Alan Smith

Dave

We were linked with Smith for a fair while too.

My opinion then was as it is now - if you buy him as an out and out striker, he's a bad move, but if you want instant versatility added to the squad, then he's a good buy.

6m is not a lot of money to buy that versatility.

Absolutely. It will be interesting to see how he reacts to being on the bench, when he returns.

My opinion then was as it is now - if you buy him as an out and out striker, he's a bad move, but if you want instant versatility added to the squad, then he's a good buy.

I would prefer it if Sam viewed him as just a striker. Doesn't add much in midfield apart from a regular yellow card.

I would prefer it if Sam viewed him as just a striker. Doesn't add much in midfield apart from a regular yellow card.

He'll add something later on in the season when injuries start to bite and you need people who can fit in wherever and do a job of some kind.

He'll add something later on in the season when injuries start to bite and you need people who can fit in wherever and do a job of some kind.

Better than Pattison I suppose but then so would a lot of people for £6m.

Just don't rate Smith in midfield, he is like Parker with more chance of getting booked but less chance of scoring. Thats in the centre aswell let alone on the wing!

I see the old Smith tide is beginning to turn on here.

Don't put too much stock in that.  Tides turn after every match around here.

Hmm but hopefully by the end of the season, whether people are relatively satisfied or dissappointed about our final position, they will be optimistic and happy with the progress we will make into next season under Big Sam.

If Smtih had half the ability in a versatile role some on here suggest he'd have been linking up midfield and attack when playing as part of a 3 man midfield, he doesn't though because he's not intelligent enough as a footballer.

Average player and not good enough for our first 11, to suggest he's versatile is bollocks too because he's an awful midfielder and wide man.

If Smtih had half the ability in a versatile role some on here suggest he'd have been linking up midfield and attack when playing as part of a 3 man midfield, he doesn't though because he's not intelligent enough as a footballer.

Average player and not good enough for our first 11, to suggest he's versatile is bollocks too because he's an awful midfielder and wide man.

He's not ever gonna be the player to link up midfield and attack IMO, but I reckon he'd do a passable job if we had Barton in the team and Smith was one of the more deep lying CM's, particularly in away games where you're setting up with defense in mind a bit more.

I'm leaving for the evening nowso you'll have to forgive me for not responding to any reply you make to this. :lol:

He's not ever gonna be the player to link up midfield and attack IMO, but I reckon he'd do a passable job if we had Barton in the team and Smith was one of the more deep lying CM's, particularly in away games where you're setting up with defense in mind a bit more.

I'm leaving for the evening nowso you'll have to forgive me for not responding to any reply you make to this. :lol:

I'd expect more than a passable job from a player we've spent £6 million on and the shit he's dished up there so far this season in midfield isn't anyway near that, his midfield performances have been on par with Amdy Faye's here, and that's not an exaggeration either.

He had a decent game on Sunday, nothing more than that, I presume people are rating his performance against how he's been playing in midfield for us because as a replacement for Viduka he put in a performance nowhere near what the F.A.B put in in our last home game.

And therefore not worth 6 M quid,which was my point exactly.We could have spent that money on a far more worthwhile ends.

Guest BigSamsBarmyArmy

I have always liked Alan Smith even when at Dirty Leeds or the Red shite. He has the right attitude to football. He isn't a midfielder though.

I have always liked Alan Smith even when at Dirty Leeds or the Red shite. He has the right attitude to football. He isn't a midfielder though.

blueyes.gif

...and let's face it Viduka and Owen will on a season long inj merry-go-round and Smith will get games as a forward.

I think in some ways, due to his far greater mobility, Alan Smith offers more than Viduka as a partner for Owen / Martins. Viduka will get you more goals though, obviously.

Guest Knightrider

Smith is a good squad player who will do a reasonable job for the club, especially up front which is without doubt his best position and where he needs to be used if he is to be used more often than not. He won't score you 20 goals but he'll get a few and help others to get on the scoresheet. He's similar to Bellamy but without the pace or directness of the Welshman. He'll harass, press and bully, play for the team and get kicked for the team, while holding the ball up, competing in the air and linking up with team-mates intelligently because as a forward he's a thoughtful striker.

Regarding his individual performances I think people may need to look beyond those and see him more as a team player and what he brings to the team in other ways. I thought he had a goodish game at the weekend but nothing outstanding. His presence up top helped the team no end though and benefited others and that's perhaps going to be more important than single individual performances from Smith himself.

We often forget all about the dressing room and off the pitch too, but what happens behind closed doors and the spirit and character of the players off the pitch will often determine what happens on it and in Smith we have a top professional with a great character and attitude to rub off on others. In short he's not a bad player to have around the place on and off the pitch.

£6m was a lot of money and there is no doubt we could have bought a much better player for that price but that's perhaps a too simplistic way of looking at things, i.e. good player = improved team. Doesn't always work like that.

When Sam took over the dressing room was at war with itself, unhappy players right left and centre and he needed to chip away at that to improve it, if bringing in players like Smith even at such a fee goes someway to eradicating such problems then for me it is money well spent.

His versatility has already came in handy and will continue to do so throughout the season and remainder of his time here and on that note, in time we will strengthen further positions and players like Smith will not be first-team players as he has been thus far. He'll be a squad player and good one at that.

Smith is a good squad player who will do a reasonable job for the club, especially up front which is without doubt his best position and where he needs to be used if he is to be used more often than not. He won't score you 20 goals but he'll get a few and help others to get on the scoresheet. He's similar to Bellamy but without the pace or directness of the Welshman. He'll harass, press and bully, play for the team and get kicked for the team, while holding the ball up, competing in the air and linking up with team-mates intelligently because as a forward he's a thoughtful striker.

Regarding his individual performances I think people may need to look beyond those and see him more as a team player and what he brings to the team in other ways. I thought he had a goodish game at the weekend but nothing outstanding. His presence up top helped the team no end though and benefited others and that's perhaps going to be more important than single individual performances from Smith himself.

We often forget all about the dressing room and off the pitch too, but what happens behind closed doors and the spirit and character of the players off the pitch will often determine what happens on it and in Smith we have a top professional with a great character and attitude to rub off on others. In short he's not a bad player to have around the place on and off the pitch.

£6m was a lot of money and there is no doubt we could have bought a much better player for that price but that's perhaps a too simplistic way of looking at things, i.e. good player = improved team. Doesn't always work like that.

When Sam took over the dressing room was at war with itself, unhappy players right left and centre and he needed to chip away at that to improve it, if bringing in players like Smith even at such a fee goes someway to eradicating such problems then for me it is money well spent.

His versatility has already came in handy and will continue to do so throughout the season and remainder of his time here and on that note, in time we will strengthen further positions and players like Smith will not be first-team players as he has been thus far. He'll be a squad player and good one at that.

...and the closer we get to the point where internationals are only squad players for us the better.

Guest Knightrider

Exactly. Smith on the bench along with equally experienced Premiership and international players would represent a strong reserve for us which we've lacked for over a decade now. Indeed the squad is already shaping up like that. The focus now should be on buying players directly for the first-team.

I share your sentiment. It's a far too simplistic to say " smiths average and not worth 6m", there is so much more to it, as you have pointed out.

I share your sentiment. It's a far too simplistic to say " smiths average and not worth 6m", there is so much more to it, as you have pointed out.

I always maintained this board would come to its senses reg Smith as the season went on.

I always maintained this board would come to its senses reg Smith as the season went on.

That's because the majority of this board are like sheep who change their opinions more often than they change their pants, Smith is an average player and isn't worth £6 million and by trying to excuse that by saying he's a good lad in the dressing room when none of us know that is looking for excuses, people should try going to games and seeing how bad he's been for us.

If anything people are excepting him because he's here now so they may as well get used to it.

I hope this isn't refering to me. I've always thought Smiths a good squad player.

So have I, shall I dig out the quotes from when we signed him? ;)

That's because the majority of this board are like sheep who change their opinions more often than they change their pants, Smith is an average player and isn't worth £6 million and by trying to excuse that by saying he's a good lad in the dressing room when none of us know that is looking for excuses, people should try going to games and seeing how bad he's been for us.

If anything people are excepting him because he's here now so they may as well get used to it.

Its because for some of us, the £6million fee is in the past, and performances on the pitch are what sticks in the mind more than anything. Thats certainly the case for me - when we were first in for Smith, I was livid that we were spending that much on him, but thats changed now.

The £6million fee itself was obviously excessive for Smith, when you consider someone like Elano cost the same, or a proven international and CL goalscorer like Eduardo only a million or two more. Hes not got anywhere near the talent or ability of players like that, and hasnt got the potential to be a better player than he is today - but everyone knows that the asking price for domestic/English players is almost always higher than their foreign equivalents, its something Wenger bemoans whenever hes asked about his transfer policies.

Allardyce wasnt in the position to gamble at the start of his Newcastle reign, and hence Smith is about as small a gamble as he could have realistically landed - a competent midfielder and forward with high work rate, not injury prone, an established domestic player with no issues surrounding culture shocks, settling, etc.

At the moment, im pleased that we have someone like Smith playing for us as opposed to having to field someone like Pattison or Ameobi, or alternatively a flop from abroad ala Andreas Andersson or Guiv'arch. For £6million, we could have done better certainly, but we could easily have done alot worse too - noone knows how many points we might secure due to avoiding signings like Luque, crocks like Cort, or having to field Pattison/Ameobi/etc.