Anyone Remember Bobby Saxton and Adrian Heath?

Crumpy Gunt

Great words from Sam regarding scouting and building up a player database but surely he could've found better personnel than those two wankers?

They've hardly got a history of success.

Were they not coaches down the road rather than scouts?

Whatever they were they've hardly got glowing reputation's in the game nor was their time at the Scum very fruitful.

Bad appointments imo.

Great words from Sam regarding scouting and building up a player database but surely he could've found better personnel than those two wankers?

Whatever they were they've hardly got glowing reputation's in the game nor was their time at the Scum very fruitful.

Bad appointments imo.

Lets not give them a chance eh, thats the best way.

Bad appointments imo.

Nope. How many great young talents did they find at Sunderland? and if they were Coaches rather than Scouts how many players were significantly better after signing for them as a result of the coaching ability?

I can't recall many in recent time, excluding Phillips perhaps.

Bad appointments imo.

Nope. How many great young talents did they find at Sunderland? and if they were Coaches rather than Scouts how many players were significantly better after signing for them as a result of the coaching ability?

They were coaches at Sunderland, they are scouts here.  Don't see what your point is regarding their scouting ability

Bad appointments imo.

They were coaches at Sunderland, they are scouts here.  Don't see what your point is regarding their scouting ability

My point is we're in desperate need of establishing a successful scouting system, as allardyce has already said. So, surely you appoint scouts with experience? scouts with a proven pedigree?

Bad appointments imo.

My point is we're in desperate need of establishing a successful scouting system, as allardyce has already said. So, surely you appoint scouts with experience? scouts with a proven pedigree?

Saxton was on his scouting team at Bolton

Bad appointments imo.

Discovered and brought into the big league, by the fuckwit Glenn Roeder. The same bloke who did the same thing with Oba Martins.

Don't understand why people get so uptight about things like this. The buck stops with Allardyce, there's no reason why they can't or won't spot a good player or two.

And, "coaching ability" is bollocks IMO. How many "great coaches" have became good managers, and how many "great coaches" end up coaching poxy little clubs in the lower leagues. All they are is people doing what their boss tells them to do.

Absolutely and totally irrelevant points, sorry mate, I just don't agree with this sort of outlook and never will

What a pair of useless fuckers they were.

Now gainfully employed by...?

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/Newcastle-ready-for-transfer-spree.3504612.jp

I lived in Exeter while he was manager there and it was inevitable that he would move onwards and upwards, he really was that good.

Unfortunately for him (and the clubs he went to), when he did move on, he never matched those heights again.

Bad appointments imo.

Yes, but it isn;t so simple as that.

People like me - and maybe you - rated Craig Bellamy when he played for Coventry - and "professionals" like Souness didn't, even after he'd proved himself. So does that make me a good scout and Souness a shit manager [and scout]....... answers on a postage stamp .......  ;D

You get the gist though.

The whole scouting system is designed to attract promising youngsters to the club. You can evaluate their potential, but there comes a point where how good they become is up to themselves. That becomes something which is out of the scouts control. I'm not denying a comprehensive scouting network won't pay dividends, of course it will. But I can tell you for absolute certainty that the mackems have had a more comprehensive scouting network than we have had all the way through the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's than us, and where exactly did it get them ?

Nowhere. They didn't find many youngsters, Colin Todd is by far the best and the most major. Only Dennis Tueart really comes close. How many others of that standard have they found ? My personal opinion is this is not down to the fact that they had shit scouts, its down to the fact that they were a poorly run club with poor leadership and no ambition, which runs through a club from the top downwards, which creates a certain type of atmosphere within the club ie a drive to succeed and the setting of certian standards.

Things could have been very different for them if they had not sacked Brian Clough, when he was in charge of their youth team.

I've deviated from the point here, but sometimes a good player is obvious, you don't have to be a pro to see it, so we should not write off these people on the basis they have connections to the mackems.

