Sam IS A Tactical Genius

Crumpy Gunt

Guest Sniffer

Nothing like kneejerk reactions.

I've held the same view on allardyce since he signed on. Unlike many, I'm unimpressed by two video screens, halter monitors and dieticians. What happens on the field is all that matters and the quality of our football is poor at best. We've scored some good individual goals but, bearing in mind that we haven't played a good team this season so far, I haven't watched a match where I came away feeling really good about the performance. Spurs was OK, but they were rubbish. Yesterday, IMO, was a fucking joke and if that's the best game plan that fat sam can come up with against a team like reading, FFS, then I don't know what he'll do against manure or a full strength arsenal team rather than the reserves.

I've held the same view on allardyce since he signed on. Unlike many, I'm unimpressed by two video screens, halter monitors and dieticians. What happens on the field is all that matters and the quality of our football is poor at best. We've scored some good individual goals but, bearing in mind that we haven't played a good team this season so far, I haven't watched a match where I came away feeling really good about the performance. Spurs was OK, but they were rubbish. Yesterday, IMO, was a fucking joke and if that's the best game plan that fat sam can come up with against a team like reading, FFS, then I don't know what he'll do against manure or a full strength arsenal team rather than the reserves.

Good post.

Because Allardyce is renowned for struggling against the big 4?

Going to places like Derby and Reading and playing for a point is just unacceptable.  We have a much superior squad and should be going to those places with the kind of attitude Man Utd and Arsenal would have - go at them playing attacking football and dominate the game.  Not sitting back and thinking a point is a good result.

It's quite clear Allardyce would happily take a point at every away game regardless who we're playing, instead of thinking we can go out and beat them.  Totally relying on home form to get a top 6 finish.

We're obviously in a much healthier position from last season, and of course I'd take finishing 6th playing 'boring' football, but more performances like yesterday and it will be a dismal mid table finish.  So far I'm not impressed.

Hate this  "big 4" phrase. Why not "big 5" or "big 2?"

Anyway, it doesn't matter what we do against the "big 4" if we do shite against all the rest.

Guest Sniffer

Without looking it up, I couldn't tell you what Bolton's record is against the " big 4 ".

I'm a little more concerned about us and what he's doing here. And it doesn't seem to be much so far judging by performances on the pitch.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what we do against the "big 4" if we do shite against all the rest.

Well considering one of his points was about how Sam will cope with one of the bigger sides then I think its quite relevant. 

Point is he has done well in the past tactics wise against the bigger sides so I am not really worrying.

I am however worried if he really is going to places like Derby and Reading playing for a draw though.

It took Bobby awhile to finally dump his dream of 352 and maybe Sam could do the same.

I agree with HTL. Stop doing a Benitez, pick your best side and formation and give it a go for 5 or so games continuously. Drop players who aren't performing but still keep the side similar. I appreciate tactical changes, looking particularly at exploiting a weakness or trying to combat a threat but against a Reading side leaking goals for fun nothing but our strongest side should do.

Guest Sniffer

I wish I shared you confidence in that you aren't worried about playing them, Gejon.

Personally, I think we'll get turned over.

Tbh there is a chance we would get turned over by them no matter who was the manager, teams like that have players who when click can destroy you on their own. When there are 3 or 4 of them on top of their game its trouble, like Chelsea against high flying City yesterday.

However I do remember Allardyce getting the tactics spot on against these sort of sides quite a bit at Bolton.

Guest Sniffer

And yet, teams like reading don't and Fat sam was still shit scared of them and willing to settle for a point.

Something doesn't seem right to me.

And yet, teams like reading don't and Fat sam was still shit scared of them and willing to settle for a point.

Something doesn't seem right to me.

There is somethng amiss at the moment and SA's thinking seems riddled with caution and deferance to clearly the whipping boys of the league.

Well considering one of his points was about how Sam will cope with one of the bigger sides then I think its quite relevant. 

I doubt his comment needs to be taken so literally, tbh. What he's saying is something like, "how negative will Allardyce be against some of the better teams?"

