Faye knocked back Sven

Skirge

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2007/10/09/abdoulaye-happy-he-snubbed-sven-61634-19917723/

Abdoulaye happy he snubbed Sven

Oct 9 2007 by Paul Gilder, The Journal

Abdoulaye Faye

ABDOULAYE Faye has described Newcastle as his ‘perfect’ club after revealing he turned down a lucrative offer from Sven-Göran Eriksson this summer in order to be reunited with Sam Allardyce.

Manchester City’s manager was keen to add the imposing Senegal international to his squad at Eastlands, but once Faye discovered that the man who introduced him to Premier League football wanted to bring him to St James’s Park, his mind was made up.

Although Eriksson’s team have made an impressive start to the season – moving to third place in the top-flight table with their sixth win in nine league fixtures at the weekend – the former Bolton favourite remains certain that he made the correct career move.

And having admitted that he also rejected offers from Everton and Wigan Athletic, a player who turned down a four-year contract to remain at the Reebok Stadium has no regrets about his decision to move to the North-East.

“I had offers from other clubs, it wasn’t just Newcastle,” said a player who started his first Premier League fixture in a black-and-white shirt in Sunday’s dramatic 3-2 win over Everton. “Manchester City, Everton and Wigan all wanted me to join them, but I told them all, ‘No, I would prefer to go to Newcastle and work with Sam again’. I felt that joining Newcastle would be the perfect move for me because this is such a big club – it’s so different to Bolton. I’m pleased it all worked out. Newcastle is such a great club and things couldn’t have gone better.”

With relations between Bolton and Newcastle strained following Allardyce’s appointment, Faye’s £2m move to St James’s Park was not straight forward and a protracted deal was not completed until minutes before the August 31 transfer deadline. Given the politics, it would have been easier for the former Lens stopper to have moved elsewhere.

Yet having set his heart on joining forces with the coach who signed him from Istres in 2005, he hung on and waited for his dream move to materialise.

“It was a difficult time for me – I started the season at Bolton and the people there didn’t want me to leave,” he explained last night. “The people at Bolton tried to keep me. Bolton offered me a four-year contract, but I said no. It was hard for me. I just had to wait, wait, wait while all the people there were telling me not to leave. But I continued to tell them no and I’m glad that I did that.

“Knowing Sam from Bolton made it a bit easier and I was glad to have the chance to come here and work with him again. When I worked with him at Bolton he picked me for all the games and gave me great confidence. When he came to Newcastle and then said he wanted me to join him, there was no decision to make. I love working with him and I couldn’t wait to get here.”

Having completed his move to St James’s Park, Faye has had to exercise patience. His chance came when he made his first Premier League start for United against Everton and, having been picked in preference to David Rozehnal and Steven Taylor at the weekend, a player confident he can form a productive partnership with Claudio Caçapa is determined to keep his place. “I enjoyed playing with Claudio and I think we can develop a good partnership,” said Faye. “He’s an intelligent player, a good player and I think we worked well together. I was pleased with the performance that I gave against Everton, but the result was the most important thing.

“It was important to win and I was delighted with the result. It’s great to be here at Newcastle – playing to 52,000 crowds is a brilliant thing and I can’t wait to get out there again at St James’s Park.”

Faye will do whatever it takes to hold down a regular Premier League place and, although he is expected to be involved at next year’s African Cup of Nations in Ghana, the versatile defender has suggested he will put Newcastle’s needs before Senegal’s.

“I’m trying to make it here, I’ve just played for the first time so I think it might be best to stick around in Newcastle (when Senegal next contest an international fixture),” he added. “Perhaps it would be better for me not to go (next time).”

“I had offers from other clubs, it wasn’t just Newcastle,” said a player who started his first Premier League fixture in a black-and-white shirt in Sunday’s dramatic 3-2 win over Everton. “Manchester City, Everton and Wigan all wanted me to join them, but I told them all, ‘No, I would prefer to go to Newcastle and occasionally get a kick.'

:hmm:

I had offers from other clubs, it wasnt just Newcastle, said a player who started his first Premier League fixture in a black-and-white shirt in Sundays dramatic 3-2 win over Everton. Manchester City, Everton and Wigan all wanted me to join them, but I told them all, No, I would prefer to go to Newcastle and put in a stunning performance on my home debut and deservedly pick up MOTM.'

Top Bloke.

“I had offers from other clubs, it wasn’t just Newcastle,” said a player who started his first Premier League fixture in a black-and-white shirt in Sunday’s dramatic 3-2 win over Everton. “Manchester City, Everton and Wigan all wanted me to join them, but I told them all, ‘No, I would prefer to go to Newcastle and put in a stunning performance on my home debut and deservedly pick up MOTM.'

Top Bloke.

Ya well. He's a good player. But I refuse to let "I'm glad I didn't sign for City" quotes go without a sly dig.  :angel:

He's the type of big commanding centre-half we've been crying out for for years imo. Cacapa, him, Rozenhal and Taylor  are the best four central defenders we've had in a long time.

Guest teepee

He's the type of big commanding centre-half we've been crying out for for years imo. Cacapa, him, Rozenhal and Taylor  are the best four central defenders we've had in a long time.

i agree - there are better defenders out there, but we haven't had a better group for a long long time.

Guest onetallpoppy

i just love how we have built for depth. no more threadbare squads full of academy players for cup/european games in the next few years. long term planning like this makes me not worry so much about this season tbh

to think that last season taylor was our only good defender, and now he doesnt even start, and that some people are even calling him crap says a lot about us now!

SOME people have been saying it for ages.... still agree with your point though.

Just hope they can work together as a unit, our defensive play thus far hasnt been fantastic, maybes we can blame the midfield?

Guest onetallpoppy

to think that last season taylor was our only good defender, and now he doesnt even start, and that some people are even calling him crap says a lot about us now!

SOME people have been saying it for ages.... still agree with your point though.

Just hope they can work together as a unit, our defensive play thus far hasnt been fantastic, maybes we can blame the midfield?

maybe we can blame they have had fuck all time together and this is the league that puts defenders under the most pressure in the world.

maybe we can blame they have had fuck all time together and this is the league that puts defenders under the most pressure in the world.

Well you COULD do that but I can't see the usual kneejerk angle that the forum thrives on....

Guest BigSamsBarmyArmy

Delighted we have a player that wants to play for us properly and not in it for the money like many others we have had.