:coolsmiley:

Bad appointments imo.

People like me - and maybe you - rated Craig Bellamy when he played for Coventry - and "professionals" like Souness didn't, even after he'd proved himself. So does that make me a good scout and Souness a s*** manager [and scout]....... answers on a postage stamp .......  ;D

You get the gist though.

The whole scouting system is designed to attract promising youngsters to the club. You can evaluate their potential, but there comes a point where how good they become is up to themselves. That becomes something which is out of the scouts control. I'm not denying a comprehensive scouting network won't pay dividends, of course it will. But I can tell you for absolute certainty that the mackems have had a more comprehensive scouting network than we have had all the way through the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's than us, and where exactly did it get them ?

Nowhere. They didn't find many youngsters, Colin Todd is by far the best and the most major. Only Dennis Tueart really comes close. How many others of that standard have they found ? My personal opinion is this is not down to the fact that they had s*** scouts, its down to the fact that they were a poorly run club with poor leadership and no ambition, which runs through a club from the top downwards, which creates a certain type of atmosphere within the club ie a drive to succeed and the setting of certian standards.

Things could have been very different for them if they had not sacked Brian Clough, when he was in charge of their youth team.

I've deviated from the point here, but sometimes a good player is obvious, you don't have to be a pro to see it, so we should not write off these people on the basis they have connections to the mackems.

Its a good job they DID sack Clough, NE5 - the history of both clubs AND the Tyne-Wear Derby would be totally different if he had gone on to manage them ; we would have felt like Man City fans do when looking at Man Utd - Clough would have made them Champs, no doubt about it.

There would have been no jokes about 'Scouse Mackems' then.....

Had he managed US, on the other hand.....Champs League Winners, NUFC....AND Fergie would have had a hard job trying to goad Mr Clough...!!

Bad appointments imo.

People like me - and maybe you - rated Craig Bellamy when he played for Coventry - and "professionals" like Souness didn't, even after he'd proved himself. So does that make me a good scout and Souness a s*** manager [and scout]....... answers on a postage stamp .......  ;D

You get the gist though.

Nowhere. They didn't find many youngsters, Colin Todd is by far the best and the most major. Only Dennis Tueart really comes close. How many others of that standard have they found ? My personal opinion is this is not down to the fact that they had s*** scouts, its down to the fact that they were a poorly run club with poor leadership and no ambition, which runs through a club from the top downwards, which creates a certain type of atmosphere within the club ie a drive to succeed and the setting of certian standards.

Its a good job they DID sack Clough, NE5 - the history of both clubs AND the Tyne-Wear Derby would be totally different if he had gone on to manage them ; we would have felt like Man City fans do when looking at Man Utd - Clough would have made them Champs, no doubt about it.

There would have been no jokes about 'Scouse Mackems' then.....

Had he managed US, on the other hand.....Champs League Winners, NUFC....AND Fergie would have had a hard job trying to goad Mr Clough...!!

I know. I went to a match at Joker Park with a mate of mine [a mackem] when Stokoe was manager and they were bottom of the first division, singing for Clough. I was shitting myself, and that was before he won the European Cup with Forest.

Its strange, but I was just a kid when he managed Hartlepool, but even so young as you could tell he was special, really special. There have been very few managers since I have thought that of, although Alex Ferguson was one, when he was at Aberdeen and I was near there for a while at the same time.

Clough and Taylor fascinated me. I was on about this with Midds a while back, who thinks on similar lines,  I think.

From my viewpoint, as I've said earlier, these appointments are unproven which to me is a risk given we're at the early stages of building an effective scouting network.

I'd have preferred to see us nick some people off clubs who already have good scouting networks and nick their databases. Appointments from clubs like Crewe, Arsenal, Celtic, Southampton..........clubs like that who seem to regularly turn out good young kids that end up in the first team squad.

These lads, if they have worked as coaches, will presumably have to start from scratch?