Crap Kids who played for the Toon

Guest BooBoo

Brian Kerr had a very good game at home to Liverpool once. Other than that I consider him rubbish.

Richard Offiong - did he ever feature for the first team?

Can't believe we stuck to Steve Caldwell but not Gary. Gary is playing some very good stuff for Celtic and Scotland I hear.

Season Gary spent on loan in the championship he was apparently the best defender in the league. Never understood why he wasn't given more of a chance. Reckon he must be better than the likes of Ramage etc... (I know different times but still).

he was in eldon square the day, just thought id say

• 6 months later...
Guest helios_centric

A lot of the players being talked about here were bought or brought into the club - not really kids through the youth system/academy.

I remember seeing a very young Steve Howey playing up front (on his debut I think) and he looked absolutely woeful. Whoever shoved him into the back four did him a big favour. Paul Ferris never lived up to the hype that surrounded him and neither did Bogie, but I don't think either of them were really crap compared to the other players around the club at the time.

I think you have to put it into context. When I grew up in the 70s/80s there were very few foreign players around so you would simply have more home grown players coming through and the potential for complete mugs to somehow luck their way into a handful of first team appearances was much greater. Gary Nicholson was typical of that kind of youth 'product', but I'm sure there have been dozens more just like him who are now almost entirely fogotten.

I haven't seen many kids coming through who the first time of I saw them play I thought "he's going to be a top player," although Gazza is definitely a glowing exception to that rule. I also remember being very impressed with Steve Watson in his early days too, but for every one of those good ones I reckon there were scores of Jamie McClens.

I had seen 15-20 hours of Coppinger in the flesh in the lower leagues about six years ago. Had an abundance of pace and ball control skills compared to those around him. Played central midfield but you'd never see him in his own half. Average passing and shooting skills, but dreadful decision maker in the final third and would always lose the ball. Exeter used him by just giving him the ball and letting him run at the defence. He would win a lot of set pieces, but he wasn't good for much else apart from the odd goal.

If he has improved the mental side of his game, and is in a role with no defensive duties, he could be an OK Championship player. Looking at where other youngsters ended up, he certainly is better than others.

I think the reason why so many youngsters failed is because our first team coaches are too shit. It seems like they all progress well in reserves but they couldn't step over to the next level and make contributions in the first team. Together with the lack of improvement on some of our so called young prospects before (Dyer, Bramble), I do think it's the coaches that should be blamed, not the boys.

Just thought would bump this as a reminder of what was thought of various players.

Coppinger 3 cracking goals last night has he found his niche or is he destined for a better team than Donny?

used to play with Coppinger as a kid, was class.

Guest shaun11177

Dont think it has anything to do with coaching. Which player has left NUFC and gfone on to prove he shouldnt have been released. I cant think of any.

Most of these names found a reasonable career in the lower leagues or non-league and that was their true level.

The bigger question has to be where has all the North East talent gone-Boro seem to have some players coming thru but NUFC have had to go abroad to find some decent 17 year olds.