Hands up to Chris Mort and the new board

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

I am all for the new board but lets not KID anyone they are doing this because we are not selling out. There is no such thing as a season ticket waiting list. The old board didnt do this because they didnt have to.

Explain the sub 50k attendances last season then?

This isn't a new problem due to the new board.

I am not saying it is the new boards fault. A lot of people had enough after last season & did not renew there season tickets. I belive that there are less season ticket holders @ SJP now than there were last season. The club has been hard selling tickets most of the season for all games, the cracks were there last season you could tell this by the amount of adverts on the radio.

So why say the old board didn't do it because they didn't have to do it?

They should have done something like this around this time last season.

They didnt have to chase the money as hard as the club had sold a lot more season tickets last season. This year we haven't I think that is obvious to anyone, that is why we are doing this offer, is that not obvious?

The king of sorting people out with tickets to suit all pockets was Bob Murray the amount of different offers they had was unbelievable &  the amount work they put into get young fans in at low £££'s set the standard about 5 years ago. About the same time many Newcastle fans were taking the piss out of Sunderland for sending letters to schools or kids in for a quid.

They didnt have to chase the money as hard as the club had sold a lot more season tickets last season. This year we haven't I think that is obvious to anyone, that is why we are doing this offer, is that not obvious?

The king of sorting people out with tickets to suit all pockets was Bob Murray the amount of different offers they had was unbelievable &  the amount work they put into get young fans in at low £££'s set the standard about 5 years ago. About the same time many Newcastle fans were taking the piss out of Sunderland for sending letters to schools or kids in for a quid.

I'd expect we'd have sold thousands less season tickets if we didn't have Mort at the club today.  So far Ashley and Mort have been spot on with every decision they've made and are suffering for what happened before they arrived.

and are suffering for what happened before they arrived

They are, I remember walking to the ground last game of last season  & the amount of people saying they were chucking it was very high that day. How many followed through we dont know but I think it obvious the number of season tickets as probably as low as it been with the grounds current capacity.

I am all for the new board but lets not KID anyone they are doing this because we are not selling out. There is no such thing as a season ticket waiting list. The old board didnt do this because they didnt have to.

I am not saying it is the new boards fault. A lot of people had enough after last season & did not renew there season tickets. I belive that there are less season ticket holders @ SJP now than there were last season. The club has been hard selling tickets most of the season for all games, the cracks were there last season you could tell this by the amount of adverts on the radio.

So why say the old board didn't do it because they didn't have to do it?

They should have done something like this around this time last season.

Season ticket sales may be down slightly but our attendances so far this season have been better than they were last season to be honest so the problem was clear to see yet the previous board did nothing to try and halt the decline.

Season ticket sales may be down slightly but our attendances so far this season have been better than they were last season to be honest so the problem was clear to see yet the previous board did nothing to try and halt the decline.

The average age of our crowd must be higher than it's ever been, that's not a good thing and may be part of the reason for the atmosphere not being as good as it was years ago.

Season ticket sales may be down slightly but our attendances so far this season have been better than they were last season to be honest so the problem was clear to see yet the previous board did nothing to try and halt the decline

Season tickets are down a lot.  The problem only became really apparent at the end of last season when many long standing season ticket holders said no more. The previous board were not really interested in selling the few thousand matchday tickets & were quite happy to whack a few adverts on the radio in the hope that would get the extra sales needed. They had the cash in the bank off the  season ticket sales.

Season ticket sales may be down slightly but our attendances so far this season have been better than they were last season to be honest so the problem was clear to see yet the previous board did nothing to try and halt the decline

Season tickets are down a lot.  The problem only became really apparent at the end of last season when many long standing season ticket holders said no more. The previous board were not really interested in selling the few thousand matchday tickets & were quite happy to whack a few adverts on the radio in the hope that would get the extra sales needed. They had the cash in the bank off the  season ticket sales.

I'm not so sure if season ticket sales are down as much as you're making out to be honest. Even so the previous board should have been pushing harder to sell all remaining tickets, poor management, thank fuck they have gone.

Cheap Newcastle tickets for kids Dec 9 2007  by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

A SHOCKING statistic is the inspiration for Chris Mort’s crusade to attract the kids back to St James’s Park.

The United chairman is set to launch new part-season tickets aimed at the children he knows have been priced out of the Premier League.

