Jaaskelainen

olliemort
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Being older than Shay it'd not exactly be a signing for long would it?

32 isn't exactly old for a keeper though, Dave.

I know, just saying it's not exactly a significant improvement from that point of view. In fact it's going backwards.

That's not really the point. He's a good keeper but he wouldn't be our long-term number 1; Given's not going anywhere soon.

I'm not really interested in what he's done for Ireland, he's been poor for us all season though and didn't deserve to get his place back from Harper, i'm not sure why he's playing for Ireland in a pointless match either when he's been on the sick for us. Jussi was the best keeper in the Premiership last year imo and I'd happily have him here.

he's playd 4 games :lol: only conceded 7 as well, not exactly terrible, and he could do nowt for the 3 scored by citeh for starters.

He's been poor this season no matter how many games he's played, whether it's putting in his own net against Everton, getting outjumped by Anichebe which nearly cost us a goal, the Cacapa back pass moment where he didn't bother coming to collect, even Andy Johnsons goal where he stayed on his line rather than coming to intercept the cross.

He's been average for 18 months and the great saves he used to make are few and far between, the amount of times our back is put under pressure because he doesn't come and collect crosses very often has always been a worry and it's something Allardyce will look to sort.

Disagree with both your posts. Given has had one bad game and that was Everton, no others and as for slating shearer that's pretty much laughable  :lol:   

Perhaps you should watch more football then because Shearer probably should have retired a year before he did.

FYP.

I'm not really interested in what he's done for Ireland, he's been poor for us all season though and didn't deserve to get his place back from Harper, i'm not sure why he's playing for Ireland in a pointless match either when he's been on the sick for us. Jussi was the best keeper in the Premiership last year imo and I'd happily have him here.

he's playd 4 games :lol: only conceded 7 as well, not exactly terrible, and he could do nowt for the 3 scored by citeh for starters.

He's been poor this season no matter how many games he's played, whether it's putting in his own net against Everton, getting outjumped by Anichebe which nearly cost us a goal, the Cacapa back pass moment where he didn't bother coming to collect, even Andy Johnsons goal where he stayed on his line rather than coming to intercept the cross.

He's been average for 18 months and the great saves he used to make are few and far between, the amount of times our back is put under pressure because he doesn't come and collect crosses very often has always been a worry and it's something Allardyce will look to sort.

Disagree with both your posts. Given has had one bad game and that was Everton, no others and as for slating shearer that's pretty much laughable  :lol:   

Perhaps you should watch more football then because Shearer probably should have retired a year before he did.

FYP.

What does FYP mean?

That's not really the point. He's a good keeper but he wouldn't be our long-term number 1; Given's not going anywhere soon.

How long term are you looking? David James is 37 and playing as well as ever, no reason Jussi couldn't play at the top of his game for another 5 years.

Perhaps you should watch more football then because Shearer should have retired 2 years before he did.

In your opinion. Which i happen to think is wrong as usual.

How long term are you looking? David James is 37 and playing as well as ever, no reason Jussi couldn't play at the top of his game for another 5 years.

... Given will still be here won't he. If we're signing a replacement, he needs to be 19/20, not 32. Given and Jussi will finish at the same time, so Jussi can't be the long-term replacement.

Do you see what i mean? Sorry, i'm not explaining it very well.

... Given will still be here won't he. If we're signing a replacement, he needs to be 19/20, not 32. Given and Jussi will finish at the same time, so Jussi can't be the long-term replacement.

19/20 is mental. That's about Krul's age and very few if any keepers are ready for regular premiership football at that age. Would be surprised if there are many of that age who are even a noticable improvement on him at the moment.

'f*** you, prick'.

Yorkie's getting binned tbh.

Yorkie's probably bang right though to be fair Dave  :clap:

I know Baggio is entitled to his opinion but his opinions tend to be way out + wind people up, he could be an undercover Mackem? 

19/20 is mental. That's about Krul's age and very few if any keepers are ready for regular premiership football at that age. Would be surprised if there are many of that age who are even a noticable improvement on him at the moment.

Gahhhhh.

Given is 32.

Krul is 19.

When Given is 37,

Krul will be 24.        = Good replacement

Given is 32.

Jussi is 32.

When Given is 37,

Jussi will be 37.        = Bad replacement

:lol: Sorry, it's me. I wasn't making my point properly.

