Mort: I’m in charge

Mr Logic

'The vast majority of people sensed we needed a change.'

Does that make it right with Shepherd as well then?

Thats how i see it as well, thank god there's someone who' seeing the same limp wristed retorts as me. Thats pretty much what they're saying!

Do you know NE5s' link with the old board Dave? Is Ne5 freddy sheperd? He got pretty touchy when i spelt his name wrong. Not seen so much denial since the OJ simpson trial.

The Emirates will pay itself off, that's why it's not a massive financial risk. The naming thing has already secured Arsenal £150m or so, so they're well on their way to securing enough money to pay for it.

And the other three, even though they have debts that would be massive risks for most clubs, they've got rich owners who can deal with it.

You would have said the same about the SJP expansion 5 years ago

And? 5 years ago no one could have predicted that we would be in the freefall that we were at the end of Fred's time. That's stunning, don't you think? 10 years ago I don't think many predicted that we'd be in financial trouble and our future would be looking seemingly bleak. That's the main thing I've been trying to say so far, though god knows I've tried my best to sound as confusing as possible.

??????

And in 5 years time Wenger may have let and Arsenal may be struggling to get 8th place in the Premier league.

You've said exactly what I was getting at, the Emirates looks sound now, SJP look sound 5 years ago

Aye, the MANAGER makes a massive difference, which is where we went wrong with the appointment of Souness, obviously.

.....or even the sacking of SBR?

didn't hear too many voices against it at the time.

Never mind, after today, do you hope the club continue carrying on putting the books first, standby for more real mediocrity or worse. I thought when the Halls and Shepherd left, all this mediocrity would come to an end. I reckon we need a few of these quality trophy players to get up the league a bit, don't you

I've always been unhappy with the sacking of SBR.

I dont know what agenda you have me trying to push but you have the wrong man, i wasnt for Shepard during his reign as chairmen, although i supported most of his decisions. I am not one of these people who think the new board are magically sorting out all the problems, but i am extremely encouraged by what has already occured with the new board, but i feel obliged to respond to some absolute stupendous critism of the new board which is borderline idiotic. considering that we are 5 months into their ownership. Whehther you turn out to be correct or wrong is irrelevant to me but to sit there and criticise something so quickly with absolutley NOTHING solid to back it up except for some loose misinterpretation is mind boggling to me.

Idiotic.

A simple FACT, dear boy, is that Sir Bobby Robson's team was booed for only finishing 5th, this epitomised the feeling of a lot of fans at that time. I would presume those who booed the team that day were the same people - like booboo - who laugh at the team when they aren't performing well.

I'm not saying that you were one of those, because I don't know, but what I do know is if you ignore this comment, you are ignoring history. So don't start laying the blame at the feet of the board, they acted in what was thought was the decision to be made at the time. Most fans backed it - even those who didn't shamefully boo - the only problem was the replacement. What a shame we didn't find the next Arsene Wenger though during the last decade eh, how incompetent can you get

they acted in what was thought was the decision to be made at the time

And turned out to be wrong, hence my point about the mistake occuring at the sacking of SBR and not the appointment of Souness.

oh dear.

You still don't get it.

Clearly..... if you make a decision, no matter how good the intentions and merits of the decision, if it transpires to be a bad decision then you take responsibilty for that decision. I'm saying that the sacking of SBR is where we went wrong, not the appointment of Souness.

I think SBR was a victim of what happened against Partizan Belgrade at the beginning of the season, that and his age. Im saying that the majority of fans who thought it was right to sack him, were wrong.  Yes i saw the season, and the football wasnt as good as the precedining seasons, but despite this we still finished 5th. That speaks volumes to me.

You aren't saying the decision to sack him was wrong at all, you are saying his replacement was a tosser, and I wouldn't disagree with you on that score. Although many people said we should back him, and backed his sales and changes. Again the operative phrase is "at the time". Hindsight is easy.

If we had sacked him and replaced him with Arsene Wenger, I doubt you would have said then that sacking him was a "mistake". I hope you can see the difference.

BTW, I'm beginning to think you may be thompers but without the swearing  ;D

the quickest way is to spend money you don't have.

I'll eagerly await the "big four" apart from Chelsea and most of the rest of the teams in the league going into administration then.

Strange how all these people who are slating having ambiton are unable to see this is how the top 4 became the top 4, and our relative success in our recent past has also came as a result of the same thing. Do they really think you can be successful unless you try to compete at the top levels ?

Quite amazing.

Do you not think that it acould also be due to the fact they made astute appointments and didnt sack them as regularly as they changed their pants.?

Well, are you saying we should have stuck with Dalglish ?

Or Gullit, and not therefore appointed Bobby Robson when we did ?

Been here before mate, the appointments arent what im scrutinizing, the 2 major responsiblities of the board are the appointment of the right manager adn the backing of the manager, for years, like the top 4 we have backied the manager, but when it comes to appointing and sticking by the right manager, we've failed miserably, and it kinda shows in the urrent gulf of class between us and the top 4.

Im saying that the rotation of managers is the reason why we're behind the top4.

Are you now ?

The top 4 have kept the manager because they were in the top 4 wouldn't you say .......

Why is the 5th most qualified club for europe over a decade = Shite managers all the time ?

Are Everton behind the top 4 because they have rotated their managers ? Moyes has been there longer than Chelsea and Liverpools current managers .......

And, do you therefore think we should have kept Dalglish and Gullit ?

I tell you something, which is categoricaly correct. We can keep any manager you care to name at this club for 20 years if you like, but if the board don't match the ambition of the boards at the top 4 clubs, we will never join them.

thats him, re-writing history again to favour his agenda, sorted.

Absolutely correct, thats 4 of us telling him. He'll probably still dispute it though  :lol:

It's got nothing to do with re-writing history, my comments are based on facts.  Robson had two bad starts before he was sacked and he'd managed to turn things around, who is to say that he couldn't have done it again?

FACT ... is what all 4 of us have tried to tell you. The vast majority of people sensed we needed a change, including the board.  And the players - and  BR - were soundly given the bird for only finishing 5th. Take it or leave it, but don't re-write history and say they weren't, because they were.

Crikey, "only finishing 5th"

Let me tell you young man, if you were around pre 1992 when we had  really shit boards only finishing 5th wouldnt be part of your vocabulary. You should of seen of league finishings in the previous 30 years.

unable to see the sarcasm .........

The Emirates will pay itself off, that's why it's not a massive financial risk. The naming thing has already secured Arsenal £150m or so, so they're well on their way to securing enough money to pay for it.

And the other three, even though they have debts that would be massive risks for most clubs, they've got rich owners who can deal with it.

And? 5 years ago no one could have predicted that we would be in the freefall that we were at the end of Fred's time. That's stunning, don't you think? 10 years ago I don't think many predicted that we'd be in financial trouble and our future would be looking seemingly bleak. That's the main thing I've been trying to say so far, though god knows I've tried my best to sound as confusing as possible.

??????

And in 5 years time Wenger may have let and Arsenal may be struggling to get 8th place in the Premier league.

You've said exactly what I was getting at, the Emirates looks sound now, SJP look sound 5 years ago

Aye, the MANAGER makes a massive difference, which is where we went wrong with the appointment of Souness, obviously.

Never mind, after today, do you hope the club continue carrying on putting the books first, standby for more real mediocrity or worse. I thought when the Halls and Shepherd left, all this mediocrity would come to an end. I reckon we need a few of these quality trophy players to get up the league a bit, don't you

I dont know what agenda you have me trying to push but you have the wrong man, i wasnt for Shepard during his reign as chairmen, although i supported most of his decisions. I am not one of these people who think the new board are magically sorting out all the problems, but i am extremely encouraged by what has already occured with the new board, but i feel obliged to respond to some absolute stupendous critism of the new board which is borderline idiotic. considering that we are 5 months into their ownership. Whehther you turn out to be correct or wrong is irrelevant to me but to sit there and criticise something so quickly with absolutley NOTHING solid to back it up except for some loose misinterpretation is mind boggling to me.

Idiotic.

A simple FACT, dear boy, is that Sir Bobby Robson's team was booed for only finishing 5th, this epitomised the feeling of a lot of fans at that time. I would presume those who booed the team that day were the same people - like booboo - who laugh at the team when they aren't performing well.

I'm not saying that you were one of those, because I don't know, but what I do know is if you ignore this comment, you are ignoring history. So don't start laying the blame at the feet of the board, they acted in what was thought was the decision to be made at the time. Most fans backed it - even those who didn't shamefully boo - the only problem was the replacement. What a shame we didn't find the next Arsene Wenger though during the last decade eh, how incompetent can you get

And turned out to be wrong, hence my point about the mistake occuring at the sacking of SBR and not the appointment of Souness.

oh dear.

You still don't get it.

Clearly..... if you make a decision, no matter how good the intentions and merits of the decision, if it transpires to be a bad decision then you take responsibilty for that decision. I'm saying that the sacking of SBR is where we went wrong, not the appointment of Souness.

I think SBR was a victim of what happened against Partizan Belgrade at the beginning of the season, that and his age. Im saying that the majority of fans who thought it was right to sack him, were wrong.  Yes i saw the season, and the football wasnt as good as the precedining seasons, but despite this we still finished 5th. That speaks volumes to me.

You aren't saying the decision to sack him was wrong at all, you are saying his replacement was a tosser, and I wouldn't disagree with you on that score. Although many people said we should back him, and backed his sales and changes. Again the operative phrase is "at the time". Hindsight is easy.

If we had sacked him and replaced him with Arsene Wenger, I doubt you would have said then that sacking him was a "mistake". I hope you can see the difference.

Let me put this clearer to you, i am saying the decision to sack SBR was wrong. Full Stop. I am saying the replacement dfied any logic, and was a reactive appointement as oppsed to a bold proactive appointments.

If Wenger was appointed, i'd still say the decision was a bad one, purely because of the fact that SBR didnt deserve to be sacked.

Id of been happy with the appoitment of Wenger, so please dont misinterpret that, but these are 2 completely different situations. Im scrtunizing the decison of sacking SBR. Which as ORIGINALLY stated in ym very origninal post was where we went wrong and not the appointment of Souness.

Man,

You won't find a post from me saying we didn't need to change the board DAve. I would never oppose any change that would improve the club, at any level or any part of it.

What you will find, is posts saying that replacements that would be better are far from automatic, and would be quite difficult to find. So - to re-iterate again, although I hope you aren't going to tell me there is no need for this, when you are forcing it to be so.

The new board have not done better than the old board, until they have at least matched the Champions League qualifications, and sustained it for a longer period. Would you go along with this ?

You won't find a post from me saying we didn't need to change the board DAve. I would never oppose any change that would improve the club, at any level or any part of it.

What you will find, is posts saying that replacements that would be better are far from automatic, and would be quite difficult to find. So - to re-iterate again, although I hope you aren't going to tell me there is no need for this, when you are forcing it to be so.

The new board have not done better than the old board, until they have at least matched the Champions League qualifications, and sustained it for a longer period. Would you go along with this ?

Of course. I thought that point was so obvious it doesn't need clarification.

Paying off the debt is a good start.

You won't find a post from me saying we didn't need to change the board DAve.

So Mort doesn't have to only beat the CL qualification he has to do so for longer.  Does he also have to score more goals while conceding less and gain more points at every stage and in every game?

This is an interesting one for me NE5. Do you think the new board have to reach the heights hit by the previous board to be a success, or do they merely have to do better than the previous board would have done had they continued?

