Best CM in Prem

SUPERTOON
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest kingdawson

Arteta shouldn't even be mentioned in this thead.  Good, yes, best in the Premiership?  Not even close

he's close tbh. Maybe 7th best.

Scholes, Alonso, Mascherano, Essien, Lampard, Gerrard, Fabregas and thats without leaving the top 4

yeh and im sure there were a great deal of cm's from outside the top 4 were going to be on the list :thup:.

Guest RodrigoPalacio

Arteta shouldn't even be mentioned in this thead.  Good, yes, best in the Premiership?  Not even close

Scholes, Alonso, Mascherano, Essien, Lampard, Gerrard, Fabregas and thats without leaving the top 4

yeh and im sure there were a great deal of cm's from outside the top 4 were going to be on the list :thup:.

Jenas?  Huddlestone? Im sure Michael Dawson could do a job in centre mid as well.

Tbf you have promoted him to 5th now by editing your post, I've only listed 7 who are better.  Truth is, he's just a decent midfielder, nothing more.  You're probably right though, he might just scrape into the top 10

Guest kingdawson

Well i said he's not better then Arteta, to which you replied 'YES'. What did you mean then?

That Elano has been better than Arteta so far this season?

But you mentioned that afterwards. Tbh i think you're trying to go back on your previous statement as you realised it was rubbish.

I mentioned it afterwards because you asked about Arteta, numbnuts. Christ I didn't go into any more depth over Arteta as I did the others that you mentioned. Stop with the game of 1 up man ship, it's childish.

And rubbish? So Elano hasn't been better than Arteta these past 10 games? (all we have to compare the two players with tbh)

The thread title asks who the best midfielder is and you obviously knew it wasnt only for this season by the way you were baffled about the inclusion of Fabregas.

Think Arteta has performed better than Elano this season tbh and .last season he was out of this world. Might not have scored as many goals has him but he's a class player.

Guest kingdawson

You guys do realise Arteta isn't even a central midfielder, don't you?

Oh yes he is. Its just that Everton play him on the left to which he's equally as comfortable. At sociedad he was a centre midfielder and at Rangers to i think.

Oh yes he is. Its just that Everton play him on the left to which he's equally as comfortable. At sociedad he was a centre midfielder and at Rangers to i think.

Read the thread title.

Guest kingdawson

Read the thread title.

Yes but he is a centre midfielder. Its just like us trying to play Tainio on the left or Jenas on the right except Arteta is such a good footballer he can adopt to any position. A bit like steed malbranque for us who also plays well regardless of position.

The thread title asks who the best midfielder is and you obviously knew it wasnt only for this season by the way you were baffled about the inclusion of Fabregas.

Think Arteta has performed better than Elano this season tbh and .last season he was out of this world. Might not have scored as many goals has him but he's a class player.

So now we're talking about the original idea of this thread?  Is that why we are comparing Elano (who has only had 10 games experince, so "you obviously knew it wasnt only for this season" is false) and Arteta who aren't close to the best CM's in this league. Yes, we are so keeping to the original post  :idiot2:

And baffled by the inclusion of Fabregas? I'd like to see some quotes for this as all I recall is being baffled as to how people could be saying he's "leagues ahead" and "Gerrard and Lampard, you're having a laugh" (or words to that effect) when it's only this season he has been like that...

We're comparing Elano and Arteta, all we have to go on to compare them with is their starts to the seasons. And Elanos has been better than Artetas, the stats show this (Both have 5 assists but Elano has more goals and a higher points tally).

Guest kingdawson

So now we're talking about the original idea of this thread?  Is that why we are comparing Elano (who has only had 10 games experince, so "you obviously knew it wasnt only for this season" is false) and Arteta who aren't close to the best CM's in this league. Yes, we are so keeping to the original post  :idiot2:

And baffled by the inclusion of Fabregas? I'd like to see some quotes for this as all I recall is being baffled as to how people could be saying he's "leagues ahead" and "Gerrard and Lampard, you're having a laugh" (or words to that effect) when it's only this season he has been like that...

We're comparing Elano and Arteta, all we have to go on to compare them with is their starts to the seasons. And Elanos has been better than Artetas, the stats show this (Both have 5 assists but Elano has more goals and a higher points tally).

how many starts has elano had to arteta? Oh and we were comparing elano and arteta because you posted that Elano should be up there if he continues his form and i listed a bunch of players who i felt were superior to Elano overall as a player.

how many starts has elano had to arteta? Oh and we were comparing elano and arteta because you posted that Elano should be up there if he continues his form and i listed a bunch of players who i felt were superior to Elano overall as a player.

Arteta has played 900 minutes of football this season. He has played 90 minutes in 10 games and missed one game so far this season. Elano has played 879 minutes and participated in all 11 games, only playing the full 90 in one game so far this season*.

And I know we are comparing them because I suggested Elano, and he should be rated amongst the best if he carries this form throughout the season...

*All stats from www.premierleague.com. Minutes played don't include extra time and time added on.

Guest kingdawson

Arteta has played 900 minutes of football this season. He has played 90 minutes in 10 games and missed one game so far this season. Elano has played 879 minutes and participated in all 11 games, only playing the full 90 in one game so far this season*.

And I know we are comparing them because I suggested Elano, and he should be rated amongst the best if he carries this form throughout the season...

*All stats from www.premierleague.com. Minutes played don't include extra time and time added on.

Fair enough altough i still think Arteta's vastly superior O0

Fabregas or Essien. Seems that Essien's quite underrated on here. I think he's the glue to Chelsea's team - without him they're very vulnerable and usually get dominated.

Edit - Good thread btw, we haven't had a good Gen Footie thread started in a while.

2nd edit - I think Gerrard's not been at his best for quite a while now - excluding his wondergoal against Villa in the opening week that is. Didn't finish last season well (I still remember his miss in the Champs League final), hasn't been that good for England and now he seems unable to drive Liverpool forward like he used to do so well a couple of seasons ago, which is actually a polar opposite to Fab's fabulous form atm - showed his class on Sunday.

A close call between Cesc and Essien for me.

As said by Apisith, Essien is essential for Chelsea to funtion. Hard working, box to box, versatile and gets stuck in.

For me Cesc is the better of the two mainly as he has *it* that little extra bit which he can use to influence games.

Guest jimmy1982

It depends what you like your midfielders to be doing - if you're after barnstorming runs and box-to-box type action, with consistently match-defining performances then Gerard is your man I reckon, with Essien getting better and better all the time.

For me I'd far rather have Fabregas in our team cos his appreciation of space, the runs of his teammates and his sublime execution are just top notch. Scholes was in that category as well but obviously he's on the way down a bit now, even though he's still class. I remember Wenger talking about Fabregas' appreciation of the 'ebb and flow' of a game. He's still young and we don't know how he'll develop, but at the moment he does seem to be on a different plane to most other players. I remember being amazed by the way Beardsley used to instinctively know when was the right time to inject a bit of pace into an attack and when to keep it simple. Fabregas seems to have a similar understanding, although he's in a deeper role than Pedro used to have, from what I've seen, so will probably have scope to influence the pattern of play more. Even though he doesn't seem to pull of the breathtaking bits of genius Pedro used to do from time to time, he's still great to watch because of the way when he plays the whole match seems to revolve around him.

For me I'd far rather have Fabregas in our team cos his appreciation of space

He could stand and look at the Milburn stand all he likes but still prefer Gerrard. :razz:

Guest jimmy1982

For me I'd far rather have Fabregas in our team cos his appreciation of space

He could stand and look at the Milburn stand all he likes but still prefer Gerrard. :razz:

:lol: