Peter Crouch

Kev

From watching us play in this 4-3-1-2 formation last season it looked obvious to me that one of our main problems was the lack of width down the right with only Beye offering anything with the occasional burst forward, if you compare that to the left side of the pitch where we had Martins starting from wide left and Barton covering plenty of ground then I think it shows the lack of balance down the right.

What we need is a striker that can pull out wide right but have the physical presence to play the 'big man' if we need to change formation back to a 4-4-2 in a game, Crouch isn't going to offer us this and tbh I don't think he's much better than Viduka when he's on form.

The club should go for Gomis or Darren Bent instead IMO.

Some sense at last.

People wanting Crouch have been abducted by tall thin aliens and anally probed and seem hypnotically attracted to him.

The thought of an up and coming youngster who hasn't played in the prem is much more exiting but is also a huge risk... Should we just hedge our bets and go for the certainty or try and hit the jackpot????

Get both.

From watching us play in this 4-3-1-2 formation last season it looked obvious to me that one of our main problems was the lack of width down the right with only Beye offering anything with the occasional burst forward, if you compare that to the left side of the pitch where we had Martins starting from wide left and Barton covering plenty of ground then I think it shows the lack of balance down the right.

What we need is a striker that can pull out wide right but have the physical presence to play the 'big man' if we need to change formation back to a 4-4-2 in a game, Crouch isn't going to offer us this and tbh I don't think he's much better than Viduka when he's on form.

Personally i think Martins should be drifiting to both sides of our target man, he drifted to the right hand side against Spurs, i think its impotant that we have someone in the centre at all times to be honest someon more mobile as well. The lack of width down the right is down to Geremi not down to viduka.

I'd much prefer Bent over Crouch. He can head a ball, for a start.

There's a joke here, I just can't quite piece it together... Bent... Crouch... Bent... Crouch.

Don't forget the over that Dave carefully slipped in there as well!

People need to face facts. We're a mid table club with aspirations of moving into the top half. We have a manager who is possibly way past his sell by date and an owner who at present time seems more focussed on balance sheets than football teams. We have no chairman at present and have a set up that, at best, seems a little odd.

If Peter Crouch really wants to ditch Liverpool and Champions League football to end up with our rag bag club then i would gladly shake him by the hand.

Anyone who thinks this is a ragbag club with an over the hill manager should probably join Crouch at Portsmouth. There's a nice lttle club with shed for a ground that can easily accomodate a few more supporters. Plus they've got a jowelly faced cunt for a manager whose wife tells him where he can work :thup:

I believe in my club, but the people saying only a mug would choose Pompey over us are deluded, tbh.

Aye, especially when their posts are less than accurate when it comes to facts... :razz:

what facts are those

Not referring to you, mate. Hence why you weren't in that quote list. TRon's "25,000" comment when their ground only holds 20,000 and when he says they've got plenty of empty seats when I'm fairly sure I remember their ticket uptake for each game being right up there with us, not to mention the fact that they're desperate to build a new stadium to fulfill ticket demands.

he's not too far out though, pompey is a canny little town and the supporters are quite good, but they [and Southampton] aren't that substantial in numbers to sustain being a top club. Without serious cash injections they will possibly bomb when Redknapp calls it a day. Building a new stadium will be nice but so far as numbers go I don't see any point in them building a stadium bigger than about 35000 at the most, and thats being generous.  Crouch, being British, will know this. The only way he would prefer pompey to us IMO is because he's played for Redknapp before.

None of that changes the fact that what he posted was essentially bollocks, like, even if it fits your agenda.

That aside, I do hope we're still capable of attracting players like Crouch here ahead of clubs like Portsmouth, and I certainly don't buy into the thought that there's "no chance" a player would ever come here now ahead of their like (Villa, Spurs, Everton, etc.) even if all things were equal (wages, transfer fees, etc.) I just think for Crouch, personally, we'd be behind Pompey if it came to the crunch.

On top of Redknapp, they've just won the FA Cup, finished top 8 and are in the UEFA Cup and they might be able to offer more wages than us these days, rightly or wrongly.

How do you come to the conclusion it's bollocks? I sincerely believe that good English players would prefer us over Pompey despite their recent success. There are good reasons for believing it despite the fact I said their piddly little ground holds 25,000 instead of 20,000. That's missing the point.

It might be that Gaydamak might offer more money as a sweetener, but all things being equal I don't see why a player wouldn't thill to the idea of being in a Newcastle team led by the legendary Kevin Keegan rather than Droop Doggy Dogg.

