SPL on the way up?

Cheshire Mag

Anybody would get good crowds if they won trophies non stop for a hundred years.

I  thought that about the G14 clubs when they orginally formed & there was talk of a European Super League  5 years in the bottom half of the so called ESL would of killed a load of clubs.

If Rangers or Celtic were in the Premiership they would be up there with at least with us, Villa, Spurs etc, this would be  after going through a period of adapting.

I think the "period of adapting" is an interesting one.  I can see it from both sides.

Often, people form opinions of how the OF would do in the Premiership based on their current squad.  If they had guaranteed Premiership revenue and exposure then i'm pretty sure their squads would be considerably stronger than they currently are.

But, on the other hand, would they get crowds of 60,000 if they weren't virtually guaranteed a victory every week?  History would suggest not.

Valid points. Also they would not be guaranteed or as good as Champion League football.

I don think they should be allowed in the Premier league, if they were then should start at the farthest point of the pyramid system. Also think it is ironic some Celtic fans don't class Scotland as the own country, they vote SNP, yet want they want the team they support to be in the EPL, talk about confused!!!!

That's what i've always said.  Celtic have an identity crisis.  They're a Scottish club who think they're an Irish club but want to be an English club.

none of them would make it in England. lets make a British League Cup

I actually think that would be a good idea , instead of the Carling Cup.

Would help the Scottish game come along leaps and bounds and give something the U.K could be proud of for a change instead of our overrated bunch of pansys!!!! :p

Guest Coubury

The standard in the Scottish league is shite anyone wonder why rangers got beat today maybe because they went to France midweek and pulled off an amazing win! anyone not think that maybe the players are tired etc

If Rangers or Celtic were in the Premiership they would be up there with at least with us, Villa, Spurs etc, this would be  after going through a period of adapting.

I think the "period of adapting" is an interesting one.  I can see it from both sides.

Often, people form opinions of how the OF would do in the Premiership based on their current squad.  If they had guaranteed Premiership revenue and exposure then i'm pretty sure their squads would be considerably stronger than they currently are.

But, on the other hand, would they get crowds of 60,000 if they weren't virtually guaranteed a victory every week?  History would suggest not.

Valid points. Also they would not be guaranteed or as good as Champion League football.

I don think they should be allowed in the Premier league, if they were then should start at the farthest point of the pyramid system. Also think it is ironic some Celtic fans don't class Scotland as the own country, they vote SNP, yet want they want the team they support to be in the EPL, talk about confused!!!!

Just an interesting thought, that since it is now officially the BPL (barclays premier league), the association with being English is slowly being cut off. I'm sure that wasn't the intent by Barclays, they just wanted to be more prominent most likely, but as the Premier League slowly begins to be less and less "English", it paves the way for the Scottish teams to merge in some fashion eventually.

It seems like every time I turn on the SPL it puts on a good show, and there's generally a good atmosphere.  To be honest, watching non-Premiership football really doesn't do it for me, but I generally like to watch the SPL over La Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A, etc.

Guest toonlass

It seems like every time I turn on the SPL it puts on a good show, and there's generally a good atmosphere.  To be honest, watching non-Premiership football really doesn't do it for me, but I generally like to watch the SPL over La Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A, etc.

Totally agree. The atmosphere at the scottish clubs blows away just about every premiership club, and certainly puts our ground to shame. By the way, if anyone finds the atmosphere that used to be at Newcastle can they return it to Mr C Mort, Newcastle United FC, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 4ST. The toon Ultras are at least trying to look for it, but can't get past the big pile of prawn sandwiches that seem to have appeared over the last few years.

Totally agree. The atmosphere at the scottish clubs blows away just about every premiership club, and certainly puts our ground to shame.

I have been & watched Celtic play at home & there wast that much atmosphere. There may be for big games but it was pretty flat when we were there.

Totally agree. The atmosphere at the scottish clubs blows away just about every premiership club, and certainly puts our ground to shame. By the way, if anyone finds the atmosphere that used to be at Newcastle can they return it to Mr C Mort, Newcastle United FC, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 4ST. The toon Ultras are at least trying   to look for it, but can't get past the big pile of prawn sandwiches that seem to have appeared over the last few years.

Here we go again.....

And paraphrasing Roy Keane won't win much support either

Guest toonlass

So you don't agree that the ultras are not at least trying to get some atmosphere back in the ground? And only if you are so narrow minded that you cannot see past the mackem connection and realise that it is the truth to your second comment.

So you don't agree that the ultras are not at least trying to get some atmosphere back in the ground? And only if you are so narrow minded that you cannot see past the mackem connection and realise that it is the truth to your second comment.

Really?  In the last few years, there have been far far fewer corporate fans, people can't even get rid of their corporate tickets, hence the empty seats in that part of the ground.  Thats the truth.

Just an interesting thought, that since it is now officially the BPL (barclays premier league), the association with being English is slowly being cut off. I'm sure that wasn't the intent by Barclays, they just wanted to be more prominent most likely, but as the Premier League slowly begins to be less and less "English", it paves the way for the Scottish teams to merge in some fashion eventually.

Eh? It wasn't changed to Barclays Premier League (it's never known as BPL) from English Premier League or anything. It was sponsored by Carling, beforehand.

Guest toonlass

Really?  In the last few years, there have been far far fewer corporate fans, people can't even get rid of their corporate tickets, hence the empty seats in that part of the ground.  Thats the truth.

