," said Milner.

"I have a lot of experience at Under-21 level and in the Premier League, and I suppose that's the next progression for me to make.

"It's not on my mind too much, because you'll only get into the England squad by playing good football for Newcastle.

"You have to do it week in, week out, and also take your chances with the Under-21s when they come your way. But it's something that I definitely want to do in the future."

Time

Milner realises he has plenty of time to make the step-up, despite the fact he has been playing first-team football since 2001.

"I'm very lucky to have got a chance at the age I did," Milner added.

"Terry Venables wasn't scared to put me in when I was at Leeds and I managed to take my chances.

"A lot of 21-year-olds will probably have 30 or 40 games under their belt - I've got more than 200. I'm lucky in that way, and having that much experience at this stage of my career can only stand me in good stead in the future. Hopefully, it'll help me push on."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should please a few on here.  :lol:

In all seriousness though its a very honest article, he isn't claiming he SHOULD be called up and has just said its obviously the next step and something he wants to do.

Will probably get taken out of context though.

Anyone who's a regular in a premier league side and has played that many times for the U21s will want to play for his country. He isn't saying: "I should have been picked already," he's just saying that it's a goal of his. I'd be worried if it weren't.

The problem Milner has is that the players in front of him at the moment are around the same age, Young and Downing down the left and Lennon and Bentley down the right, that's without including the likes of Joe Cole, SWP and Beckham. He'll have to improve alot if he's going to be considered for the squad on a regular basis.

he was really good last season, and yet everyone seems on his back. hes a 442 player yes, but lets hope he can get back to what he was last season, except better. he was one of our best (ok fair enough not much of a task) last season and everyone was raving about him! i think hes really good, but just out of form.

Guest Synthespian

I think he's a long way behind SWP and others for the RM slot.

And he's almost got no chance on the left with Barry, J.Cole, Bridge & Downing.

He's got to hope he can force his way into the squad, but that's as far as he will get.

Dyer mk2. :p

Guest andynufc84

Milner is just lacking in certain areas, pace for one.

Bentley is much the better player, more finesse and better with ball at feet imo. Still I like Milner and obviously he's good enough at this level but i'm unsure if he'll ever be a regular in the England squad.

James Milner has underlined his ambition to play for England.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_2783537,00.html

The Newcastle winger is the most capped player at Under-21 level, but he feels he is ready to make the step-up to the senior squad.

"I want to play for England," said Milner.

"I have a lot of experience at Under-21 level and in the Premier League, and I suppose that's the next progression for me to make.

"It's not on my mind too much, because you'll only get into the England squad by playing good football for Newcastle.

"You have to do it week in, week out, and also take your chances with the Under-21s when they come your way. But it's something that I definitely want to do in the future."

Time

Milner realises he has plenty of time to make the step-up, despite the fact he has been playing first-team football since 2001.

"I'm very lucky to have got a chance at the age I did," Milner added.

"Terry Venables wasn't scared to put me in when I was at Leeds and I managed to take my chances.

"A lot of 21-year-olds will probably have 30 or 40 games under their belt - I've got more than 200. I'm lucky in that way, and having that much experience at this stage of my career can only stand me in good stead in the future. Hopefully, it'll help me push on."

+ playing in the Euros in the summer.

... just for anyone who denies that him being fucked, isn't a contributor to his sub-par performances.

It wouldn't be a massive step up into the England team, it's not like there are loads of outstanding candidates. A bit like the goalkeeping situation where Harper could probably do a better shift than the current #1 and #2.

As far as the EPL goes though, he isn't quick enough to get behind defences, and if that's lacking you need Beckham-standard crossing ability, which he hasn't got. Something else Milner is lacking for a forward player is goals. He doesn't score any.

I'm sick of our England hopefuls, at least according to their own estimation, like Milner/Ameobi and formerly Dyer talking up a big-game.

They should prove their worth out on the pitch at club-level first and foremost, rather than blabber about their England ambitions in the press.

TBH, if he was good enough for the England squad he would have been called up by now (being our most capped U21 player ever).

I just dont think he is going to get a chance under Mr Constipated because of the likes of Young & Downing.

IMO, he has got to be worth a go against Estonia, to see how he fares at that level.

It can only do NUFC a favour in the long term. :)

I'm sick of our England hopefuls, at least according to their own estimation, like Milner/Ameobi and formerly Dyer talking up a big-game.

They should prove their worth out on the pitch at club-level first and foremost, rather than blabber about their England ambitions in the press.

Thing is though, Milner has been more impressive than Taylor for me (who got a call up to train with the squad).

Any experience at that level will only benefit us in the long run, IMO.

Puting Milner in the same bracket as Ameobi and Dyer from an attitude perspective like that is plain stupid.. 

Guest BigSamsBarmyArmy

Can't understand Bentley is in and not Milner

Bentley is a better player tbf.

Bentley's behaviour in the summer means he should never play for England again.

Can't understand Bentley is in and not Milner

Bentley is a better player tbf.

Bentley's behaviour in the summer means he should never play for England again.

Just cutting your nose off to spite your face there. He was excluded from the following senior squad iirc which was about right. Bentley btw is one of about four English players ahead of Milner for the RW spot.