Premierships over-rated players

Guest kingdawson

scholes. hasnt really done anything of note for years, yet he's "world class" in many peoples eyes.

As pointed out he had a great season last year.  If you are going by the couple of seasons that he was unlucky with injuries surely the same could then be said about "Englands Michael Owen"?

Guest Knightrider

Berbatov looks like he's pissed off with Spurs and isn't really trying. He'll come good again once he gets his move to Man U.

As for Rooney..... Well, he may have dipped a little over the last couple of seasons, but I wouldn't call him over-rated. The fact that many were seriously considering keeping Heskey and Owen and not playing Rooney for this weekend shows that.

Since the World Cup, he's curbed his aggression a bit (which he needed to do), he's been played wider by Man U instead of being given a licence to roam, and probably defenders have learned to deal with him a bit better. But I regard him as a unique player, and he's the last player I'd consider leaving out. He can turn round a team's performance single handed.

I've always felt and still do he's been constrained by the role he's had to play at Man Utd, and the poor tactics England have employed with regards to the long ball football over these past few years.

Spot on, he's almost been de-coached, his natural flair. He's also too unselfish for his own good.

Guest eyeball_tickler

scholes. hasnt really done anything of note for years, yet he's "world class" in many peoples eyes.

Oh bloody hell, no. He was magnificent last season, and should have been player of the year. He's never played better.

what does he do though? if you watch him closely, he mainly just passes to the nearest player and he hardly ever shoots anymore. if he was in a lesser team, he'd have been found out by now.

Oh bloody hell, no. He was magnificent last season, and should have been player of the year. He's never played better.

what does he do though? if you watch him closely, he mainly just passes to the nearest player and he hardly ever shoots anymore. if he was in a lesser team, he'd have been found out by now.

How many players can keep their head and pass just as well for a final ball to set up a goal as they do on the half way line? Hardly any. Scholes is a good player because his passing game is reliably good even in the final third, where most players feel the pressure and take the wrong option.

Strongly disagree on that one, pretty much every time I saw Man Utd last season he was pulling all the strings. He is world class IMO.

Definitely.

Never got the attention because he shunned the media spotlight, but in his prime was a true world class player and I'm struggling to think of a better attacking midfielder the Premiership has ever seen.  And like was said above, had a great season last year and could easily have won player of the year.

would also say ferdinand is over-rated

In my opinion, when you see the attention the likes of Terry gets, Ferdinand is under rated.  Has proven time and time again at International level he is England's best defender, yet it's always Terry that gets the plaudits.

I think people only claim he is over rated because of the ridiculous fee Man Utd paid.

In my opinion, when you see the attention the likes of Terry gets, Ferdinand is under rated.  Has proven time and time again at International level he is England's best defender, yet it's always Terry that gets the plaudits.

I tihnk people only claim he is over rated because of the ridiculous fee Man Utd paid.

I'd agree, unless he means Anton.

I tihnk people only claim he is over rated because of the ridiculous fee Man Utd paid.

I'd agree, unless he means Anton.

He couldn't have meant Anton.  How can you be over rated if you're shit.  :cheesy:

I'd say maybe Cesc Fabregas. He's brilliant, but the way he's been talked about this season you'd think the sun shone out of his arse. Every time he does something good it's wanked over so much you wouldn't believe. You can bet your life that had a certain young Spaniard scored Nicky Butt's goal against Everton it would have got a hell of a lot more coverage.

Basically, anyone in form is over-rated in this country, and most out of form players are under-rated, bearing in mind that form can count as little as 3-4 games. Nobody looks at the long term anymore.

Guest sittingontheball

I reckon John Terry is the most overrated. He's been hyped by ex center halves like Hansen and Lawrenson.

If its true that he asked for a parity clause on a 9 year contract plus the manager's job, he's a complete tit into the bargain.

Jamie Carragher is hyped too, but nowhere near as much as Terry. Carragher is overrated simply because there are too many ex-Liverpool pundits. Toure is better than both of them. Conversely all of Arsenal's keepers look dodgy to me.

I don't think Gerrard or Scholes is overrated because they regularly perform in big games.  Xabi Alonso and Rooney could do more though.

If anything, Scholes is under-rated.

Alongside Giggs, who is still a quality footballer despite having slowed down considerably.

Their form last season, despite being in their twighlight years, was responsible for ManU winning the Premiership. Chelsea simply dont have footballers as good as them, despite spending 300 million. Goes to show how worthwhile investing in youth can be, as players like that cant often be bought.

Another overrated player is our own Micheal Owen.

Hes a quality finisher and when he has a good game, can bury a team, but like the game against Estonia, he can easily be anonymous. Even for us hes had plenty of games where hes done nothing noteworthy at all, and it seems that has been forgotten in all the hype surrounding his return this time around.

I would say hes a bit like Dyer. When hes not playing, you miss what he brings to the team - badly in our case due to the lack of quality in the squad overall. Then when he returns, you can see the instant impact a player of his calibre makes to a team like ours. But then, after a run of games, that initial impact dies down, and you start seeing the flaws and realise that hes not that great a footballer on a weekly basis compared to the bigger picture - which is where the aspect of being overrated comes in.

Another overrated player is our own Micheal Owen.

Hes a quality finisher and when he has a good game, can bury a team, but like the game against Estonia, he can easily be anonymous. Even for us hes had plenty of games where hes done nothing noteworthy at all, and it seems that has been forgotten in all the hype surrounding his return this time around.

I would say hes a bit like Dyer. When hes not playing, you miss what he brings to the team - badly in our case due to the lack of quality in the squad overall. Then when he returns, you can see the instant impact a player of his calibre makes to a team like ours. But then, after a run of games, that initial impact dies down, and you start seeing the flaws and realise that hes not that great a footballer on a weekly basis compared to the bigger picture - which is where the aspect of being overrated comes in.

agree with this. i'd also add that, like Hoddle said, Owen isn't a natural finisher in the vein of Fowler or Shearer, but an instinctive finisher. When Shearer or Fowler at his peak were presented with a good chance, it was basically a goal, Shearer typically using power to score 9 times of out of ten, Fowler using finesse and trickery to do the same. thos can't be said about Owen, whose actual shooting is pretty weak and at times limp. when he has to think about things, make decisions, he can be a lot less effective. he put three one on one chances against Estonia straight at the keeper, though they were all (one wrongly) judged to be offside. however when he's presented with opportunities where there's no time to think, ie a quick cross or when he's running at full pelt and must make a snap judgement, he's fantastic.

i'd also add that, like Hoddle said, Owen isn't a natural finisher in the vein of Fowler or Shearer, but an instinctive finisher. When Shearer or Fowler at his peak were presented with a good chance, it was basically a goal, Shearer typically using power to score 9 times of out of ten, Fowler using finesse and trickery to do the same. thos can't be said about Owen, whose actual shooting is pretty weak and at times limp. when he has to think about things, make decisions, he can be a lot less effective. he put three one on one chances against Estonia straight at the keeper, though they were all (one wrongly) judged to be offside. however when he's presented with opportunities where there's no time to think, ie a quick cross or when he's running at full pelt and must make a snap judgement, he's fantastic.

That assessment is spot on - as evinced by the weakish shot against Spurs when given the time and space to run in on goal and pick his spot - and sums up Owen entirely. Strong instinctive finisher, decent finisher otherwise.