Peter Crouch

Kev

Redknapp is too old and far too comfortable at portsmouth to consider  the challenge of managing the Toon.  He doesn't have the balls to try it so he opted for the wife is comfortable in the south card.

That's if he was ever really considered in the first place.

Exactly.

And some of these southern journos say Keegan is a "failure", "quitter", etc etc........he took on NUFC when nobody else had the balls. He stood in front of the country and said he would stand aside for someone else to do better than him as manager of England, instead of clinging on for his money like Hoddle, McLaren, Eriksson etc etc........

Keegans got more balls than most managers. Certainly more than east end barrow boy saggyjaw Redknapp

small club punching above weight by winning tophies and playing in europe

"big club" (in our case this is defined as well supported) who are punching way below weight, challenging for f*** all and have had 4 managers in 4 years.

I'd be tempted to go to Pompey I reckon.

if you seriously think that pompey are a bigger and better club than Newcastle, go. I'm sure they would be delighted to see you

They could do with a few more supporters.

you've missed the point. again.

I was not on about whether I should support the toon or pompey.

I was saying that in June 2008, if I was Peter Crouch and was being courted by both clubs, I would probably go there rather than come here. and I gave the reasons why I thought he would do that.

Well, I think that if he goes to pompey because he's played for Redknapp before then thats understandable to a degree.

And I think If he does it for any other reason, he's a tosser.

I don't miss the point at all. I get the point completely. If your standards have dropped so much lately that you think pompey are a bigger draw than NUFC, thats your problem, but it tells me you don't know very much.

I love the whole "you think someone might prefer that club, why don't you go and support them then!?". :lol:

What I like more is that some people (naming no names of course) think every player should see NUFC like we do, including 22 year old Croatians. :lol:

Having played over 100 times in europe, the vast majority since he was born, a lot more than Spurs, I think its a bit of a no brainer that he wouldn't have heard of us more than clubs such as Spurs.

Nice to see someone else who's expectations have fallen.

Do you never think your expectations are perhaps rather a little too high, rather than everyone else's being too low?

Sounds to me like you're setting yourself up for a fall. Or maybe just desperate to be proved right by having expectations the club will not be able to achieve...

I love the whole "you think someone might prefer that club, why don't you go and support them then!?". :lol:

What I like more is that some people (naming no names of course) think every player should see NUFC like we do, including 22 year old Croatians. :lol:

Having played over 100 times in europe, the vast majority since he was born, a lot more than Spurs, I think its a bit of a no brainer that he wouldn't have heard of us more than clubs such as Spurs.

Nice to see someone else who's expectations have fallen.

your right on this ...however you also sometimes make out that we are as big as liverpool without thinking of us as spurs in the equation.

This "Player X would choose club Y over club Z" argument is flawed, anyway.

The fact is that outside the top four, there really aren't a lot of defining factors between clubs, certainly not in the second tranche.

Big clubs of tradition - Newcastle, Everton, Villa, Spurs; clubs with a bit of nouveau wad : Man City, Portsmouth, West Ham; clubs where they pay way over the odds to get decent players: Boro; clubs where the wife won't let the player go because she doesn't fancy the shopping: Sunderland, Boro, Reading ..... you could put together a whole list of parameters these days.

The fact is that if they're not in the Champions League, there's really not a lot to distinguish between clubs these days, and the "X is a bigger club than Y" argument doesn't work like it might have done 20 years ago.

Agreed, I think different players want different things.  Some will want to feel wanted, some will just want money, others will want a lifestyle which fits whatever circumstances they have at the time.  A player who is married with no kids might want London, a player with kids might want something away from a city where his kids can get out and about.

I see your point. But a player who wanted the night life of London ? I would terminate the transfer as soon as I detected that.

Sign players who are dedicated to football and have hunger to succeed. Not players who look for the night life.

One thing Allardyce said , quite rightly too whatever happened to him in the end, is that players can live where they want when their career is over but while they are playing they should put football first and give it everything they have.

The fact is that outside the top four, there really aren't a lot of defining factors between clubs, certainly not in the second tranche.

Big clubs of tradition - Newcastle, Everton, Villa, Spurs; clubs with a bit of nouveau wad : Man City, Portsmouth, West Ham; clubs where they pay way over the odds to get decent players: Boro; clubs where the wife won't let the player go because she doesn't fancy the shopping: Sunderland, Boro, Reading ..... you could put together a whole list of parameters these days.

The fact is that if they're not in the Champions League, there's really not a lot to distinguish between clubs these days, and the "X is a bigger club than Y" argument doesn't work like it might have done 20 years ago.

Agreed, I think different players want different things.  Some will want to feel wanted, some will just want money, others will want a lifestyle which fits whatever circumstances they have at the time.  A player who is married with no kids might want London, a player with kids might want something away from a city where his kids can get out and about.

