5-a-side formations: what do you play?

Keefaz

1-2-1 / 3-1 formation, not sure what you'd call it.

Best way to play it is.

One man, your paciest player ideally, up top at all times, rarely dropping back too far inside his own half. His job is to press the opposition when they have the ball, nothing too cavalier but not just goal-hanging either.

Leaving him up top will always give you the threat of one quick ball forward and an easy goal if the other team doesn't keep a good eye on him.

The 3 at the back then play in zones, one in the middle and one either side.

Going man-for-man is tricky as you can get dragged all over the place very easily. 5-a-side pitches are generally quite small so you'll never be too far from your teammates and thus won't leave much space for the opponents.

When you have the ball the two wide defenders become wingers/strikers and get forward to support the lone striker, while the centreback sort of hangs back and makes himself available for the easy pass for his teammates and can burst forward the odd time when a blatant chance develops.

You generally want your best player playing CB as he basically will dictate your playmaking and has to be able to read the game well, while you want a small pacey fucker up front.

This.

We leave 2 at the back and one up front to close down, and he (I) basically stays up there unless the other team leave nobody back in which case it's necessary to track. That leaves one man who is the link between defence and attack, wouldn't call him a midfielder but I would say he has to block the oppositions play makers (there's always 1 or 2 who are clearly the better players and need shutting down)

Having said that, we were 5-2 up with 3 minutes to go on Friday and drew 5-5 :lol:

The worst thing about 5-a-side is how shit I am. I'm fucking rubbish and most of the lads I play with are average with the odd good player who stands out like a sore thumb. We always get the odd bamp hanging around giving us some stick for being a bunch of useless old blokes. I'd give them a good kicking if I could catch them. :lol:

Guest jimmy1982

man for man marking is always 100% catastrophic in my experience cos you just end up a confused mess with all the chasing around. you've just got to pick up whoever's nearest you when you lose the ball, and stay on him til they lose it or score or get fouled.

that 3-1 formation with wing backs is probably the way we play, without having noticed. you just tend to fall into it naturally as there's probably no other resonable option. having said that no player sticks to one position.

My team have fairly shit team when it comes to individuals however we are better than most teams because we work harder, are better athletes (if that's the right word) and we know our system & players very well.

The best matches come when teams play a 4-0/0-4 system because then your really forced to go man for man and everyone thinks they can score on the counter so everyone goes forward.

I play 5-a-side three days a week and I can't say we've ever bothered about positions.  I think if you all know eachother and are all aware enough of what's going on around you then there shouldn't be any need to stick to one area of the park - it's all situational.  If three go, one stays - it doesn't always have to be the same person, you just have to use your brain.  It's a bit like playing central midfield in an 11-a-side game.

Also don't agree with sticking to one side of the park either.  Movement and overlapping can usually create space and/or buy you half a second which is often all you need to conjure up a goal in 5-a-sides.

Experience/instinct will also carry you a long way if you're good enough.

I play 5-a-side three days a week and I can't say we've ever bothered about positions.  I think if you all know eachother and are all aware enough of what's going on around you then there shouldn't be any need to stick to one area of the park - it's all situational.  If three go, one stays - it doesn't always have to be the same person, you just have to use your brain.  It's a bit like playing central midfield in an 11-a-side game.

Also don't agree with sticking to one side of the park either.  Movement and overlapping can usually create space and/or buy you half a second which is often all you need to conjure up a goal in 5-a-sides.

Experience/instinct will also carry you a long way if you're good enough.

I agree. It's not really a game which lends itself to set positions, because it's all about movement and quick one- and two-touch passing. The best teams I've played against are always teams who are very fluid and pass and move at pace. Because none of them have positions it makes it that much harder to mark them. You could play positions I suppose, a lot of people adopt their own style to playing 5-a-side, but a good team will run you ragged and interchange all the time.

It's not so much about positions, you can't leave 1 upfront all the time playing the 3-1 formation that's been mentioned. If all 4 outfield oppostion players are breaking forward around teh box and you leave 1 up even just at the ½ way line you'll get raped!

If it was a Newcastle 5a side team i'd have

GIVEN

ROZ        TAYLOR

EMRE

MARTINS

BENCH: EMRE FAYE N'ZOBIA MILNER OWEN

emre must be special, playing and on the bench  :razz:

i'd have:

Given

Rozehnal Taylor

Barton

Martins

Played this evening. Started the first half really well playing that diamond formation and then it turned to a bit of a shambles in the second when we were a bit indisciplined. Would definitely recommend a couple minute's chat about formation as I think there were definite improvements tonight.

Played this evening. Started the first half really well playing that diamond formation and then it turned to a bit of a shambles in the second when we were a bit indisciplined. Would definitely recommend a couple minute's chat about formation as I think there were definite improvements tonight.

at gateshead leisure centre? or somewhere in newcastle

at gateshead leisure centre? or somewhere in newcastle

mackems.gif

oh well...just because me and jamie watch people play 5-a-side after we play squash every week, and theres always the same blokes playing and they were doing well, then played shit after half-time  :razz: 

thought i would ask if it was you

oh well...just because me and jamie watch people play 5-a-side after we play squash every week, and theres always the same blokes playing and they were doing well, then played shit after half-time :razz:

Aye, us old blokes get knackered in the second half and anyone with a bit of pace will annihilate us.

oh well...just because me and jamie watch people play 5-a-side after we play squash every week, and theres always the same blokes playing and they were doing well, then played shit after half-time  :razz: 

Just because you thaught one of the keepers was NSG, Kev  :lol:

oh well...just because me and jamie watch people play 5-a-side after we play squash every week, and theres always the same blokes playing and they were doing well, then played s*** after half-time  :razz: 

Just because you thaught one of the keepers was NSG, Kev  :lol:

haha  ;D i havnt saw NSG i just said i think he might look like that sort of person

you said who....? cant remember but you said some people from off here  :laugh:

Where i play in the US we don't have 5 a side, but play 6 plus a keeper on an indoor field thats similar to a hockey rink but with decent artificial turf on it. We usually play one up top, two in the middle, and 3 in the back, but everyone has to cover a large portion of the field.  I play 11 a side over the summer at CM, but indoors 6 a side has to be the most physically taxing sport around.

Where i play in the US we don't have 5 a side, but play 6 plus a keeper on an indoor field thats similar to a hockey rink but with decent artificial turf on it. We usually play one up top, two in the middle, and 3 in the back, but everyone has to cover a large portion of the field.  I play 11 a side over the summer at CM, but indoors 6 a side has to be the most physically taxing sport around.

What about the 24-hour wankathon?

i know this says 5-a-side but...the new 3rd generation pitches at gateshead stadium are amazing

go about 2 times every week to have a kick about with me mates

anyone else been on them?

Some of the astroturf pitches we have in Dundee are fuckin atrocious.  I'm only 25 and i've had shin splints four times since I was 18.  There's no give in the surface at all.

yeah, they're horrible here. Thin layer of turf on cement. It makes for a very unconfortable time.