Mort: I’m in charge

Mr Logic

Sunday Sun; Neil Farrington..

THEY say Chris Mort is a puppet chairman, his strings pulled by the man with the money and the power.

They say he is a stuffy, southern lawyer who will never understand Newcastle United or Tyneside – or their conjoined relationship.

They say he and owner Mike Ashley are ready to peddle Sam Allardyce – and even the club – at any time.

“They” should read on.

Yes, Chris Mort is both an outsider and an emissary. But he sounds like no errand boy.

Instead, in the most in-depth and candid interview of his five-month reign, chairman Mort makes numerous things clear.

Not least his and Ashley’s long- term commitment to United. And to Sam Allardyce.

But most of all, Mort makes plain – Big Sam take note – that he is very much his own man.

It has been a largely upbeat week at a club down on its uppers in recent months, so Mort’s unequivocal backing for Allardyce, who continues to divide opinions among fans, is unsurprising.

Talk of sounding out other managers, including Fabio Capello, is dismissed with derision.

Instead, Mort insists he and Allardyce are already planning for next summer and beyond.

But what adds spice to Mort’s solid show of support for Big Sam is his readiness to defy his manager’s January transfer window wishes.

The admission that Mort and Ashley decided whether to dispense with Allardyce before the season even began is another eye-opener.

More of which later.

First, Mort is keen to tackle the theories that Ashley is making all the decisions that matter at St James’s – and that sacking Allardyce could yet be prominent among them.

“If people want to say I’m a puppet, fine. But it doesn’t reflect the reality,” says Mort.

“I’ve been consistent throughout, Mike’s been consistent throughout. He didn’t want to get involved in the business side.

“He’s got his own massive, multi- national business. That’s his day job and he doesn’t want Newcastle United to become a day job as well.

“So he wants me to run the club and he wants to come and support it, which he thoroughly enjoys doing.

“He just wants me to get on with it. I understand what the financial spend of the club can be, but within those constraints it’s for me to go and run the business, and that includes deciding to sign players.

“In the summer, he didn’t get involved in any of the signings. That’s not the role he wants.

“We travel to games together, we talk as mates do about the team and how it’s going. But he’s not out to influence who’s in the team.

“He seems less involved day to day than, say, Roman Abramovich is at Chelsea. Mike’s a passionate supporter. In fact, my conversations with Mike in the context of Newcastle tend to be on matchdays and not often in between.”

So is Mort’s faith in Allardyce, never mind that of Ashley, more substantial than the positive soundbites issued by chairman and owner?

Despite the revelation that Big Sam’s tenure might have been over almost before it began, the answer is yes.

“Mike and I discussed at the start whether he (Allardyce) was the right person, because he wasn’t our appointment,” admits Mort.

“We had to decide whether we were going to stay with Sam or not. We concluded then that we should.

“He’s an experienced manager – and this club needs one because it’s a big club to run and there are some significant demands here.

“Since then, we’ve never sought to think about ‘right, who’s next?’”

Not even amid the slump in form which had seen United take two Premier League points out 18 before yesterday’s visit of Birmingham?

“Nothing’s changed between Sam and me,” Mort adds. “We sit down, go through business and talk about what’s happening with the team.

“We are both very frustrated by the level of inaccurate Press comment that’s been around over recent weeks, particularly in the nationals.

“But I assume Sam would say he feels that, in terms of a management and ownership team, we are stable and not going to do anything crazy.

“He and I are making plans about what’s happening next summer in terms of signings and the like.

“We’ve talked about how we’re planning to build this club up over a long period of time, and those are still our topics of conversation.”

Mort is dismissive of the idea that Ashley, although widely regarded as a loose cannon in the business world, is impetuous enough to fire Allardyce on a whim. His long-term investment in firms like Slazenger, Dunlop, Lonsdale, Everlast is cited as proof that Ashley has stickability.

“He has taken them under his wing and developed them over a period of years,” says Mort. “That’s what we talk about doing with Newcastle.”

They may be talking now, but frostier conversations may lie ahead for Mort and Allardyce.

Asked about their New Year transfer plans, Mort responds: “We had nine new signings in the summer . . . I think part of the difficulty we’ve had – particularly in defence – is getting those guys working together.

“I’m not convinced adding another two names in defence is necessarily going to be the solution this season.

“If I made any signings in January, they’d be young guys who I could see staying for a very long time, not immediate first-team regulars.”