We still have a shite atmosphere though. That needs to change.

I have a few questions on atmosphere: When did it go missing? What years do you think the noise was at its best at SJP? Why was the noise good then?

The only way the so called lack of atmosphere will improve is if we see goals scored for our team, skillful players, attacking football, crunching tackles & the odd injustice always help raise the noise. Choir sections, standing area's is all bollocks really & is a ideology.

The "prawn sarnie" crew how big is the pile at SJP? I am looking past the mackem connection & if you can see past the soundbite & give facts it would help me have a better understanding of your view point.

Totally agree. The atmosphere at the scottish clubs blows away just about every premiership club, and certainly puts our ground to shame. By the way, if anyone finds the atmosphere that used to be at Newcastle can they return it to Mr C Mort, Newcastle United FC, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 4ST. The toon Ultras are at least trying to look for it, but can't get past the big pile of prawn sandwiches that seem to have appeared over the last few years.

Assuming you're right and the atmosphere is better (which I find hard to believe outside of derby matches since there's about 6/7/8 shitty empty grounds that make Ewood Park look like a packed out Nou Camp)...

don't you think that the atmosphere at Scottish clubs would suffer if they had the exposure, glamour and money, as well as all the corporate fans that come with it, that our league has gathered over the past 10 years?

Guest BigSamsBarmyArmy

Scotland isnt as attractive, it may sound stupid but cities like London played a huge part in the English Premier League having as much quality as it does. Foreign players will want to move to London clubs for the city lifestyle etc. I cant see someone having the same attraction for Glasgow :lol:

London or Gretna. Hmmm

I don't think the atmosphere at SPL ground is anything special.  There's a decent atmosphere at Tannadice whenever we play Dundee (when they're in our league and their fans aren't boycotting our ground), Aberdeen, Rangers and Celtic.  Apart from that it's usually quite flat.

There was a rule a few years ago that all SPL clubs had to have a minimum of a 10,000 capacity all seated stadium.  Most of the clubs in the SPL only have a hard-core fanbase of about half their stadium capacity so most games are played in half-empty grounds

I have a few questions on atmosphere: When did it go missing? What years do you think the noise was at its best at SJP? Why was the noise good then?

The only way the so called lack of atmosphere will improve is if we see goals scored for our team, skillful players, attacking football, crunching tackles & the odd injustice always help raise the noise. Choir sections, standing area's is all bollocks really & is a ideology.

The "prawn sarnie" crew how big is the pile at SJP? I am looking past the mackem connection & if you can see past the soundbite & give facts it would help me have a better understanding of your view point.

do you not think the fans should be singing and supporting the team from the 1st whistle to the last without these things to encourage them?

this is the deeper reason for their delusions of grandeur. The simple fact is that if they played down here they would just be 2 more clubs with potential big support and could just as easily be floundering like sheff Wed and Leeds as playing in europe regularly. In fact, in recent times, this would no doubt have been the case, when the mighty Green machine finished 4th in their crappy league under the managership of Liam Brady etc and lost at home to Inverness Cally when they were a 3rd division team or something, in front of a sub 20,000 crowd. In fact, for the benefit of a lad I used to know quite well, I produced some attendance figures which showed they have numerous crowds below 20,000 during these years. 2 or 3 seasons without a trophy and they all buggered off.

Anybody would get good crowds if they won trophies non stop for a hundred years, even against pub teams.

They have no divine right to start anywhere else other than the conference - or lower - if the sad day ever arrives when they join us down here.

Anyway, they hate the English, so why do they want to ?

Very true. Celtic and Rangers are about status. If they enter, say, the Premier League, their status disappears overnight. They become just another two clubs, struggling for any kind of silverware. 5, 10, 20 or 40 years without a single trophy, suddenly they don't offer anything like the same appeal.

With the revenue they'd receive I'm sure either could hold their own in the Premier League, but they would instantly lose their huge status which they currently enjoy in their own league and which a lot of their support depends on.

Also, a huge number of Irish fans who support Celtic also support an English side.

do you not think the fans should be singing and supporting the team from the 1st whistle to the last without these things to encourage them?

They probably should but I think it's unrealistic to expect that to happen.  Every team has a few fans who will sing regardless of results/form/excitement but most other fans won't.  If it was as simple as everybody just singing from start to finish then there would be a brilliant atmosphere at every football ground in the world but unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

I think it's important to remember that top flight football is an entertainment industry and not all people go to the game to be fanatical.

Sorry for going off topic btw.

They probably should but I think it's unrealistic to expect that to happen.  Every team has a few fans who will sing regardless of results/form/excitement but most other fans won't.  If it was as simple as everybody just singing from start to finish then there would be a brilliant atmosphere at every football ground in the world but unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

I think it's important to remember that top flight football is an entertainment industry and not all people go to the game to be fanatical.

i see what you mean. its the main reason i prefer to goto away games than home games now. ibrox is only ever loud on champions league nights and old firm days

i see what you mean. its the main reason i prefer to goto away games than home games now. ibrox is only ever loud on champions league nights and old firm days

You'll find that with about every club in the country.  The people who go to the away games tend to be most committed and fanatical.

Why should Celtic/Rangers, or any other team for that matter be allowed to play in another country for being successful and having big crowds?

Both leagues would become false if they came to England. Any team that won the SPL couldn't say they were the best in Scotland. They'd only be the best of what's left.

While the old firm aren't wanted by some in Scotland, i hope they're never allowed to play down here.