Linked with Scott Brown in a January move

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vast majority of scotch players are s*** when it comes to the real league which is the English league. A few half decent results doesn't change that. Even in the past, for every scotch player who made it in England another dozen failed.

What is a "scotch" player?

one of the vast majority of those s*** players that come down from Scotland, as he said. Via Scotrail, unless they have a car

There is a chance he could be class, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

To be fair though, they have got a good goalkeeper for the first time in a few decades, so you never know.

I think you mean Scottish. 

Scotrail now run trains to England, thats news to me btw?

They change the name when they cross the border

Racists  ;D

Vast majority of scotch players are s*** when it comes to the real league which is the English league. A few half decent results doesn't change that. Even in the past, for every scotch player who made it in England another dozen failed.

one of the vast majority of those s*** players that come down from Scotland, as he said. Via Scotrail, unless they have a car

There is a chance he could be class, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

To be fair though, they have got a good goalkeeper for the first time in a few decades, so you never know.

I think you mean Scottish. 

Scotrail now run trains to England, thats news to me btw?

They change the name when they cross the border

Racists  ;D

they do,the trains to stranraer and the early morning glasgow via carlisle services are scotrail.

Surely if he were worth £9m, we'd have heard more about the guy, especially given that he's UK-based.

What cover Scottish football when they can talk every week about Owen fit to play for england? :p

The Lad looks good on the few occasions that I've seen him,but if it means coming into contact McKay again,I'd rather leave well alone

Agreed.  If he's sighted in the vicinity of the toon he should be tarred and feathered and run out of town, like the snake oil salesman he is. 

Someone of scotch nationality who is found to be out of his depth at the sport of football when competing in the English League (might not even be the Premier League).

Spot the obvious mistake, "bought a month ago" - he's been with Celtic since last summer. It's a crap story from a crap source and no doubt has come from the McKay stable.

Ignore it. As someone said, why pay 9 mill for a player that cost Celtic 4.5? Not Sam's way AT ALL and Freddie's gone so it's a non story, I'll bet my mortgage on it.

Spot the obvious mistake, "bought a month ago" - he's been with Celtic since last summer. It's a crap story from a crap source and no doubt has come from the McKay stable.

Ignore it. As someone said, why pay 9 mill for a player that cost Celtic 4.5? Not Sam's way AT ALL and Freddie's gone so it's a non story, I'll bet my mortgage on it.

for better or worse ?

Simple fact is, if he's worth it, we should do it.

If he is, and he and others like him go to the clubs above us, we will NEVER catch them.

Sometimes works that way though, I would have paid £5m for Benni McCarthy last January...

Very good player but I don't see it happening.  £9m is a lot of money.  I wouldn't mind paying that for him after he scores 15 goals in the league this season and 3 or 4 in the Champs League but until that happens it'll be a huge gamble.  I don't think he's done anything since signing for Celtic so far to justify doubling his transfer fee.

True. However, there have been as few North Eastern players lately as Scottish players with any significant quality. No idea why.

In their prime the likes of Beardsley, Waddle, Gazza, Robson etc would walk into most Premiership sides. Likewise, Hansen (who was a superb centre half/sweeper), Dalglish, Souness and Steve Nicol (most underrated player I have seen). Even John Wark is a step up on wat they have now.

Perhaps there may be some resurgence. There certainly needs to be. There has been f*** all of any note out of either place since Alan Shearer.

Of course there was the likes of John Robertson who shone up there, but generally established players up there did f*** all down here with the exception of Dalglish - at least thats the only one I can think of. The rest came down as kids.

Very good point and I've thought the same thing for a long time, especially when you had Shepard going on about Geordie players and what have you. Like you say Shearer was the last great player to come from north of the M62, though if he had of stayed fit I would have put Woodgate down. Compare this to some of the players coming from the North West.

I have been saying we should have signed him for 18 months. I can't be fagged to find all the threads I have posted this in. He is a quality midfielder with a considerable skill, strong tackler and a great engine.  In fact everything our current midfield is missing.We could have got him 18 months ago for about 1 to 1.5 million. Celtic did their usual smash and grab act on the young Hibs squad this summer. Unfortunately I think he will end up with one of the big four and not us.

fades away...

If Scott Brown was as half as good as one of the most skillful players ever to pull on a black and white shirt-Tony Green, also a Scot- was I would have him for £18 million never mind £9 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Green_(footballer)

there will never be another Tony Green mate

I have played against Tony Green in a competitive game !

He did his teacher training at my school, and he was on the opposition side in a games lesson :)

If Scott Brown was as half as good as one of the most skillful players ever to pull on a black and white shirt-Tony Green, also a Scot- was I would have him for £18 million never mind £9 million.

Agreed. One of the best players I've ever seen. Sometimes it pays to be one of the aulder people around here to have seen some of these great players.

Away from Newcastle players, I count myself lucky to have stood on the terraces and seen the likes of George Best and Bobby Charlton, for example. Best goalkeeping performance I've seen was one from Shilton when we drew 2-2 with Leicester. I don't know how we scored at all he was that bloody good in that game.

Tony Green is up there and as you say, there'll never be another one like him even in style of play. A total one-off.

Agreed. One of the best players I've ever seen. Sometimes it pays to be one of the aulder people around here to have seen some of these great players.

Away from Newcastle players, I count myself lucky to have stood on the terraces and seen the likes of George Best and Bobby Charlton, for example. Best goalkeeping performance I've seen was one from Shilton when we drew 2-2 with Leicester. I don't know how we scored at all he was that bloody good in that game.

I thought it was the Derby game ~1988, when Darren Jackson ended in tears cos we just couldn't score ? And it was 0-0

I thought it was the Derby game ~1988, when Darren Jackson ended in tears cos we just couldn't score ? And it was 0-0

Well I'm not certain, tbh. I have a recollection of us drawing 2-2 with Leicester when he would have had about 15 had it not been for Shilton. It was the early 70's while I was still at school.

Perhaps it wasn't Leciester and perhaps it wasn't even 2-2, but it was definitely Shilton and it was definitely a draw 'cos everyone was gutted how well we played and didn't win. I think. :)

Age is creeping up on me......