I see your point. But a player who wanted the night life of London ? I would terminate the transfer as soon as I detected that.

Sign players who are dedicated to football and have hunger to succeed. Not players who look for the night life.

One thing Allardyce said , quite rightly too whatever happened to him in the end, is that players can live where they want when their career is over but while they are playing they should put football first and give it everything they have.

nice sentiment.....unlikely in reality

Do you never think your expectations are perhaps rather a little too high , rather than everyone else's being too low?

Sounds to me like you're setting yourself up for a fall. Or maybe just desperate to be proved right by having expectations the club will not be able to achieve...

No. I don't.

I want to be proved right though. Just like you. But not to the extent that I would consider dropping expectations and moving goalposts.

Simple fact is that, being the 3rd best supported club in the country, and a "unique club" as Tron has clipped, there is no reason whatsoever that we should ever set our level lower than that and buying inferior players to the quality the current top 4 do.

Whats more, this is what Keegan thinks. He trumpeted it enough the last time, unless you think his expectations have also lowered ?

Pompey a bigger draw than Newcastle. Give me strength, what a joke.

You'll be saying next that Wimbledon were a bigger draw than ManU when they won the FA Cup in 1988 and Manu won nowt.

What a load of bollocks.

shame its right though.

shame its right though.

it's what we'd all like....highly unlikely to happen

shame its right though.

as I said. Shame its right though.

Sadly for you, its the policy the top 4 adopt and apply good character judgement to, but adopt your 2nd rate attitude and lower expectations instead if you like.

Unfortunately, they also have debts to sit alongside their trophies mackems.gif

The only thing unlikely to happen, is signing loads of 16 year old kids that all turn into the new Rob Lee

It doesn't matter if I can't do it in 10 seconds for you, sunshine and here's why :

If I was someone in charge of recruiting you I'd already have sussed out your hobbies and had that information prepared.  Or do you think players really go up to the negotiating table with their agent ready to make ridiculous demands at the 11th hour just for the fun of it?  Because if you do I'll be prepared, here and now, to finally agree with NE5 on something; namely his appraisal of your mental capacities.

Sunshine  bluelaugh.gif

The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think Tony Jimenez, Dennis Wise or Jeff Vetere know enough about Newcastle to sell the area to a potential signing.  If they do get somebody to do the preperation for them then we'll see in the coming weeks if they can bring the players to the club.  These three can probably identify players and sort out contracts to bring them here but if it comes to selling the club then I think they will have problems because of a lack of knowledge, this is where Keegan would do a brilliant job, if used.

If we're relying on Vetere, Wise or Jiminez reading from a script then I think we'll have problems.

shame its right though.

Sadly for you, its the policy the top 4 adopt and apply good character judgement to, but adopt your 2nd rate attitude and lower expectations instead if you like.

The only thing unlikely to happen, is signing loads of 16 year old kids that all turn into the new Rob Lee

i'm not going to bite this time NE5. we aren't going to agree and you're dragging every thread to that argument. you're ruining the board whilst making yourself appear a tosser

It doesn't matter if I can't do it in 10 seconds for you, sunshine and here's why :

If I was someone in charge of recruiting you I'd already have sussed out your hobbies and had that information prepared.  Or do you think players really go up to the negotiating table with their agent ready to make ridiculous demands at the 11th hour just for the fun of it?  Because if you do I'll be prepared, here and now, to finally agree with NE5 on something; namely his appraisal of your mental capacities.

Sunshine  bluelaugh.gif

The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think Tony Jimenez, Dennis Wise or Jeff Vetere know enough about Newcastle to sell the area to a potential signing.  If they do get somebody to do the preperation for them then we'll see in the coming weeks if they can bring the players to the club.  These three can probably identify players and sort out contracts to bring them here but if it comes to selling the club then I think they will have problems because of a lack of knowledge, this is where Keegan would do a brilliant job, if used.

If we're relying on Vetere, Wise or Jiminez reading from a script then I think we'll have problems.

indeed. Keegan has said himself that his way of doing transfers is to talk to players one to one , but didn't you take issue with  this when I mentioned it ?

I've got little doubt that if it came to a straight choice between Redknapp and Keegan, then Keegan would have to be involved to persuade Crouch to sign for Newcastle. He quite simply must be involved in these transfers.

Sunshine  bluelaugh.gif

I think it's two different things.

If a player wants to move here with family things like schools and area and all those little things will make a difference and that's where I think our three wise men will do the job. 

When it comes to selling the ground and the heart of the club and what it means to pull on the black and white then that's keegans domain.

