Alan Smith

tmonkey

He was rubbish yesterday. Am I allowed to say that?

Far be it from me to tell anybody what they can write, that's your bag. As far as I'm concerned everybody can post whatever they like, abuse included. You can't say the same, though.

As you're probably the most prolific on here at picking up people for what you think they should and shouldn't post I think the comment is more than a bit weird coming from you.

And before you moan, this is what I'm on about.  You do stuff like this a hell of a lot: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48170.msg1121059#msg1121059

You've lost me.

He was rubbish yesterday. Am I allowed to say that?

Far be it from me to tell anybody what they can write, that's your bag. As far as I'm concerned everybody can post whatever they like, abuse included. You can't say the same, though.

As you're probably the most prolific on here at picking up people for what you think they should and shouldn't post I think the comment is more than a bit weird coming from you.

And before you moan, this is what I'm on about.  You do stuff like this a hell of a lot: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48170.msg1121059#msg1121059

You've lost me.

No more than you lose me.

It was a joke. You suggested that people saying Smith is rubbish don't actually see him play much. Well I've seen him play loads this season, including yesterday, and I thought he was rubbish. I fully expected you to pick up on the comment and avoid my point, and you did so.

Any thoughts on Smith yesterday?

The first goal just about summed Smith up. Clear sight of goal and kind of forgot what to do. He scrapped about on the floor tenaciously and then a striker put it in the corner of the net. :lol:

Do you also prefer Kieron Dire, who stands on the far post and watches a corner drop into the net right next to him ?

PS. I don't think its particularly funny Dave, shades of booboo there mate

Fuck all to do with Dyer. Look up a straw man argument. Again.

If I didn't laugh I'd cry.

what did you think of Smith when he was at Leeds Dave

It was a question BTW, are you one of those who are saying we were better off with Dire

At Leeds Smith looked like a player with potential.

Still fuck all to do with Dyer.

OK, I accept you weren't comparing him to Dire like others. Thats all I asked  :coolsmiley:

He was very good at Leeds, there is no reason why he won't still be the same, in fact there is every reason to believe he will be the same, unless the injury has permanently damaged him.

He missed nearly a whole season with injury which is easy to forget because of his no nonsense personality. I still believe he has only started delivering for us. Let's see him upfront when possible.

Yeah, lets see him up front. At another club. He's shite. Absolute shite.

Ooh, he's tenacious and aggresive. So fuck, so's my drunked uncle Al at weddings. And HE'D be shite for us as well.

Anyone who thinks Alan Smith is good enough to play for us (if we aim to be top 6) or even funnier, BE OUR CAPTAIN, can't have been actually watching any of the games he's played in.

The first goal just about summed Smith up. Clear sight of goal and kind of forgot what to do. He scrapped about on the floor tenaciously and then a striker put it in the corner of the net. :lol:

Do you also prefer Kieron Dire, who stands on the far post and watches a corner drop into the net right next to him ?

PS. I don't think its particularly funny Dave, shades of booboo there mate

Fuck all to do with Dyer. Look up a straw man argument. Again.

If I didn't laugh I'd cry.

what did you think of Smith when he was at Leeds Dave

It was a question BTW, are you one of those who are saying we were better off with Dire

At Leeds Smith looked like a player with potential.

Still fuck all to do with Dyer.

OK, I accept you weren't comparing him to Dire like others. Thats all I asked  :coolsmiley:

He was very good at Leeds, there is no reason why he won't still be the same, in fact there is every reason to believe he will be the same, unless the injury has permanently damaged him.

He missed nearly a whole season with injury which is easy to forget because of his no nonsense personality. I still believe he has only started delivering for us. Let's see him upfront when possible.

Yeah, lets see him up front. At another club. He's shite. Absolute shite.

Ooh, he's tenacious and aggresive. So fuck, so's my drunked uncle Al at weddings. And HE'D be shite for us as well.

Anyone who thinks Alan Smith is good enough to play for us (if we aim to be top 6) or even funnier, BE OUR CAPTAIN, can't have been actually watching any of the games he's played in.

Well said. :clap:

Smith is a player with the attributes to play up front, not as a midfielder. He needs time to get into it but the football retards on this forum had written him off before he even kicked a ball here for some reason, which kind of points toward it being a "dislike of the person" no matter how much people can protest otherwise. The same idiots have been writing off Duff.

Some people need to step back and take a good look at themselves.

So, noone is allowed to judge Smith based on what theyve seen (which includes a fair few games up front) throughout his career? Hes a good player and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot and biased against him?

:lol:

I think someone is a bit of a Smith fanboy.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1199911,00.html

Captain for the 'forseeable future' - fucking disgrace.

SORRY IF ALREADY POSTED.

AKA - officially undroppable

Geremi was dropped.