I'm of the opinion that, overall, the old board did a very good job for NUFC, however I feel that we were on the decline under them, and things weren't particularly showing any signs of getting much better. If we, for instance, finish about 6th-8th on average over the next few years (which I don't believe we would have done under the old board, had they stayed on) would you count that as success? Or would you require the same heights that the old board hit at their peak?

Sorry if this is a bit wordily phrased, I've had a few mulled wines.

??????

Idiotic.

oh dear.

You still don't get it.

Let me put this clearer to you, i am saying the decision to sack SBR was wrong. Full Stop. I am saying the replacement dfied any logic, and was a reactive appointement as oppsed to a bold proactive appointments.

If Wenger was appointed, i'd still say the decision was a bad one, purely because of the fact that SBR didnt deserve to be sacked.

Id of been happy with the appoitment of Wenger, so please dont misinterpret that, but these are 2 completely different situations. Im scrtunizing the decison of sacking SBR. Which as ORIGINALLY stated in ym very origninal post was where we went wrong and not the appointment of Souness.

Man,

I'm not sure if I agree with that. You could say all sackings are reactive, they are reactions to getting bad results and feeling the need to change. If the club sack Allardyce tomorrow, would you not call that a reactive sacking ?

Would you be in favour of it ?

You are saying that sacking Bobby Robson was a mistake, and I'm saying it only came to be so because of the replacement. AT THE TIME, the vast majority of people thought we needed a change of manager, including the board, and I fail to see why they should view it any differently to the majority of the clubs supporters.

As you admit yourself, above, that you would have been pleased if Wenger had succeeded Robson, you are completely proving my point, and I'm not putting words into your mouth, its just that you can't see that you are agreeing with my point.

Jesus Christ!!

I thought you just didn't agree over these past months, but it honestly looks like you have a head full of mud like some of the clowns on here that I laugh at while writing my posts. It really looks as though you just don't get it, you don't understand where people are coming from.

I am actually stunned at your post above.

By the way, sacking Robson when he was sacked was a mistake. He should have gone after we finished 3rd. Anybody who was going to the matches should at least understand why I'm saying that even IF they don't agree and wanted to stick by him. That would be a difference of opinion and that's ok.

Anyone coming back with sarcastic shite about how we'd like to finish 5th now may as well not bother because they'll be contributing nothing to the point, so they can sod off in advance before they ruin this thread even further.

Ta

This is an interesting one for me NE5. Do you think the new board have to reach the heights hit by the previous board to be a success, or do they merely have to do better than the previous board would have done had they continued?

I'm of the opinion that, overall, the old board did a very good job for NUFC, however I feel that we were on the decline under them, and things weren't particularly showing any signs of getting much better. If we, for instance, finish about 6th-8th on average over the next few years (which I don't believe we would have done under the old board, had they stayed on) would you count that as success? Or would you require the same heights that the old board hit at their peak?

Not much doubt that appointing Souness was a mistake and the club suffered. I think that appointing a good manager would have put the club back on the right road again though, as they had more than proved they had ambition and they would support him.

I think the club should always be aiming for the top places, but realistically you have to accept that in football, such things just aren't possible. So long as you have an ambitious board that will back their manager, then NUFC always have a chance of this.

Yes I think the current board have to at least match those Champions League qualifications to begin to be a success. If they top it, then I would say they would rightfully be more successful. If they top it off with a trophy, on the back of a very good league positions, even better. I fail to see how they can be considered a success if they fail to match those Champions League qualifications.

So on face value, qualifying for the CL is a good achievement though on its own merits, and must be considered to be successful, today. It wouldn't have been so much before the Champions League but things have changed. However the long term aim is to build a club that will sustain it longer and make the breakthrough in terms of winning trophies.

If you look over the course of the next decade, I would hope that we can do this, and if he sells the club on, then we would look back on him having run a successful club and done very well.

By the way, sacking Robson when he was sacked was a mistake. He should have gone after we finished 3rd. Anybody who was going to the matches should at least understand why I'm saying that even IF they don't agree and wanted to stick by him. That would be a difference of opinion and that's ok.