Braced for the prospect of losing Abdoulaye Faye, Habib Beye, Geremi and Obafemi Martins for six weeks or more in January and February to the African Nations Cup, Allardyce may beg to differ.

But Mort insists: “Sam’s not pitched to me that we need to sign players because of that tournament.

“If I was going to sign anyone it would be with a much longer-term view than January and February.”

That means a policy shift at a club synonymous with trophy signings.

“Yes, we’re looking to build a first- team squad capable of competing at the top level, but we are also looking to improve at youth level and make signings there,” says Mort.

“That’s an area which Newcastle United, historically, hasn’t worried too much about. But Arsenal are the classic club to look at and see the value of making very smart young signings and developing players.”

In a city struggling to look past its team’s next game, that would be a bold policy.

Yet just one of many being pursued by a chairman who, never mind Mike Ashley, is warming to his task.

Some interesting statements in there, not least the potential direction the club will be taking in buying policy.

His reasoning behind it seems sound enough though.. I think part of the difficulty we’ve had – particularly in defence – is getting those guys working together. “I’m not convinced adding another two names in defence is necessarily going to be the solution this season.

TBF he doesn't say it won't happen, just he's not convinced. A lot of the new players are getting slagged off as not good enough before they've had a chance to develop understanding together. That some of them also look unsuited to the premiership is also too early to say with any certainty.

If it means a solid productive summer tranfer window I'd be happy enough with a couple of youngsters for the squad.

Some rather worrying comments about the Jan window.

Like?

“If I made any signings in January, they’d be young guys who I could see staying for a very long time, not immediate first-team regulars.”

Like?

As opposed to?

Like?

?If I made any signings in January, they?d be young guys who I could see staying for a very long time, not immediate first-team regulars.?

As opposed to?

IMO we need a couple of first team players in Jan if poss...Or we should be looking for some anyway although it isn't the ideal time I realise.

I'd rather us go for a few youngsters and build the squad up for the future than buy 29-30 year olds on heavy wages, limited talent, and very little future in the game.

If were going to do this properly we need to start looking about for the next best, not quick fixes which really fix fuk all.

It just depends on how big an ambition we have to go for the best of the best youngsters out there which need some fine tuning and time to adapt, a few more Zoggy's would do me fine, a route i'm happy with 150%.

I'd be surprised if we didn't bring in at least one "senior" player in the window, mind, which would probably be enough if certain players would stay fit.

The squad isn't exactly small these days, it's just we have 3/4 players who are never fit and until they can be sold/released I can't see them being replaced.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a player like David Edgar being a bit closer to the first team, if necessary.

I'd be surprised if we didn't bring in at least one "senior" player in the window, mind, which would probably be enough if certain players would stay fit.

The squad isn't exactly small these days, it's just we have 3/4 players who are never fit and until they can be sold/released I can't see them being replaced.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a player like David Edgar being a bit closer to the first team, if necessary.

Mort is talking sense, but as I've suspected for some time he is of a very conservative nature. It's all very well saying we want to be like Arsenal etc...And thinking long term...But we're only half way through the season and some of the top 6/7 are still losing games and will continue to each other...I feel one or two good senior signing in Jan would make a big differeance.

Mort is talking sense, but as I've suspected for some time he is of a very conservative nature. It's all very well saying we want to be like Arsenal etc...And thinking long term...But we're only half way through the season and some of the top 6/7 are still losing games and will continue to each other...I feel one or two good senior signing in Jan would make a big differeance.

I think it would as well, but maybe their approach is to get some youngsters in, then if a decent player for a decent price comes up then go for him; instead of publicly looking for players and to be held over a barrel ala Boumsong a few winters windows ago.

squad depth isn't a problem imo, tho the one area where we're not exactly brimming with talent is the right side after selling Solano and Dyer, but even here we have Milner and Geremi, and Duff if he's ever fit. when it comes to transfers it's more about getting quality in attacking areas or to improve the first XI rather than buying squad fillers and these sort of sigings cost more than the cheap stuff we picked up in the summer. that was a unique situation where we had a threadbare senior squad and simply had to get the bodies in.

Does that mean Mort has written off our chances of qualifying for Europe this season? Because it doesnt look like the current squad is strong enough to. If he hasnt written it off, thats quite a judgement/prediction to say that the current lot can turn it around.

I think it would as well, but maybe their approach is to get some youngsters in, then if a decent player for a decent price comes up then go for him; instead of publicly looking for players and to be held over a barrel ala Boumsong a few winters windows ago.