Fact is, if we beat the "big 4" and lose against everyone else we'd be relegated.

The point you appeared to be making is that at Bolton, Allardyce had a decent record against the "big 4." Well, my take on that point is that at this stage it's irrelevant what his record was against the "big 4."

BTW During his time as Bolton manager we were in the top 4 a couple of times (making us one of the "big 4" at that point in time) and I recall us thrashing them more than once.

I doubt his comment needs to be taken so literally, tbh. What he's saying is something like, "how negative will Allardyce be against some of the better teams?"

Fact is, if we beat the "big 4" and lose against everyone else we'd be relegated.

The point you appeared to be making is that at Bolton, Allardyce had a decent record against the "big 4." Well, my take on that point is that at this stage it's irrelevant what his record was against the "big 4."

BTW During his time as Bolton manager we were in the top 4 a couple of times (making us one of the "big 4" at that point in time) and I recall us thrashing them more than once.

Regardless of the defeat. I think the defence is much better already than last year although there is still the odd unwanted error.

The problems now for me has shifted to the midfield which normally supplies the cohesion and fluency to a side....Dare I say we are still missing a 'fulcrum'.

This is also being hampered by some bizarre positioning and team selections.

Guest scousertommy

I've been worried by Allardyce from the start. He wouldn't have been my choice for a variety of reasons, not least the type of football played by Bolton and his begging for the England job, which made him appear a fool, to put it mildly.

Despite all of that and my negative attitude about him I acknowledge that so far he's done fairly well, we're on the right lines and are moving forward. Unlike Souness, he's signed some decent players. I want him to prove me wrong by getting us back up there, I've been hopinig he'll turn out to be the right man for the job.

The problem looks real though. If his crap attitude keeps up for much longer it'll start to look even more as though he's not the right man. This type of negative approach is permeating it's way through to the minds of the players, the fear of conceding a goal is going to take over soon and we'll be totally stifled. You can't consistently go away from home in this league and play for a 0-0 with the hopes of snatching a 1-0 win, it won't work.

I want to see Allardyce decide on his best XI is and then stick with it, except for players being unavailable. I don't care who the opposition is or whether we're home or away, you pick your strongest XI and that's it. I don't want to see fannying about with formations such as trying 3 at the back, 1 up front, 4-3-3 or 4 central midfielders congesting the space and playing narrow. It's a load of bollocks and if he keeps doing any of those things then for me he'll turn out to be a fuckwit similar to Souness and should go. With a new owner I think he only has this season to prove he's the right man. He better pull his finger out 'cos right now he's not doing too badly but that doesn't translate to "good enough."

As a Liverpool fan reading this it very much reminds me of the constant arguments at EVERY match from 2000 onwards. We played the same way as you seem to be now, 8 men behind the ball and the big hoof up to Owen, hoping that he could turn p*** poor service into goals.

What you'll find, as the season progresses is that you may well nick a win against the "big four" now and again as they grow frustrated and Owen or Martins are good enough to take the on half chance that drops their way - however against the teams that you'd expect to beat you'll end up giving them so much possesion that their confidence will grow and you'll be on the end of some shocking results.

When it worked for us the fans were split into two camps, one that said the style of play is rubbish and it doesn't matter if we won and the other side would say that the win was the most important thing and as our confidece grows then so will the attractiveness of our play. The thing is though, that evenb when we won those trophies in 2001 (largely on the back of a rock solid defence and Owens goals) the style of play stayed the same. Houllier seemed incapable of sending out a team that played good football, and I think you have a similar guy in Allardyce - people say he played long ball at Bolton because he didn't have the resources but he had Anelka,Diouf,Campo,Hierro and Speed and whatever you think of them nobody can accuse them of not playing the ball along the ground.His ideal would be to win 1-0 every gameand if I was a toon supporter i wouldn't be very hopeful of much entertainment this season.

However, saying that if Owen stays, and with a bit of luck I can see you doing well in the F.A. cup this year. Whether you're prepared to accept the style in which you ploay is another thing bvut a guy that shells out so much on Alan Smith from his good friend Ferguson would not indicate that he's trying to re capture the free flowing days of Keegan

Regardless of the defeat. I think the defence is much better already than last year although there is still the odd unwanted error.