Fair enough, and I wasn't a regular attendee then. In hindsight, we went backwards from there, it was a perfect opportunity to move on and push further.

I've said to you before that I would have given him the next season myself, but done the same deed after the 5th finish.

Anyone coming back with sarcastic shite about how we'd like to finish 5th now may as well not bother because they'll be contributing nothing to the point, so they can sod off in advance before they ruin this thread even further.

Ta

I agree in hindsight, although I probably didn't at the time. If we could have got someone top class in for him after that season it really would have moved us up to the next level. Incidentally, what are your thoughts on the time he was sacked? Do you think, given the circumstance it would have been better to let him see out the year, whilst searching for a new manager to bring in, or did you agree with sacking him asap? Not trying to trap you in any way, just interested in your opinion.

I was always a huge Bobby fan, which I guess blinded me to his faults a bit - and didn't want him to go at any point during his tenure, but was happy to accept it was his last season and that we were looking for a long term replacement.

I wouldnt. Because comparing era's is totally flawed.

Why ? Why should you lower your ambitions ?

Not much doubt that appointing Souness was a mistake and the club suffered. I think that appointing a good manager would have put the club back on the right road again though, as they had more than proved they had ambition and they would support him.

I think the club should always be aiming for the top places, but realistically you have to accept that in football, such things just aren't possible. So long as you have an ambitious board that will back their manager, then NUFC always have a chance of this.

Yes I think the current board have to at least match those Champions League qualifications to begin to be a success. If they top it, then I would say they would rightfully be more successful. If they top it off with a trophy, on the back of a very good league positions, even better. I fail to see how they can be considered a success if they fail to match those Champions League qualifications.

So on face value, qualifying for the CL is a good achievement though on its own merits, and must be considered to be successful, today. It wouldn't have been so much before the Champions League but things have changed. However the long term aim is to build a club that will sustain it longer and make the breakthrough in terms of winning trophies.

If you look over the course of the next decade, I would hope that we can do this, and if he sells the club on, then we would look back on him having run a successful club and done very well.

That's fair enough, and I can see your point of view. In my opinion it's getting harder and harder to break into the top 4, and I will see regular UEFA qualification as a moderate success, provided we show ambition in the transfer and manager market, because I think the old board was past its best and would have struggled to get us back up there. I, like you, and I'm sure all other NUFC fans, would dearly love to see us back up challanging the top 4 though.

You sound disappointed. bluelaugh.gif

Maybe you're right and I am. I have quite a large mental list in my mind of people I often disagree with but who post stuff worth reading. After all, it's a forum and we don't have to agree and that's ok. The rest are just a joke imo.

Why ? Why should you lower your ambitions ?

Maybe a case of looking at the opposition than lowering ambitions. Can you imagine any promoted team finishing third in the Premier League ever again? I can't.

Fair enough, and I wasn't a regular attendee then. In hindsight, we went backwards from there, it was a perfect opportunity to move on and push further.

I've said to you before that I would have given him the next season myself, but done the same deed after the 5th finish.

Just wanted to add that he wasn't sacked for "only finishing 5th." Anybody clinging to that doesn't know what they're talking about. It isn't hindsight that we started going backwards DURING the season we finished 3rd.

Edit: Obviously meant "wasn't"

Just wanted to add that he was sacked for "only finishing 5th." Anybody clinging to that doesn't know what they're talking about. It isn't hindsight that we started going backwards DURING the season we finished 3rd.

We were worse when we finished 3rd than the year before, agreed.

Nobody knows for certain how things would have gone for us if we hadn't sacked Robson when we did, he could have easily taken us to another level if given time.  Keegan gave us 3rd place in his first season then went backwards to 6th before pushing on again and Keegan had none of the experience that Robson had to fall back on.  I’m confident that if Bobby had been backed he’d have got it right again.  If he’d been allowed to replace Woodgate with a defender and also strengthened elsewhere then we’d have been OK.