Steven Taylor

Baggio

I think he'll still turn into a top player.

Baggio - Are there any members of the current squad you actually rate? You slate Milner, Owen, Smith, Taylor.............fucking give it a rest man.

Baggio still thinks Dyer was worth keeping, after 8 years of massive underachieving  mackems.gif

This thread is about Steven Taylor, can you keep it on topic please.

No. If you don't like me dragging up comments by you, tough, as its something you seem to like doing yourself. Its also topical, its about comparing our central defenders.

I also added to the last post too.

This thread is about Taylor being a liability, feel free to add your opinion.

If you want to start a thread about Dyer then go ahead and I'll happily pass comment.

whats the matter Baggio. Can't take people disagreeing with you, or dragging up your points, like you do to others ?

Steven Taylor is a defender for NUFC. Comparing him to other defenders at the club, and comparing your judgement of him to your judgement of others, is very much the point. If you don't like it, stop sniping about young players playing for the shirt, and moaning all the time.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me at all, I just prefer it to stay on topic.

Like I said, if you want to start a thread about Dyer I'll happy join in.

Baggio - Are there any members of the current squad you actually rate? You slate Milner, Owen, Smith, Taylor.............fucking give it a rest man.

What attributes do you think he has to make him become a top player?

He's strong, can read the game well for his age, rarely gets skinned (See Petrov for an exception this season though) and can challenge.

I think his timing of the challenge can sometimes let him down as can his rashness but he's only a young lad and hasn't really played alongside a good experienced centre half for any length of time.

I find your constant sniping of our squad a bit boring. You love a fucking whinge don't you?

He isn't strong though, nor can he read the game very well because if he could he wouldn't get caught out as much as he does with his positioning.

I don't snipe at our squad, I can just recognise an average player when I see one and the players you named are just that, except Owen of course but he isn't the same player after his knee injury, that is obvious to anyone who's seen him.

Anyway lets keep it on topic.

He's strong, can read the game well for his age, rarely gets skinned (See Petrov for an exception this season though) and can challenge.

I think his timing of the challenge can sometimes let him down as can his rashness but he's only a young lad and hasn't really played alongside a good experienced centre half for any length of time.

I find your constant sniping of our squad a bit boring. You love a fucking whinge don't you?

O0

He isn't strong though, nor can he read the game very well because if he could he wouldn't get caught out as much as he does with his positioning.

I don't snipe at our squad, I can just recognise an average player when I see one and the players you named are just that, except Owen of course but he isn't the same player after his knee injury, that is obvious to anyone who's seen him.

We'll never agree on this nor most things it seems.

I disagree with the positioning comment when he plays at centre half. I think it's a fair comment in regard to his spell at right back but not in his natural position. He has been caught out in the past but not excessively given his relative age and experience. Remember Carragher as a kid?

You talk of average players like you expect us to have world class players in every position. We're an average club at this moment in time so thats not going to happen AND, just think, if we did happen to sign a plethora of world class players what would you find to whinge about?

I'm also a fan of Milner and one of the few Smith fans on here too, albeit when he's played in his natural position so we're unlikely to agree on much going forward.

Baggio still thinks Dyer was worth keeping, after 8 years of massive underachieving  mackems.gif

No. If you don't like me dragging up comments by you, tough, as its something you seem to like doing yourself. Its also topical, its about comparing our central defenders.

If you want to start a thread about Dyer then go ahead and I'll happily pass comment.

whats the matter Baggio. Can't take people disagreeing with you, or dragging up your points, like you do to others ?

Steven Taylor is a defender for NUFC. Comparing him to other defenders at the club, and comparing your judgement of him to your judgement of others, is very much the point. If you don't like it, stop sniping about young players playing for the shirt, and moaning all the time.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me at all, I just prefer it to stay on topic.

You are talking about Taylor. Compared to who exactly, in our defence and generally players past and present at the club ? Like I said, its MY opinion that YOU are talking tosh, and moaning on as usual.

And if need be, I can find your quotes, thats if I can be arsed, I'm sure you don't mind as you like that sort of thing yourself.

I disagree with the positioning comment when he plays at centre half. I think it's a fair comment in regard to his spell at right back but not in his natural position. He has been caught out in the past but not excessively given his relative age and experience. Remember Carragher as a kid?

You talk of average players like you expect us to have world class players in every position. We're an average club at this moment in time so thats not going to happen AND, just think, if we did happen to sign a plethora of world class players what would you find to whinge about?

I'm also a fan of Milner and one of the few Smith fans on here too, albeit when he's played in his natural position so we're unlikely to agree on much going forward.

If Taylor is poor at RB it obviously means he's poor in is natural position of CB as well. Didn't you know that, already? ;)

Carragher is a player who suddenly came from nothing to being a top class centre back around the age of 26, I don't think anyone could have seen that happening and it gives hope for anyone out there that they have a chance of turning into a top class player, I don't think it's a good example of Taylor becoming a top class player though, more a "there's still hope" opinion.

I don't expect us to have World class players, at the same time I won't be fawning over average players either who are not good enough to get us where I want us to be, hard graft will only get us so far.

If Taylor is poor at RB it obviously means he's poor in is natural position of CB as well. Didn't you know that, already? ;)

So do you think Taylor will become a top class centre back? Or are you here just to back up your brother?

Carragher is a player who suddenly came from nothing to being a top class centre back around the age of 26, I don't think anyone could have seen that happening and it gives hope for anyone out there that they have a chance of turning into a top class player, I don't think it's a good example of Taylor becoming a top class player though, more a "there's still hope" opinion.