The problems now for me has shifted to the midfield which normally supplies the cohesion and fluency to a side....Dare I say we are still missing a 'fulcrum'.

Without stirring a hornets nest, the defence was never the major problem despite the poor personnel.

Since Souness decimated Robson's team the problem has been a combination of a lack of decent forward play and midfield play.  This prevents us dictating and controlling games, resulting in the defence being put under too much pressure.

I said ages ago that you could put the best 4 defenders in the country in our team and we'd still leak goals due to the pressure they'd be under. Obviously better defenders are important and we needed better players at the back, but we also need to control games and we won't do that by improving individuals at the back.

Remember that we were a top 4 team under Robson with poor defenders. That's because we had the players ahead of them to threaten the opposition and to control football matches, thus proving it's possible to do well under those circumstances. If you can't dictate and control games you'll get nowhere, which is why the problem has been midfield/strikers for a while now and is why we're average/poor most of the time even with better defenders now.

I've held the same view on allardyce since he signed on. Unlike many, I'm unimpressed by two video screens, halter monitors and dieticians. What happens on the field is all that matters and the quality of our football is poor at best. We've scored some good individual goals but, bearing in mind that we haven't played a good team this season so far, I haven't watched a match where I came away feeling really good about the performance. Spurs was OK, but they were rubbish. Yesterday, IMO, was a f****** joke and if that's the best game plan that fat sam can come up with against a team like reading, FFS, then I don't know what he'll do against manure or a full strength arsenal team rather than the reserves.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what we do against the "big 4" if we do s**** against all the rest.

Without stirring a hornets nest, the defence was never the major problem despite the poor personnel.

Since Souness decimated Robson's team the problem has been a combination of a lack of decent forward play and midfield play.  This prevents us dictating and controlling games, resulting in the defence being put under too much pressure.

I said ages ago that you could put the best 4 defenders in the country in our team and we'd still leak goals due to the pressure they'd be under. Obviously better defenders are important and we needed better players at the back, but we also need to control games and we won't do that by improving individuals at the back.

Remember that we were a top 4 team under Robson with poor defenders. That's because we had the players ahead of them to threaten the opposition and to control football matches, thus proving it's possible to do well under those circumstances. If you can't dictate and control games you'll get nowhere, which is why the problem has been midfield/strikers for a while now and is why we're average/poor most of the time even with better defenders now.

Would Spurs be an example of this last season?

I've been worried by Allardyce from the start. He wouldn't have been my choice for a variety of reasons, not least the type of football played by Bolton and his begging for the England job, which made him appear a fool, to put it mildly.

Despite all of that and my negative attitude about him I acknowledge that so far he's done fairly well, we're on the right lines and are moving forward. Unlike Souness, he's signed some decent players. I want him to prove me wrong by getting us back up there, I've been hopinig he'll turn out to be the right man for the job.

The problem looks real though. If his crap attitude keeps up for much longer it'll start to look even more as though he's not the right man. This type of negative approach is permeating it's way through to the minds of the players, the fear of conceding a goal is going to take over soon and we'll be totally stifled. You can't consistently go away from home in this league and play for a 0-0 with the hopes of snatching a 1-0 win, it won't work.

I want to see Allardyce decide on his best XI is and then stick with it, except for players being unavailable. I don't care who the opposition is or whether we're home or away, you pick your strongest XI and that's it. I don't want to see fannying about with formations such as trying 3 at the back, 1 up front, 4-3-3 or 4 central midfielders congesting the space and playing narrow. It's a load of bollocks and if he keeps doing any of those things then for me he'll turn out to be a fuckwit similar to Souness and should go. With a new owner I think he only has this season to prove he's the right man. He better pull his finger out 'cos right now he's not doing too badly but that doesn't translate to "good enough."

As a Liverpool fan reading this it very much reminds me of the constant arguments at EVERY match from 2000 onwards. We played the same way as you seem to be now, 8 men behind the ball and the big hoof up to Owen, hoping that he could turn p*** poor service into goals.

