Has Big Sam changed his approach?

TRon

I think Sam did change is tactical approach, however, he hasn't changed it completely. By this I mean that he adapts his tactical approach depending on the opposition. For example, Blackburn are a very physical side, therefore, Sam felt that we needed to take a physical/attacking approach to facing them and Arsenal don't like playing against physical sides who put pressure on them and don't give them time on the ball and from experience with Bolton Sam moulded to team to carry out those aims during the game last night.

We may see a completely different set of tactics against Birmingham, who are a weaker team and can probably be broken down with counter attacking and direct passing play. But we will have to see how Big Sam approaches the game. I think you could only say that Sam has changed his tactical approach completely after watching the next 5 games home and away. We will be able to see a lot clearer about his view of the team and plans for future success after the December spell.

I just hope he doesn't play Viduka up front and throw Smith back to midfield. Smith was excellent and should retain his position as a striker, whereas butt was shite and should be dropped. We should get a better defensive midfielder.

Guest Brewcastle

Howay The Lads! h boring Bolton Football....

-We love "the attacing style", don.let Sam try to get Geordies passioniated wit

Not entirely sure what you are trying to say here but personally speaking I'd be happy if we just managed to get a few wins under our proverbial belt before worrying about how attractive and attacking our game is. We're not in a position right now to focus on how attractive our forward play is, if we have to be boring to get the points we need then fine. The more consistent we are in that respect the more the team will gel, and the more the team gels and gets to know each other the more things will come together, including how attacking and attractive we'll be. Consistency is the key.

Not entirely sure what you are trying to say here but personally speaking I'd be happy if we just managed to get a few wins under our proverbial belt before worrying about how attractive and attacking our game is. We're not in a position right now to focus on how attractive our forward play is, if we have to be boring to get the points we need then fine. The more consistent we are in that respect the more the team will gel, and the more the team gels and gets to know each other the more things will come together, including how attacking and attractive we'll be. Consistency is the key.

I tend to think that whenever I read any of his posts.

Guest Knightrider

I don't think he has to be honest, nor have the players. I just think the bad run has came to an end as they always do.

(Whether we can now go on a good run to completely cancel that out remains to be seen, me I personally feel our inconsistent form will be a feature throughout the remainder of the season until the manager can bring in more ideal or better suited players to play the way he clearly wants us to which is when we'll start to see real changes)

I certainly haven't noticed anything different anyway.

Although the attitude on the stands has certainly changed since Barton's comments, maybe that has helped. Who knows.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Against Birmingham there was a lot of long diagonal balls to the edge of the 18 yard box.

Its percentage football, but no one should be surprised because thats Allardyces style (or lack of style, to be honest)

I don't think he has to be honest, nor have the players. I just think the bad run has came to an end as they always do.

(Whether we can now go on a good run to completely cancel that out remains to be seen, me I personally feel our inconsistent form will be a feature throughout the remainder of the season until the manager can bring in more ideal or better suited players to play the way he clearly wants us to which is when we'll start to see real changes)

I certainly haven't noticed anything different anyway.

Although the attitude on the stands has certainly changed since Barton's comments, maybe that has helped. Who knows.

Well it's probably changed due to the players storming the opposition half instead of camping in defensive fear at the likes of Derby, Sunderland et al.

It would be interesting to compare our shots and corner ratio pre-Blackburn and post Blackburn.

SAM MISSILE

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE Allardyce: When top bosses go direct it's called 'long pass' but when I do they call it 'long ball'

By Simon Bird 10/12/2007

Related Articles

* More Football

* What are you talking about? Get published

* Sport pictures

Newcastle 2

Birmingham 1

Sam Allardyce is fed up with being labelled the High Priest of bully-boy football.

Ask a question about playing style and tactics and the Newcastle boss immediately gets prickly.

Advertisement

Click here to find out more!

His reign at St James' Park has been undermined as much by his reputation as a route-one merchant as disappointing results.

So having eased the results problem with a less-than-convincing injury time win, Allardyce has gone on the offensive about his image problem, insisting he is misunderstood and misrepresented by rival bosses.

