Premierships over-rated players

Guest kingdawson

Guest kingdawson

Following on from the hugely successful and quite brilliant  under-rated thread im now going to list a group of players that are over-rated (bear in mind this list is not in order altough number 1 definatly is)

1) This spot is reserved for the epitome of the word over-rated Jamie Carragher. Quite possibly the most overrated player in the world (altough it seems its only the English media that actually rate him). Put him against a player with pace and he will undoubtbly crumble. Gifted Keane 2 goals last week with a shocking performance and is always praised for his last ditch tackles when its usually his fault the opposition are in that position in the first place. Anyone remember his first half performance against Milan which was quite possibly the worst performance i have ever seen by a centre back (the idiot tried to play offside on the bloody half way line :rolleyes:) yet after reading the reviews he got from the tabloids, you would have though he gave a performance that matched Franco Baresi. His bravery and commitment is something to applaud but World class? mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

2) Theo Walcott

Not going to have a go at him as he's still young but £12 million for a striker that is yet to score in the league and has only shown glimpses of what he is capable of in the carling cup is beyond a joke. His pace is electrifying but he dosent seem to have an awful lot more and its still a mystery what his prefered position actually is. Still time to improve though.

3) Frank Lampard

What would such a list be without the king of deflections. Good player but dosent really offer much when England is concerned altough he's definatly a vital part of the Chelsea team. Again, good player but world class? mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

4) Andrew Johnson

What striker on this earth can get away with not scoring in six months despite being a regular?. If that was Heskey the stupid media would have a field day. I suppose he works hard but SIX MONTHS (think its actually more tbh). I see Moyes has a new figure to put the blame on when it isnt going well (yakubu) but at least the guy does his job which is to score goals.

5) John obi mikel

To this day i still dont understand what type of midfielder this guy is meant to be. Dosent really score much yet dosent really defend much either. A nothing midfielder if there ever was one.

6) John Carew

I bet my mate he wont score more then 7 premiership goals this season. His hold up play is good but he offers nothing else. Definatly an asset to Villa though as they have a load of pacey players who love to play off him but in most other teams he would be absolutly s****.

7) Anton Ferdinand

Only made it as a proffesional footballer because of his brother. s**** player nuff said.

8) Alan smith

Still scratching my head  on how this guy actually made it as a footballer. Works hard i suppose :rolleyes:

9) Robbie Keane

Good player who ive loved over the years at the Lane and would be extemely gutted if he left BUT he should not be a first team regular at Spurs. Only seems to score spur of the momment goals where he dosent have to think about it. Bent and Berbs is the prefered partnership.

10) Ryan Babel

Early days but i fully expect him to flop at Pool. Didnt see nothing special before they signed him and im still waiting. Suppose i could have chosen someone else tbh but cant think of anyone.

Add on................

Paul Robinson

Michael Dawson

Jermaine Jenas

Darren Bent

Aaron Lennon

Tom Huddlestone

Should all be on that list.

Walcott is young, his price was huge, but most of it wasn't paid upfront and is for future milestones. Babel i've not seen enough of, and think he could be deadly in the future, the rest are spot on though, maybe a bit harsh on Carragher, but still vastly over rated, especially by himself.

Hmm I agree with Obi Mikel, Don't rate him really.. But Smith is a good striker, poor mid-fielder! Ferdinand is a young and up-comign centre half who has impressed in recent seasons. Lampard has been suspect and yeah he is overrated.. Babel - Well it's far to early to say yet...

Guest kingdawson

Paul Robinson

Michael Dawson

Jermaine Jenas

Darren Bent

Aaron Lennon

Tom Huddlestone

Walcott is young, his price was huge, but most of it wasn't paid upfront and is for future milestones. Babel i've not seen enough of, and think he could be deadly in the future, the rest are spot on though, maybe a bit harsh on Carragher, but still vastly over rated, especially by himself.

Huddlestone and Lennon should be on that list yet you let Walcott off because of his age?? Tbh the only one that could possibly be on that list is Dawson as Robbo is shite so cant really be over-rated.

Agreed 100% on your Carragher comment though. He actually thinks he's something special.

Paul Robinson

Michael Dawson

Jermaine Jenas

Darren Bent

Aaron Lennon

Tom Huddlestone

Good one!

Walcott?

Nonsense. At Southampton he was played through the middle as a striker and he looked outstanding. He played on the shoulder of the last defender and his movement was very good, he also showed he was a good finisher.

At Arsenal he has been played out wide and has therefore had to improve his dribbling, which was not a strength of his. However, you can already see him improving in this area and he will be a better all round player for it. The kid is what 17 yrs old? I can't see him failing under Wenger. No way.

Paul Robinson

Michael Dawson

Jermaine Jenas

Darren Bent

Aaron Lennon

Tom Huddlestone

Huddlestone and Lennon should be on that list yet you let Walcott off because of his age?? Tbh the only one that could possibly be on that list is Dawson as Robbo is shite so cant really be over-rated.

Agreed 100% on your Carragher comment though. He actually thinks he's something special.

Kaka's just explained it perfectly for me, so i wont bother. Take away your obvious biased towards the lad Walcott (and why i listed all those Spurs players O0 ) and a slightly harsh criticism of 'The Bottler' i think the list can't really be argued with.

Guest kingdawson

Fa

Paul Robinson

Michael Dawson

Jermaine Jenas

Darren Bent

Aaron Lennon

Tom Huddlestone

Huddlestone and Lennon should be on that list yet you let Walcott off because of his age?? Tbh the only one that could possibly be on that list is Dawson as Robbo is s**** so cant really be over-rated.