What I'm saying is I think that they do two separate things entirely and it's possible to co-exist without WW3 kicking off.

shame its right though.

i'm not going to bite this time NE5. we aren't going to agree and you're dragging every thread to that argument. you're ruining the board whilst making yourself appear a tosser

congratulations for continuing to disagree with everything I say.  Some people will understand what I'm saying here, obviously not you though. I find it quite amazing that people like you call me a tosser for saying that I would like the club to sign what is, in my opinion, a good player that would come straight into the team and improve it.

Why don't you add something constructive to my comments instead of making silly insults ?

indeed. Keegan has said himself that his way of doing transfers is to talk to players one to one , but didn't you take issue with  this when I mentioned it ?

I've got little doubt that if it came to a straight choice between Redknapp and Keegan, then Keegan would have to be involved to persuade Crouch to sign for Newcastle. He quite simply must be involved in these transfers.

I don't think I would take issue about Keegan talking to players as I would hate to think that he wasn't involved although I don't think he should also do the scouting of players or the negotiation of transfer details.  I think the two lists of names that we had produced is a good idea especially as Keegan has been away from the game for a while and only been at the club a matter of months.

I agree about Keegan having to be involved in transfers, I think he'd finalise more deals than lose out to the competitors, especially those outside the top 4.

shame its right though.

congratulations for continuing to disagree with everything I say.  Some people will understand what I'm saying here, obviously not you though. I find it quite amazing that people like you call me a tosser for saying that I would like the club to sign what is, in my opinion, a good player that would come straight into the team and improve it.

Why don't you add something constructive to my comments instead of making silly insults ?

no i say you make yourself lookm like a tosser by turning every thread you enter into the same debate. yes i disagree with you and we are at the point where its pointless going on as we aren't gpoing to agree on that issue yet even when i agree with you on something else guess what you dredge up again.

I don't think I would take issue about Keegan talking to players as I would hate to think that he wasn't involved although I don't think he should also do the scouting of players or the negotiation of transfer details.  I think the two lists of names that we had produced is a good idea especially as Keegan has been away from the game for a while and only been at the club a matter of months.

I agree about Keegan having to be involved in transfers, I think he'd finalise more deals than lose out to the competitors, especially those outside the top 4.

I think Keegan should choose every player that signs for the club that is in contention for the first team. I also think that he should talk to them one to one, all of them. I think its the only way to do it. But you disagreed with this when I said it once before ?

Crouch might be tempted to sign for Redknapp, so if we want him, then Keegan has to get him on his own and talk to him.  A decent signing like this is what the club needs to open the door for others to see. Get Owen signed up, and a midfield player to replace Solano, and that would be 3 good steps forward.

I think Keegan should choose every player that signs for the club that is in contention for the first team. I also think that he should talk to them one to one, all of them. I think its the only way to do it. But you disagreed with this when I said it once before ?

Crouch might be tempted to sign for Redknapp, so if we want him, then Keegan has to get him on his own and talk to him.  A decent signing like this is what the club needs to open the door for others to see. Get Owen signed up, and a midfield player to replace Solano, and that would be 3 good steps forward.

do you think keegan has the verve anymore ? i'm not so sure.

If a player wants to move here with family things like schools and area and all those little things will make a difference and that's where I think our three wise men will do the job. 

When it comes to selling the ground and the heart of the club and what it means to pull on the black and white then that's keegans domain.

What I'm saying is I think that they do two separate things entirely and it's possible to co-exist without WW3 kicking off.

We'll have to agree to disagree because I don't think the three wise men will do a good enough job selling the area and no matter what others think it's very important as a player will train for 2 or 3 hours a day and play once or twice a week.  Other than that they have more free time than most of us on here and they need things to do during those free periods.

The 3 people who are involved will be able to rattle off a load of names but they'll not know anything like a local who knows the area well.  I probably know more about the areas they come from then they know about here and I couldn't go into too much detail about London even though it came up regularly in school and is all over the TV.

I think they will do a good job at selling where the club is trying to go but I think they will be lacking in a lot of details which could swing a signing, something I hope Keegan will bring to the table.

We'll have to agree to disagree because I don't think the three wise men will do a good enough job selling the area and no matter what others think it's very important as a player will train for 2 or 3 hours a day and play once or twice a week.  Other than that they have more free time than most of us on here and they need things to do during those free periods.

The 3 people who are involved will be able to rattle off a load of names but they'll not know anything like a local who knows the area well.  I probably know more about the areas they come from then they know about here and I couldn't go into too much detail about London even though it came up regularly in school and is all over the TV.

I think they will do a good job at selling where the club is trying to go but I think they will be lacking in a lot of details which could swing a signing, something I hope Keegan will bring to the table.

unless  it's london,madrid etc the area won't sell for the player...for us provincials it's purely about the club