Plus, I think the days of coming out to the media and bragging about the money we will need to spend strengthening the defence etc.. are long gone with the previous regime having now thankfully fucked off. Mort's comments could well be a smokescreen. I hope they are. But if not, then I'm still not worried, as I personally have faith in Big Sam's plans.

Does that mean Mort has written off our chances of qualifying for Europe this season? Because it doesnt look like the current squad is strong enough to. If he hasnt written it off, thats quite a judgement/prediction to say that the current lot can turn it around.

God knows what bollocks fat Sam is feeding him. The current squad as you say isn't quite good enough and with Villa, Man C and Blackburn still showing weakness I feel with a couple of good Jan swoops we could still fight for Euro.

Long termism is good but should be continuing in the background as a foundation. First team matters are infinetely more sensitive and have an immediate impact on a clubs fortunes.

Plus, I think the days of coming out to the media and bragging about the money we will need to spend strengthening the defence etc.. are long gone with the previous regime having now thankfully fucked off. Mort's comments could well be a smokescreen. I hope they are. But if not, then I'm still not worried, as I personally have faith in Big Sam's plans.

Yeah its fair to say that previous approach got us fuking nowhere apart from near bankrupcy.

It would be nice to be dazzled with a big name attacking mid like VDV or Diego, but if we have to wait a little longer to attract that quality then so be it, its the price you pay for poor board level decisions and failure at every level for several seasons.

God knows what bollocks fat Sam is feeding him. The current squad as you say isn't quite good enough and with Villa, Man C and Blackburn still showing weakness I feel with a couple of good Jan swoops we could still fight for Euro.

Long termism is good but should be continuing in the background as a foundation. First team matters are infinetely more sensitive and have an immediate impact on a clubs fortunes.

Mort's quite clearly stated he thinks this squad is only going to get better in time and that a lot of our problems so far have been due to the fact that the squad isn't settled/hasn't gelled yet - which he has a lot of supporting evidence for, particularly when you look at most of the goals we've conceded. We almost brought in half a first team squad over the summer, most of them being foreign and some not even being able to speak the language.

As always with these sorts of interviews, we never know what his real intentions are, but if he is speaking the truth about our plans then I can see why we'd be adopting that approach.

Unless someone of genuine quality becomes available that Allardyce/Ashley/Mort all want to bring here, it's fair enough that we'd be sticking with what we have and planning for the long-term.

Plus, I think the days of coming out to the media and bragging about the money we will need to spend strengthening the defence etc.. are long gone with the previous regime having now thankfully f***** off. Mort's comments could well be a smokescreen. I hope they are. But if not, then I'm still not worried, as I personally have faith in Big Sam's plans.

Yeah its fair to say that previous approach got us fuking nowhere apart from near bankrupcy.

It would be nice to be dazzled with a big name attacking mid like VDV or Diego, but if we have to wait a little longer to attract that quality then so be it, its the price you pay for poor board level decisions and failure at every level for several seasons.

I think publicly, we're going about things in a casual manner. Hopefully, this will mean clubs wont hold us to ransom knowing we are desperate for x or y player. That's what I'm hoping is going on.

Why would addressing a blatant weakness in the side be considered a trophy signing? Thats also nonsense, no one is demanding we bring in a trophy signing, just some creativity and pace in the midfield and up front which everyone can see we need.

I hope its a smokescreen and Arshavin is still on the cards.

Mort's quite clearly stated he thinks this squad is only going to get better in time and that a lot of our problems so far have been due to the fact that the squad isn't settled/hasn't gelled yet - which he has a lot of supporting evidence for, particularly when you look at most of the goals we've conceded. We almost brought in half a first team squad over the summer, most of them being foreign and some not even being able to speak the language.

As always with these sorts of interviews, we never know what his real intentions are, but if he is speaking the truth about our plans then I can see why we'd be adopting that approach.

Unless someone of genuine quality becomes available that Allardyce/Ashley/Mort all want to bring here, it's fair enough that we'd be sticking with what we have and planning for the long-term.

Meanwhile Pompey and Man City will spend on the first team (or have indicated they will).

As someone said earlier we need a right sided attacking option of good quality.

I wonder if Mort really understands how toothless we really are in reality.

Meanwhile Pompey and Man City will spend on the first team (or have indicated they will).

As someone said earlier we need a right sided attacking option of good quality.

I wonder if Mort really understands how toothless we really are in reality.

They have 5th and 6th sewn up imo.

Mort understands though, all those years sitting on the terraces have given him a great insight into team performance issues.