He reckons when Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool hoof it long, it's seen as a "long pass." When his sides do it, everyone interprets it as a "long ball."

On the evidence of this win Allardyce and his players still have a lot of work to do to become top-eight contenders and make the game look beautiful again. But any victory these days is welcome on Tyneside

Defensive mistakes, this time from David Rozenhal, coupled with Birmingham looking the more accomplished passing side, gave Newcastle a big scare until Habib Beye headed the winner in the 91st minute.

It's wasn't pretty or particularly enjoyable to watch in the freezing temperatures and relentless sleet, but for the Geordies it was a result that lifted the gloom.

Allardyce, who used strong-arm tactics to turn Bolton into a Premier League force, said: "The reason I came here was to get more money to buy more quality players and make a better team and play a better way. But ultimately there's only one way to play and that's to win.

"Everyone keeps going on about this Bolton style, but we've never played it since I've been here. Some of the perception is just because I've come from Bolton. But we don't play like that because we haven't got that sort of player.

"It does rankle that I'm labelled the way I am. You get nailed with that tag and it comes from other managers because we beat them at Bolton on a regular basis.

"But at Bolton we played with Djorkaeff, Okocha, Hierro, N'Gotty, Campo, world-class players. The perception of how we played came only after we had beaten big teams like Liverpool or Chelsea. Chelsea played exactly the same way as we did - to win games when they needed to. That wasn't deemed 'long ball.' It was deemed 'long passing,' so that's okay.

"If you look at Arsenal on Wednesday night, how many long balls did they play to Adebayor? Lots is the answer because I've got the ProZone stats to prove it.

"People listen too much to the other managers. The perception is that Liverpool and Arsenal play all this pretty stuff because that's what's generally put around the world of football.

"I've always had to go to a football club and pick a system to suit the players. If I wasn't flexible, I wouldn't have got where I am today."

Newcastle needed an Obafemi Martins penalty to get them back in the game after the impressive Cameron Jerome had put Birmingham ahead following Rozenhal's slip.

The winner came when Senegal defender Beye nipped in at the near post to head home Emre's fine delivery from a corner.

Allardyce admitted: "Six months down the line, people will look back and say this was a big week. It's a big result and a big win."

Consolation for Birmingham manager Alex McLeish lay in the manner of his side's performance which suggested that with more resilience they will survive in the top flight this season.

Striker Jerome said: "Everyone is going to be full of enthusiasm when a new manager comes in - that applies to every club.

"We've a good group of lads, a good spirit, and a good manager. He believes in team spirit, and a strong work ethic and everyone here is confident we can get a few points over Christmas looking at the fixtures coming up."

Blues play Reading (home), Bolton (away), Boro (home) and Fulham (home) in their next four matches.

Newcastle also have a trio of winnable games to come, starting at Fulham next week, then Derby at home, and a trip to Wigan.

Allardyce was told to stay at home because of his chest infection and added: "I was ill. I've wore the hat to keep pneumonia away, the chest is that bad. If I ended up getting soaking wet I could have been in big trouble."

he's definately got a point - not that we have played much good football this season, but everyone are yelling "bolton style" way too soon, it really is a joke....

and whereas i don't want us to play a long ball game every week, one of our main problems for years has been the lack of cynicism, and i still hope and think that sam will bring this to the club!

Guest watersedge

Season ticket holder here - it's bloody awful to watch - but we are lacking in key areas with makeshift players... so I suppose good things come to those that wait???

The reason I came here was to get more money

Mercenary!

Seriously though:

"I've always had to go to a football club and pick a system to suit the players. If I wasn't flexible, I wouldn't have got where I am today."

If the reason we have been so poor (over the season) was because he was trying to get players to adapt to a system he is convinced is for the best in the long run, then I would have some patience & understanding, even if personally I think he'd be wrong in doing that. However if he honestly thinks the system he's been using is the one which best suits the current players, then you have to seriously question his tactical abilities.