Portsmouth have done well but they are like Blackburn under Jack Walker. A small club punching above their weight at the moment, but it will only last as long as their chairman keeps ploughing in the cash. One iffy season and how long will that continue?

small club punching above weight by winning tophies and playing in europe

"big club" (in our case this is defined as well supported) who are punching way below weight, challenging for fuck all and have had 4 managers in 4 years.

I'd be tempted to go to Pompey I reckon.

People need to face facts. We're a mid table club with aspirations of moving into the top half. We have a manager who is possibly way past his sell by date and an owner who at present time seems more focussed on balance sheets than football teams. We have no chairman at present and have a set up that, at best, seems a little odd.

If Peter Crouch really wants to ditch Liverpool and Champions League football to end up with our rag bag club then i would gladly shake him by the hand.

Anyone who thinks this is a ragbag club with an over the hill manager should probably join Crouch at Portsmouth. There's a nice lttle club with shed for a ground that can easily accomodate a few more supporters. Plus they've got a jowelly faced cunt for a manager whose wife tells him where he can work :thup:

I believe in my club, but the people saying only a mug would choose Pompey over us are deluded, tbh.

Aye, especially when their posts are less than accurate when it comes to facts... :razz:

what facts are those

Not referring to you, mate. Hence why you weren't in that quote list. TRon's "25,000" comment when their ground only holds 20,000 and when he says they've got plenty of empty seats when I'm fairly sure I remember their ticket uptake for each game being right up there with us, not to mention the fact that they're desperate to build a new stadium to fulfill ticket demands.

he's not too far out though, pompey is a canny little town and the supporters are quite good, but they [and Southampton] aren't that substantial in numbers to sustain being a top club. Without serious cash injections they will possibly bomb when Redknapp calls it a day. Building a new stadium will be nice but so far as numbers go I don't see any point in them building a stadium bigger than about 35000 at the most, and thats being generous.  Crouch, being British, will know this. The only way he would prefer pompey to us IMO is because he's played for Redknapp before.

None of that changes the fact that what he posted was essentially bollocks, like, even if it fits your agenda.

That aside, I do hope we're still capable of attracting players like Crouch here ahead of clubs like Portsmouth, and I certainly don't buy into the thought that there's "no chance" a player would ever come here now ahead of their like (Villa, Spurs, Everton, etc.) even if all things were equal (wages, transfer fees, etc.) I just think for Crouch, personally, we'd be behind Pompey if it came to the crunch.

On top of Redknapp, they've just won the FA Cup, finished top 8 and are in the UEFA Cup and they might be able to offer more wages than us these days, rightly or wrongly.

How do you come to the conclusion it's bollocks? I sincerely believe that good English players would prefer us over Pompey despite their recent success. There are good reasons for believing it despite the fact I said their piddly little ground holds 25,000 instead of 20,000. That's missing the point.

It might be that Gaydamak might offer more money as a sweetener, but all things being equal I don't see why a player wouldn't thill to the idea of being in a Newcastle team led by the legendary Kevin Keegan rather than Droop Doggy Dogg.

Portsmouth have done well but they are like Blackburn under Jack Walker. A small club punching above their weight at the moment, but it will only last as long as their chairman keeps ploughing in the cash. One iffy season and how long will that continue?

How can you argue that stating they "can't even fill a 25,000 stadium" (sic) when their capacity is only 20,000 isn't bollocks?

Or that you intimating that they have loads of empty seats, when they have an average PL attendance of upwards of 96% of their capacity isn't bollocks?

That was what that bit was all about, putting the arrogance of your tone aside.

We'll see what happens with the likes of Dunne, SWP and Crouch though I suppose, provided that we are actually in for all of them (and I hope we are). I hope that if we are in for all of them that we get them all, obviously, but the likes of your good self shouldn't be too disappointed if they choose Portsmouth ahead of us.

They've got far more going for them than you and NE5 would lead us to believe, the stability issue that bobbydazzla just mentioned is yet another thing they have over us, unfortunately.

what facts are those

How can you argue that stating they "can't even fill a 25,000 stadium" (sic) when their capacity is only 20,000 isn't bollocks?

Or that you intimating that they have loads of empty seats, when they have an average PL attendance of upwards of 96% of their capacity isn't bollocks?

That was what that bit was all about, putting the arrogance of your tone aside...

