SPL on the way up?

Cheshire Mag

Seeing as though Hibs been Rangers at Ibrox today, it looks like that league is on the way up, with the top 2 looking like it is expanding to the big 4 with afew shock results happening.

Thoughts please.

Rangers are shite

Hibs are crap, 3rd division pub team.

Hibs have a lot of good young players and play some nice passing football

I don't think they do much in our league though and I expect them to finish 3rd or 4th come the end of the season

Scotland isnt as attractive, it may sound stupid but cities like London played a huge part in the English Premier League having as much quality as it does. Foreign players will want to move to London clubs for the city lifestyle etc. I cant see someone having the same attraction for Glasgow :lol:

Guest toonlass

Neither Rangers or Celtic are any competition for a premiership team. And this is coming from someone who has followed(followed) Rangers for years. Hibs and Hearts(and possibly Aberdeen-who love their sheep) are always close at the start of the season before the Old Firm leap into a massive lead and the league is wrapped up(well at least for first and second place). If Celtic and Rangers were to leave the SPL and come to England then the whole Scottish Football system would vitually collapse into amateur status. They take massive amounts of paying fans to away games, certainly many more than Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen and bankroll these clubs for another year.

I think if Rangers and Celtic were to leave the SPL(and maybe Celtic can play in the Irish League seeing that they love the place so much and Rangers can start in the conference here) if the Scottish teams managed to survive it would allow a much more competitive league for about 3 seasons before Hibs and Hearts became the big fish in a small pond.

Just look down the Rangers and Celtic teams and see the sort of players that play for them. It makes both their achievements in Europe all the more impressive. But they really are filled with a lot of very ordinary players.

Celtic beat Man U last year in the CL, in the last 7 years have also knocked Blackburtn and Liverpool out of Europe, their only ties against English sides.

Last season they took the eventual winners to extra time in the CL last 16. Milan subsequently veating Man U 5-3 on aggregate, and Liverpool 2-1 in the final. Since 2000 they have knocked Barcelona out of the Uefa cup, they have also beaten Juve in the CL.

Probably too good to play in England. Their prize omney for winning the SPL last year was £2m, two million. Watford will have got ~£20m for finishing bottom of the Premiership. If Celtic had access to the TV money available in England they would be out of sight.

Mebbe  :rolleyes:

none of them would make it in England. lets make a British League Cup

I actually think that would be a brilliant idea.

I think that would be as bad an idea as there possibly could be.  When, at the 10th attempt, they eventually managed to beat Arsenal's Under-11s in the final the clamour for them moving down here would be even worse.

They are shit and should stay where they are.

I think that would be as bad an idea as there possibly could be.  When, at the 10th attempt, they eventually managed to beat Arsenal's Under-11s in the final the clamour for them moving down here would be even worse.

I dont think that any of them should join our league, but I think that a British cup would be a good idea. Each country still has their FA Cups, it could just replace the League cup.

They are s*** and should stay where they are.

I dont think that any of them should join our league, but I think that a British cup would be a good idea. Each country still has their FA Cups, it could just replace the League cup.

the top sides are short of games at the moment so it could well catch on as a good idea

What I'm saying is if they ever won it, which is quite likely given

1) the way they throw themselves around like Braveheart wannabes against English clubs

2) the contempt with which a lot of clubs in England treat the competition

we'd never hear the fucking end of it

it is. The League Cup is shit. They should replace it with the British League Cup, It would generate alot of revenue and interest

Celtic beat Man U last year in the CL, in the last 7 years have also knocked Blackburtn and Liverpool out of Europe, their only ties against English sides.

Last season they took the eventual winners to extra time in the CL last 16. Milan subsequently veating Man U 5-3 on aggregate, and Liverpool 2-1 in the final. Since 2000 they have knocked Barcelona out of the Uefa cup, they have also beaten Juve in the CL.

Probably too good to play in England. Their prize omney for winning the SPL last year was £2m, two million. Watford will have got ~£20m for finishing bottom of the Premiership. If Celtic had access to the TV money available in England they would be out of sight.

Mebbe  :rolleyes:

Watford have got to three domestic cup semi finals in the last 4 years. Now, we're nowhere near the top 4 in the country.