Perhaps you should watch more football then because Shearer should have retired 2 years before he did.

In your opinion. Which i happen to think is wrong as usual.

So you think Shearer was a great player until the end?

Or what about under Souness? Do you think he was a great striker still then when he only managed 7 goals in the Premiership that season? 3 of them were penalties too.

What about in his final season? 10 Premiership goals with 4 of them coming from the penalty spot, that makes it 10 goal from open play in 60 appearances in the Premiership in his last 2 seasons.

Since coming back from the Harewood clash, Given has missed 28% of our competitive games with a groin injury.

Not his fault, but that isn't good enough for a first choice goalkeeper in my opinion. The defence need to have a reliable mainstay behind them for almost every match. But Given has not provided that for since the start of 06/07 he has missed just under 50% of our games.

Unless he can get those groin problems behind him, he is never going to provide the consistency we need from a keeper, and for that reason alone we should get rid.

but surely if we want to sign a keeper, to play week in week out and keep here for as long as possible, shouldnt that keeper be under the age of 25? i would risk krul next season for the first couple of matches if hes good enough, that still gives us a couple of weeks to sign a new one because the transfer market is open after 4 or 5 matches aint it?

Guest optimistic nit

aye and we've gone from stegnth to stregnth since shearer left haven't we. shearer should have retired the january after souness took over, because he was fuck all without bellamy next to him. don't make me remind you though that without shearer in those one and a half years we would have been playing ameobi and one of chopera or luque up front, and something tells me that would have been less effective than a crippled shearer.

Guest optimistic nit

if we sign anyone we should sign ben foster. 26, would challenge given for the number 1 spot and yet isn't so old that signing him is virtually pointless. already better than jussi in my opinion as well. of course, he's not free, but we shouldn't make our decisions on who to sign on who is available for nowt.

if we sign anyone we should sign ben foster. 26, would challenge given for the number 1 spot and yet isn't so old that signing him is virtually pointless. already better than jussi in my opinion as well. of course, he's not free, but we shouldn't make our decisions on who to sign on who is available for nowt.

His injury record is too iffy. We'd need to give him 18 months to see if he can stay fit.

aye and we've gone from stegnth to stregnth since shearer left haven't we. shearer should have retired the january after souness took over, because he was fuck all without bellamy next to him. don't make me remind you though that without shearer in those one and a half years we would have been playing ameobi and one of chopera or luque up front, and something tells me that would have been less effective than a crippled shearer.

So you're arguing that he should have retired 18 months before he did rather than 2 years?

To argue that him not staying on would have meant we would have had to play Ameobi is liking saying we should be lucky Bramble was here or otherwise we would have played Ramage, he should have been moved on and replaced which would have been better for the team.

Guest optimistic nit

His injury record is too iffy. We'd need to give him 18 months to see if he can stay fit.

he's had a few injuries yes, but before that didn't he go something like 7 years without missing a game? i'm not going to rush to conclusions about givens fitness until its as obvious as the sky is blue that he'll never complete a season again. at the moment he's had one thigh injury and one reacurance of it.

he's had a few injuries yes, but before that didn't he go something like 7 years without missing a game? i'm not going to rush to conclusions about givens fitness until its as obvious as the sky is blue that he'll never complete a season again. at the moment he's had one thigh injury and one reacurance of it.

I'm talking about Foster.

For Given though, its been more than two injuries to the thigh and groin areas, it has been 5 or 6 times this year, missing 28% of the games he has played.

Guest optimistic nit

So you're arguing that he should have retired 18 months before he did rather than 2 years?

To argue that him not staying on would have meant we would have had to play Ameobi is liking saying we should be lucky Bramble was here or otherwise we would have played Ramage, he should have been moved on and replaced which would have been better for the team.

no. we kept shearer on not for sentimental reasons but because we needed him. we tried replacing him, we bought the wrong players, for whatever reasons. his replacement should have been bought by sir bobby, but it wasn't, you say we only kept shearer for sentimental reasons, and i've shown you the grim scenario that would have occured otherwise.

Guest optimistic nit

For Given though, its been more than two injuries to the thigh and groin areas, it has been 5 or 6 times this year, missing 28% of the games he has played.

so he's had 5-6 injuries a year yet still manages to play 3 in 4 games? how does that work exactly?

How can he miss the games he has played? That's impossible.