The booing perspective - Joey Barton has his say on us...

Benwell Lad
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Our next home game is against Arsenal and if we go out there and are greeted with that sort of atmosphere we’ll lose again."

If Arsenal go out there and are greeted by those sort of tactics they'll put 7 or 8 past us.

Barton shoudl shut his stupid fucking mouth.

I don't personally boo, although i have occasionally been heard to shout "{insert name of sub-par player] youu're shite".

But anyone who has actually been to games like Derby away, Red Shite home, Sun'lun away, has every right to boo at the end if they see fit - I and most other right minded fans who have ben to these games know the frustration.

However, one thing is for sure - players who are good enough, and try, and don't rely on false managerial platitudes to get by, don't get booed. Yes, the likes of Shola, Barton, etc have been booed - they've been/are shite. I can't recall anyone really booing Shearer, Rob Lee, etc, though.

If the manager/players fucks up royally, we should be able to tell them what we think. Anyone who thinks we shoudl just thank them for being our manager/players, keep our mouths shut and never complain about stuff at the game is a fucking idiot, and doesn't deserve to be called a fan.......its about passion, committment and ability. If some players or the manager don't have enough of these, they should be vocally told so, and then they should fuck off.

Yes we need consistency, yes we should support the team during the game.......but supporting a manager who is not good enough, or cheering after the game for players who have massively let us and themselves down, is fucking stupid, and fans who go on liek that deserve the likes of Allardyce, GEremi and Smith.

I don't personally boo, although i have occasionally been heard to shout "{insert name of sub-par player] youu're shite".

But anyone who has actually been to games like Derby away, Red Shite home, Sun'lun away, has every right to boo at the end if they see fit - I and most other right minded fans who have ben to these games know the frustration.

However, one thing is for sure - players who are good enough, and try, and don't rely on false managerial platitudes to get by, don't get booed. Yes, the likes of Shola, Barton, etc have been booed - they've been/are shite. I can't recall anyone really booing Shearer, Rob Lee, etc, though.

If the manager/players fucks up royally, we should be able to tell them what we think. Anyone who thinks we shoudl just thank them for being our manager/players, keep our mouths shut and never complain about stuff at the game is a fucking idiot, and doesn't deserve to be called a fan.......its about passion, committment and ability. If some players or the manager don't have enough of these, they should be vocally told so, and then they should fuck off.

Yes we need consistency, yes we should support the team during the game.......but supporting a manager who is not good enough, or cheering after the game for players who have massively let us and themselves down, is fucking stupid, and fans who go on liek that deserve the likes of Allardyce, GEremi and Smith.

...but that isn't what we're saying....We're asking people to SUPPORT the team during the game...for 90minutes...if we get beat 3-0 or lose 1-0 to a shite team and have been hopeless all game, then by all means show your dissent after the final whistle.

I seem to recall Man City away...last year or the year before....we were absolutely pitiful for 90minutes...yet as soon as stoppage time was signalled we suddenly became Real Madrid and had 5/6 golden chances to score and win the game.

It would never happen at SJP these days.

Guest redmayne

if we just played attractive football and tried and had players in their right positions it would be a lot easier to support and cheer

Guest alftupper

Can't be bothered reading all previous posts, and apologies if this has already been said.

It's unfortunate that Barton has chosen to make his remarks after the Portsmouth & Liverpool games, the performance for both was crap and perhaps Allardyce did deserve the criticism.  However he has a point regarding booing players - I sense the atmosphere at SJP as if everyone is just waiting for a players's mistake so the booing can begin. It must be like you sitting at work with your boss looking over your shoulder waiting for you to make a mistake so he can criticise your standards. (That may not be a good analogy but I'm sure you get my drift).

I've had it said to me by SJP staff that some players have found it difficult to play there due to crowd reaction.

(However Barton conveniently forgets that away results have been just as dire, and that's with the best travelling support in the Premiership!!)

The minute we go a goal down, the crowd effectively get behind the visiting team due to the booing, making it all the more difficult to fight back. You can understand why some players may thing "fuck it, I'm getting out of here".