Kaka's just explained it perfectly for me, so i wont bother. Take away your obvious biased towards the lad Walcott (and why i listed all those Spurs players O0 ) and a slightly harsh criticism of 'The Bottler' i think the list can't really be argued with.

Fair enough :thup:

Guest johnnyappleseed

How can you mention Walcott's performance (or lack there of since he doesn't have a ton of appearances) along with his price, when the 12m figure is contingent on him being successful. At this point he's a 7m flop if you want to call him that (I wouldn't), not a 12m one.

What Wenger is doing to him reminds of when Tiger changed his swing that first time and he went backwards in order to go forwards. Walcott just used pace to run by people with Southampton. Now he's learning to manipulate and pass the ball (he's a good crosser, but Arsenal aren't big on that and care more about accurate passes on the ground) in tight spaces. He can be a good finisher (see going up against a full strength Chelsea team in Carling Cup Finals). His shot against Sunderland where he hit the post and the assist to Van Persie were the result of him being a better dribbler.

Paul Robinson

Michael Dawson

Jermaine Jenas

Darren Bent

Aaron Lennon

Tom Huddlestone

Huddlestone and Lennon should be on that list yet you let Walcott off because of his age?? Tbh the only one that could possibly be on that list is Dawson as Robbo is s**** so cant really be over-rated.

Dude seriously ... Jenas might be the poster boy for the term overrated. You talk about Obi mikel being a nothing player? Then what the hell is Jenas?

Lennon is not overrated to me and Huddlestone could be something in a 4-3-3. They are both still young enough to emerge. Jenas however is utterly useless.

Guest kingdawson

Paul Robinson

Michael Dawson

Jermaine Jenas

Darren Bent

Aaron Lennon

Tom Huddlestone

Dude seriously ... Jenas might be the poster boy for the term overrated. You talk about Obi mikel being a nothing player? Then what the hell is Jenas?

Lennon is not overrated to me and Huddlestone could be something in a 4-3-3. They are both still young enough to emerge. Jenas however is utterly useless.

hmmmmm a player that has managed 15 goals in a bit over 60 appearance which roughly equates to a goal every 4 games which goes to show he isnt a 'nothing midfielder' as he actually has goals to his game (something obi Mikel dosent have. Zokora on the other hand can be described as a nothing midfelder although i rate him :thup:

Paul Robinson

Michael Dawson

Jermaine Jenas

Darren Bent

Aaron Lennon

Tom Huddlestone

hmmmmm a player that has managed 15 goals in a bit over 60 appearance which roughly equates to a goal every 4 games which goes to sho he isnt a 'nothing midfielder' as he actually has goals to his game (something obi Mikel dosent have. Zokora on the other hand can be described as a nothing midfelder although i rate him :thup:

Look at how many goals Lampard gets you. JJ doesn't do much apart form get the odd goal, you could say an athletic cheap mans version of Lampard.

Wayne Rooney.

Is right.

I've always felt Ryan Giggs was overrated too. Not that he's a bad player but he's done nowt special this century - certainly not in big games anyway.

I'll try not to go overboard on rags but its safe to say I could name several more.

Aaron Lennon is another one. Don't see what the fuss is about - he doesn't seem to have much in his locker apart from pace and he seems to have a habit of completely disappearing away from home.

Phil Neville? I honestly think he is awful. He seems to carved a little niche out away from the glare of the public eye where people don't think he's shite - they're wrong! Not up to much in any of his alleged positions for me.

Woodgate. Another one living on reputation.

Agbonlahor - Got a long way to go before he's half as good as some people think. Another all pace not enough end product type like Lennon. Plenty of time to improve but I expected more.

Terry - Nowhere near as good as is made out. Helps that he never gets called for his mistakes (eg standing and watching Tevez completely free in the 6 yard box) for some reason. Consistently underwhelming for England.

Token Newcastle suggestion - Taylor. Really nothing special and I find it baffling to hear stories about interest from Liverpool and more worryingly City while his contract is up in the air. Must have a good agent.

And from City - Schmeichel? I'm not sure how many people rate him but he got way more praise than he deserved earlier on this season, he was ropey as owt.

So who is everyone's number 1 over rated?

Mine would of been Lampard, but it seems every fuker thinks he's s**** now, even dropped from the 1st team for England.

As a premiership player I don't think Lampard is overrated, deflections or not he contributes to a very high percentage of Chelsea goals, whether by assist or final touch.

On the international stage however he seems to have been found out somewhat.

If you go on media perception, then Yakubu is pretty high up on the overrated list

2) Theo Walcott

Not going to have a go at him as he's still young but £12 million for a striker that is yet to score in the league and has only shown glimpses of what he is capable of in the carling cup is beyond a joke. His pace is electrifying but he dosent seem to have an awful lot more and its still a mystery what his prefered position actually is. Still time to improve though.

To be honest it was 5 million with rises

i never expect him to be up there with the Messi's or Henrys BUT i htink he will prove to be a good team players for years to come and in his most recent games England and Arsenal he has been good!

Darren Bent

Wayne Rooney

Aaron Lennon

So who is everyone's number 1 over rated?

Mine would of been Lampard, but it seems every fuker thinks he's s**** now, even dropped from the 1st team for England.

Terry then Lampard

Oba Martins tbh.

Fantastic athlete but a very ordinary footballer.  :undecided:

I totally agree :(

Half the Spurs squad should be on the list mind.