I know. That's not my point. Allardyce seems intent on using Smith in any way possible and by making him captain it'll deflect criticism aimed at him for sticking with the guy whether he deserves it or not.

I guess we could argue all day about good / shit Smith is. But of our other central midfield players - Butt, Geremi, Barton, Emre - are any of them actually playing better than Smith? He's not Makelele, but I can well understand Sam using him in that position, given our current choices.

And it's worth remembering that the first manager to play Smith in midfield was Sir Alex, well known for being an appalling judge of a player.

I guess we could argue all day about good / shit Smith is. But of our other central midfield players - Butt, Geremi, Barton, Emre - are any of them actually playing better than Smith? He's not Makelele, but I can well understand Sam using him in that position, given our current choices.

And it's worth remembering that the first manager to play Smith in midfield was Sir Alex, well known for being an appalling judge of a player.

He played in midfield for Leeds.

Correct. I should have said central midfield. I believe at Leeds he was out wide.

But my point is still valid. Is Sir Alex Ferguson an idiot who can't judge a player?

Correct. I should have said central midfield. I believe at Leeds he was out wide.

But my point is still valid. Is Sir Alex Ferguson an idiot who can't judge a player?

All managers make mistakes. Ferguson bought Djemba-Djemba and Kleberson.

Who were both new to English football and failed to adjust. Ferguson was very familiar with Smith and what he could do.

It was a joke. You suggested that people saying Smith is rubbish don't actually see him play much. Well I've seen him play loads this season, including yesterday, and I thought he was rubbish. I fully expected you to pick up on the comment and avoid my point, and you did so.

Not being funny, but you've got it completely wrong. As it's so incredible I'll treat this as a wind-up.

By the way, I have no thoughts on him yesterday because I didn't see the match.

I don't "avoid" points.

Correct. Again.

Who were both new to English football and failed to adjust. Ferguson was very familiar with Smith and what he could do.

Those were just examples of his less-than-perfect judgement.

I think even Ferguson found out Smith was pants in midfield eventually. I don't see how saying others are also off-form resolves him tbh. His effort is commendable, but I just don't think it's enough.

Not being funny, but you've got it completely wrong. As it's so incredible I'll treat this as a wind-up.

I don't "avoid" points.

You said, in this thread: 'some people are posting their opinions on specific players and on the team in general without seeing them play all that much.'.

What did you mean then?

I think even Ferguson found out Smith was pants in midfield eventually. I don't see how saying others are also off-form resolves him tbh. His effort is commendable, but I just don't think it's enough.

Well Ferguson certainly found that he had better options in both midfield and attack. But Ferguson is aiming to build a side that can win the Premiership and the Champions League. Just because Smith isn't in that class doesn't mean he's 'pants' or can't do a decent job for us.

I'd repeat my earlier point - which one of our central midfield players has actually been better than Smith?

Well Ferguson certainly found that he had better options in both midfield and attack. But Ferguson is aiming to build a side that can win the Premiership and the Champions League. Just because Smith isn't in that class doesn't mean he's 'pants' or can't do a decent job for us.

I'd repeat my earlier point - which one of our central midfield players has actually been better than Smith?

None of them in particular, but see my part in bold above.

Smith is a player with the attributes to play up front, not as a midfielder. He needs time to get into it but the football retards on this forum had written him off before he even kicked a ball here for some reason, which kind of points toward it being a "dislike of the person" no matter how much people can protest otherwise. The same idiots have been writing off Duff.

Some people need to step back and take a good look at themselves.

So, noone is allowed to judge Smith based on what theyve seen (which includes a fair few games up front) throughout his career? Hes a good player and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot and biased against him?

I think someone is a bit of a Smith fanboy.

I can't understand why you're quoting me unless you're confusing me with someone who gives a toss about your opinion.

I don't "avoid" points.

You said, in this thread: 'some people are posting their opinions on specific players and on the team in general without seeing them play all that much.'.

What did you mean then?

A "throwaway" comment. Do you really want me to post a link to the meaning of "context?"

The point I've been making about Smith should be obvious by now. I won't link to probably a couple of dozen posts where I've stated it. I'm sure you know what it is, but hey, you're once again picking people up on what they post.

None of them in particular, but see my part in bold above.

Well I didn't actually say that the others were off form. Butt can't pass the ball well enough and Emre is a bit weak and vulnerable defensively to compete in English football. Those aren't opinions based just on this season.

Barton and Geremi can play better I'd agree, but that doesn't make it any less exasperating that Smith seems to be the main target. They aren't playing better than Smith at the moment.

A "throwaway" comment. Do you really want me to post a link to the meaning of "context?"

The point I've been making about Smith should be obvious by now. I won't link to probably a couple of dozen posts where I've stated it. I'm sure you know what it is, but hey, you're once again picking people up on what they post.

You've just described this post well: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48068.msg1121023#msg1121023