SBR: NUFC has suffered ever since I was sacked

Dave

as most say - the decision seemed inevitable, but the timing was shite.

we should have kept bobby for the entire season, and the gracefully have brought in someone competent to take over.

the whole situation was a bit of a farce

top man!

The board failed to back SBR when we finished 4th, we would always be on the decline compared to the other teams in the top 5 as they were investing in their squads.  So 5th was a correct finishing place for us when you look back at what happend.

The board however realising it had dropped a MASSIVE clanger in appointing the muppet Souness who's first season helped us reach 14th or summik was given a massive 38 million and spunked it all on SHYTE. 

The board gambled giving Souness those mega bucks and failed.  We have been paying for this gamble ever since.

The time to invest heavily in a team is when its  on the way up. 

I personally believe he should have stayed in charge longer, and any problems we were having, he would have fixed.

And even if he didn't fix them, he wouldn't have massively exacerbated them as our scottish friend did.

I agree that Robson had pretty much reached the end of the line, I don't think sacking him was necessarily a mistake, although the timing and the manner of it lacked class. As others have said, it was the choice for his successor that was the big mistake

The word was generally put about that Robson was going a bit senile, which may have been true, but he still had the balls to be prepared to drop Shearer and use Bellamy and Kluivert when needed. I don't think this went down too well with Big Al who seemed to have Shepherd mesmerised with his 'Geordie legend' status.

Robson did have a problem controlling his younger players like Dyer and Bellamy - but then he also got the best out of them as opposed to Souness's cack handed attempts at being a disciplinarian. Robson should have been given the rest of the season and then replaced. I would have liked to see how he'd have handled Shearer and Kluivert vying for the main CF role.

Nobody mentions the impact that the 'lap of honour' to a stadium 25% full at the last league game (Wolves?) the end of the season before he was sacked...

Fans had a part in this ... Might have been misread by Shepherd, but in a sense, I guess Shepherd was trying to do his job, in keeping season tickets up (not sure how the renewals were that summer)

But the timing... 4 games in - that was unacceptable from Shepherd. So glad he's gone

Appointing the useless Souness was the problem. He has damaged this club massively and we are still in pain thanks to him. He is probably the worst manager around and its laughable that anyone could hire him. Imagine if we would have appointed some real quality after Sir Bobby. Someone like Hitzfeld or Van Gaal would have done a whole lot better.

And let's also not forget that the two key signings of his time here (Bellamy & Robert) were only signed after Jeffers snubbed us for Arsenal and Zenden buggered off to Chelsea. Always wonder what would have happened had they signed.

Excellent point Nut. Bobby really was incredibly lucky that those two turkeys turned us down as Bellamy and Robert were the catalyst to turn us from a mid table outfit to Champions League qualifiers.

And let's also not forget that the two key signings of his time here (Bellamy & Robert) were only signed after Jeffers snubbed us for Arsenal and Zenden buggered off to Chelsea. Always wonder what would have happened had they signed.

you could equally say we only got Butt and Carr because Shepherd was hesitant about going for Carrick and Miguel, so it evens out. he did a fantastic job, his departure was completely bungled, the manner, the timing, the undermining by the chairman, the replacement. a smooth succession either at the end of 2003/04 or 2004/05 would've been in everyone's interests but we got the worst possible outcome. to think we were at Liverpool's level for 3 seasons, yet the actions of the respective boards in the summer of 2004 has took the clubs down totally divergent paths.

The last season SBR in charge was the maximum limit he can bring the team, we can't go higher. And his maximum limit wasn't good enough.

In his last season Sir Bobby Robson got 5th and a Uefa Cup Semi Final that was the maximum that "wasn't good enough"?

Dear me how many many more utterly useless arguments are there that agree to a sacking of a man 16 days and 4 games into a new season after getting us 3rd, 4th, 5th playing Champions League football and consistently qualifying for European competition?

How long will this club have to wait till we hit the heights of Sir Bobby Robson's 3rd, 4th, 5th and Champions League football again? a very very very long time but such is the reality when you get rid of something special you get exactly what you deserve.

We sacked a man who had got us 3rd, 4th, 5th and Champions League football, a man who had won 10 major trophies as a manager, a man who is the most successful British manager to manager abroad winning 7 trophies in 3 different top leagues in Europe (Spain, Holland, Portugal) managing the likes of Barcelona to European Cup glory, a man who took England's national team the furthest its ever been in a World Cup abroad in history we lost a great man but a even greater manager.

Don't worry lads Sam Allardyce is the answer just like Greame Souness was "the disciplinarian will sort that dressing room out" and Glenn Roeder was dear me only at Newcastle United.

And at the same time again, didn't Robson eye Mpenza as a possible Shearer replacement? While it's widely acknowledged that he preferred Beattie to Kluivert.

and he also wanted Tevez before anyone had heard of him, and a young Xabi Alonso was also on the list of midfielders along with butt and carrick, while seitaridis was his 1st choice right-back before he broke his leg, or how we were allegedly minutes from completing the Terry transfer which would've given us the best centre-half pairing in the premiership and arguably in europe.

As people said timing and lack of a quality replacement was the problem not so much that we failed without Robson, Wonder what Big Sam could have done with Robsons team, think we would have had a quality team with some of big sams defenders in, the likes of Faye,Cacapa, beye etc..

If Robson's sacking was a necessary evil in the eventual downfall of Shepherd and the Halls, then I'm afraid I can't look back on it with anything other than a smile. Hindsight, as usual, is a wonderful thing.

Sir Bobby is spot on.  Life after Bobby has been dreadful, and it was all down to us failing to quality for Champions League football.  Bobby would have likely clinched another Champ League spot if kept as manager, where instead we suffered a few years of Souness and Roeder.

Hard to disagree, though the timing/handling not the actual decision was my issue with the whole debacle.

Exactly.

SBR had certainly lost the plot in the end, but the timing was abysmal, and I'd never have just sacked him.

Of course ars*hol*s like Bellamy and Dyer and Jenas contributed to the nth degree, eh ?

Also, we might have "suffered" in regards to league positions and results since 04/05, but surely the club itself has improved since Robson left?

You could also say that the fans got what they deserved after that Wolves game with what happened under Souness and Roeder. They never learn, though, which is the real tragedy.

TBH i dont think SBR had much of a future when FS said he wasnt goin to renew SBR contract, FS told the media before he told SBR which is pretty bad. If FS wasnt goin to keep SBR on he should of got rid of him in June and then got a manager in for pre-season and the transfer market. Its pretty sad really because u look at Liverpool who in many ways were in the same boat as us but they got rid of houllier and got a quality manager in June where as we waited till august/september and sacked our manager and then got a complete idiot in.