What you'll find, as the season progresses is that you may well nick a win against the "big four" now and again as they grow frustrated and Owen or Martins are good enough to take the on half chance that drops their way - however against the teams that you'd expect to beat you'll end up giving them so much possesion that their confidence will grow and you'll be on the end of some shocking results.

When it worked for us the fans were split into two camps, one that said the style of play is rubbish and it doesn't matter if we won and the other side would say that the win was the most important thing and as our confidece grows then so will the attractiveness of our play. The thing is though, that evenb when we won those trophies in 2001 (largely on the back of a rock solid defence and Owens goals) the style of play stayed the same. Houllier seemed incapable of sending out a team that played good football, and I think you have a similar guy in Allardyce - people say he played long ball at Bolton because he didn't have the resources but he had Anelka,Diouf,Campo,Hierro and Speed and whatever you think of them nobody can accuse them of not playing the ball along the ground.His ideal would be to win 1-0 every gameand if I was a toon supporter i wouldn't be very hopeful of much entertainment this season.

However, saying that if Owen stays, and with a bit of luck I can see you doing well in the F.A. cup this year. Whether you're prepared to accept the style in which you ploay is another thing bvut a guy that shells out so much on Alan Smith from his good friend Ferguson would not indicate that he's trying to re capture the free flowing days of Keegan

Top notch post.  blueyes.gif

I think I've found myself agreeing with this before. And you're absolutely right. I kicked off a number of threads in the summer as it dawned on me we weren't going to buy and creativity/controllers/fulcrums. If you don't get an even share or control of the midfield the defence starts to drop back/get tired/ lose people and flaky goals result.

This sums it up nicely...

http://www.newcastle-online.com/2007/10/27/a-pragmatic-mis-reading-of-the-script/

agree with the previous posts about not providing an attacking threat. tho it's not just about setting up a midfield that will dominate possession and dictate the tempo of the game. it's ok to keep the ball, play safe passes and slow down the pace of the game on occasion, but not all the time and not from minute zero against the likes of reading. people have said that the ball didn't stick when we got it up front but it's not just about that either. the call is more for having the attacking players/creativity/pace/width to keep the opposition on their feet, pushing them back, making them second-guess their own play, worry about their positioning, making them play the safe passes and the percentages game. if they are more worried about us then they're not going to be able to have to confidence and freedom to work fluent attacking moves. but in a few away games this season it's been us playing this football and not the opposition. in fact Sam seems intent on MAKING us play this football, which i find strange, it simply invites pressure.

by providing an attacking threat of our own we're not only more likely to score goals but there's also a good chance we'll concede less, dominate the territorial battle and pin the opposition back around their box. this is what we did when we had the likes of robert and bellamy playing for us, taking the pressure off crap defenders like O'brien, bramble, dabizas and so on, which minimised the chances of those players being targeted for mistakes by other teams, while also giving poor to average full-backs likes Hughes and Bernard the chance to play some good football going forwards. none of those players have gone on to do anything noteworthy elsewhere.

we also had players in that side like shearer, speed and solano who could not only attack well but kept possession brilliantly and knew how to play it safe from time to time, meaning we could adapt to different styles. There is a school of thought that says Allardyce only favours this kind of player, who are essential to a team, but they need risk-takers alongside them like Dyer Bellamy and Robert for a good balance. Robert used to lose the ball a ridiculous amount of times (which is perhaps why the less intelligent hated him) but that is cos he was trying something different. Allardyce is perhaps too risk-averse to go out and buy players like these, or someone like Martins or N'Zogbia who seem to be in and out of the side. I remember from his Bolton days that he would keep tabs on every pass or shot a player made, and if they wasted possession by taking a chance a player would be criticised. Kevin Nolan scored a cracking long range shot one match and in the after-game interview said "the gaffer will shout at me for hitting it from distance, cos he hates it". such an attitude will inhibit a players attacking instincts and the ironic consequence is that the opposition will be freer to attack and dominate the game, not having to worry about we get up to.