Platini attacks owners of Man Utd and Liverpool.

Parky

Platini attacks Premier League's US owners

By Sophie Borland

Last Updated: 1:48am GMT 15/11/2007American owners of football clubs such as Manchester United and Liverpool have no interest in the game and only want to make money, the president of Uefa has said.

Michel Platini, the French head of European football's governing body, claims that the US tycoons will even try to change the rules to bring in more cash by halting matches for advertisement breaks.

Smiles better: Platini has criticised the Premier League's US owners

Platini, who has held his position since January, has accused businessmen George Gillett and Tom Hicks, who own Liverpool, and Manchester United's Malcolm Glazer of trying to "control football" despite knowing nothing about the sport.

In an interview on last night's Newsnight, he said: "Why don't they invest in football in America? You don't think they came here for the football. They don't know what football is.

"The popularity of football is now so high that investors are coming over and they consider football to be a product. They just want to make money."

Platini, a former captain of France, also warned that matches could soon be halted at regular intervals to allow for adverts in the same way that American football matches in the NFL are paused every 15 minutes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/11/15/sfnliv115.xml

Have to say Platini is right.

"Platini, a former captain of France, also warned that matches could soon be halted at regular intervals to allow for adverts in the same way that American football matches in the NFL are paused every 15 minutes."

Oh dear God...

"Platini, a former captain of France, also warned that matches could soon be halted at regular intervals to allow for adverts in the same way that American football matches in the NFL are paused every 15 minutes."

Oh dear God...

bluerazz.gif

He's stirring it, but his core point is right.

I think that's complete and utter bollocks tbh.

The American owners will be key in pressing for the Euro super league mark my words. They don't understand football as part of our national culture and identity and they are here for quick buck...They are oppurtunistic Yanks of the most irritating kind...Be off with them!  bluerazz.gif

Although I can understand and, to a point ,agree to what he says about foreign players disrupting national squad progression and the obscene amount of money some players make from the game.It's just a little bit rich coming from Frenchman who spent a lot of his career in Italy making enormous wages. ???

Anyone else get the impression that this guy just isn't up to the job? I don't think he's more than just a glamorous name that said all the right things to get elected. He comes out with all these sweeping statements, but doesn't show any kind of ability to get anything done.

He also seems to have an anti-Premiership and anti-big club agenda, but the game has changed and he has to work in partnership with people, not against them.

I haven't got a major problem with what he says beyond not knowing what their being American has to do with it. What about the Ruskies?

Greedy bastards are an international phenomenon.

I haven't got a major problem with what he says beyond not knowing what their being American has to do with it. What about the Ruskies?

Compared to the Yanks, Roman is a football purist.

Compared to the Yanks, Roman is a football purist.

Nevermind Abramovich.

Guest NUFCGator

This guy never disappoints when I want a laugh. What a moron. To an extent every owner is in it for the money since it's an investment and the funny part is all the owners of big clubs he targets in these rants probably are less worried about money than small clubs that have to turn a profit to keep the club up. And breaks every 15 minutes, what a fucking idiot. At least he knows a thing or two about making scapegoats to throw the blame on when you're clearly unpopular and don't have the solutions for all your problems.

Guest Sniffer

Once again, parky jumps on his anti-US soapbox which is the only reason he started this thread.

If platini had attacked the bloke at man city, you wouldn't have heard a peep out of parky.

This guy never disappoints when I want a laugh. What a moron. To an extent every owner is in it for the money since it's an investment and the funny part is all the owners of big clubs he targets in these rants probably are less worried about money than small clubs that have to turn a profit to keep the club up. And breaks every 15 minutes, what a fucking idiot. At least he knows a thing or two about making scapegoats to throw the blame on when you're clearly unpopular and don't have the solutions for all your problems.

I don't really see what's wrong with what he's saying... He doesn't want ignorant ass Americans coming over here and fucking up our football culture. That's all he's saying really. It's a fair point.  bluerazz.gif

I don't really see what's wrong with what he's saying... He doesn't want ignorant ass Americans coming over here and fucking up our football culture. That's all he's saying really. It's a fair point.  bluerazz.gif

right, he'd prefer if it snotty nosed frenchmen fuck up our footballing culture instead.