I don't expect us to have World class players, at the same time I won't be fawning over average players either who are not good enough to get us where I want us to be, hard graft will only get us so far.

Nobody is asking you to fawn over the players but it might be nice if you didn't appear to relish an opportunity to slag them off.

I want us to win the league as much as you do - there's not many players in our current squad that would make it into Man Utd's or Chelsea's that doesn't mean I pull them apart all of the time.

Don't get me wrong I've really disliked players wearing our colours before (Robert for one, as you well know) but I think you're being harsh on some decent players who we will need as the club moves forwards.

You are talking about Taylor. Compared to who exactly, in our defence and generally players past and present at the club ? Like I said, its MY opinion that YOU are talking tosh, and moaning on as usual.

And if need be, I can find your quotes, thats if I can be arsed, I'm sure you don't mind as you like that sort of thing yourself.

I've compared him to Faye because I think they share a similar role in defence (one big man and one technical player with Faye and Taylor being the strong defender) I'm not comparing him to anyone from the past as that has no reflection on how good they are today.

So do you think Taylor will become a top class centre back? Or are you here just to back up your brother?

I still think that Taylor could become a good player, to do that we'll need a settled defence with him in it and he'll have to forget what's happening regarding his contract, it might help him to ditch his dad when it comes to football.

I've compared him to Faye because I think they share a similar role in defence (one big man and one technical player with Faye and Taylor being the strong defender) I'm not comparing him to anyone from the past as that has no reflection on how good they are today.

you know why you started this thread, the same as I do. Stop backtracking. IMO you're talking bollocks.

I still think that Taylor could become a good player, to do that we'll need a settled defence with him in it and he'll have to forget what's happening regarding his contract, it might help him to ditch his dad when it comes to football.

How good though, Mick?

You're dismissing of Taylor and praise of shitheads and wastes of space like Dyer, is to be honest, laughable at best. Bet it really pissed you off today when Andy Gray praised Smith, and I know i asked you this earlier, but if you replied I may have missed it. I'm not sure, but I've got more to do than go looking through loads of posts for others' posts you see, which is quite sad.

How good though, Mick?

Not an easy question, not as good as I first thought he'd be but I don't totally blame him for that having to play with players like Bramble and Boumsong.  I think he could still become a full international but he's close to being at a stage in his career where he's got to make an impact at club level like he has done at times in the past.  I'm not even sure that he's going to get a regular game for us, if he's not going to get a regular game then I think it would help both him and the club to send him out on loan to play regular football.

You're dismissing of Taylor and praise of shitheads and wastes of space like Dyer, is to be honest, laughable at best. Bet it really pissed you off today when Andy Gray praised Smith, and I know i asked you this earlier, but if you replied I may have missed it. I'm not sure, but I've got more to do than go looking through loads of posts for others' posts you see, which is quite sad.

Not really, I can appreciate what Dyer done for this club in the past even if he was an arsehole who spent far too long injured, I also pointed out at the time when he left that we should have looked at replacing him with a player with pace as we'll struggle to get in behind defenders, I remember suggesting SWP at the time, now it looks like we're struggling because we didn't replace him properly.

Regarding Smith, I said he had a decent first half which he did, that doesn't necessarily make him a good player for us because of it, Parker had the odd good game in midfield but he wasn't god enough either so I won't be pointing to the odd game to try and prove myself right.

I also pointed out that you said previously that you wouldn't rate him when he was playing in midfield after a string of poor performances but seem happy to now after a decent 45 minutes.

I havent seen ST at first hand as I have been able to get to a match for a couple of years.

I think he could develop into a really cracking player with some decent guidance and on-pitch advice.

Sadly, for most of his time to date, he has had to learn the ropes from, and cope with playing alongside, Boumsong and Bramble.

I think if he had a constant run of games alongside, say a Tony Adam type (different era I know), I think he would learn to cut out the daftness such as that push on Jones. That was an utterly ridiclous decision to make and that is the kind of thing that he needs to cut out. What I would like to know is when he does something like that, does anyone immediately have a word with him to help him. I know you shouldnt but sometimes these young players need to be told.

I havent seen ST at first hand as I have been able to get to a match for a couple of years.

I think he could develop into a really cracking player with some decent guidance and on-pitch advice.

Sadly, for most of his time to date, he has had to learn the ropes from, and cope with playing alongside, Boumsong and Bramble.

I think if he had a constant run of games alongside, say a Tony Adam type (different era I know), I think he would learn to cut out the daftness such as that push on Jones. That was an utterly ridiclous decision to make and that is the kind of thing that he needs to cut out. What I would like to know is when he does something like that, does anyone immediately have a word with him to help him. I know you shouldnt but sometimes these young players need to be told.

Taylor went away on loan and worked with Adams, Adams thought Taylor was brilliant for his age.  The problem is that since that time Taylor hasn't really developed a great deal and he needs to, he's still got time.

Taylor went away on loan and worked with Adams, Adams thought Taylor was brilliant for his age.  The problem is that since that time Taylor hasn't really developed a great deal and he needs to, he's still got time.

Must admit I hadnt been aware of that. Saying Adams was a lucky guess then !

Maybe down to our coaching techniques then. Agree he has plenty of time though.

Maybe we should poach Adams from Pompey

Funny but I think Taylor might have better potential as a right back. He's a bit of a showmanshipsort and getting forward allows him to express this side of himself. At centre back it's way too dangerous.