But I'm not arguing over whether their stadium is 20,000 or 25,000 capacity. It was a rough guess which isn't really the gist of my point in any case so if you want to call it bollocks fine, it's bollocks about small detail.

I won't be too disappointed if any of those players end up at Pompey because I'm not too keen on any of them tbh. Good luck to them if they go there. Doesn't change the fact that when he was interviewed for the job at Newcastle, it was generally regarded as Redknapp's last shot at a big club. It wasn't me reporting it that way at the time. Maybe they were all talking bollocks as well.

what facts are those

On top of Redknapp, they've just won the FA Cup, finished top seven and are in the UEFA Cup and they might be able to offer more wages than us these days, rightly or wrongly.

what agenda ?

I just think that he would be mad to choose pompey before us, for footballing reasons. They won't stay where they are without serious cash injections.

NE5:

Opinion, sorry.

I disagree entirely on the football reasons thing, to be honest, and they're owned by Gaydamak, who isn't short of a bit of cash.

well, aye, obviously. If he intends to do an Abramovic, and sells this idea, then they will attract Crouch and more big players.

:laugh:

so you are agreeing that cash talks then ?

Anyone who thinks this is a ragbag club with an over the hill manager should probably join Crouch at Portsmouth. There's a nice lttle club with shed for a ground that can easily accomodate a few more supporters. Plus they've got a jowelly faced c*** for a manager whose wife tells him where he can work :thup:

what facts are those

On top of Redknapp, they've just won the FA Cup, finished top seven and are in the UEFA Cup and they might be able to offer more wages than us these days, rightly or wrongly.

what agenda ?

I just think that he would be mad to choose pompey before us, for footballing reasons. They won't stay where they are without serious cash injections.

Peope are actually discouting the fact that our stadium and crowd base will actually be a huge selling point to a plyer who's used to being at a big club - Portsmouth may be able to offer more next season career wise but im sure he;ll be thinking of the season after that as well....our crowd would be less important to aplayer who knows no different.

Imagine playing in front of 45k rabid fans week in week out, would it be easy to swap that atmosphere for a club with maybe half that capacity and half that passion?

Also Pompey seemd to have hit a pinnacle - even Redknapp admitted that and topping an FA cup and 8th place finish (?) would be near impossible with there limited resources. Its certainly not a club which is geared towards long term success like ours is. there is a reason why we are the 14th richest club in the world and that will work in our advantage.

true.

Unfortunately some people - for some reason - are unable to see this or unable to admit it.

small club punching above weight by winning tophies and playing in europe

"big club" (in our case this is defined as well supported) who are punching way below weight, challenging for fuck all and have had 4 managers in 4 years.

I'd be tempted to go to Pompey I reckon.

if you seriously think that pompey are a bigger and better club than Newcastle, go. I'm sure they would be delighted to see you

They could do with a few more supporters.

what facts are those

That was what that bit was all about, putting the arrogance of your tone aside.

We'll see what happens with the likes of Dunne, SWP and Crouch though I suppose, provided that we are actually in for all of them (and I hope we are). I hope that if we are in for all of them that we get them all, obviously, but the likes of your good self shouldn't be too disappointed if they choose Portsmouth ahead of us.

They've got far more going for them than you and NE5 would lead us to believe, the stability issue that bobbydazzla just mentioned is yet another thing they have over us, unfortunately.

massive lowering of expectations going on here.

It seems even some southern writers think more of our club than some fans

. From Steve Howard when 'arry was linked to Newcastle:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/sunsport_columnists/article674951.ece

HARRY REDKNAPP does not want to live the rest of his life thinking “If only ...”

There cannot be any “if onlys” when you are a football manager.

The career, for most, is too short. The profession, as we have seen this season, is littered with corpses.

That is why Redknapp should take the Newcastle job. A millionaire several times over, he doesn’t need the money.

Sure, there’s a lot of it — some £20million over four years — and we’re all partial to a pound note.

But what he DOES need before he calls it a day is the knowledge that he was given a chance to crack it at a big club.

Whatever we say about Newcastle and the lack of trophies over the last 50 years, an average gate of 52,000 is compelling evidence that this is no ordinary club.

Apparently it's "arrogant" to think the same as this guy who is clearly a decent hack even if it's The Sun.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/sunsport_columnists/article674951.ece

HARRY REDKNAPP does not want to live the rest of his life thinking “If only ...”

The career, for most, is too short. The profession, as we have seen this season, is littered with corpses.

That is why Redknapp should take the Newcastle job. A millionaire several times over, he doesn’t need the money.