And don't forget that the SJP crowd contains an element (arseholes) that find it acceptable to boo players before the games even begin, when the names are read out at the start of the fixture. (Not that members of the fan club would do that!)

No wonder some players can't settle and play football to their normal standard.

Get behind the team and start supporting, not picking fuc%&ng holes in it, and helping visiting teams.

Can't be bothered reading all previous posts, and apologies if this has already been said.

It's unfortunate that Barton has chosen to make his remarks after the Portsmouth & Liverpool games, the performance for both was crap and perhaps Allardyce did deserve the criticism.  However he has a point regarding booing players - I sense the atmosphere at SJP as if everyone is just waiting for a players's mistake so the booing can begin. It must be like you sitting at work with your boss looking over your shoulder waiting for you to make a mistake so he can criticise your standards. (That may not be a good analogy but I'm sure you get my drift).

I've had it said to me by SJP staff that some players have found it difficult to play there due to crowd reaction.

(However Barton conveniently forgets that away results have been just as dire, and that's with the best travelling support in the Premiership!!)

The minute we go a goal down, the crowd effectively get behind the visiting team due to the booing, making it all the more difficult to fight back. You can understand why some players may thing "fuck it, I'm getting out of here".

And don't forget that the SJP crowd contains an element (arseholes) that find it acceptable to boo players before the games even begin, when the names are read out at the start of the fixture. (Not that members of the fan club would do that!)

No wonder some players can't settle and play football to their normal standard.

Get behind the team and start supporting, not picking fuc%&ng holes in it, and helping visiting teams.

:thup:

Good post, Alf.

Guest interceptor

I gotta say that I thought Joey's comments was pretty spot on, expect for one thing. It is only a minority of fans who are full of bile and want to sacrifice the manage as soon as we lose two or three games in a row. The majority of fans can see the bigger picture. But the atmosphere at Liverpool was just poisonous from some fans. Yeah it was a s**t performance but I think the crowd made it worse cos the team just totally lost any confidence they had in the first place.

Sorry mate, but true supporters will SUPPORT the team through thick and thin. If you can't bring yourself to do that the club won't mind losing your "support" in favour of the "fucking idiots" who do support the club properly.

Away fans currently showing home fans how it is done.

What are you f****** on about now? That's how its always been, and always will be.

you talk as if they are seperate groups of people. many of those fantastic away supporters are self same whingers and bboers at home.

What are you f****** on about now? That's how its always been, and always will be.

you talk as if they are seperate groups of people. many of those fantastic away supporters are self same whingers and bboers at home.

Well, 6k of them, aye.

Disagree, in my experience.

i was commenting from experience also.

i was commenting from experience also.

Difficult to say then, certainly a lot of the booers arent travelling. I mean, it doesnt make much sense to be that disgusted by a performance one week then spend loads of money travelling and singing your arse off the next. If it is the same people they are cleary fucking idiotic fuckwits.

Guest eyeball

Barton shoudl shut his stupid f****** mouth.

I don't personally boo, although i have occasionally been heard to shout "{insert name of sub-par player] youu're s****".

But anyone who has actually been to games like Derby away, Red s**** home, Sun'lun away, has every right to boo at the end if they see fit - I and most other right minded fans who have ben to these games know the frustration.

However, one thing is for sure - players who are good enough, and try, and don't rely on false managerial platitudes to get by, don't get booed. Yes, the likes of Shola, Barton, etc have been booed - they've been/are s****. I can't recall anyone really booing Shearer, Rob Lee, etc, though.

If the manager/players fucks up royally, we should be able to tell them what we think. Anyone who thinks we shoudl just thank them for being our manager/players, keep our mouths shut and never complain about stuff at the game is a f****** idiot, and doesn't deserve to be called a fan.......its about passion, committment and ability. If some players or the manager don't have enough of these, they should be vocally told so, and then they should f*** off.