Scotland isnt as attractive, it may sound stupid but cities like London played a huge part in the English Premier League having as much quality as it does. Foreign players will want to move to London clubs for the city lifestyle etc. I cant see someone having the same attraction for Glasgow :lol:

I can for Edinburgh though, though i suppose the teams aren't good enough

I'm sure Pompey fans would relish a Wednesday night away trip to Inverness

I'm sure they have to put up with worse in many other countries

I guess it's the age old argument of whether Scotland needs a strong Old Firm or a competitive league.  Clubs like Aberdeen and my beloved Dundee United proved during the 1980s that they could cut it with the very best in Europe.  At the same time, we simply don't have the resources anymore (particularly post-Bosman) to compete with th Old Firm.  Hibs are a decent side but they won't have the squad to compete with the OF over the course of a season.  If it looks like they're in with a shout come Christmas then just watch the west coast media link every single one of their players with a move to Glasgow.

If you asked me right now i'd say that Scottish football is currently punching above it's weight (and long may it continue btw).  We've had a number of fantabulous results in fairly quick succession but I think we can build on the optimism that has come from these results.

On the anglo-scottish cup thing - great idea in theory, bad idea in practice.  There are too many fans on both sides who can't handle their drink and too many of my fellow countrymen who unfortunately have a pathological hatred of all things English.  UEFA wouldn't like the outcome.

Neither Rangers or Celtic are any competition for a premiership team. And this is coming from someone who has followed(followed) Rangers for years. Hibs and Hearts(and possibly Aberdeen-who love their sheep) are always close at the start of the season before the Old Firm leap into a massive lead and the league is wrapped up(well at least for first and second place). If Celtic and Rangers were to leave the SPL and come to England then the whole Scottish Football system would vitually collapse into amateur status. They take massive amounts of paying fans to away games, certainly many more than Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen and bankroll these clubs for another year.

I think if Rangers and Celtic were to leave the SPL (and maybe Celtic can play in the Irish League seeing that they love the place so much and Rangers can start in the conference here) if the Scottish teams managed to survive it would allow a much more competitive league for about 3 seasons before Hibs and Hearts became the big fish in a small pond.

:lol: :lol:

Just look down the Rangers and Celtic teams and see the sort of players that play for them. It makes both their achievements in Europe all the more impressive. But they really are filled with a lot of very ordinary players.

Amady Faye  mackems.gif

If Rangers or Celtic were in the Premiership they would be up there with at least with us, Villa, Spurs etc, this would be  after going through a period of adapting.

I think the "period of adapting" is an interesting one.  I can see it from both sides.

Often, people form opinions of how the OF would do in the Premiership based on their current squad.  If they had guaranteed Premiership revenue and exposure then i'm pretty sure their squads would be considerably stronger than they currently are.

But, on the other hand, would they get crowds of 60,000 if they weren't virtually guaranteed a victory every week?  History would suggest not.

If Rangers or Celtic were in the Premiership they would be up there with at least with us, Villa, Spurs etc, this would be  after going through a period of adapting.

I think the "period of adapting" is an interesting one.  I can see it from both sides.

Often, people form opinions of how the OF would do in the Premiership based on their current squad.  If they had guaranteed Premiership revenue and exposure then i'm pretty sure their squads would be considerably stronger than they currently are.

But, on the other hand, would they get crowds of 60,000 if they weren't virtually guaranteed a victory every week?  History would suggest not.

this is the deeper reason for their delusions of grandeur. The simple fact is that if they played down here they would just be 2 more clubs with potential big support and could just as easily be floundering like sheff Wed and Leeds as playing in europe regularly. In fact, in recent times, this would no doubt have been the case, when the mighty Green machine finished 4th in their crappy league under the managership of Liam Brady etc and lost at home to Inverness Cally when they were a 3rd division team or something, in front of a sub 20,000 crowd. In fact, for the benefit of a lad I used to know quite well, I produced some attendance figures which showed they have numerous crowds below 20,000 during these years. 2 or 3 seasons without a trophy and they all buggered off.

Anybody would get good crowds if they won trophies non stop for a hundred years, even against pub teams.

They have no divine right to start anywhere else other than the conference - or lower - if the sad day ever arrives when they join us down here.

Anyway, they hate the English, so why do they want to ?

Valid points. Also they would not be guaranteed or as good as Champion League football.

I don think they should be allowed in the Premier league, if they were then should start at the farthest point of the pyramid system. Also think it is ironic some Celtic fans don't class Scotland as the own country, they vote SNP, yet want they want the team they support to be in the EPL, talk about confused!!!!