Sure, there’s a lot of it — some £20million over four years — and we’re all partial to a pound note.

But what he DOES need before he calls it a day is the knowledge that he was given a chance to crack it at a big club.

Whatever we say about Newcastle and the lack of trophies over the last 50 years, an average gate of 52,000 is compelling evidence that this is no ordinary club.

Apparently it's "arrogant" to think the same as this guy who is clearly a decent hack even if it's The Sun.

amazing. A southern journo praising the club. How many people get their knickers in a twist when they slate the club and respond by saying how much bigger and better we are than they [these tossers] think ?

Make your mind up time beckons, and don't bother asking Jimmy Greaves how he thinks we've always been a small club  bluelaugh.gif

Who mentioned Martin Samuel ?

Anyone who thinks this is a ragbag club with an over the hill manager should probably join Crouch at Portsmouth. There's a nice lttle club with shed for a ground that can easily accomodate a few more supporters. Plus they've got a jowelly faced c*** for a manager whose wife tells him where he can work :thup:

what facts are those

what agenda ?

Peope are actually discouting the fact that our stadium and crowd base will actually be a huge selling point to a plyer who's used to being at a big club - Portsmouth may be able to offer more next season career wise but im sure he;ll be thinking of the season after that as well....our crowd would be less important to aplayer who knows no different.

Imagine playing in front of 45k rabid fans week in week out, would it be easy to swap that atmosphere for a club with maybe half that capacity and half that passion?

Also Pompey seemd to have hit a pinnacle - even Redknapp admitted that and topping an FA cup and 8th place finish (?) would be near impossible with there limited resources. Its certainly not a club which is geared towards long term success like ours is. there is a reason why we are the 14th richest club in the world and that will work in our advantage.

true.

Unfortunately some people - for some reason - are unable to see this or unable to admit it.

Thing is NE5 that this is only really applicable to Pompey and maybe blackburn and at a push Everton - our real rivals are Man C, Villa and Spurs who do have more to offer than us in the short term and they have a head start on us for the long term becasue all arent short of a few bob and have reasonable stadium capacities and all are definitively on the up.  Thats when the real battel for transfers begin.

what facts are those

what agenda ?

NE5:

Opinion, sorry.

I disagree entirely on the football reasons thing, to be honest, and they're owned by Gaydamak, who isn't short of a bit of cash.

well, aye, obviously. If he intends to do an Abramovic, and sells this idea, then they will attract Crouch and more big players.

I've never disagreed, have I?

I just loved the utter lack of subtlety in your comment.

Some sense at last.

People wanting Crouch have been abducted by tall thin aliens and anally probed and seem hypnotically attracted to him.

Alternatively - and better - is buying Crouch and a quality replacement for Solano

what facts are those

what agenda ?

NE5:

Opinion, sorry.

I've never disagreed, have I?

I just loved the utter lack of subtlety in your comment.

make that a double whammy then  ;D

amazing. A southern journo praising the club. How many people get their knickers in a twist when they slate the club and respond by saying how much bigger and better we are than they [these tossers] think ?

Make your mind up time beckons, and don't bother asking Jimmy Greaves how he thinks we've always been a small club  bluelaugh.gif

Well if a southern journo thinks Redknapp should have left Pempey for Newcastle because "it's no ordinairy club" maybe the idea that Newcastle are still a big draw isn't bollocks after all? Mind we shouldn't need these fuckers to tell us it.

what facts are those

what agenda ?

true.

Thing is NE5 that this is only really applicable to Pompey and maybe blackburn and at a push Everton - our real rivals are Man C, Villa and Spurs who do have more to offer than us in the short term and they have a head start on us for the long term becasue all arent short of a few bob and have reasonable stadium capacities and all are definitively on the up.  Thats when the real battel for transfers begin.

Everton are a big club by the way.

They nicked a good manager from us once, have won a few league titles and FA Cups in the last few decades, and have a big support in a big city.

They are more than capable of doing it again if they get their act together and really go for it, list them among those teams you name.

Clubs like pompey are 2nd string, like Blackburn, the smoggies etc they need someone to put money in if they want to live with the big boys.

Did anybody think the smogs were a better bet than we were when they won the League Cup btw ?

Well if a southern journo thinks Redknapp should have left Pempey for Newcastle because "it's no ordinairy club" maybe the idea that Newcastle are still a big draw isn't bollocks after all? Mind we shouldn't need these fuckers to tell us it.

put it in a different colour just to make sure nobody misses it