“At the Liverpool game (on November 24), we had 52,000 – a fabulous attendance, but less than five per cent were under the age of 16,” reveals Mort.

That frightening fact has prompted him into a change of plan.

“Originally, I didn’t think we’d do half-season tickets,” he said. “I just thought that if people want to come along for games in the second half of the season, they could apply for tickets and it would be quite good to mix up the fanbase.

“But now I think we will do half-season season tickets for a couple of blocks and sell them cheaply to kids – maybe £50 for secondary school kids and £25 for junior school kids.

“What do we want the profile of the club to look like in 10 years’ time? It would be good to get today’s kids coming to the ground and becoming Newcastle United supporters.

“Hopefully, that might make a good Christmas present.

“Sir Bobby Robson has been telling me how, as a boy of less than 10, he’d come on the bus with his dad to games. And I’m thinking: ‘There are some little Bobby Robsons out there today, but they’re not coming!’”

Mort adds: “We’re also setting up a Newcastle United Foundation – a registered charity that will be the focus of all the community and charitable work we do.

“As part of that, we are going to start our own Football In The Community Scheme.

“The Premier League and the Football League ended the old FITC scheme – which, although it bore our name, was run more or less independently of us.

“The new one will be more of a Newcastle United scheme.”

i believe this is an absolutely smashing decision by the club.  getting in the kids will preserve the fanbase for a long time to come.

We've also been giving away shedloads of tickets for nowt this season as well in order to try and keep the attendances up.

My cousins football team have had them on more than one occasion and actually got offered (and accepted) 50 free tickets on friday morning for the Birmingham game sat in Level 7 next to the away fans ie the tickets Brum didn't take.

I'm not against getting the kids in cheap etc, but it sticks in my throat that i have paid £596 for this season and am also getting £70 a month taken by DD by the club for next years ticket while at the same time the club are giving them away for nowt.

We've also been giving away shedloads of tickets for nowt this season as well in order to try and keep the attendances up.

My cousins football team have had them on more than one occasion and actually got offered (and accepted) 50 free tickets on friday morning for the Birmingham game sat in Level 7 next to the away fans ie the tickets Brum didn't take.

I'm not against getting the kids in cheap etc, but it sticks in my throat that i have paid £596 for this season and am also getting £70 a month taken by DD by the club for next years ticket while at the same time the club are giving them away for nowt.

fair comment & i respect that. perhaps it helps to think of it as investing in the future fanbase of the club.  we have some sports teams here in chicago that have absolutely floundered financially & in terms of results b/c of the short-sighted greed of the owner. 

I have an NUS card so am entitled to the £200 10 game tickets in blocks a and b in level 7, or the 130 quid tickets in block h.

Can someone advise me whether it is worth forking out an extra 70 notes for blocks a/b rather than h? Cheers in advance.

I had herd stories about freebies, I dont think people realise how many matchday tickets are available for Newcastle games now.

I had herd stories about freebies, I dont think people realise how many matchday tickets are available for Newcastle games now.

makes me wish i could just pop over the pond for a weekend!

Guest Toon Barmy

They have been advertising for the last 4 seasons, the season before Robson was sacked. There has been NO season ticket wait for at least 4 years.  Me and my mates got  4 seats together that following season, by phoning up, no list, no wait.  The list was 10 years ago, those days are gone.

Do you really think selling tickets for £2.50 a game is a cynical ploy by the club to claw some money back?  That wont cover a lot wages will it?

I have an NUS card so am entitled to the £200 10 game tickets in blocks a and b in level 7, or the 130 quid tickets in block h.

Can someone advise me whether it is worth forking out an extra 70 notes for blocks a/b rather than h? Cheers in advance.

if im thinking right here. block H would be next to the away fans. the other two right at the other end. if im right, i would personally not bother, and get the block H one.

although i dont no much about the blocks in the milburn

They have been advertising for the last 4 seasons, the season before Robson was sacked. There has been NO season ticket wait for at least 4 years.  Me and my mates got  4 seats together that following season, by phoning up, no list, no wait.  The list was 10 years ago, those days are gone.

Do you really think selling tickets for £2.50 a game is a cynical ploy by the club to claw some money back?  That wont cover a lot wages will it?

As you haven't bothered to read the offer, I haven't got the patience to debate the economics of it all.