Yes we need consistency, yes we should support the team during the game.......but supporting a manager who is not good enough, or cheering after the game for players who have massively let us and themselves down, is f****** stupid, and fans who go on liek that deserve the likes of Allardyce, GEremi and Smith.

Sorry mate, but true supporters will SUPPORT the team through thick and thin. If you can't bring yourself to do that the club won't mind losing your "support" in favour of the "f****** idiots" who do support the club properly.

Spot on. This isn't rocket science or anything is it? Slagging people during the 90 mins of a game will never make them play better, not in million years. If you think you need to have a go, save it for after. I hardly get to any matches these days, but my match culture always said that you support the team for the full 90 mins.

Someone said earlier that some players get booed because they're shit. Well by all means have a go after the match at players who don't give it their best, but why sound off just because someone is not up to your standards? Believe me, I've seen some seriously crap players in a black and white shirt, but they were always backed as long as they were giving it 100%.

Even players, like Barton, who are generally thought of as good, but are off form or something - if they're doing their best then leave off them. Slagging them will never bring back their form.

Strange timing from Barton mind, given that he's struggling a bit himself, but I'm glad someone said what needed saying.

Teamtalk

But Frank Gilmour, chairman of the Independent Newcastle United Supporters' Association, believes Barton should shut up or risk facing the fans' frustrations himself.

"If (Barton) says we don't have the right to criticise, then he wants to learn," said Gilmour. "He obviously knows nothing about the north-east and its passion for football. That performance was from a clueless manager who did not know what he was doing, that was the fans' opinion.

"For (Barton) to come out and say that, he has lost it.

"He has been at the club five minutes and hasn't put in a good performance yet. For him to then turn around and criticise the fans is totally wrong. He should have kept his mouth shut.

"He will learn what happens after you criticise Newcastle fans. It takes a long, long time for us to forgive. I would be very, very surprised if he doesn't get a reaction at Blackburn."

Gilmour believes fans have been patient with Allardyce but insists there is a growing sense among supporters that the former Bolton boss is struggling.

"I was one of the fans who shouted 'you don't know what you're doing'," Gilmour added.

"We know how the game should be played - not as well as managers because they get paid a lot of money to actually organise the teams - but we could see that the balance was not right (against Liverpool) and that was an absolutely shocking performance."

:blush: Embarrassed for the club that this man is the voice of the Independent supporters, and embarrassed for myself to be associated with him as a supporter

I like the person point of view Joey have no right to go at us. The Liverpool performance was shit and we can say anything to say. Barton have no right to critises us. It is funny because all the mangers say durning summer time they will finish top six and when things not going well they come up with some s** reasons. I like Sam he seems a nice guy but surly he is struggling right now and the supporter rightly say that. Any one who says Sam is not struggling right now needs a mental check up.

Say what you will, I prefer a player who gets angry at booing (however it justified it may have been against Liverpool) and then backs it up with his best performance the next week than a player who drops his head and keeps telling the fans they deserve better without delivering.

He can run his mouth all he likes if it motivates him.  Just ignore it.

Say what you will, I prefer a player who gets angry at booing (however it justified it may have been against Liverpool) and then backs it up with his best performance the next week than a player who drops his head and keeps telling the fans they deserve better without delivering.

He can run his mouth all he likes if it motivates him.  Just ignore it.

fair point

Barton calling the fans vicious when he stubbed a cigar in a former team-mates eye is laugable.

Not really. Maybe poor choice of words but I agree with what he says.  Comparing what he has done in the past with what he says now is a little daft tbh. I can see why some would make that link but it is tenuous in reality.

Our fans are far better away from home than at SJP. Brother went today (with my ticket the sod) and he reckons it was an amazing atmosphere. On the other hand I just sat laughing at what i saw last week. It was laughable. I couldnt even be arsed to get annoyed. Apparently much better today.

Our away fans are widely regarded to be among the best in the country and yet our away form has been awful for years, so Barton's comments just sound like poor excuses from a player who has yet to do anything for his new club. 6000 travelled to Blackburn today and gave the players and manager their full support. Somehow I doubt Barton will talk about that, because it severely undermines his point.